Yellow (George Weasley)

By solemn-swear

"I jumped across for you Oh, what a thing to do 'Cause you were all yellow" - Leah Hadleigh is no stranger to... More

1 - Ford Anglia
2 - The Weasleys
3 - Late Night Snack
4 - Wiggenweld
5 - Hallowe'en
6 - Quidditch
7 - Serpents
8 - The Chamber
9 - Sighting
10 - Black Dog
11 - The Map
12 - Snowmen
13 - Peaceful Potions
14 - Fireworks and Filch
15 - Quidditch World Cup
16 - Dark Mark
17 - Tri-Wizard Tournament
18 - The Goblet
19 - Amortentia
20 - Well Done Dragon
21 - Firewhisky
22 - Dates
23 - Escape
24 - Yule Ball
25 - Promises
26 - Black Lake
27 - Treasure
28 - Moody
29 - Three Broomsticks
30 - Inside Out
31 - Maze
32 - The Order
33 - Fishing
34 - Extendable Ears
35 - Umbridge-itis
36 - Decrees
37 - Filch's Secret Admirer
38 - Weasley is Our King
40 - Black Quill
41 - Goodbyes
42 - The Exit
43 - Ministry of Magic
44 - Last Ride
45 - Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes
46 - U-No-Poo
47 - Lily
48 - First Meeting
49 - Visit
50 - Sprouts
51 - Christmas Pudding
52 - Ring of Fire
53 - Zonko's
54 - The Guard
55 - Astronomy Tower
56 - Dumbledore
57 - Snatchers
58 - Seven Potters
59 - Saint Like
60 - Romanian Guest
61 - The Shed
62 - Bill & Fleur
63 - Interrogations
64 - Registry
65 - The Trial
66 - The Lovegood's
67 - Dora
68 - Uno
69 - Aunt Muriel's
70 - April Fools
71 - Galleons
72 - Nightmares
73 - Limbo
74 - Harry's Return
75 - The Last Battle
76 - Calm After the Storm
77 - A Surprising Dinner
78 - Return to Wheezes
79 - Fruit
80 - Summer Nights
81 - Hens and Stags
82 - The Wedding
83 - The Reception
84 - Pygmy Puffs and Explosions
85 - Jealousy
86 - Charing Cross
87 - Lightbulb
88 - Move In
89 - Mistletoe
90 - Peanut Butter Pickles
91 - Welcome
92 - Parenthood
Epilogue
Authors Note

39 - First Christmas

17.3K 482 199
By solemn-swear

"Leah! Wake up! Something's happened to dad!" Ginny frantically shook me awake, her eyes red from crying.

It took me a second to process but I soon shot out of bed, grabbing my bath robe on the way out the door. I wrapped it around me and tied it tight as we ran down the stairs. "What's happened?" I asked, struggling to catch my breath.

"Harry's had a dream that dad was attacked by a snake while on guard at the Ministry." I could hear that she was close to tears again.

When we made it down to the common room, the rest of the Weasley children were already standing alongside Professor McGonagall, all dressed in their pajamas. I quietly joined the rest of the Weasley's, standing beside George as Ginny stood next to me. I gently held her hand in mine in an attempt to comfort her. She gave a small smile but I could tell she's nervous for her dad's well being. I took a few deep breaths to try and calm my own nerves.

McGonagall led us quickly through the halls and to the gargoyles that guarded Dumbledore's office. "Fizzing Whizbee." She muttered. The gargoyle jumped to the side and we instantly pushed past. Harry was stood in the center of the room. He was taking a few ragged breaths, his skin pale and a sheen of sweat covering him.

"What's going on?" Ginny was crying again as we watched Dumbledore speaking to some of the portraits in his office. I pulled her into my chest, letting her sob into my robe as I rested my chin atop her red hair and blinked away my own tears. George rubbed his sister's back in an attempt to comfort her, but I could tell he could use some comforting of his own.

"Your father has been injured during a mission for the Order of the Phoenix. He has been taken to St. Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries, alive." Dumbledore answered for her before pausing to point his wand at a blackened tea kettle. "You will be sent to Grimmauld Place as it is much closer to the hospital than the Burrow. Your mother will be waiting for you all there."

