I'll Do The Same { Din Djarin...

By Alpineglow

After the unexpected assassination of her master, twenty nine year old Thell Sai'Lya, a servant, must forge h... More

Prologue
Chapter One: Silhouettes
Chapter Two: Names
Chapter Three: Grass
Chapter Four: Burns
Chapter Five: Nightmares
Chapter Seven: Stories
Chapter Eight: Illuminance
Chapter Nine: Armor
Chapter Ten: Vulnerable
Chapter Eleven: Starlight
Chapter Twelve: Warmth
Chapter Thirteen: Inclinations
Chapter Fourteen: Renewal
Chapter Fifteen: Firsts
Chapter Sixteen: Tenacity
Chapter Seventeen: Perseverence
Chapter Eighteen: Signal
Chapter Nineteen: Radiance
Chapter Twenty: Promises
Chapter Twenty One: Blurred
Chapter Twenty Two: Disclosure
Chapter Twenty Three: Vigor
Chapter Twenty Four: Kijimi
Chapter Twenty Five: Snowfall
Chapter Twenty Six: Heal
Chapter Twenty Seven: Kar'ta
Chapter Twenty Eight: Mission
Chapter Twenty Nine: Downpour
Chapter Thirty: Infiltration
Chapter Thirty One: Delay
Chapter Thirty Two: Requiem
Chapter Thirty Three: Constellations
Epilogue
Author's Note: THANK YOU!

Chapter Six: Nevarro

2.9K 107 11
By Alpineglow

"W... What?"

"Your necklace... This symbol, it's Mandalorian."

Thell's brows creased, and her mouth suddenly felt dry.

"My father... was he a Mandalorian?"

"I'm not sure... This looks like Clan Eldar, but they haven't existed for at least two decades. I don't know why your father would have this."

He let the necklace drop back against her tunic, but Thell could only pick it back up and stare at the gleaming metal. Her mind was ringing, her confusion suddenly turning to wonder, to curiosity. Who had her father been, truly? Was this some reason as to why her mother had never spoken about him?

But she couldn't think about it for too long, because suddenly the ship rocked under her feet and she was thrown to the ground. Knees collided with the steel flooring, bruising her skin, but she felt strong hands pulling her up by her arms, back up to her feet. Over the haze of the vision and the loud beeping ringing inside the Razor Crest, she could just make out Mando's mask in front of her. He was holding her shoulders, shaking her.

"Did you hear me?" He was practically yelling. "Get the kid, and get back up here!"

Thell sprang up from her seat, careening towards the staircase and throwing herself down into the cargo hold.

"Grogu!" She called, feeling the ship rock underneath her feet as she spotted the small green baby several feet from her. Once the kid was in her arms, she raced back to the cockpit, strapping him securely in the adjacent seat and fixing her belt next. The Mandalorian was strapped in as well, his gloved hands flickering over the control panel. Lights flashed above her head, and that incessant beeping continued until there was a constant buzz in Thell's ears.

"Hey!" Thell called over the noise. "What's going on?"

"A lone TIE fighter," Mando explained. "He must know about the kid... hold on."

With a jerk of his wrist, the Razor Crest plowed forward, diving in an arc that caused Thell to become pressed up against the seat. The next moment, it lurched backwards, and nausea rose in her throat. The beeping had stopped, but Thell could hear the excited squeals of the child beside her. At the moment that the Razor Crest flew stable again, she cast a glance to her side: the kid had his tiny hands raised, his large eyes scrunched in pure joy. She would have laughed, would have nearly smiled had a loud explosion above her head caused the ship to lurch forward again. Mando cursed, something in a language that Thell didn't recognize, before slamming a handle up and sending them flying into hyperspace.

Thell was jerked forward again only to be slammed back against the seat, until finally, the ship lulled. The ground still vibrated beneath her feet, but they seemed safe for the moment. The beeping had stopped, but with his tense shoulders, Thell could tell that the Mandalorian was stressed. Her eyes flickered back to Grogu, who was playing happily with that same metal orb from earlier in the week.

"Mando?" Thell said softly, as not to stress him out more, and leaned forward when he didn't reply.

"Mando, what happened?"

"He hit one of the thrusters," he replied, but his voice was gruff as always. "We're going to have to land before that thing blows."

"Are we gonna be okay?" Thell asked, casting a quick glance at Grogu.

