A Royal Mess

De chasingdreamxbts

"The prince kisses the girl & they live happily ever after." Y/n, a peasant girl who loves writing fairy tale... Mais

Part 1
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 14
Part 15
Part 16
Part 17
Part 18
Part 19
Part 20
Part 21
Part 22
Part 23
Part 24
Part 25
Part 26
Part 27
Part 28
Part 29
Part 30

Part 2

7.3K 329 71
De chasingdreamxbts

"Dami ya, don't cry. I'll come back to visit all of you." I wipe the tears off Dami's flushed cheeks with my thumbs, while sniffing my own tears.
"But who's going to read us stories again? Can't you stay? Do you really have to go?" She bites her lips & looks up at me with her glistening round eyes.
My heart clenches at the sight. This is why I hate goodbyes.
"Listen to me. Do you remember the brave & kind-hearted prince I always talk about in my stories? I'm going to meet him. And when I do, I'll tell him that there's a little girl in my village who's a huge fan of him." I stoop down & bop her nose.
There's very slim chance that I'll be able to talk to the prince, but a little white lie won't hurt, right?
"You're going to meet the prince? Oh my goodness, your dream is going to come true!" She clasps her hands together, eyes widening in delight.
"That's why I have to go. I promise I'll write to you, ok?"
"Ok. I'll miss you so so much, Eonni." She circles her frail arms around my neck.
"I'll miss you very much too." I reciprocate her hug, feeling sad that I won't be able to see my biggest supporter again for a long time.
"Y/n ah, we need to leave now." Appa calls out from our make-shift horse carriage.
"Yes, appa! Dami ya, promise me that you'll take care of yourself, ok? Don't forget to study, listen to your mother & don't fight with Yeonjun. Speaking of whom, where's Yeonjun?" I release her & ask.
"I asked him to come with me, but he said that he was busy."
"Ah, I see. Alright then, good bye Dami ya. Take care." I hug her again one last time before walking to the carriage.
"Good bye, Eonni!" Dami waves her tiny hands at me as tears continue rolling down her face.
"Wait!" Someone suddenly exclaims.
"Yeonjun?" I turn around & see the chubby boy running towards us.
"Nuna.. I have.. something.. for you.." He pants as he pulls out something out of his pocket.
It's a hand-forged dagger in its sheath.

"Why are you giving this to me? Did your father make this?"
"My father told me that the place where you're going is very dangerous so I asked my father to help me make this for you." He averts his gaze & says, his face reddening.
"Thank you so much, Yeonjun ah. I'll always carry this with me." His kind gesture touches me deeply, so I give him a hug.
Unexpectedly, he hugs me back & cries.
"Stay safe, Nuna. And don't forget us."
"I won't. Good bye kids! Until we meet again!" I get on the carriage beside Appa & continue waving at them until they disappear into two tiny dots in the distance.
"Are you sad to leave them?" Appa asks.
"Well, yes. It feels like I'm never going to see them again, you know?" I shrug.
"We can always come back after my work is done. Aren't you excited that we're going to live in the city? You've always dreamt about visiting the grand palace, right?"
"Of course I am. I've written about that place dozens of times despite never having seen it in my life. I'm curious to see whether it's as magnificent as what I'd imagined."
"Now that's the spirit." Appa smiles at me & gently strokes my head.
Yes, you shouldn't be sad Y/n ah. Your dream is coming true.

Our journey is long & winding, but I don't mind at all. Myriads of questions run through my head & I can't wait to have them answered when we reach the city.
Are the walls of the palace really made of gold? How does the royal family actually looks? I heard that the King is not very kind, but what about the prince? Is he the same as his father? Will I even be able to catch a glimpse of him?
After passing endless meadows & rocky roads, we're finally getting closer.
"Y/n! Look! That must be the grand palace!" Appa taps my shoulder repeatedly.
"Where? Where?" I instantly sits up straight & looks around.
"There!"
My eyes follow the direction he's pointing at & my jaw instantly drops.

