MY CHRISTMAS ROMANCE

By feufeu15

Everyone knows those Christmas romances where they pretend to be a couple for the holidays and end up falling... More

AESTHETICS & TRAILER
CHAPTER 1: BEST PART
CHAPTER 2: HOLY PLAN
CHAPTER 3: CHRISTMAS DEAL
CHAPTER 4: ADEN'S LITTLE ELF
CHAPITRE 5: HANNUKAH SURPRISE
CHAPTER 6: DEAL WITH THE DEVIL
CHAPTER 7: SANTA'S ELVES
CHAPTER 8: ON PURPOSE
CHAPTER 9: SORE LOSERS AND MISTLETOE KISS
CHAPTER 10: LISTS
CHAPTER 11: A DASH OF LOVE
CHAPTER 12: HOT AND COLD SWEAT
CHAPTER 13: SANTA'S WORKSHOP
CHAPTER 14: OH OH OH
CHAPTER 16: CHEESY MOVIE AND SNOWFLAKES
CHAPTER 17: SNORING PRINCESS & PRINCE CHARMING
CHAPTER 18: OLD DREAMS AND NEW WISHES
CHAPTER 19: ELF'S STUNTS
CHAPTER 20: STOP THINKING
CHAPTER 21: MORNING REVELATION
CHAPTER 22: SOMETHING TO TELL YOU
CHAPTER 23: MISTLETOE AND DECLARATIONS
CHAPTER 24: OPEN HEARTS AND COLORS
CHAPTER 25: OUR BEST PART
ADEN'S ARTICLE
EPILOGUE

CHAPTER 15: LIGHTS AND EGGNOG

425 32 80
By feufeu15

Surprise! To celebrate the 100 votes and 400 reads, I'm posting another chapter today!! I hope you'll like it! It's one of my favorites so far!! 🤭😁😘

Two chapters in a day also means two dedications, and this chapter is dedicated to one of my new readers from whom I'm really enjoying the comments and support on this story 🥰 Thank you ❤😘 @anonymouswriter237 I'm honored to meet and see you in this story!

I look back at him as we stop in front of the colorful booth. His eyes are holding that same puppy expression, and they widen in front of my sparkling gaze.

"Oh no, I don't think I'm ready for this..." 

"You are." I grin, grabbing a navy item from a rail. "You've said it yourself: you're finding the Christmas spirit!"

"And these sweaters will help me?" He laughs lightly, shaking his head.

"Yes, ugly sweaters are a tradition! You have no choice."

He glances down skeptically at the gingerbread and snow men patterns encircling the words 'Merry Christmas' on the navy sweater I'm holding.

"If you try this one, I'll let you choose one for me," I suggest, making his head snap up to me again.

He grabs the sweater hesitantly. "Okay, deal." He offers me a smile, taking off his jacket and sweater, and of course, I can't peel my eyes away from the way his muscles flex in the process, my mind wandering to what it would look like if he removed also the last thin layer of his tee-shirt.

The image of a Christmas present unwrapping for me, with a bow on top, warms my cheeks, and I have to look away before I turn redder than the Santas on the sweaters around.

"So what do you think?" he asks, his smile highlighted by the dark color of the sweater.

Once again, the sweater kinda looks incongruous on Aden, who seems to be more fit for suits and tux, yet it hugs perfectly his strong shoulders, and I find him even cuter in this outfit I would have never imagined him in.

"You're handsome!" I smile, taking the opportunity to rake my eyes down his body. "Sold!" I declare, waving to the vendor.

"No, keep it!" I stop Aden before he can take off the sweater. "You gotta keep it. It's my gift for you."

"You're sure? You know I can pay," Aden offers like the gentleman he is, already searching for his wallet in his jacket, but I don't let him.

"Sure, it's from your little elf."

"Okay, then I'll find you one too." He heads for the women's section.

His eyebrows are pulled together as he is hesitating between the various green, red, and white fabrics, and I let my eyes wander around the rails.

I'm lost in my thoughts and in the Christmas tune of 'Last Christmas' when a green sweater catches my attention. It isn't surprising, seeing the flashing lights embedded in the patterns.

"I've found the one." Aden's voice behind me makes me jump out of my contemplation.

I turn around and I'm met by a red and white sweater with an elf costume in the center along with the words 'Christmas Spirit'.

