Ashes | JENO

By lost_in_neocity

Ft. NCT's Lee Jeno There were two rules: 1. Never wander the dark streets alone at night. 2. If you see a pe... More

Characters
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Epilogue
Masterlist

Chapter 29

13.8K 592 342
By lost_in_neocity

Despite being a part of the Phoenixes, Soojung hadn't really interacted with Jaemin unless it was in class. But during that time, they were much too focused on their school work, not really having time to chat about their personal lives.

They didn't really have time in the hospital either. Jaemin's patient was in critical condition so the male had disappeared the second they arrived. Jeno had began taking Soojung to the hospital too and picked her up after the shift to see the cats, so Soojung rarely spent any time with Jaemin.

Jaemin had also distanced himself from her and Jeno and Jeno had told her that Jaemin just needed some time to sort his own thoughts out. Jeno said it happened from time to time so Soojung shouldn't think too much about it.

"You seem happy today, did your boy do something?" Ms. Kim asked as Soojung replaced her bandages like usual.

Oh, I completely forgot to tell her.

"We made it official." Soojung told her. "So we're officially dating now."

"That's very nice and about time." Ms. Kim said, just as Soojung finished up.

"Yeah it is." Soojung said, smiling at the woman.

Ms. Kim let out a yawn and Soojung could tell that the woman would be falling asleep any second now.

"You should invite him to the hospital one day." Ms. Kim mumbled out.

"Perhaps." Soojung said, tucking the woman into bed. Just as she turned around to leave, she hear Ms. Kim say a few more words.

"Your new hair is also really pretty, Seolhee."

Seolhee?

Soojung whipped around but Ms. Kim was already fast asleep, snoring.

Did Ms. Kim know Seolhee?

...

"Something's bothering you." Jeno said as he stared at his girlfriend who was petting the cat in her lap.

Jeno had noticed it when he had picked Soojung up from the hospital. It seemed like something was on the girl's mind and he couldn't exactly place what is was. Which is why he was asking her about it now.

Soojung sighed, leaning against Jeno as he wrapped his arm around her. "You know Ms. Kim?"

Jeno nodded his head. "Your patient?"

"Yeah, she called me Seolhee."

Jeno froze at Soojung's words. "What?"

"Yeah, I know right. It's weird, don't you think? She must be getting her memories back but that means that she knew Seolhee."

Jeno met Soojung's eyes as she turned around. "Do you think that she knew her?"

"Who, Seolhee?" Jeno asked. Soojung nodded before turning around.

"But that wouldn't make sense. Who would Seolhee know that was caught in a building fire?" Soojung said to herself.

It can't be, Jeno thought, deciding to stay quiet as he softly pet the cat purring in his lap.

...

Soojung yawned as she made her way to the washroom after staying the night at Jeno's place. Haechan was at Ayeon's and Soojung had stayed late at the bar, waiting for Jeno to return from the deal so Jaemin had taken Haechan's bed instead.

As she came out, she saw Jaemin sitting at the counter with his mug of coffee and deciding that it would be a good time to clear the air between them.

"Hey." Soojung said to her lab partner, who looked up.

"Hi." Jaemin mumbled back and Soojung could tell that Jaemin was not exactly eager to engage in conversation with her.

"I'm not mad at you." Soojung said as she popped some bread in the toaster. "I know you were just trying to protect Jeno."

"Really now?" Jaemin said and Soojung took a deep breath, staying calm.

"Yeah Jaemin, I do." Soojung said, standing across from the male. "Even though Jeno has his brother and cousin, I know he's the closest thing you have to family. He means a lot to you, so I don't blame you at all for doing what you did. I would have done the same in your situation too."

Jaemin was quiet as he sipped his coffee, waiting a moment before responding. "You know, I'm glad that Jeno found you."

Now it was Soojung's turn to be surprised. "Really?"

Jaemin nodded. "There was something in him that died with Seolhee. I didn't know what it was but the light in Jeno, it disappeared. And when it returned when you entered his life, I got scared."

