The Forgotten Duchess

By MoonlightHunter3

After fleeing her burnt village, a woman with a mysterious past takes refuge in the home of a reticent duke... More

The Forgotten Duchess
Chapter One | Insolence
Chapter Two | Voices
Chapter Three | Surprise
Chapter Four | Mistake
Chapter Five | Research
Chapter Six | Confession
Chapter Seven | Roles
Chapter Eight | Kitten
Chapter Nine | Noir
Chapter Ten | Study
Chapter Eleven | Aunt
Chapter Twelve | Dress
Chapter Thirteen | Menu
Chapter Fourteen | Promise
Chapter Fifteen | Riding
Chapter Sixteen | Friends
Chapter Eighteen | Moonlight Sonata
Chapter Nineteen | Unrequited
Chapter Twenty | Village
Chapter Twenty-One | Hunt
Chapter Twenty-Two | Saviour
Chapter Twenty-Three | Dismissal
Chapter Twenty-Four | Irrigation
Chapter Twenty-Five | London
Chapter Twenty-Six | Urchin
Chapter Twenty-Seven | Bond Street
Chapter Twenty-Eight | Wellington
Chapter Twenty-Nine | Debutante
Chapter Thirty | Waltz
Chapter Thirty-One | Parliament
Chapter Thirty-Two | Dowry
Chapter Thirty-Three | Chess
Chapter Thirty-Four | Wish
Chapter Thirty-Five | Return
Chapter Thirty-Six | Theatre
Chapter Thirty-Seven | Offer
Chapter Thirty-Eight | Garden
Chapter Thirty-Nine | Truth
Chapter Forty | Lineage
Chapter Forty-One | Lost
Chapter Forty-Two | Companionship
Chapter Forty-Three | Key
Chapter Forty-Four | Wedding
Chapter Forty-Five | Gossip
Chapter Forty-Six | Backbone
Chapter Forty-Seven | Departure
Chapter Forty-Eight | Governess
Chapter Forty-Nine | Torture
Chapter Fifty | Darkness
Chapter Fifty-One | Water
Chapter Fifty-Two | Rescue
Chapter Fifty-Three | Hope
Chapter Fifty-Four | Belief
Chapter Fifty-Five | Awake
Chapter Fifty-Six | Duchess
Epilogue
Acknowledgements
Other Stories

Chapter Seventeen | Pale-maille

7.9K 461 25
By MoonlightHunter3

VIVIENNE WATCHED FROM behind the curtain as the first carriage pulled up at the manor. Her stomach fluttered at the thought that there would be lords and ladies filling up Chalcott manor very enough. Although she was a bit nervous, she was excited to experience a taste of what London might offer her in a fortnight's time.

"Lady Vivienne," she spun around to see Chrissy standing in the doorway of the parlour.

"Yes?"

"Lady Torrington has summoned you to her chambers."

Vivienne nodded before smiling at Chrissy, "Thank you for letting me know."

The maid didn't smile back at her and Vivienne sighed as she watched her go. Her relationship with Chrissy was not progressing and she had almost lost all hope. It was clear that Chrissy despised being her lady's maid however, nobody could go against Lady Torrington's orders. Thus, Vivienne had to endure hateful stares, dresses in which she couldn't breathe, and baths colder than they should have been. She supposed she could complain to the duke, but she hadn't seen much of him since his friends had arrive.

Indeed, they had spent the last few days either in James' study or riding into the village. Vivienne hadn't been able to resume her lessons with the duke, instead he had pawned her off to one of the stable masters. Although she didn't admit it, learning that the duke no longer had time for her hurt a bit, but Lady Torrington kept her busy.

Together the two of them wrote the guest lists, and Lady Torrington taught her quite a bit about the lords and ladies that would be visiting for the next couple of days. Vivienne learned that the guest list was only the beginning of a long process for a house party. The next step had been assigning rooms to the different guests based on their ranking in society or how much Lady Torrington favoured them.

Vivienne knocked on Lady Torrington's door and there was a gruff, "come in."

She stepped into the room surprised to see that dowager countess was also watching the various coaches come into the manor.

"You called for me?"

Lady Torrington's grey eyes scanned her from head to toe and a sense of satisfaction lit them as she took in the peach day dress Vivienne had selected. Just as quickly, her face turned into a scowl, "I wanted to remind you to keep the wretched feline away from the guests. If I see her walking around the halls, I won't hesitate to toss her out the back."

Vivienne shivered at the image. She knew that Lady Torrington would not go back on her promise. "Ginger is secure in my room. Nobody will know she even lives here."

Lady Torrington hmphed before strolling pass Vivienne. When she didn't follow her, the dowager countess turned back to her, "What are you waiting for, it's time for us to great our first guest."

Vivienne hurried after her as they gathered in the main hall. The servants stood behind them, ready to meet the guest's needs as required. Lady Torrington looked quite relaxed—the opposite of what Vivienne was feeling.

"Should the duke be here as well?" Vivienne whispered to Lady Torrington.