If I've thought I've been melting before, now I'm drowning in cinnamon latte, and I'm probably the only person on earth with a grin as wide in front of an ugly Christmas sweater.

"This is perfect! I love it!" And I think I won't ever want to take it off.

"I'm glad you like it! So I think now you gotta wear it too."

I nod eagerly, pulling off my jacket, but unfortunately, Aden, like the gentleman he is, turns around and goes to the checkout before I even remove my sweater.

I join him quickly, wearing proudly my now-favorite sweater and paying for my articles.

"Don't worry, it's for Theone." I point to the sweater the vendor is now wrapping in a little bag as Aden looks at it half questioningly, half fearfully. I wouldn't make him wear a sweater that ridiculous, but I'm sure it'll be perfect for Theone. "It will be his Hannukah surprise..." I smirk, the same kind of devious smile Theone always offers me, and I hope this gift will make his disappear for some time. 

I know it's a little mischievous, but at the same time, I'm sure he'll like the message 'Let's get baked'. It's better than his 'Bikini Inspector' tee-shirt, and between the forest green color and the Christmas cookies patterns, I just couldn't not buy him. I'm sure he'll manage to rock it anyway; the color and the flashing lights will go perfectly with his sparkling green eyes.

"Can I ask you something?" Aden pulls out of my thoughts, and I grab the gift bag the vendor is handing me.

 "Yes, sure." I smile as we resume our walk around the market.

"Is there something between you and Theo?"

I freeze all my movements, almost dropping the bag in my hand, yet only gripping it tighter instead. I must look like I've just seen the Grinch, while the words have sounded so casual in Aden's mouth.

"No, no!" Yes, a history of fights, pranks, decapitated barbies, and his eternal dimples, but I'd rather not tell this to Aden. "He's just my brother's best friend. Why do you ask? If it's because of the mistletoe kiss, we didn't really have a choice, and it could have been someone else, like you." I try to suppress the shivers that come back with the memory of that kiss, and I focus on the warmth of Aden's eyes, which must resemble what his lips feel like.

"No, I don't know. I was just asking." He shrugs as we start to walk again, and once more, I can't read his gaze, or at least not farther than the indifference.

I wish I could glimpse something else like jealousy, or longing. Could he have asked this because he's jealous? Maybe I should have let him think there was something. Yet I don't want him to think that because first, there is nothing between Theone and me, and second, this is not how it's supposed to go. Aden needs to open his eyes to what there is between us, and not imagine something between Theone and me.

"He really isn't my type. I prefer serious and sweet men." I focus my gaze on his, deciding to be more obvious, since he can't read my signs.

"Oh," he replies, not catching the look I give him, nor the meaning behind it.

'Oh', 'Oh', 'Oh', why does everyone keep repeating this?! Those two letters mean nothing and everything, and they leave behind an empty echo, opposite to their sound when they're inverted. My mind starts spiraling with this one-syllable word, yet every time it goes back to when people are talking about Theone and me, and the echo turns into a shiver in my nerves.

That's why I feel the need to add, "Theone and I are spending time together because of the orphanage party, that's all." And because he knows about my Christmas lies..

"Hey! Maybe you could come help us tomorrow! This would be perfect for the Christmas spirit!" I exclaim, wondering why I haven't had the idea sooner.

"Um, yes, why not! As long as we don't need to cook!" He smiles, and I forget all my worries, even more as we arrive at the central square, where people are already gathering. 

"My favorite part!" I grin, intertwining Aden's hand with mine. "There's Emily and Jason," I justify, nodding in front of us as Aden's gaze travels to our linked hands.

Actually, there's also Theone, who arrives with three cups in hands just when we reach Emily and Jason.

"Wow! You're really the perfect cheesy couple!" Theone chuckles at our sweaters.

I don't raise. After all, he who laughs last laughs longest, and I'll snigger at him when he'll open his Hannukah present.

For now, I turn to Emily instead. "Have you already got the lanterns?"

"Not yet, we were waiting for you." She grins as excitedly as I am.

"We should hurry because the line is long," Jason adds, and we all follow his gaze to the indeed long line. But I know that generally, it moves quickly, and in almost no time, everyone will have white, red, and green paper lanterns in their hands.

"Here for the wait." Theone hands Emily and Jason two cups before looking at Aden and me. "I didn't know you would arrive so soon, but I can go back."