The humongous palace sits atop the hill, its stone walls & towering pointy roofs illuminated by the afternoon sun. It's beyond majestic.
"Appa, it's much much much more impressive than I expected."
"I know, right? Aren't we lucky that we get to see it up close & live within its vicinity?" He chuckles.
We soon reach the gate of the city & have to wait in line with the other people who also want to enter.
When it's time for our turn, Appa shows the guards the scroll that the messenger gave us & we're immediately escorted pass the gate.
"Here we go." Appa whispers to me.

The first thing I notice is the noise. Men chattering in the marketplace, children squealing in the alleys, horses neighing, wooden wheels creaking on the cobblestone road.
Then, the smell. The fragrant scent of freshly baked bread wafts in the air, mixed with the smell of spicy exotic spices, burning coal, horse poo, & human piss.
This is the city. My home for now.
The guard brings us to a medium-sized house in the quieter part of the city & opens the door for us.
"Sir, this is where you'll live from now on. Someone from the palace will soon inform you about what you need to do. I shall leave you to settle." He bows at us & leaves.
"Oh. My. God." I gape as I step inside.

The house is so much more spacious than our home in the village. Sunlight streams through the window on the high ceiling, irradiating the wooden beams & stone walls.
I glide my fingers over the polished oak dining table & savor its smoothness. The rug I step on is even softer than my bed back home.
"Do you like it?" Appa asks, smiling at my awestruck expression.
"Like it? I love it! This is too good to be true!" I lean my head back & twirl exaggeratedly.
"Hahaha. I'm glad you're happy. Anyway, I'll unpack our things, you may go & explore."
"For real?" I gasp.
"Yes. I know you're itching to see the palace. Go, but be careful & come back before it gets dark."
"Thank you, Appa! I'll see you later!" I peck his cheek & rush out the door.
A huge smile spreads across my lips as I walk along the crowded street. Everything fascinates me.
I feel like the heroine in one of my fairy tales & the prince will walk out of the corner any second.
Well, let's go see where the prince lives, shall we? I giggle to myself.

My pulse grows faster as I gradually approach the palace. However, my foot barely scrapes the first step of the stairs leading to the palace when two guards cross their spears in front of my face to stop me from moving further.
"You can't be here. Go away." One of them barks.
"I'm sorry, Sir, but I just want to see the palace." I innocently reply.
"Pfft.. Hahaha! Do you think common people like you can walk into the grand palace as you wish? Are you an idiot? Now go before I throw you into the dungeon." He sneers.
I automatically back off at his threat & walk away.
What do I do now? It's right there! I can almost touch it. No, I'm not giving up now. Hmm, maybe there's another way to get in.
I stride along the perimeter which is fenced with tall stone wall, while looking out for the guards.
"Tsk, it's completely closed in." I click my tongue in disappointment.
But when I'm about to give up, the wall suddenly transforms into lush green hedge.
I eagerly pick up my pace & soon arrive at a dead end, yet there's no door or opening in sight.
"Huh.. I guess I have to give up now." I sigh dejectedly.
A rustling sound from the hedge attracts my attention. All of a sudden, a yellowish brown cat leaps out of the shrub & steps on my feet.
"Hey, you startled me. Where did you come from?" I pick it up & pet its head.
Wait. If it could go through the hedge, then maybe..
Now that I observe it closely, the growth on the part where the cat jumped out from is less compact than the surrounding parts.
Let's give this a try.
I glance left & right and poke my hand through the hedge. It goes straight in & I can feel a clearing at the other end.
Thus, I brace myself & push my body forward through the thick bush. It's surprisingly much easier than I thought.
Apparently, there's a narrow gap in between the stone wall & the hedge & now I'm standing in it. An old wooden door is nestled in the wall in front of me & it's slightly opened.