The dowager countess hmphed, "I told my great-nephew as much. However, he seems to believe that society's rules are sometimes above him."

Just as Lady Torrington finished her speech, there was a brief mutter among the servants as a couple of them moved away to let the duke through. He was wearing a fine brown coat with white trousers, and his brown hair had been combed back. He moved through the crowd to stand beside Lady Torrington.

"I didn't think you would make it."

James gave his aunt a serious look, "I wouldn't miss this for the world," he answered dryly.

"Don't be smart with me, where are your friends?"

"Neither Headfort nor Berkeley wanted to be subjected to welcoming guest, they both went off for a ride earlier this morning."

"I do hope they will arrive in time for the luncheon." Lady Torrington's words held a threatening tone to her voice.

"For their sake, I do hope so as well."

The duke's eyes met Vivienne's as he held her gaze for a moment, "I do not believe for a second you might actual enjoy standing here like a foolish statue, my lady."

Vivienne's cheeks warmed because she had been enjoying standing in the welcoming line. It made her feel a part of the household, but she didn't want to tell the duke that—lest he tease her more.

Before he could say anything else, the door swung open and Martin announced the first guests, "Lord and Lady Albermay."

Vivienne watched as a portly man and woman made their way towards them.

"Lennox," Lord Albermay's voice boomed through the halls. "I must say I was pleasantly surprised at the invitation to your estate."

The duke didn't smile as he took Lord Albermay's hand, "as was I."

There was a moment of silence before Lady Albermay pitched in, "Oh, Your Grace. He simply meant that we are gracious to be your house guests."

The duke turned towards the dowager countess, "Well you can thank my great-aunt for that."

Lady Torrington, to her credit ignored James hard rebuke before she turned to Lady Albermay and pulled Vivienne forward, "May I introduce my charge, Lady Vivienne?"

Vivienne smiled at the lady, still marveling over how many bows seemed to be on the lady's bonnet. Lady Albermay looked at her in a peculiar manor, "It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance."

"Likewise," Vivienne said graciously.

Before she could say anything else, it was James who cut it. "You must be exhausted from your journey; a maid will take you to your rooms."

Vivienne simply looked at the duke who was ignoring her. The Albermay's were their closest neighbours and to suggest that they would be tired of such a journey was foolish. However, it seemed that Lord Albermay understood James quite well. It had been a ducal order that James did not want ignored and so he led his wife up the stairs as they followed the footman.

Vivienne smiled slightly, "That wasn't so bad now, was it?"

Lady Torrington and the duke's shared glanced wiped the smile right off her face as James sighed, "Oh Lady Vivienne, that wasn't even half of it. It seems that you will be in for quite the treat."

***

Vivienne grabbed a drink from one of the footmen before taking a long sip. Although it wasn't quite the summer weather yet, it was still warmer, and the sun has surprisingly decided to show up as well. Guests were milling about and there was even a game of Pale-maille set up in the corner of the grounds. Vivienne had no idea what it was, but she had seen a number of ladies and gentlemen that were playing with some sort of odd palettes and balls that looked quite heavy. She was going to avoid that game if she could.

She also watched as the duke stood with his friends by his side and larger crowd of ladies who were all vying for their attention. Vivienne was fascinated as the ladies fluttered their fans often while looking coy underneath their colourful bonnets. As Lady Torrington explained to her, there was truly a level of artistry involved in gaining a gentlemen's attention and it seemed these ladies had quite the practice.

A wave of sadness enveloped her as she looked around the ground, unaware of what to do. As much as she had stood with Lady Torrington as the guest were introduced, the individuals at the garden party knew each other on a more personal level in which Vivienne could not compete. She walked towards a group of ladies who were giggling with each other before stopping a healthy distance away and turning around immediately.

She couldn't do it. What if they didn't like her? Then she would be making the guest uncomfortable, and she didn't want to do that. However, Vivienne also knew she had to grow accustomed to speaking with people because London would be much more boisterous than this current garden party. Before she could plan her escape, a voice called her out.

"Lady Vivienne."

Vivienne spun around to see that it was Lady Fiona who was calling her name. The auburn-haired lady had seemed kind enough when they had been introduced but she didn't know why she was approaching her now, of all places.

Lady Fiona held onto her cream-coloured bonnet as she walked right up to Vivienne, "This is quite the party, isn't it?"

Vivienne smiled at her, "I'm delighted you believe it to be so. It was quite the challenge to organize."

Lady Fiona returned her smile, "I can imagine, but you must take pride in yourself and all that you've accomplished."

"I do," Vivienne said sincerely.

They shared another smile. But just as Vivienne was opening her mouth to ask if she wanted to grab some sandwiches, a voice called out loudly, "Fiona!"

They both spun around to see Lord Headfort running towards them with Lord Berkeley and the duke at his heels. Vivienne watched in shock as Lady Fiona yelled out, "Henry!" Then she leapt into the Lord's arms and pressed a kiss to his cheek.

