This Heart of Mine

By thatIndiangalwriter

Naina Reddy just wants to be comfortable with her life. While being an event planner is stressful, she enjoys... More

Ch. 1: The Cliched Beginning
Ch. 2: More Headaches
Ch. 3: The Gleam in Your Eye
Ch. 4: Bite of Tiramisu
Ch. 5: Black Eyed Indian
Ch. 6: Chilis In Her Cheeks
Ch. 7: The Set Up
Ch. 8: Heart Stopping News
Ch. 9: The Other Side of You
Ch. 10: Wedding Chaos
Ch. 11: Brewing Storm
Ch. 12: Secrets Galore
Ch. 13: All Is Well
Ch. 14: Meet The Parent
Ch. 15: Eye Of The Storm
Ch. 16: Buffering Storm
Ch. 17: Of Roses and Sweaty Men
Ch. 18: The Confession
Ch. 19: Eight Pups Oh My!
Ch. 20: The Dream
Ch. 21: Meet the Doc
Ch. 22: Opening Day
Ch. 23: The Karen of All Karens
Ch. 24: Prequel to the Drunk
Ch. 25: Drunken Ramblings
Ch. 26: A Kiss, A Memory and A Doughnut
Ch. 27: Another Piece of the Puzzle
Ch. 28: Ice Queen Gone Missing
Ch. 29: More Questions
Ch. 30: Et Tu, Karen?
Ch. 31: The Home Date
Ch. 32: Lost Heartbeat
Ch. 33: Missing You
Ch. 34: Revelation
Ch. 35: Unraveling, Part 1
Ch. 36: The Unraveling, Finale
Ch. 37: Wrong Ending
Epilogue: Test Results
Author's Note

Ch. 38: Sealed With A Kiss

4.5K 277 91
By thatIndiangalwriter

Ian's mouth dropped when Naina told him what'd happened and showed him the check.

"She's moving? Why? When she'd done nothing wrong?" he asked.

She shrugged. The moment she left Deme's place, she headed over to Ian's. He didn't ask her why she'd come.

But that might've been because she'd been sobbing ugly tears. A big, nasty splotch covered the side of his shirt where her head was nestled. Her nose felt like a used, forgotten rag.

Naina blubbered, struggling to fight the marble in her throat as she croaked, "I-I fe-feel like it's m-my fault, even though—"

"It's not," he finished.

They laid against the sofa, with her head on her favorite spot of his chest, where his heart beat through the soft fabric of his shirt. Every now and then, he'd rub her back and scratch a spot here and there.

"I know it's not," she grumbled. "But my heart hurts like someone's stabbed it a million times and like, why does that have to be the only option for her? It's Lauren and Ollie that're supposed to apologize, not her."

"She's an adult woman and she knows what she wants. For her, this might be the best choice, starting off at a new place, and purge any shitty memories she has. She's feeling just as guilty as you are right now babe." He kissed the top of her head and nuzzled it a little.

A minor tickle erupted from the spot he'd pecked, and she wiggled around a bit. "Why do you always have the right answer?"

He laughed. "Maybe cause I've seen too many stupid things in my life. But it's not going to do you any good to feel guilty. She's moving away and made up her mind. You've got to learn to let things go."

Ergh. He'd hit all the points. "Yeah...that's true."

"Especially when nothing's your fault. You didn't pick a fight with anyone. Sometimes, things just happen out of your control and hurt you, like they did."

He sighed and continued. "I'm sorry that she's moving though. She was a pretty chill lady."

She had to be if she was dealing with Lauren.

The sadness seeped out of Naina's heart and disappeared into the floor below. Her body finally relaxed into his and she let out the sigh that'd fogged up her lungs.

It is what it is.

Gigi didn't contact her after that night. Naina visited town more often and heard from Deme that people were talking about seeing Gigi that night.

About the last time they'd seen her.

Almost everyone had heard about the wedding incident and the outburst at the meeting with the lawyers. Ollie went from being a respected member of the community to a social pariah. Several businesses refused to do business with her, and many people visibly avoided her when she walked into the town square. Rumor had it that she'd be leaving town soon too.

Lauren hadn't changed at all. She was still surrounded by people who validated her Queen B attitude, like Carmella. She also seemed to be very embarrassed when Naina brought up Queenie and how she'd suddenly turned up at the clinic.

Naina was happy to know Lauren didn't want anything to do with the cat, who didn't seem to miss her former owner.

Carmella hadn't given up her multi-level market makeup scheme. Even now, she resorted to accosting people at the grocery store and on social media to sell it. She also still used it, caking it on and frosting her face with foundation and powder.

Only Dominic, who'd actively ignored and probably hated Naina at one point, came to her and apologized for his behavior. Ian had set up the meeting with her permission.