"No thanks, I'll go," Aden suggests, being the sweetheart he always is, but sadly, it makes him let go of my hand. "It's down there, right?" He points to the unmistakable booth, from where comes a sweet scent of chocolate tickling our noses and stomachs.

"Yes, thank you." I offer him a small smile that falls down quickly as I'm left without his warm hand, my gaze falling on Emily and Jason snuggling in each other's arms.

"I missed this."

I turn back to Theone, whom I've forgotten the presence – no, actually, I've tried to ignore him – but as his eyes are shining at the kids passing by us with lanterns in their hands, I can't disregard the small pang of emotions and nostalgia in my chest.

"They didn't do it in the places you've visited?"

"It's not the same as here..." He lifts up his head towards the stars above, and I imitate his gesture.

The stars must look the same everywhere, yet it's special here, and like the Christmas spirit, you can only feel it.

"Here your cup, baby." Aden pulls my eyes away from the stars in the most dreamy way, and I need a few seconds to blink back to this sweet reality.

I grab the warm cup he's offering me, along with his hand. "Thank you."

"So what exactly are we doing here?" Aden asks as the line moves one step at a time.

"Release of paper lanterns, you'll see, it's magical! It's one of my favorite parts!" I take a sip of my hot chocolate. 

But it isn't chocolate that hits my taste buds. It's a taste that I haven't felt in about ten years, yet there's no way I could mistake it. "What is it?" I open the lid of my cup to be sure I'm not dreaming, though the nightmarish memories that come with the taste leave me no doubt.

"Eggnog, I asked the most Christmas-like drink to the vendor." Aden smiles, but it falls down into a frown when he notices all the wide eyes on him; even Jason has pulled away from whatever he's been whispering in Emily's ear. "Is there a problem?"

"No! No, don't worry, it's perfect!" I force a smile.

"Eggnog?!" Jason repeats slowly as if he couldn't believe this mixture has gotten in my hands, and actually, there are now two big swallows in my stomach, as surreal as it seems.

"I don't think it's a good idea..." Theone adds, his eyes as wide as Jason, though he looks more amused than worried.

"We can swap if you want, little P?" Jason offers, already handing me his half-empty cup of hot chocolate.

"You don't like it? There's cinnamon in it, so I thought you liked it?" Aden focuses his soft gaze on me, and my head starts to spin with all the wide eyes on me.

Emily looks as confused as Aden, as even she doesn't know about this incident, while Jason and Theone are staring at me with this frightening knowing look that brings too many memories in my head, unless it's the mixture in my stomach that does this?

"It's more the eggnog that doesn't like her!" Theone chuckles, and I can see that he clearly remembers the incident; I mean who wouldn't? Every person who has been in the audience that night must remember how I've ruined the Christmas show and also the whole stage.

"I've never seen someone throw–"

"It was a long time ago! Now, I can totally drink it!" I cut Jason off before he can reveal details that no one wants to know; at least I don't want Aden to know.

He doesn't seem to understand as his eyebrows are still pulled together in worry, and his gaze travels between me, Jason, and Theone. So I lift the drink to my lips again to close the subject definitely. 

The creamy mixture invades my mouth again, but the taste is quite nice. I can feel the cinnamon, the vanilla, and overall a lot of sweetness until the hint of alcohol burns the back of my throat.

Everyone is staring at me with big eyes, and I realize I've gulped the whole cup. I even wonder why I have been avoiding this sweet drink so much for all those years, well apart from the humiliating memories it brings me. But now, I'll have a happy memory with it, and I offer everyone a smile to reassure and convince them.

"The line! We're slowing everyone." I point to the line of people that has now diminished, and they all turn to walk closer to the booth where I can glimpse colorful lanterns.

All except Theone who shakes his head. "I don't think it was a good idea..."

"I think it is." I smile confidently.

However, my stomach protests in a growl, making Theone lift one of his eyebrows, and for once, I don't see his dimple. I should be content, yet it's even more disturbing, especially when my stomach complains again.

I quickly join the others, trying to push away the bad feeling in my guts, figuratively and literally.

The booth of lanterns appears real close, but suddenly the line seems slower, and with each step, my stomach argues with a twist, a growl, or even both. 