Hearing Dumbledore say it aloud made it feel even more real. I don't know what we'd do if anything happened to the head of the Weasley family. He's been almost as much of a father to me as my own dad. But Harry's dreams are actually visions of what is really happening. I could see him coming unwound by the minute, the pressure he's felt in the last half hour must be tearing him apart. His shoulders moved up and down with every uneven breath.

"Are we—are we taking Floo powder?" Fred looked shaken, his eyes filled with concern and his hair still disheveled from sleeping.

"No...the Network is being watched too closely. It's not safe. You'll be taking Portkey." Our headmaster nodded to the kettle. Just as he opened his mouth to speak again, a flame erupted in the middle of the office and left behind a single golden feather in it's wake. "Fawkes' warning...She must know you're all out of your beds. Minerva, go head her off—tell her any story." He somehow kept a calm voice, though we all know the 'she' he was referring to was Professor Umbridge, who would surely object to us leaving and get Mr. Weasley fired from the Ministry. Maybe she would finally find her way to get Dumbledore out of Hogwarts for this.

When Professor McGonagall left with a flourish of her tartan night gown, Dumbledore gathered us around the old kettle. "You have all used a Portkey before?" He asked. All six of us touched a few fingers to the kettle in response. "Good. On the count of three then...one...two...three."

In an instant, I felt the familiar pull from behind my navel as the ground beneath my feet disappeared. My shoulders banged against George and Ginny's for a brief moment before our feet landed hard against the floor. My knees buckled underneath the impact and I found my self sprawled across the hard wood of Grimmauld Place. I still hadn't mastered the Portkey since we last used it at the Quidditch World Cup. A groan of pain escaped my lips and when I looked up a sagging face was scowling down at me.

"Filthy Mudbloods back in my mistresses house again...blood traitors can't stop bringing around these Mudbloods...I heard their father's dying..." Kreacher grumbled.

"OUT!" Sirius' voice came from the corner of the room. He looked slightly less put together than when we had last seen him, and he reeked of stale liquor. "What happened!? Phineas said Arthur's been badly injured?"

We all looked to Harry, slightly eager to hear the story ourselves. I clung to George's side as Harry began to share the details of his dream. He had seen from the snake's point of view that Arthur had been bitten multiple times, and apparently there had been a lot of blood. I relished in the thought that he had at least made it to the hospital alive, but couldn't help but feel sick to my stomach at the idea of celebrating Christmas without him.

"Well, what are we waiting for?" Fred threw his hands in the air. "We've got to get to St. Mungo's!"

"No." Sirius shook his head. "We have to wait for your mother. How do you think it'll look if you turn up before she's even there?"

"Who cares!? We have to go see dad!" George scoffed, getting as red in the face as his twin brother.

Sirius paced in front of the fire, running his hands through his ragged black hair. "I'm sorry but your father would agree with me on this one. He wouldn't want to have risked his life for the Order only for you all to blow his cover and—"

"The Order doesn't matter!" Fred was shouting by now.

"This is our dad dying we're talking about!" George yelled along with him.

"I know this is hard." Sirius sighed. "But I'm sorry, I have to be firm on this. We have to wait for your mother."

If looks could kill, Sirius would have dropped dead under Fred and George's glares. I led George over to a leather couch, sitting him down by my side. The only sound in the room was the crackling of the fire, accompanied by George's quiet grumbling. I took his hand in mine, playing lightly with his fingers in an attempt to calm him down.

"Accio Butterbeer." Sirius mumbled. Six bottles wobbled on top of the coffee table after they had been summoned from the kitchen. "We might as well have a drink while we wait."

George leaned forward, his fingers wrapping around the neck of the bottle before bringing it to his lips. He passed me my own drink and slumped back into the couch again with a huff.

Sirius fumbled around with a cabinet in the corner of the room, pulling out a dusty bottle and popping the top off. He lazily poured the amber liquid into a crystal glass that appeared to have the Black Family crest engraved on it. "If anyone wants something stronger..." He took a long gulp from his glass, nearly downing half of it in one swig. "...I won't tell your mother."

Fred looked to be considering it for a moment, his eyes narrowed on the bottle before he settled into the arm chair, pulling his leg up over the armrest. We sat in silence. George's arm was wrapped around me as I slumped against his chest. He slid back on the couch, stretching slightly in an attempt to get comfortable.