Dominic's eyes were bloodshot red. It was odd, seeing someone with sky-blue eyes have such a stark contrast. His hands kept twitching.

"Lauren and I are splitting up," he croaked. "She somehow managed to blame it on me and make it my fault, even though I'd always—"

He broke it off, and Ian awkwardly patted his brothers back, while raising an eyebrow at Naina, as if to say, 'Didn't you see that coming?'

She sharply shook her head at him and listened to Dominic talk from where his head rested in his hands.

"Nothing I ever did was right. I should've known, and I still feel like an ass, Naina. I'm so sorry for treating you that way and allowing them to do the same." Nic sat up, swallowed again and cleared his throat. "I mean, it was all there. How needy she was, how fast everything was going..."

The divorce would happen in a few weeks. Until then, they were sorting out who got what. Nic would be moving out; he'd already found an apartment near the café, which was thriving due to the late-night college students that frequented it.

Hopefully, he'd be able to move on peacefully.

The fall colors had finally bloomed as trees shed their dead leaves, preparing for the winter months ahead. A chill lingered in the air, tickling an unsuspecting nose or neck.

But one morning, she found herself digging through the suitcases that held all her Indian dressed. MJ had told her it'd be casual but that if Naina wanted to wear something nice, she could.

As long as it wasn't white.

There were several maroon ones she'd managed to get good deals on, a pretty sunset pink salwar kameez and a regular, evergreen, north Indian style outfit with a thin scarf.

The salwar kameez had puffy legs and a cute top designed with jasmine flowers in blue. It'd work well for the reception.

Ian showed up at the clinic in a well-fitting white shirt and black slacks. When he saw her his mouth dropped open and he blinked a few times.

"Does it look alright?" she mumbled. The butt area was a little tight, but she'd be able to sit.

"No, it looks gorgeous, do you even need to ask?" His eyes roamed every inch of her, from her hair to the shoes she wore. "Why didn't you wear something like this to the opening ceremony? Not that that dress didn't look hot on you."

A waggle of his eyebrows sent her lady parts tingling, and those damn sleeves were rolled up perfectly...she groaned internally. "I mean, this is the U.S. I wasn't sure if it'd look alright."

"Of course it would."

He still had a delightful look in his eyes, that set aflame her cheeks every time she'd glance at him. She couldn't help watching him; his hair was gelled back in a sexy way that begged her to mess it up, and his beard, freshly trimmed, only added points to his handsomeness.

MJ gave her a hug when she walked into the venue. They'd set up a number of tables in the backyard and decorated the poles surrounding the dance floor with silk sheets and fairy lights.

The bride herself looked gorgeous in a pale purple evening gown with off-the-shoulder sleeves and perfectly done make-up and hair done in an intricate plait. Small crystal beads twinkled in the fiery red updo, matching the lights surrounding the floor.

They'd literally walked into a magical forest. In the beautiful fall sunset, the dance floor glowed a warm orange.

Naina introduced herself to MJ's family, as well as the groom, Brody.

She'd followed Naina's advice completely. Naina recognized the signs of a local restaurant that specialized in Mediterranean cuisine, a massive cupcake tower and a bartender mixing drinks from the bottles that surrounded her.

"My sister's friend offered to bartend for us for a discount! You saved us so much!" MJ squeezed Naina's hand. "Go grab something to eat and drink. We've got to dance at least once. I'm not letting you leave until you and I dance."

MJ hopped off to Brody and hugged him. Brody, in return, beamed at MJ, staring at her like she was the best thing in the world.

Naina filled her plate with roasted veggies and chicken, pita and hummus and some other vegetarian dishes that she didn't know the name for.

She asked for a soda.

"Oh, you're not getting drunk this time? I thought you would, with the free booze." The whisper was low, and slightly guttural and her spine tense up, as if getting ready for fight.

Ian had a shit-eating grin on his face, and Naina rolled her eyes. "No," she denied. "Not this time. And that was only once."

The bartender gave her a smirk that was all too knowing and handed her a can of soda.

When they'd finally sat down, next to an old lady that was snoozing away at one of the back tables, Naina said, "You're such an ass sometimes. Reminding me about bad memories"

"Me? I was just pointing something out. Besides, that was an awesome memory for me." He wagged his eyebrows.

"Yeah right." Naina shook her head and stuffed her face with the mini gyro she'd made. The roasted meat, tahini sauce and charred veggies wrapped up in fluffy pita bread made her knees go weak.

"Like I want to remember that episode." She still couldn't forgive herself completely for sniffing him and faceplanting into his chest.

"It was really cute, honestly." He gobbled up some hummus and spit-roasted chicken. "I mean, you don't really take the initiative with those kinds of things. I was happy that you did that."

He then nudged her with his elbow, right under her rib, and leaned in to where his lips were about a centimeter away from her ear. "You can do other things too you know," he rumbled, almost growling with his deep, accented voice.