Suddenly Mando turned halfway in his seat, clasping her shoulder firmly. Something in his touch surprised Thell.

"We'll be fine. We're going to see some friends."

They landed on the volcanic planet Nevarro, just outside a small village. Mando was in the cargo hold while Thell had one arm wrapped around Grogu. The Mandalorian turned back towards her, pushing a blaster in her direction.

"You won't need it, but just in case."

Thell eyed the weapon carefully before nodding and sticking it in a loose space in her trousers, a spot she could grab from easily.

"Mando."

He turned slightly. "What is it?"

Her fingers found the necklace again. "Are we... Will I figure out what this is?"

"We will. Let's just get this finished first."

With Grogu in her arms, she followed the Mandalorian down the side ramp into the still air of Nevarro. It was surprisingly quiet for a village this size, so Thell stayed close to the Mandalorian's side. They hadn't ventured into many villages together, if any, and she felt surprisingly safe with him so close. She knew she could shoot if she needed to, but it was nice knowing Mando would respond first.

Waiting for them at the entrance to the village were two other humans: an older, gruff looking black man and a middle aged woman with black hair that was braided along one side. Both looked like seasoned warriors in Thell's eyes, so she found herself slinking closer to the Mandalorian's side. But he was calm, walking with a confidence that Thell only wished she had.

But any fear she had diminished as the man stepped closer, opening his arms in greeting.

"Mando!" He said, stepping closer to the Mandalorian. "Good to see you, old friend."

They shook hands, all the while the man's eyes were directed on Grogu.

"I see the baby is well taken care of," the man said, with a mischievous look in Mando's direction. Something passed between them, some deep, unspoken thing. With one hand on his hip, Mando motioned to Thell.

"This is Thell Sai'Lya, she's traveling with the kid and me." When he introduced her, pride swelled in her chest.

"Thell, this is Greef Karga." Thell leaned forward to shake his hand, until he motioned the baby to himself.

"Ah, my little green friend!" When Thell cast an anxious look in Mando's direction, he only dipped his head. She hesitantly passed Grogu to Karga, who gently held the kid and cooed playfully at him. The kid looked happy enough, so Thell could feel her soul become more at ease.

Mando had stepped aside, now talking to the other woman who had accompanied Karga. She hadn't meant to eavesdrop, but they could only talk so quietly in the soft atmosphere of the volcanic planet. Karga seemed busy as it was entertaining Grogu, who was babbling happily in his arms.

"Who's the girl?" The woman's voice was hard, but something about the way she dressed and held herself told Thell it was just how she normally was.

"Thell Sai'Lya. I took her on about a month ago."

"A month?" The woman said, almost in disbelief. "Hell, Mando, I thought you didn't like anyone but the kid."

Thell couldn't help but almost laugh when she saw the Mandalorian go stiff under her assuming response.

"It, it's not like that. She's helping with the kid."

The woman smirked, a knowing smirk that made Thell almost feel embarrassed for the Mandalorian.

"Right, Mando, and I'm the one that's wearing a mask," she sneered before walking over to where they stood, looking Thell up and down. The Mandalorian slowly followed after her, keeping one hand placed on his hip. Thell watched his attention flicker back and forth between her and the kid in Karga's arms.

"Cara Dune," she said, extending her own hand.

The smile she gave Thell was comforting, so she stuck out her own hand.

"Thell Sai'Lya, it's nice to meet you two."

"We can't stay long, but I had a run in with a TIE," the Mandalorian explained. "Seemed to blow the right thruster all the way through. I just need repairs done."

"I can get some men on it right away," Karga said, with the baby still in his arms. "For now, let's go have a drink."

. . . .

"So, where are from, young Sai'Lya?"

Looking up from her drink, Thell made eye contact with Greef Karga, who was already looking at her expectantly.

The bar was quiet, a semi warm breeze drawn in from the open arched doorway ruffling the collar of Thell's cloak. Cara Dune was on her other side, slouched with one arm draped over the edge of the booth, a dark colored drink in her other hand. The Mandalorian, her unusual confidante in all of this, was next to Karga, holding the child as Grogu sipped on broth.

"I'm from Bespin," Thell answered, scrunching her fingers into her pantleg.

"Bespin, huh?" Karga added. "What were you doing all the way out there?"