"Someone must be using this as a secret entrance to the palace." I mumble to myself.
The door creaks open wider as I push it slowly. I swipe away the overgrown ivy & step through the opening. The scenery laid before my eyes makes me gape in awe.
The tiny garden is filled with vibrant flowers of all kinds, their scent permeating through the air.
"Woah, so pretty."

"What are you doing here?" Someone snarls from my left-hand side.
I jump in surprise & freeze on the spot.
Shit, is it the guard? Should I pretend that I didn't hear him & run away?
"Hey, are you deaf? Who are you? Are you a new maid or something?" He hollers again.
Ok, maybe it's better if I explain everything to him.
I slowly turn towards the source of the voice, palms & forehead drenched in cold sweat.
However, my fear dissipates as soon as I lay eyes on the man who's glaring at me. He looks about the same age as me & is definitely not a guard, judging by the shabby shirt & dirty pants he's wearing.
His curly raven locks fall messily over his forehead, partially covering his knitted thick brows & piercing eyes. His sun-kissed skin is the color of golden honey & it glistens with beads of sweats.

Damn, he's gorgeous.
"You- How did you get in here?" He asks, eyes widened.
"H-Hi, I'm uh- I found that secret door by accident & entered out of curiosity." I point towards the half-opened door, which is now concealed by the thick layers of ivy.
"Shit.." I can hear him muttering under his breath.
"You shouldn't be here. Now please leave." He steps closer & pushes me towards the door.
"Wait! Can I just take a quick look around? I've been dying to see the palace." I swiftly turns my body & moves a way from him.
"Are you crazy?! If the guard finds you here, you'll be thrown into the dungeon!" He hisses as he nervously glances around.
"Ugh, what's wrong with all of you? Why do you love throwing people in the dungeon so much?" I roll my eyes.
"That's how they punish people who don't obey the rules. You'll get me in trouble-"
"Are you the gardener?" I intentionally cut him off.
"Gardene- ehm.. Yes, I am." He seems bewildered by my sudden change of topic.
"I figured. Did you plant all these flowers? They're so pretty." I bend down to smell a David Austen & close my eyes as its elegant fragrance fills my nostrils.
"You must be new here so you don't understand what I'm saying. Let me make it clear for you. The palace is reserved for the royalties, the King's family & acquaintances. Common people like you are not allowed to step foot into the compound at all. So what you're doing right now is illegal & you will be punished if they find out." He ignores my question & explains.
"Well, you're here, aren't you? And you're not royalty or the King's family member." I cheekily raise my brow.
"But I work here-"
"So can I work here then? I love flowers & I'm quite knowledgable about them. Amaranthus, lilies, cosmos, poppies, rose, petunias, zinnias, marigold, hydrangeas & some exotic ones that I've never seen before. See? I know my flowers. So can I be your assistant & help you tend this garden? Pleaseee." I clasp my hands & plead.
"Oh my God, you truly are stubborn. No, you can't work here. Now get out of here before I call the guards." He grabs my arm & shoves me out of the secret door.
"Ow! Fine. I'll come back again tomorrow & convince you to let me work here."
"I'll lock the door & make sure you won't be able to pass again. Good bye!"
With that, he slams the door in front of my face.
"Just so you know I don't give up that easily Mr- whatever your name is!" I yell at the closed door.
Hearing no response, I crawl through the hedge & get back on the street.
The sun is hovering low on the horizon, a flock of white birds flying through the vivid red sky.
"Woah, I was wrong. The sky here is indeed more beautiful. Oh no, it's almost evening. I have to go home now before Appa becomes worried." I immediately run towards the direction I came from.
See you again tomorrow, Mr. gardener.
I turn around one last time & smile to myself.

