8 - The Chamber

I scratched one of the many owls in the Hogwart's owlery under the chin before handing it my letter to go home. I didn't love visiting the owlery. Of course I loved to visit all the birds, they had nearly every breed and color imaginable, but dodging the regurgitated skeletons of mice and the bird mess that littered the straw floor was a turn off for me. The months had flown by at school. I had been trying to keep my dad up to date on everything without completely frightening him. Of course that's difficult to do when there's a creature trying to petrify students. It was hard enough for him to send me back after Christmas break.

"Ready? I'll walk you back up to your common room." Cedric stood by a light brown owl and fed it small pieces of bread crust. I assume he had pocketed it after breakfast as a treat for his family's owl.

"Yup." I sighed and followed him back outside. It was a bit frustrating being escorted everywhere like a child but it did make me feel a bit safer. We were pretty sure that whatever was attacking students was going for students with two Muggle parents, but better safe than sorry.

We walked in silence for a moment, enjoying the now warm weather. It felt odd to have such a nice spring day amidst all that's happening.

"So I bet you were a little relieved when the match against Gryffindor was cancelled." I smiled up at him. "You know...save yourself the embarrassment."

"Ouch." He jokingly clutched at his heart. "You might have actually stood a chance since we're now down a player."

I nodded with a nervous smile. Justin Finch-Fletchley was one of the students who had been petrified. Cedric and his teammates had understandably taken it pretty hard. Justin was always very friendly during my brief encounters with him.

"I bet the Mandrakes will be ready soon. Then that Draught will have him feeling good as new." I mustered the most comforting grin I could as we approached the Fat Lady.

"Thanks, Leah. I'll see you." He nodded a goodbye before heading back down the staircase.

When I entered the common room, I was surprised to find it empty. I climbed the stairs to the girls dormitories until I reached the floor for first years. I knocked on the door until I heard a quiet "Come in."

"Hey Ginny." I smiled when I saw the red headed girl sat on her four poster, her knees pulled up to her chest. My smile instantly faded when I noticed the even more prominent bags under her eyes and the pale tint to her skin.

I didn't say anything but just sat on the bed beside her, pulling her into my arms. She instantly nuzzled her face into my chest and her arms wrapped tight around me. Quiet sobs were muffled by my hoodie as I rubbed her back, resting my chin on the top of her head. "Everything's going to be fine, Gin." I assured her, running my fingers through her silky hair.

She pulled away and let me get a look at her tear stained cheeks. "Promise? No matter what?"

"I promise." I nodded. I fumbled around in my pocket for a minute before pulling out my last chocolate frog. "Here." I pressed it into her hand.

She reluctantly accepted it, once I assured her it was okay she tore into it and began nibbling on the treat. I stood to move behind her as she ate. My fingers moved through her hair once again, this time carefully braiding the strands like I had seen her mother do for her back home.

I'm sure she's having a difficult time as it is being away from her family. But to have all of this happening on top of it must really be getting to her. I can't help the twinge of guilt I felt. I should've been checking in on her much more than I have. What a shit friend I've been.

Her eyes fluttered closed as I hummed, continuing to work through her hair. The brief moment of peace was quickly interrupted when Fred and George burst into the room. "It's Hermione." Fred breathed out. "We're going to see Ron if you want to meet us downstairs."