Vivienne glanced around nervously at the affectionate display a did some of the other guests. Lord Headfort placed down Lady Fiona before looking at her a bit crossly. "What are you doing here?"

Before Lady Fiona could respond, the duke and Lord Berkeley both reached them, the latter looking surprised to see the lady as well. "I didn't know you were coming here."

Lady Fiona gave Lord Berkeley a soft smile.

"It's good to see you Fiona," James added, his face not quite in a grin but softening slightly. 

Vivienne watched the reunion between the four of them, it seemed they knew each other well. It was Lord Berkeley who noticed Vivienne standing quietly in the corner and he gently brought her over.

"Lady Fiona is Lord Headfort's sister," he explained.

Vivienne looked at the siblings closely as Lady Fiona smiled noticing her assessment. "We don't really look much alike except our red hair."

Indeed, brother and sister shared the glorious red hair although Lady Fiona's looked a bit browner than her brother's.

"And I'm assuming you know the other two because of Lord Headfort?"

Lady Fiona continued smiling. "Yes, these boys have been troubling me ever since they got together after their Eton days."

"Now Fiona, you know that's not true." James said with an unusual twinkle in his eyes. "You were glad to be included whenever you could be."

Lady Fiona sighed dramatically, "That I was. Although I do wonder why since you all loved to catch toads in ponds."

Vivienne must have made a face because Lady Fiona turned to her "I can admit, it was as disgusting as you are imagining it to be."

"I'm pleased to see you Fiona, but how did you come here?"

"Lady Torrington sent me an invitation. I was quite shocked you see; I thought the dowager countess hated me."

"I'm sure she doesn't hate you," Lord Berkeley said kindly. "Or she would not have invited you then."

"I agree," James said.

"Nevertheless," Lady Fiona continued, "I was bored in the country house all alone and when the letter arrived, Mama let me come."

"Mama let you travel here alone?"

"I do believe she was hoping that there might be an eligible bachelor who I may trap into marriage though," she turned towards James slyly, "do you perhaps of a list of the bachelors and the amount of wealth they possess?"

Vivienne choked on the sip of drink she'd been taking while Lord Headfort shook his head, "Fiona," he said in a condoning voice.

His sister continued to grin unbashful, and the duke cracked a smile. The only one who didn't was Lord Berkeley himself.

"I don't exactly make it my business to know who is a bachelor but I'm sure Lady Torrington would be happy to indulge you," James said wryly.

"If she doesn't hate me."

"She doesn't," the three gentlemen chorused together.

Lady Fiona laughed, a bright airy sound that filled Vivienne with warmth. Lady Fiona was much like the sun, she noticed. People tended to gravitate towards her, and she enveloped them into her orbit.

"Ooh, I didn't know that Pale-maille was set up in the lawn today," Lady Fiona's voice turning pleadingly to the gentlemen, "let us play a game."

"Not a chance Fiona," the duke said sternly. "The last time you swung the mallet so hard on my foot I had a bruise for almost a month."

"I see you are scared of losing in front of your guests, Your Grace." Fiona teased.

Vivienne smiled as she watched the lady's tactic. To suggest that the duke was scared of anything was a low-blow and Lady Fiona knew it. James would be tempted to defend his honour and she was right when minutes later, James agreed to play.

Thinking it was the perfect time to slip by, she was about to leave but Lady Fiona called to her, "Lady Vivienne, you should play with us too."

Vivienne paused before giving a nervous smile, "I'm not sure if that is such a good idea since I don't know how to play."

"It isn't that hard; we can teach you." James surprisingly said.

Vivienne opened her mouth to refused but she couldn't find it in herself to do so. And thus, Vivienne found herself roped in a game of Pale-maille. It was quite difficult to learn the rules but thankfully, the group seemed patient enough even when they all bickered and yelled at one another. They attracted quite the crowd around them as the game got closer, but Vivienne ignored all the noise and let herself stay in the moment. Playing Pale-maille with the four of them almost felt as though she had friends, and warmth blossomed into her heart.

"Why are you smiling?" Lord Headfort asked her, as he hit the ball with the mallet.

She lined up to take the next shot before shaking her head, "No reason, none at all."

--------------

There is much that can happen at a dinner party ;) We also have the introduction of Fiona, one of my favourite characters. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

73.9K 3.6K 27
This story takes place in England, 1760, some years before lady Georgia sadly married Lord Walter Pearson at the young age of sixteen. Four years la...
477K 22.2K 13
( COMPLETED STORY) What happens when the rakish Lord in the whole of London is truly falling in love with a simple, plain, and most ordinary girl, so...
126K 4.8K 45
A son who's held secret affairs with his father since he was a boy, a relationship that caused his mother's death and he was left in the dark about t...
8M 328K 153
*Book 1 in the Soulmates Series* πŸŽ–Featured Reading Lists: β€’@Wattpad's Editor's Pick & Spring Cleaning β€’@TeenFiction Soul Deep β€’@WattpadRoyals Fantas...