The crowd has thinned & the streets have become much emptier than before. I hurriedly pick up my pace as I try to remember the way home.
"The place where you're going is dangerous.."
Yeonjun's words echo in my ears.
I must remember to bring the dagger with me tomorrow.
Fortunately, I arrive at my new home without any incident before it gets completely dark. Appa is pacing back & forth in front of the door, most probably waiting for me.
"Appa!"
"Y/n ah! Why do you come back so late?" He asks in concern.
"I'm sorry.. You must be worried.." I pant, trying to catch my breath.
"Where did you go? Did you get lost?"
"I went to-" I stop myself at the last minute.
Maybe it's better not to tell Appa that I sneaked into the palace.
"You went to?" He searches my face, awaiting my answer.
"Oh, I just wandered around. Has the messenger come by yet?" I divert the subject so that he won't ask anything further.
"Yes, he came by right after you left. Basically, the King wants me to build a life-sized statue of the crown prince riding a horse as his gift for the prince's birthday. The statue will be revealed at the end of his birthday celebration."
"That's awesome. I'm sure you'll do a marvelous job. But wait. The prince's birthday is in.. five days! It's impossible to finish the statue in such a short time!"
"Hahaha! Y/n ah, the royalties celebrate their birthdays for one whole month. So I have precisely 35 days to do my job."
"Ahhh, I see."
That means I have more time to explore & befriend that gardener.
His handsome face flashes in my head, making me blush instantly.
"Y/n ah, why is your face so red? Are you sick?" Appa places his palm over my forehead.
"No no no, I'm just tired. I'm going to my room now. Where is it? It's that way, right? See you at dinner!" I hastily rush to my bedroom & close the door behind me.
"Wow, look at the bed. It's twice the size of my old one." I throw myself onto the soft mattress.
Hahhh.. everything is perfect. I think I'm going to have the time of my life here.

The next morning
I'm strolling in the palace garden, flowers blooming all around, when suddenly someone calls out to me.
"Y/n.. Princess Y/n.."
I turn around & there he is.
My prince, looking effortlessly charming in his royal garment.
However, I can't see his face clearly as a sheer veil of fog hinders my vision.
He steps closer towards me & wraps his arm around my waist. Our faces inch closer & closer until I can feel his warm breath tickling my skin.
Oh God, he's going to kiss me.
I close my eyes & wait in anticipation..
A loud knock on the door awakens me from my sweet dream. I reluctantly open my eyes, wishing that I could stay asleep & continue my dream for another minute.
"Y/n ah, are you up yet? I need to go somewhere & probably won't be back until afternoon. I left some money on the table, you can do whatever you want to do, just don't cause any trouble & be careful, ok?" Appa exclaims from behind the door.
"Yes, Appa!" I sit up & reply.
Once Appa's footsteps have faded into none, I lie back down onto the bed & close my eyes.
"The prince.. I wonder how he looks like."
But then, the image of that gardener pops up again.
Ya, stop thinking about him. Why do I keep obsessing over men I'd only met once? First the masked man in the woods, now the gardener.
Deciding that I should find something else better to do than daydreaming all day, I jump off my bed & wash up.
I quickly eat my breakfast, grab the money Appa left me & the dagger from Yeonjun.
"Time to explore." I mutter to myself excitedly before stepping out of the house.
"Eonni." A cute little girl carrying a wooden sword comes up to me out of nowhere.

