Heart of an Outlaw *First in...

By conleyswifey

Gilliam Tomlinson had had to fight for every ounce of respect he had ever managed to gain from the Texas Rang... More

Heart of an Outlaw
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four

Chapter Twenty-Five

27K 1.4K 44
By conleyswifey

Chapter Twenty-Five 

Jeb had never in his life felt the contentment that he felt riding with Gill beside him. He hated to admit it, and probably wouldn’t out loud, but his little brother had been right. Craig had told him he needed more than just the gang and their mission to be happy and Jeb knew now that what he’d needed was Gill. 

Gill was strong, he was capable, he could take care of himself and had a fierce loyalty to those he cared about--that was easy enough to see based on his friendship with Pete. But there was more. Gill gave Jeb something that he’d never had before--intimate companionship. Not just the physical aspects but the emotional as well. Jeb had never wanted that with anyone but Gill had awoken that desire within him. He wanted Gill to be his best friend--someone he could lean on and he wanted to be that person for Gill as well. 

Four nights they’d been sharing a tent and a bed every night. Four nights of holding the man close to him and whispering together in the darkness. He’d learned so much about Gill in that time. Learning what made the man tick, memorizing the nuances of his voice and facial expressions.

Jeb was so lost in his thoughts of Gill that he was surprised when he saw the man raise his hand and signal the gang to stop. He was even more surprised when everyone, even Willie, obeyed Gill. While things hadn’t been hostile the last few days, they certainly hadn’t been overly peaceful and friendly. It was clear that Craig and Willie were still hurt over what they saw as Gill’s lies, Willie was still being hateful Willie and Gill and Pete had simply been keeping their heads down and wait on everyone to accept them once again. 

“Why are we stopping?” Jane asked, adjusting herself in the saddle and sliding the back of her hand over her sweaty brow. 

“Gill sees something,” Pete replied while watching his best friend closely. Jeb followed Gill’s gaze and squinted hard. Far in the distance, barely more than dots on the horizon, he noticed several mule deer grazing. 

“I don’t see anything,” Willie grumbled. “Let’s just move, it’s hot in this damn sun.” 

Willie attempted to lead his horse forward but Wyatt blocked his path. He shook his head and put his hands up on either side of his head, splaying out his fingers. ‘Deer.’ he mouthed. 

“Why are we stopping for deer?” Willie grumbled. 

Gill sighed. “We haven’t had fresh meat in a awhile, I’m tired of jerked beef, we still have three or four days before we reach town and I’m hungry. Is your curiosity satisfied or does Wyatt need to keep practicing his sign language?” 

Jeb grinned when he saw the bright smile light up Wyatt’s face. Willie grumbled and Wyatt burst into silent laughter. Jeb frowned as he looked out at the Mule Deer once again. “I know you’re good with a gun, Gill, but your revolver doesn’t stand a chance at this range and you’ll never sneak up on them without them running off.” 

“Sounds like you lack faith in my abilities,” Gill stated. 

Jeb grinned. “Oh, I know all about your abilities,” he assured him with a wink, causing Gill to quickly look away and begin to pick at the worn leather of his saddle with embarrassment as chuckles filled the air around them. Jeb sidled up closer to Gill and nudged him with his elbow. “But even with your talent, I don’t see you hitting a deer from this different.” 

Gill looked up and met his gaze. “I never said I was going to shoot it.” Gill turned in the saddle and waved Pete over. “Time for you to show what you can do with that rifle of yours.” 

Pete pulled the gun from the scabbard and grinned. “I’d hate to make everyone else here feel bad about themselves, Gill. I’m much better with my weapon than the other men.” 

Laughter erupted around them, from everyone except Willie, who grumbled per usual, Gill who glared at his friend and Jeb who knew better than to laugh because it would earn him a scolding from Gill that night and Jeb had better ideas for Gill’s mouth. Gill still wasn’t all that comfortable with talking about anything he considered to be private business, such as what went on between two people in a tent at night…..He was a prude really. Jeb grinned at his musings. 

“Just get a damn deer so we can have some fresh meat,” Gill urged.