The nausea is spreading from my stomach all the reverse way that the eggnog has traveled, and I try to focus on whatever anecdote Jason is telling about the lanterns, yet I can only hear the bubbling in my stomach. Even the Christmas tunes are muted by the monster growing in my insides. How can something that tastes so sweet feel so bad afterward?

I could say that the drink has been spoilt, but seeing all those people with cups in their hands looking perfectly fine makes it clear that the problem is between me and the eggnog.

Besides, looking at those cups only turns more my stomach. A rush of heat spreads from there, and I open my scarf and jacket as they seem to be pushing on my stomach.

"Are you okay?" Aden turns to me with concerned eyes, the cinnamon shades appearing caramelized, and I have to avert my gaze.

I really need to stop thinking about food.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine..."

"You look so pale, little P." I focus on Jason's worried eyes; at least, there's no food that is blue. The ocean is blue, and... no, a wave of seasickness joins in my stomach.

"Do you want–"

"I just need to go to the bathroom!" I rush away before they can add anything, recognizing the push inside my stomach.

Indeed, I'm not even arrived at the wooden cabin that the eggnog returns to its cup. Thankfully, there's no one around; the restroom is in a secluded corner, so I won't ruin anyone's holidays again. However, I still run inside the cabin because I know this is only the beginning, and I don't wanna make another deluge.

I curse the whole universe as my stomach churns, turns, and empties itself through various rounds. Though the more I'm holding to my painful stomach, the less I have energy, and I'm left to only blame myself as my insides are still twisting.

"Penny?! You're here?"

Oh, it looks like the universe is sending me someone else to curse.

"Go away!" I groan with my now hoarse voice, and just the sour taste at the back of my throat is enough to trigger another bubbling rush from my stomach.

Before I can even lift up my head from the glorious mess of Christmas specialties, which are way less magical half-digested in the toilet bowl, a large hand picks a fallen strand from the makeshift ponytail of my hand.

"You still got the record of volume? How can so much fit in someone like you?!" Theone notes, though his gaze stays on the locks of hair he's pushing out of my face and not on the proof of my world record. I think it's better this way because the toilet wouldn't handle a domino effect.

"Did you come here only to make fun of me?" I glance at the door that unfortunately, I haven't closed in my rush.

"No, also to tell you: I told you!" Of course, his left dimple pops up.

"If I were you I would watch out what I say because my stomach may have some comeback left." I narrow my eyes, expecting him to back away, but he stays crouching down next to me.

"Everyone is worried about you." He hands me a few paper napkins, and I take more time to process his gesture than his words.

"I'm fine," I assure, my stomach still groaning, but this time, I know it's empty.

So I slowly get up, being careful to not overwhelm whatever I have left of my insides, and flushing the toilet. I really wish the memories could wash away as easily as the eggnog is disappearing in the drain.

"You shouldn't lie and change yourself like that. What's the point of making him fall for you if it's not the real you?" Theone asks as soon as the silence comes back in the empty bathroom. His eyebrows are creased, accentuating the way his gaze is piercing through me, and I'm almost missing his dimple right now.

"I'm not changing." I avoid his penetrating eyes even through the mirror.

"The run? The eggnog? And I'm sure there's more!"

"No, there isn't, and these are just details. I'm staying myself." I spit the water I've tried to wash my mouth with, yet the bitterness still remains in my mouth. 

"I've panicked, okay? But I've learned the lesson. Can we talk about something else?" I grab more paper hand towels, and I let out a heavy sigh when I glimpse the large stains on my beige jacket – well, I swear it almost looks like a camo print now.

The tiredness invades me as fast as the cold when I take off my jacket.

I've really messed up this time, and I can only blame myself. I try to find some hope in the fact that apparently, Aden is worried for me, yet I doubt anyone could still be attracted to someone who has the world record for throwing up eggnog.

A warm cocoon pulls me out of my thoughts before I can drown too deep into my despair or add stains of make-up on my outfit. I lift up my gaze to find a large black jacket on my shoulders, and I don't need to look at Theone to know that it's his; his unique spicy scent is already engulfing me with the thick fabric.

"I have another jacket in my car," he cuts me off before I can even protest, and I gladly slide my small arms in the wide sleeves.

"Thank you, Theone," I whisper honestly, and he chuckles, shaking his head in reply.

"You know it's still Theo, what everyone calls me."