The next hour seemed to be the slowest hour I had ever experienced in my life. Fred's head had lulled to the side, light snores escaping his lips. Ron hadn't spoken much at all since we got here and was now holding his head in his hands, occasionally checking his watch. Ginny had curled up in another arm chair and fallen asleep, the blanket Fred had strewn over her tucked underneath her chin. Harry was wide awake, watching the wax burn lower and lower on the candles on the coffee table.

It felt like I had only closed my eyes for a second when I heard Mrs. Weasley's voice. I jolted awake, in turn waking up George whom I was using as a pillow. The old wooden grandfather clock read ten past five in the morning. We all turned to her expectantly. Her usually rosy face was pale, bags already forming beneath her eyes.

"He's okay...sleeping now. Bill's sat with him for now and we can go visit him later." She gladly accepted the hug from Ginny and George before continuing in her tired voice. "For now—kids, go get some sleep." She pointed to the stairs leading up to the bedrooms. We were all too tired to argue. I trudged up behind a yawning Ginny. Both of us seemed to fall asleep the minute we had flopped on the mattress.

After letting us sleep until the sun was well up into the sky, Mrs. Weasley knocked on the door before slowly entering. "Girls we ar—you know you two had your own beds without Hermione here right?" A tired laugh escaped the woman's lips. I made an attempt to stretch my arms above my head, but it was instantly halted by Ginny. Her body was sprawled out against mine, her right arm and leg spread across me. She mumbled an apology, her eyes still closed as she rolled off of me. "We'll be leaving in half an hour. Sirius has made some breakfast for us downstairs." Mrs. Weasley smiled before dipping out of the room.

Our trunks had been delivered at some point while we were sleeping. Ginny and I wordlessly got dressed before meeting the others back downstairs. Everyone was already crowded around the table, digging into the large breakfast spread Sirius had prepared for us. "Good morning." I yawned.

Fred jolted awake, a piece of bacon falling from where it had stuck to his cheek. He grumbled something that sounded like 'Mornin' before getting back to what he was eating before dozing off.

We all ate a bit quicker as Mrs. Weasley came back downstairs with her handbag slung over her arm. When we stepped onto the street, Tonks and Mad-Eye Moody were already waiting in what they thought was more discreet clothing. To Moody that meant an oddly angled bowler hat to disguise his magical eye.

After only a short train ride, we arrived to an old brick department store that appeared to be abandoned. I had never been, but I knew that this was how they concealed St. Mungo's from the Muggles in surrounding London.

Witches and wizards in all sorts of conditions passed us, with illnesses ranging from swollen heads to sprouted wings. One man was holding the end of a rope, and when I looked up I saw a very bloated looking young girl tied to the other end like some sort of weird balloon. It was all a little overwhelming. George seemed to feel the same way as his eyes darted around the busy waiting room, his brows furrowed.

"You okay?" I whispered. He looked down at me, his frown turning into a nervous smile as he nodded. I took his hand in mine and we walked down the pristine halls behind the rest of his family.

"Come on, come on." Mrs. Weasley shooed us inside a large ward.

There were only three beds occupied. On the far end, a healer was placing a cup of ice water on the tray by Mr. Weasley. He smiled gratefully at her before his eyes caught his approaching family. "Hello!" He beamed and set down his copy of the Daily Prophet on his bedside table. "Bill just left, said he had to get back to Gringotts."

"How are you feeling, dear?" Mrs. Weasley adjusted some of the several pillows that were propping him up.

"I feel absolutely fine," Mr. Weasley spoke with a bright smile. He paused to open his arm and let Ginny nuzzle into his side. "If they could take these bandages off I'd be back home ready to celebrate with you lot."

"Why can't they take them off?" Fred asked.

"Well, uh." He flushed, rubbing the back of his neck with a chuckle. "I start bleeding like mad every time they try. I think there was some kind of poison in that snake's fangs that keeps wounds from healing."

I zoned out as he started explaining what the other two patients in the ward were here for. I have so many questions swirling around my mind about this snake...and about what was so important that Mr. Weasley had to be at the Ministry guarding it all night. Apparently I wasn't the only one with questions.

"So, dad." Fred sat on the edge of his hospital bed. "What exactly were you doing at the Ministry so late?"

"Fred!" Mrs. Weasley hissed. "This is not the time or place to discuss this."

"C'mon, mum! Dad, just tell us what you were guarding? Is it that weapon Sirius said Voldemort needed?" George whispered.