"I was born there... I worked there until I met Mando."

"And how, exactly, did you two cross paths?" Cara asked suddenly.

Thell swallowed heavily, and cast an anxious glance at the Mandalorian. Surely they knew his reputation as a bounty hunter.

"He assassinated my master and I basically begged him to take me off the planet," Thell said, as casually as she could, before taking a large sip of her drink. To her surprise, the table had gone quiet, and she raised her head to see Cara and Karga both staring at her with their lips parted. The Mandalorian was quiet, but something about the way he rubbed his hand on the back of his neck caused Thell to wonder if he was trying to hold in a laugh.

She could feel a smile rising on her own lips, so she quickly added, "I found Grogu first. He's the only reason why I wanted to come in the first place."

She meant it as a joke, and she hoped Mando would catch on. Cara and Karga had definitely caught on, as they both snickered behind their drinks. To her relief, the Mandalorian seemed to relax against the booth, shrugging lightly when Thell looked his way. She wished she could see him under the helmet, whether or not he was grinning from her comment.

They stayed until the sun was setting, and the soft yellow glow of the lamps in the bar were the only thing that illuminated their faces.

"You know, he wouldn't normally keep people on."

Thell blinked, halfway through sipping her drink, to look up at Cara. "What do you mean?"

"Mando has always been an outsider. He prefers to do things by himself, keep to himself. It's the life of a bounty hunter, I suppose. But as long as I've known Mando, he also just likes being by himself. So it surprised me after he decided to keep the kid. Risking everything for that little guy. Ever since he took him on, he's been... warmer."

Cara Dune shifted in her seat, resting one arm on the table so she could look at Thell clearly.

"And here he is, surprising me again, keeping yet another person with him. I've worked with Mando before. He doesn't like staying in one place too long. There's always something he has to get done. I think that goes the same for the people he's around... He doesn't want to become attached, so he just leaves."

Suddenly embarrassed, Thell sipped her drink and diverted her eyes away from Cara.

"But... he has the kid. He's had him for a while. Wouldn't you say he's changed, then?"

She shrugged. "The kid's different, Thell. He... does things that none of us have ever seen before. I'm sure you've noticed it by now. I've seen that Mandalorian risk more for him than most people would for their own friends. If he's changed, I'm surprised it's because of the kid."

"But I wouldn't doubt it," Thell whispered under her breath, her gaze flickering to the Mandalorian. He sat on the other end of the table, the kid wrapped securely in his arm, the child's whole hand grasping his gloved thumb tightly. Thell felt her heart warm just looking at them, at her strange new crew that was slowly becoming her family. She just didn't want to think about what would happen after they finished their mission with Grogu, what that separation would mean.

"Then... why does he keep me on?" Thell asked

"Beats me. Maybe somewhere deep in that steel heart of his he's finally wanting some company."

"Well... he's not too bad."

"Hm," she could hear Cara nearly laugh at her comment, and Thell felt blood rush to her cheeks.

"What?" She said, fixing her hair and turning back towards the warrior.

Cara was smirking, that same knowing smirk she had given Mando earlier.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" Thell asked.

"Because you like him."

If Thell could vanish, she would have, right then and there. She cast a quick side glance to see if Mando had heard, but he seemed heavily engaged in a low conversation with Karga. She scooted closer to Cara, shielding her face from Mando's view.

"I... I don't."

"I see the way you look at him, and trust me, I know it's not just because of the kid," Cara said quietly. "You'd have to be blind not to notice."

"I barely know the guy," Thell pressed.

Cara's brows raised, but the smirk remained. "C'mon, you guys have been together a month. That's more than enough time to see how he is. He's not too bad once you really get to know him. He has a pretty dry sense of humor if you haven't noticed already. And he can be soft when he wants to. He just doesn't like admitting it. I'm sure you'd like to get to know him better... wouldn't you?"

Thell shrugged, swirling her glass. "I don't know... I'm not sure if this is a long term thing." When Cara's eyes studied her thoughtfully, Thell added, "I told him I would leave once we figure out this thing with the kid."

"Leave?" Cara asked. "I thought you said you didn't have anywhere to go."

Thell shrugged, slouching back against her seat. "I don't... But I'm sure I'll figure something out."

"Well, if it means anything, you're welcome to come back here."

Thell beamed. "Thank you... that means a lot."