Craig nodded. “If I have to eat one more bite of Billy’s runny beans I’m gonna lose my stomach.” 

“Well when the bastard misses with that rifle and scares off everything within twenty miles don’t you come groveling to me for a bowl of beans tonight,” Billy snapped, scratching at the worn knee of his trousers. 

“Don’t worry, lady and gents,” Pete winked at Jane. “If it’s meat Gill is asking me for, it’s meat he shall receive.” 

Gill shook his head as Pete slid off his horse and held the rifle in his hands. “You folks just sit tight and let me show you how it’s done.” 

Jeb watched Pete slip forward and stay low as he walked about twenty yards ahead and dropped to his knees, using a boulder as a rest for his Sharps rifle. 

“Can he really hit one of those from this distance?” Jeb asked Gill doubtfully. 

Gill nodded. “He’s not much good in a fight and he’s no gunslinger but he can flat out shoot that rifle.” 

“He’s told me stories,” Jane agreed, pulling off her small sombrero and fanning herself with it in an attempt to beat the overbearing summer heat. “We’ll have some deer to eat with papa’s runny beans tonight.” 

Billy snorted. “Y’all can kiss my old, grizzled ass. I’ll keep my beans to myself and you can have your deer.” 

Craig grinned. “Uncle Billy, I do believe that’s the nicest thing you’ve ever done for us.” 

“Shut the hell up, you ungrateful addle-brained…” 

“Can y’all keep it down back there?” Pete hissed as he turned his head and winked. “You’re drowning out my greatness.” 

Jeb motioned for everyone be quiet and he focused his attention on Pete. The man seemed to making a big show of licking his finger and testing the wind and Jeb saw Gill pinching his nose and shaking his head. 

The mule deer in the distance were barely more than specks and Jeb had his doubts about Pete’s ability to kill one…. Those doubts were quickly proved unfounded when a rifle shot echoed in the early afternoon air and, off in the distance, one of the grazing mule deer leapt into the air before falling dead to the ground as his companions ran into the distance and out of sight. 

“And you doubted my man,” Jane winked at Jeb. 

Jeb glanced around and saw a patch of trees and grasses in the distance that seemed greener than the rest. It was only a little after noon, they could still cover quite a bit of ground and it wasn’t in his nature to allow downtime while working….Then had looked at Gill and Craig laughing together over something and he sighed. 

It seemed the gang was finally beginning to accept Gill and Pete once again and Jeb didn’t want to hinder that by traveling too hard and fraying nerves with exhaustion. Add to that the fresh meat that would need to be cut up and prepared ad Jeb decided it would be good to call it a day. 

“We’ll set up camp by those trees,” Jeb stated with a tilt of his head. “Willie, Wyatt, go get that deer and join us.” 

“Bit early to make camp, don’t you think?” Craig questioned as they rode toward the spot Jeb had indicated. 

Jeb shrugged. “Might as well rest up a bit.” 

Craig stared at him as if he’d grown a second head. “Really?” 

“Really,” Jeb agreed. “Or would you rather keep going?” 

Craig quickly raised his hand. “No, that’s okay. We can stop… it just isn’t like you take it easy when we’re supposed to be working.” Craig’s eyes went back to Gill and a smile was on his face when he looked back at his brother. “Love is good for you, big brother.” 

With that, Craig laughed and urged his horse into a gallop, and much to Jeb’s surprise Gill, Pete and Jane followed suit and the four of them began a race to their newfound camp. Jeb watched them go and wondered at what his brother had said….

Was Gill changing him and was it love?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.9K 1.1K 43
A forbidden love story is easy to guess the ending of, spoiler alert....not a happy one. Which is why when my ex bodyguard shows up five years after...
371K 15.9K 38
**Be aware that this is a manXman story so if that bothers you then please don't read! 5th in Breaking Series. There are certain things that make a...
106K 7.6K 55
Growing up in chaos isn't simple for all. Not many could cope. They would struggle and kick, but ultimately drown. However, for Dakota, that was his...
484K 27.6K 33
*manxman* Third installment in 'The Crane Gang' series! Craig left his family in an attempt to figure out who he was now that the life he'd lived fo...