"You didn't want Jeno to lose someone else, did you?" Soojung asked.

Jaemin shook his head. "No, I didn't. That's why I was so against you two being together. But now, I see that you two are good for each other. It's kind of cute, actually."

Soojung smiled as Jaemin chuckled before turning to her toast that was finished. She felt arms wrap around her as she finished placing her bread on the plate, getting a huge whiff of Jeno's cologne.

"So the two of you reconciled on your own, good." Jeno said, placing a kiss on Soojung's neck before stealing a slice of toast.

"Hey!" Soojung whined as Jeno took a big bite of it, grinning for ear to ear.

"I mean if you want, we can continue ignoring each other so you can spend more time with her." Jaemin said, wiggling his eyebrows.

Jeno shrugged, giving his best friend a look. "As much as I want her all to myself, I don't know if I can spend another day of reminding you to do your part of the labs for her because she's too scared to message you."

"Stop exposing me." Soojung whined with a pout, making the two boys laugh.

"Wait, isn't the report due next week though?" Jaemin asked.

Soojung wasn't sure if he was serious or not but the look on his face told her that he was.

Soojung had to admit, she was indeed a calm person but Jaemin had just triggered something in her that made her raise her voice at him.

"Yah, you idiot! The report it due in two days!" Soojung exclaimed, making Jeno rub her back to calm her down as Jaemin gave her a wide smile, rubbing the back of his neck in embarassment.

...

Jeno didn't know why he was nervous as he stood at the lobby of the hospital, waiting for Soojung.

He normally waited outside but the girl had asked him to come early so he could meet her patient, who apparently was very excited to meet the male that had captured Soojung's heart.

Jeno slid his phone in his pocket as he looked around for signs of the girl but only saw other patients and hospital worker.

"Jeno!"

Jeno turned around at the sound of his name being called and saw Soojung standing there in her scrubs, her hair tied back in a low ponytail, a big smile on her face.

"Are you excited?" Soojung asked as she guided him to the elevator, the two them making their way to Ms. Kim's hospital room.

"I don't know how to feel." Jeno admitted as the doors opened, the two of them stepping out.

"It's okay, that's how I felt too." Soojung said, giving his hand a squeeze as they greeted the workers, a few of them giving him looks from the jacket he wore.

"So I just want to remind you, Ms. Kim is a burn patient so most of her body is covered up by bandages but she is indeed a middle aged female. She's also kind of fiesty sometimes but you deal with Renjun so it should be no different." Soojung said as the entered the hospital room.

Jeno was overwhelmed by emotions as he saw the woman lying in the bed, exactly as Soojung had described her. His heart broke for her, memories of the building fire his parent's had died in coming back to him.

"Ms. Kim, this is my boyfriend." Soojung said, pulling Jeno over.

Those eyes, Jeno thought as the woman turned around staring at Jeno's face.

"Jeno?" Ms. Kim exclaimed and Jeno could see tears welling in her eyes. That voice.

Jeno knew that Soojung was confused as she looked at the two of them but Jeno could only focus on the woman in front of him as he felt tears form as well, holding the woman's hand.

"Eomma."

---------------------------

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

341K 10.7K 50
During a bank robbery, you're surprised to see the criminal recognise you. Only later then you learn that your high school admirer and sweetheart now...
90.7K 6.8K 51
[n.jm x l.dh] [mafia au] ೃ⁀➷ in which outlaw nana is back in town, and mafia leader donghyuck needs to wa...
11K 279 23
'Burn up the road until I surpass you.' 'But we're already on the same, next level.' na jaemin of nct mafia, street racing au please vote started: 11...
282K 13.3K 51
☼ nct lee jeno ceo fanfiction ❝ why did you take his position? i don't think i hired you to do the job ❞ ⇝ ⇝ ⇝ ⇝ ⇝ started: june 12, 2020 published:...