"Hi, what's your name?" I smile at her, stooping down to her level.
"I'm Bora. Are you the daughter of the sculptor that the King commissions to build a statue for the prince?" She asks.
"Yes, I am. How do you know that?"
"Everyone's been talking about it. They say that there are enough hideous statues in the city, why would the King want to add another one?"
"Ah, I see. Tell them that my father is a very good sculptor. I can assure you that his work won't be hideous. My name is Y/n by the way. Nice to meet you. Do you live around here?"
"Yeah, I live over there. My father is a blacksmith. He told me that he's going to make me a real sword when I grow up. I'm very good with sword, you see." She swings her sword around & shows me her moves.
"Wow, you're very good." I clap my hands & giggle. She reminds me a lot of Dami.
"Right? I can beat any boy in this city." She puffs her chest proudly.
"I'm sure you can. I'm sorry Bora, but I need to go now. We'll talk again some other time, ok?" I pat her head & begin to step away, but she tugs at my hand.
"Eonni, you need to be careful. My father said that the King will chop your father's head if he doesn't like the statue, just like he did with the last sculptor. But don't tell anyone that I tell you, ok? I'm only telling you this because I like you." She whispers in my ear.
My heart stops.
"W-What did you say?" I stutter.
"Shhh.. Don't tell anyone. Good bye Eonni. Have a nice day!" She waves at me & runs to her father's shop.
Is it true what she said? The King will kill Appa if he's not satisfied with the result?
The sunny cheerful mood I had earlier is gone, overshadowed by gloomy fear.
Is the King really that cruel? Should I tell Appa about it? Maybe there's still time to withdraw from this task.
I let my feet carry me around as I get lost in my chaotic thoughts.
"Move away!" Someone suddenly shouts at me & shoves my arm.
"Ouch!" I fall onto the ground with a loud thud.
"Stop right there! You're being too rough. I'm so sorry, are you hurt?" A soft melodious voice asks.
I lift my gaze & find a stunning young lady with milky skin as smooth as porcelain, long wavy chestnut hair cascading over her shoulders, almond-shaped hazel eyes rimmed with long & thick lashes, and a pair of lips so rosy that even the most exquisite rose would envy its beauty.
She extends her delicate hand at me, but I'm afraid that I will dirty it so I hastily push myself up.
"I'm fine, thank you." I dust my skirt & smile gratefully at her.
"How dare you not bow in front of the princess?!" The guard barks again.
P-Princess?
I look around & realize that the crowd has formed a circle with us being its focus. They curiously stare at us, awaiting more drama to unfold.
You'll be thrown into the dungeon.
The gardener's warning comes to mind & I immediately get down on my knees.
"M-My apology. I arrived here yesterday so I didn't recognize- I'm deeply sorry, Princess. I hope you'll forgive my foolish mistake." I earnestly plead.
"Oh dear, you don't need to apologize. Ignore the guards, they tend to overreact." She stoops down & helps me stand up.
"You're new here so it's only natural that you don't recognize me. I'm Princess Jungah, what's your name?" She smiles at me & asks.
"Y-Y/n. Kim Y/n."
"Ah I see. I have to leave now, but I'll see you around Kim Y/n." She politely nods at me & steps away, her maids & guards scurrying behind her.
The crowd instantly dissolves once she's gone & everything goes back to normal. It seems like I'm the only one who's still recovering from the encounter.
The princess seems like a very nice person. Maybe Bora is mistaken? Maybe the King is not as bad as people think he is? Well, there's only one way to find out..
I stride along the street with a clear destination in mind. The secret garden.