A vague memory of her imagining him with handcuffs, a blindfold and doing something that involved whipped cream crackled through her brain. Naina pinched the hand that'd slipped onto her thigh. "Pervert," she whispered back.

"I am not. And what were you thinking?" he mumbled. One raised eyebrow of his and a mini storm brewed thundered in her chest.

"Nothing I'll tell you right now."

She'd have to research into the local adult toy stores.

The old lady they were sitting nearby gave a snort and thumbs up. "Cute."

She then got up and hobbled away, leaving Naina wondering why she'd pretended to sleep. Ian didn't offer any explanation; his face had turned as red as the bell peppers he munched on.

MJ and Naina danced on the floor to several popular rock songs, almost waltzing around kids, several drunk uncles turning up with their wives and Brody busting moves with his buddies.

When she was finally handed off to Ian, the music changed to a slow ballad and they walked around the dance floor. His left hand rested on her waist and the right one held her own as they twirled around. With every turn they made, his cologne wafted over her.

He grimaced. "I've got Ian Jr. in my belly right now. Feels like a freaking rock."

His abdomen did look a little stretched. She snorted. "Serves you right."

"I'm going to make you regret those words, Naina."

"Who? You and your food baby?"

He pulled her close, hugging her as the ballad came to an end and switched to a romantic croon. "Maybe."

A stabbing pain in her ankle erupted, sparking across the bottom of her foot. She hopped over to a table and checked her feet.

There was an ugly red mark where the heel strap met her ankle and Ian inspected the wound before looking up at her and shaking his head. "Why can't you ever pick good shoes?" he griped.

"I can! It's the assholes who keep advertising the wrong size." Nothing had been wrong with the shoe initially.

He walked away, asked the catering company a question and returned with a bag. Ian then grabbed her shoes and threw them in.

Naina managed to hobble over where MJ stood and congratulated Brody and her on their marriage.

But the walk from the backyard to Ian's car would be long.

So Naina piggy-backed him.

"You know, I half wanted to do this the first time you had that shoe issue," he muttered.

The sun had completely set by now, and the night sky shone midnight blue with gem-like stars winking here and there. Wispy clouds accented the perfect look.

His back felt warm and comforting.

But Naina's face felt hot, like someone had stuck a heat pack to it. "Why didn't you offer? I might've done it."

"No you wouldn't. You looked so scared...but then again, we didn't know each other at all." He shrugged, pushing her up a little.

"And now we do." Naina kissed the back of his head.

He set her down on the trunk of the car and rested both hands against the car, so that he was leaned into her. "Ever thought about getting married?"

"Are you proposing right now?" When she had a sore chest and ankles? Other parts were sore but he'd take care of that later.

"No, it's more like a hypothetical question." He smiled shyly, like he was trying to hide his embarrassment but couldn't. Where his fingers rested, they rapped against the metal of the vehicle.

"Yes, but not yet...you know, since this is a purely hypothetical question."

"Of course." Those beautiful hazel eyes crinkled slightly as his smile became bigger.

"And, maybe in a year, you know after living with each other and making sure you're alright with my gross side, maybe I'll get married. Again, hypothetically."

His smile twitched and slowly spread across wider. "Yeah?"

She continued quickly before she started giggling; his excited attitude had embraced her. The soreness in her chest washed away as if was replaced with a happy balloon. "But we're not having a big wedding. Just something small...hypothetically. Burrito and Queenie can be our ring bearers. I, for one, do not want to have to deal with the craziness that is the bridal industry. So, one year from now, ask me that again."

He sealed that promise with a kiss.

~~~

Sorry that it was long. But that's it for the main story! I'll add a cute epilogue when I get done with it. An author's note with be coming up with thanks for everyone.

Merry Christmas! I really didn't plan for the last chapter to be put out today! Hope all you are safe, healthy and having a wonderful holiday, if you celebrate it. :)

Please let me know what you think about the last chapter! And please hit that star nearby if you liked reading this XD

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

856 26 34
Hi, I am Naina! I got a boyfriend and I never felt mesmerized until I met his sister. Naina's encounter with her boyfriend's sister triggers a wave o...
301K 12.6K 25
A marriage with no love. Will it do or divorce? Two people are bound into a relationship where Raghav knows he has to be married someday and doesn't...
14.9K 1.8K 43
[COMPLETED] ➠ SHORT LISTED UNDER "MATTERS OF HEART" CATEGORY FOR WATTPAD INDIA AWARDS 2021!!! NOW A FEATURED BOOK ➠ 【SDAW is currently featured on w...
1M 35.7K 23
Baking blogger, Madison Blake, is over the moon that her big sister is getting married. Celebratory drinks are had and some dancing is done to honour...