"Blink twice if he's right." Fred and George leaned in close to hear an answer, but were disappointed when their dad only shook his head. "Sorry, kids." Mr. Weasley mimed zipping his lips closed and throwing away the key. He smiled enthusiastically at me after he did it, tickled that I had taught him a popular Muggle way of communicating silence.

"Alright, alright. Your father needs to rest. Say your goodbyes." Mrs. Weasley instructed, despite her children's groans of displeasure.

* * *

"Pssst." I heard Fred's voice calling. "Hey, love birds."

"Sod off, Freddie. It's Christmas. I deserve to sleep in." George mumbled, burying his face in my hair and tightening his grip around me.

I had probably become too comfortable with sneaking into their room at night. Both of us got a bit of extra peace from falling asleep in each other's arms. It feels good to be close to one another with all of the uncertainty—and I had a feeling George needed it after having to visit his father in St. Mungo's. It was a bit traumatic seeing him so bandaged up.

"Well, Happy Christmas." Fred grinned mischievously. "But mum's going around waking everyone up and she might be surprised to see Ginny's had the bed to herself."

I sat up quick as I heard Mrs. Weasley's footsteps outside in the hall. "Shit." I grabbed the first wand I could get my hands on and apparated out of the room.

Unfortunately, I grabbed George's and not my own and ended up a room to the right and not to the one across the hall.

"Bloody hell!" Ron grabbed his covers and pulled them up to his chin in an attempt to conceal his bare chest.

"Sorry, sorry. I grabbed George's wand instead of mine and apparated into the wrong room." I rubbed the sleep from my eyes and made my way over to the door.

"What if we weren't decent?" Ron looked appalled.

"I would've closed my eyes." I scoffed and tiptoed out of the room. Just as I began to walk across to the girl's room I bumped into Mrs. Weasley.

"Leah, dear. There you are. I began to worry a bit. Where did you run off to?" She wore a bright smile despite her puffy eyes.

I discreetly tucked George's wand into the waistband of my pajamas. "Oh, I just had to use the loo!" I gave her a big smile and scurried off into the room with Ginny and Hermione, who had left her ski trip with her parents early to celebrate Christmas with us. I let out a sigh of relief as the door closed behind me, my back pressed against the solid wood.

"Cutting it a little close this time." Ginny giggled and pulled a sweater vest over her head.

I rolled my eyes, sorting through my own clothing. "The worst part is I grabbed the wrong wand and apparated into Harry and Ron's room." I groaned, pulling a patterned jumper and a pair of jeans from my trunk. "This is what I get for trying to be sneaky."

The girls laughed at my expense as we all continued to get ready. We are going to try to have our own Christmas at Grimmauld Place this year. It's not quite the Burrow, but it'll do. At least Mr. Weasley will be here this afternoon from the hospital. He's not nearly perfect but he's feeling much better.

Crack!

All three of us jumped as Fred and George plopped on the edge of the bed. "Happy Christmas!" Fred grinned. "Glad to see you're all ready but you might want to wait a bit to head downstairs."

George shook his head angrily. "Percy mailed back his Christmas jumper...without a note. Mum's been crying all morning. We tried to comfort her—"

"But apparently she still doesn't want to hear him called a humongous pile of rat droppings." Fred shrugged.

"Though the git deserves it for hurting mum like that." George added. "Oh, and Leah. Can I have my wand back? Yours is a little girly for me."

Fred sniggered as I rolled my eyes, exchanging his wand for my own. "You know you wouldn't have to worry about that if the two of you didn't insist on sharing a bed doing Godric knows what kind of disgusting things."

"Fred, you sleep in the bed next to ours. You'd know if we were doing anything 'disgusting.'" I scoffed, my cheeks warming as Ginny and Hermione laughed. Fred didn't look totally convinced as the twins apparated back out of the room. We waited a little bit longer before deciding it was safe to leave our room now.

Sirius' voice was echoing through the halls. He had been singing carols all morning, 'God Rest Ye Merry Hippogriffs' in particular. I don't think I've ever seen him this cheery. Tinsel was wrapped down the banisters of the stairs and holly garnished the chandeliers.

I trotted down the stairs behind the other two girls and into the kitchen. The twins were standing with Ron and playing with an enchanted Santa toy that was flying around the room on its own in a tiny sleigh. I've never had one of those at my Muggle Christmases.