A few minutes later
The luxuriant green hedge looms over me, shading me from the blazing afternoon sun.
Seeing that no one is around, I swiftly sneak through the sparse growth on the part of the hedge where the cat jumped out from yesterday.
The wooden door is tightly shut this time.
What if the gardener really locked the door like he said he would?
I hesitantly push the door & it opens slightly with a loud creak.
"Oh, he didn't lock it." I mutter, surprised.
I pop my head through the small gap & look around. The gardener is nowhere to be seen.
"Where is he?"
"Boo!" He suddenly appears in front of my face, causing me to jump in fright.
"Oh my God! You almost give me a heart attack!" I snap at him.
"Why are you here again? I told you not to come back." He crosses his arms & tilts his head.
"Well, you also said that you were going to lock the door so that I wouldn't be able to pass through. But it was unlocked & it seemed like you were already waiting for me. You must have been expecting me." I raise my brow & retaliate.
"What? I was going to lock the door but I couldn't find the key. It's not like I want to keep it unlocked on purpose. Besides, why would I wait for you? You're an intruder who could bring nothing but problems for me." He widens his eyes, flustered.
"Yeah yeah yeah, I believe you. Anyway, I didn't get to introduce myself yesterday. My name is Kim Y/n, you can call me Y/n. What's your name?"
He stares at me & hesitates for a moment before speaking again.
"Taehyung." The two syllables tumbled so quickly out of his lips that I almost didn't catch it.
"Taehyung.. Such a nice name. How long have you been working here?"
"I don't remember." He abruptly walks away & picks up a hand trowel on the ground.
"Have you ever met the King?" I follow him & ask.
"Yes, I have. Why are you asking me this?" He turns to look at me, a deep frown knitting his brows.
"Uhm.. well.. My father is a sculptor & he's commanded by the King to build a statue for the crown prince's birthday. We got here yesterday & I was beyond happy that he got the opportunity to do this. But then, this morning, I heard something unpleasant about the King so I became worried. I figured that since you work in the palace, you must know the King better than people out there. That's why I came here again today, to ask for your opinion. Is the King really as cruel as people say? Is my father's life in danger?"
He seems stunned by my question & says nothing.
"Taehyung, would you please answer my questions?" I plead.
"I- I don't know." He averts his gaze & motions to step away again, but I grab his arm to stop him.
"Please. This is important. If he's indeed in danger, I have to convince him to withdraw from the commission."
He stares at me for the longest moment before sliding my hand off his arm.
"Are you confident in your father's skill? I mean, is he any good at what he does?" He asks.
"Of course he is! He's very talented."
"Then, you shouldn't worry too much. King Baekho is the same as any other kings. He can be cruel when necessary, but I don't think he'll kill a person without any good reason." His lips curve into a very thin smile.
"Really? Thank goodness. I actually had doubts about the rumor, especially after I met Princess Jungah. She was such a kind-hearted person. Her father shouldn't be that bad." I huff in relief.
"You met Jungah?"
"Shhh! You can't call her by her name. Do you want to be thrown into the dungeon?" I instinctively muffle his mouth & whisper.
He freezes under my touch, panic written all over his eyes.
"Whoops, sorry." I immediately retract my hand, heat creeping to my cheeks.
Silence stretches as both of us shift uncomfortably in our positions.
"Ehm.. Is that all? I have work to do, so please leave now." Taehyung clears his throat & breaks the silence.
"Oh. Alright. I won't disturb you anymore. Thank you for answering my question. I'm going now, good bye." I nod at him.
"Good bye." He mumbles without looking at me.
I turn around one last time before exiting the door & find him already busy digging into the ground with a shovel. I close the door behind me & step out to the street beyond the hedge.
"Huh.. it seemed like he was truly bothered by me. Maybe it's better if I don't come here again." I sigh & walk back home.
Somehow, the prospect of not seeing Taehyung again saddens me beyond my expectation.
Why am I like this? I've only met him twice & he isn't even that friendly.
"Y/n ah, you're back." Appa greets me when I enter the house.
"Yes.." I answer unenthusiastically.
"What's wrong? You look sad."
"Nothing. Where did you go all morning?" I fake a smile & grab a glass of water.
"I met the prince." He casually replies, like it isn't a big deal.
"You what?! You met the prince?! Oh my God! Why didn't you tell me that you were going to meet the prince? I could've come with you!" I'm so surprised that the glass almost slips out of my grasp.
"Hahaha! Because I knew that you'd beg me to take you with me. They specifically told me not to bring anyone, so I'm sorry." He ruffles my hair & laughs.
"Ugh fine. Just tell me how does he look? Is he handsome? Is he kind? Why did you go see him?" I bombard him with questions.
"Well, I need to know how he looks like before I can carve his face, right? He looks.. handsome. Nice features, perfect jawline, but.." He hesitates.
"But what?"
"Never mind. Did you have fun exploring the city? Have you made any friends?"
I immediately think of Taehyung, but he's not exactly my friend & I can't tell Appa that I sneaked into the palace. Thus, I don't mention him at all.
"There's a little girl named Bora who lives around the corner & she reminds me a lot of Dami. Her father is a blacksmith."
"Ah I see. I'm glad you've acquainted with the neighbors. I need to start working now, please help prepare dinner & clean up the house, ok?" He stands up & motions towards the workshop at the back of the house.
"Appa!"
"Yes?" He turns around & asks.
Should I tell him about the rumors about the King? But Taehyung said it was false. No, I shouldn't make Appa worry & let him focus on doing his job.
"Good luck! I'm sure you're going to create a masterpiece that will leave everyone speechless." I smile at him.
"Hahaha! Thank you for your support, my daughter. I'll see you in a bit." He says before exiting through the back door.
"Ah I forgot to tell him that I bumped into the princess! Oh well, it's not that important." I mumble to myself.