Cara's eyes drifted from Thell back over to the Mandalorian, and after a moment of deep thought, she spoke.

"From what I've seen, he seems to care about you too. So I wouldn't expect to just be dropped off in the middle of nowhere once your deal is up. He wouldn't have let you stay as long as you have if he didn't want you around."

Thell bit the inside of her lip, letting her mind wander. If she did like him, truly, was it worth it letting those feelings rise?

"I don't know if there's really a point in pursuing this if we're just going to get split up at the end of the day."

"I wouldn't let that-"

Cara was interrupted by the sound of two blaster shots, ones that rang in Thell's ears. As fast as she could, she retrieved the blaster from its spot around her waist, raising it above the table. Her hands were shaking, but she had stood up, and was pointing in the direction of where the sounds had come from.

But the Mandalorian had been ahead of her, standing with his shoulders taut and his arm straight out, holding a single blaster.

A lone body lay on the floor, steam rising from the hole in his abdomen. Thell couldn't see his face, but she knew who he was, where he came from, from the signet on his left shoulder. The symbol of an Empire supporter.

. . . .

"Must have been this."

Cara walked back over to where Mando and Thell stood, waiting with Grogu in her arms. She passed Mando a flat circular disk, one that he turned over in his hand.

"A tracking chip."

The Mandalorian inspected it closely. "Must have been why the TIE was after us."

"If it's the Empire, or anyone affiliated with them, I would suggest getting out of here before more of them show up."

"Is the ship ready?" Mando asked, nearly unfazed by Cara's comment.

Karga wiped sweat from his brow. "Ready as she'll ever be."

"Good." Then he turned back to Thell and Grogu, and she could tell he was scanning her through the helmet.

"What do you say? You still on for this?"

Thell dipped her head, not hiding her small smile. "I go where you go. Where we go."

Her eyes fell upon Grogu, whom she snuggled closer to her and ran a hand across his large, floppy ears.

Mando said his goodbyes to Karga and Cara, but Thell lingered outside, letting her gaze rest on the falling sun. Golden rays were cast against the small metal village, illuminating the plates in an array of colors.

"Hey, kid."

Thell turned, spotting Cara walking towards her. As soon as she was close enough, she stuck her arm out.

"Take it easy out there. I think the kid likes you," Cara said before shaking hands with Thell again, while Grogu murmured softly against her cloak.

"And I don't think Mr. Grumpy over there minds you too much, either."

Thell could feel the heat in her cheeks as Cara nodded her head in the direction of the Mandalorian, who stood on the Razor Crest checking controls.

"You guys are good for each other. You balance each other out," Cara added.

Thell huffed. "I try. Sometimes I feel like I'm talking to a statue."

"Give it time," Cara said with a well meaning smile. "He'll get there."

After saying her farewells to Cara and Karga, Thell returned back to the ship, coming to stand closely to the Mandalorian. Grogu was still in her arms, holding onto her thumbs.

"We would have been killed if you hadn't shot that guy. You were right about this not being easy."

"Are you backing out?" Mando asked, turning in her direction, and Thell wondered if he would miss her. "If so, Nevarro isn't a bad place to start. Karga and Cara would help you out."

But Thell elbowed him playfully, lightly, crossing her arms and letting her gaze linger back to the setting sun. He seemed to enjoy her boyishness, resting with one hand on his hip as his eyeline followed her's.

"Backing out? Me?" Thell snickered, sweeping a hand through her hair. "Not yet... Besides, we made a deal. And I don't break promises."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

46.8K 1.5K 18
"I need you to watch over this child I'm taking care of." The Innkeeper's eyebrows raised at the request. "Oh? For what reason?" "I need to find a jo...
Moon Dust By

Fanfiction

529 8 6
You want more from him, everything really.. Sum; You need transport to escape your planet and your clan. Although the man in beskar don't do this kin...
121K 2.9K 45
[S1 COMPLETE] [S2 COMPLETE] [S3 IN PROGRESS] -PLEASE READ FULL DESCRIPTION- "I need your help. With the kid. With everything." 𝘛𝘸𝘰 𝘔𝘢𝘯𝘥𝘢𝘭𝘰�...
180K 3.8K 18
What if, way before the Mandalorian ever got the bounty for a 50 year old child, he met someone that could turn his whole life around in just a few s...