"Here we go." Mrs. Weasley had a huge grin spread across her face as she wheeled her battered husband into the room. "Daddy's back!"

We all clapped as he offered us a small smile. The purple bruising that littered his skin had faded, though he still had bite marks all along his face and hands that were covered with seemingly fresh bandages. It makes me sick to think anyone would want to attack such a kind man.

"Ooo. Presents!" Mrs. Weasley clapped her hands excitedly before turning to the tree. She handed each one out, struggling a bit to tell which went to which twin. "Come on, open up. I want to see your faces!" She squealed.

She truly loves to give gifts to her loved ones. The best part is they're all handmade with love. I unwrapped my present to see a lovely wool knit hat with a pom-pom on top. "Thank you so much Mrs. Weasley. I love it." I gave her a huge hug. I may not be with my father this year but Mrs. Weasley sure makes me feel apart of the family.

"There's one more for you, dear." She gave me a warm smile as she pulled another present from underneath the tree.

"Really?" My lips twitched into a smile when my hands ran over the poorly wrapped present. The unkempt wrapping paper was a trademark of my dad's. Sometimes I think he hasn't tried to improve because it's become a bit of a tradition for me to comment on it every Christmas morning. I ran my fingers under the edges to release the tape before carefully unraveling it. I lifted the edges of the box to reveal a few of my favorite muggle snacks, buried beneath them was a picture frame. Tears welled in my eyes at the sight of my parents and I, a photo that normally resided on my bedside table. My dad always tended to know exactly what I needed.

Harry and Sirius came into the room a few moments later and we all quickly made room for them to sit down with us at the table. The two seem to have gotten so close, the godfather relationship becoming more and more evident. I'm glad he has someone with all that he is going through—and I really hope the two talked about how he was feeling. He has been distancing himself from us since he had his nightmare. Yesterday he had locked himself upstairs instead of joining in on the fun of decorating the house for the holiday. Everyone passed around plates of food until we all had a bit of everything. I was practically drooling at the mix of smells.

George poured me a cup of Mrs. Weasley's famous Christmas punch before smiling and setting his hand on my knee, squeezing gently. We had decided no presents this year, and I wouldn't have it any other way. A Christmas just to enjoy each other's company without the stress of picking the perfect gift. Simple, but perfect.

"A Christmas toast!" Mr. Weasley rose his glass. "To Mr. Harry Potter. Without whom...I would not be here."

We all toasted to an embarrassed looking Harry before digging into the meal. By the end of it, all of us would need a proper nap. But of course the conversation shifted to the new control the Ministry has at Hogwarts.

"So...how is Dolores in her new post?" Mr. Weasley rolled his eyes, taking another sip of his second glass of punch. He must have lots of experience with her from working at the Ministry.

"More rules than you can imagine." Ron shook his head and reached for yet another dessert.

"All Weasley products have been banned from the school. So at least we're making a name for ourselves." Ginny giggled at her twin brothers. Their mother rolled her eyes while Mr. Weasley seemed proud of his sons. Mrs. Weasley still isn't too happy that the twin's dream involves sweets that make you puke. She's expressed many times her desire for the two to get a Ministry job along with their father.

"That's not the only rule our family is responsible for." Fred smirked, looking between George and I. I should have known Fred would bring that up. I kicked him harshly under the table and gave him a warning glare. "Ow!" He muttered before continuing anyways. "Boys and girls must stay eight inches from each other after she saw these two snogging in the hallway." He erupted in laughter, the other kids at the table joining in.

"Shut up, you git." George reached across me to punch his brother in the arm. Mrs. Weasley shook her head with a smile as the two continued to argue over my head.

———————————

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.2K 195 30
The cover is entirely mine although the pictures were found on google ❤️💛 First off the plot is entirely my own although all characters except for y...
21.6K 254 51
"We're meant to be, you and I, even if you don't want to accept it." - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - In which the eldest Weasley twin...
55.9K 822 35
You're a Gryffindor in your sixth(or fifth. Whatever year they're in in goblet of fire) year with Fred and George Weasley. You'd been best friends si...
49.7K 651 71
Quinn Nymphadora Weasley was far from shy. Growing up an only child, having lost her mother at an early age and having been raised by her dragon tra...