Two days later
Appa has been working in the workshop since the break of dawn & told me not to disturb him. It doesn't take long for boredom & loneliness to overwhelm me.
"Huh.. I've mopped the floor, washed the dirty laundry, scrubbed the kitchen, what else can I do?" I plop down onto one of the dining chairs & huff.
I never thought that living in the city would make me feel so alone. At least I had people to talk to & the kids to read story for back in the village. But I know no one here & city people are not as welcoming as I expected.
"It's only been four days & I miss the village already. Wait, what am I talking about? I'm living my dream, the palace is only a few meters away!" I knock my head to chase away the nonsensical thoughts.
"If they don't come to you, just go to them. Maybe I should start from Bora, she did say that she liked me."
My enthusiasm is back. I rise from my seat & step out of the house to look for Bora.
However, I can't find her. I go to her father's shop & she's not there either.
"Where should I go now?"
I stagger dejectedly along the busy street, feeling lonelier than I've ever been. Envy stabs through me when I see girls my age stroll hand in hand & laugh at each other's jokes.
Standing in the middle of the street, I gaze straight ahead at the palace & sigh.
I guess it's the people that make the place, not the other way around.
"Miss, you're blocking the way!" Someone hollers in annoyance from behind.
"I-I'm sorry." I quickly step aside & let the angry-looking man pass.
"They should stop allowing you worthless country bumpkins to move in here." He scans me up & down derogatorily & clicks his tongue before striding away.
I know I shouldn't be affected by his mean words, but I am. Tears prick the back of my eyes & I quickly blink them away to prevent further public humiliation.
Head lowered, I continue walking mindlessly, letting my feet decide the direction.
When I regain my senses, I've arrived in front of the door to the secret garden.
Why did I come here? I'm not even welcomed here.
However, I desperately need someone to talk to & have no other place to go. Thus, I brace myself & push the door.
The door is unlocked, probably Taehyung hasn't gotten the time to fix it yet. I peek through the opening & find that the garden is empty. No one is in sight, only colorful flowers silently swaying with the gentle wind.
I push the door wider & step inside.
"Woah, this garden is spectacular, no matter how many times I've seen it."
Eyes closed, I inhale deeply, relishing the fragrance of the blooms.
It must be such a delight working here. I think to myself as I roam around the garden.
Right then, I hear footsteps & murmurs coming from the gateway on the opposite side of the garden, which I suppose is the entrance to the main courtyard of the palace.
Out of curiosity, I tiptoe closer & carefully take a peek.
Oh, it's Taehyung. I instantly recognize his back.
He appears to be talking to a middle-aged lady who's wearing an extravagant purple gown. A small troop of similarly dressed women, most probably her court ladies, stand behind her in neat lines.
Who is it? One of the royal family members?
The lady flicks her finger & one of the court ladies steps forward carrying a stack of clothings. She takes the stack from the court lady's hands & give it to Taehyung.
She then tenderly pats Taehyung's cheeks before turning around & walking away. Taehyung bows at her & makes his way towards the spot where I'm standing. I promptly hide myself behind the wall & wait for him.
As expected, he walks right pass me a minute later.
"Hi." I casually greet him.
"Argh! Oh my God! You scared me to death!" He jumps in shock, the pile of clothes he was carrying fall down onto the ground.
"Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you."
"Why are you here again? Do you have more questions about the King?" He asks as he picks up the clothes.
"No. I.. I had nothing to do, so.." I hurriedly stoop down & help him.