"And you know it's still Penelope." I mirror his smirk.

"Nah, Penny is fine." He smoothens the side of his jacket in front of me, and I lose my comeback as he leans closer, his hands sliding down my sides.

Actually, I also lose my breath, all my attention being on the movements of his fingers. I don't even understand how his jacket can be this warm, yet how I can still feel acutely the brush of his fingers through it.

I realize he's searching for something in his pockets, and I let out the breath I've been holding in an awkward chuckle when he pulls out a pack of gum.

"Do you want some? It's mint."

"Yes, perfect, thank you." I grab the pack from his hand and quickly step away from his closeness.

What have I even thought when he's leaned closer? That's the thing: I haven't thought; my mind has turned blank for a too-long second, and now, I'm trying to convince myself that the shiver running down my spine is from the aftermath of the eggnog, even if it's fully gone from my body. What isn't is the spicy scent engulfing me with Theone's jacket, and when I put a gum in my mouth, the strong mint taste makes those shivers travel deeper inside. I want to spit it out immediately because of the memories it brings back, yet the freshness is very much welcome, erasing the sour taste of bile.

"We should go back." I check myself in the mirror, and surprisingly, except for the stained jacket in my hands and a few messy strands of hair, I don't look like I've just thrown up all my guts a few minutes ago. I even have colors on my cheeks, but this, it must be because I'm suffocating inside Theone's jacket.

"You saw, mommy? All the lights! It was wow! Do you think they'll go to Santa?!" A little voice rambling excitedly interrupts the silence of the restroom as a woman enters with her daughter in her arms.

I smile as they pass by us, the little girl's cheerful mood bringing a little joy in the plain bathroom, yet it doesn't last as they enter a stall, and her words come to my brain.

"The release of lanterns?!" I've completely forgotten it, but let's say that it hasn't been my main preoccupation when I've been with my head above the toilet bowl, but Theone... I turn to him with wide eyes. "You missed it?!"

My stomach shrivels once more, though this time, it isn't because of its content. I've seen his eyes, how they've shone talking about the memories he's had, and I imagine that it would have a special meaning for him now, a way to honor the memories, yet I've ruined it for him, another holidays memory ruined because of the eggnog and me. But why has he even come?

"Who's said we missed it?" He grins, grabbing two lanterns, one red and one green, that I haven't noticed on the counter near the washstand.

"It isn't the same with only two lanterns!" I laugh lightly, yet I still accept the green paper lantern he's handing me and gladly follow him outside.

"There are a billion lanterns above." He glances at the sky, and when his gaze comes back to me and he grabs a lighter to light our lanterns, I must admit that a part of me is as excited as the little girl in the bathroom.

I don't know if our two measly lanterns will reach Santa as we let them go into the sky, and it surely doesn't look as magical as all the years I've witnessed it before. Yet the more they fly away, becoming tinier and tinier, the more I'm awestruck by the way they shine perfectly with the stars around. 

For a moment, I forget all the fear, worry, and embarrassment about what's to come, and I just get lost in the infinite above us, with what is probably the biggest smile I've ever had.

So... what do you think of this chapter?! 🤩😂 The lanterns are totally inspired by my favorite Disney movie, and you might have guessed with my header picture 😉😁

Also, I thought the song fitted perfectly Penny's history with the eggnog! 😅😂 What do you think? I just wanna say that I want a Theone to hold my hair when I'm sick!! 😍

By the way, it seems that even Aden is seeing what is happening between Theone and Penny, it means it's really obvious! 😅

Let me know what you think in the comments and vote ⭐ if you liked this chapter!

I love you, my little elves 😘❤

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

64K 3.9K 41
Usually, people Carol's age are getting married, buying their first house, getting their first pet, etc. Her younger sister's doing all that. Good fo...
47.2K 1.1K 31
~ Featured 2× on @StoriesUndiscovered's Reading List Tales Of The Heart. ~ Featured on @WattpadEmpowered's Reading List Monthly Spotlight. ~ Winner...
3.9K 256 45
Everything was perfect until... it wasn't. Winter has gone out of her way to make sure her family friends and school friends never met. Her friends s...
185K 9.2K 39
Sugar McKenzie and August Wakefield couldn't be more different - Sugar, a meticulous, caring, but lonely paramedic and August, a charming former real...