"Wow, these clothes are so pretty. The fabric feels so soft. Who was the lady who gave these to you?" I spontaneously ask.
"Were you eavesdropping on our conversation?" He glances accusingly at me.
"No! Well, yes, but it wasn't intentional. I was waiting for you &-"
"Please leave. You can't be here." He snatches the clothes away from my hand & mutters coldly.
That was the last straw for me. All my pent up emotions explode at his words.
"Why are all of you so mean? What did I do wrong? All I want is to talk to someone. Anyone! But all of you keep telling me to go away. What's wrong with being a country bumpkin? Am I such a nuisance?" I yell at him as tears flood my flushed face.
"H-Hey, calm down. Don't cry. I-I'm sorry, ok? Please, don't cry." He stammers, panicked witnessing my sudden outburst.
But I keep crying. The floodgate has been opened & there's no stopping it.
"Alright alright. You can come here anytime you want to. I won't chase you out again, just please stop crying." He pleads.
My ears instantly perk up.
"Promise?" I wipe my tears away.
"Yes, I promise."
"Can I work here then?"
"Yes- Wait, you mean in this garden?"
"I promise I won't cause any trouble & you don't have to pay me. Pleaseee.. I have no friends here & my father is busy so I need something to do & someone to talk to, otherwise I'll go crazy." I quickly add.
"Ugh, fine! You can help me tend this garden, but you need to know that it's against the rules. Even though no one ever comes here, there's still a chance that you'll be found out. And if you are, you'll be severely punished. Are you sure you want to do that?"
"That's fine. We just need to be very careful." I bite my lower lip to contain my excitement.
"You're confined to this garden only & you have to promise that you won't wander around."
"I promise." I readily nod.
"You absolutely can't tell anyone, including your family, about this."
"My lips are sealed."
"You-"
"Yes, yes, & yes to everything. Do we have a deal now?" I impatiently cut him off.
"Huh.. Alright alright, we have a deal." He reluctantly agrees.
"Yeay! Thank you! You have no idea how much this means to me." I grab his hands & shake them excitedly.
"Ehm.. I'm usually here from 8 in the morning until 3 in the afternoon. So just come by around that time." He clears his throat & hastily retracts his hand.
My cheeks redden as I realize what I've done.
Kim Y/n, stop touching him. You're making him uncomfortable.
"And you don't need to thank me. I have a lot of work to do since the prince's birthday party is happening soon, so it's good to have a pair of extra hands. I need to go now, so I guess I'll see you tomorrow then. Or whenever you feel like coming." He says while avoiding eye contact.
"Alright, I'll be here tomorrow morning. Good bye for now." I nod at him & walk towards the door.
But then, I remember something & turn my head back around.
"Taehyung!"
"Huh?" He lifts his eyes to meet mine.
"Thank you for being my first friend here. See you tomorrow!" I smile at him & close the door behind me.
My heart pounds inside my chest. An inexplicable exhilaration fills my entire being & I attribute it to the fact that I'm going to work in the palace.
However, deep down I know that a huge part of it is due to the anticipation of spending more time with Taehyung.

Continue lendo

Você também vai gostar

8.2K 280 20
"Why? Are you jealous?" He asked. With a flirty smirk "No, why would I be?" She replied. "Cause your madly in love with me. Aren't you?" He replied. ...
41.6K 1.9K 35
Eight-year-old Jungkook told you that he would marry you someday, while you two sat on an old sofa behind the orphanage's dormitories. COMPLETED ON:...
735K 37.4K 23
In which Jimin is addicted to smoking and agrees to give up on one condition... That his childhood best friend and ultimate crush Y/N will give him a...
3K 129 5
#taekookff Where Prince Jungkook visited Kim Kingdom to court the princess.. But He froze where he was when he saw those sparkling eyes..holding mill...