ᴅᴇᴇᴘᴇʀ

By sawvvy

❝She was like a perfect paradise, tearing at its seam.❞ To everyone, Chimdi Gentry lived the perfect life wit... More

Preface
Character Aesthetics
Prologue
Interlude
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
Interlude
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
Interlude
53
54
55
Interlude
Epilogue
Sufface

43

529 244 77
By sawvvy

Anytime I run into
Someone,
It must be a victory lap...

__

"Thanks for helping me out." Chimdi whispered once they were settled in their seats.

A stand-up comedian had everyone wrapped around his fingers, as he made them crack up in fits. Distracting the audience from the tension filled atmosphere, but Chimdi wasn't interested. The silver haired girl and her icy glares were to be thanked for that.

The lean model casted her a friendly smile. "That wasn't help. I'll do same for anyone." His forehead creased with concern. "What's her deal though? She's got so much animosity aimed your way."

Chimdi's body tensed up in seconds. She'd never been one to pour out her feelings to a total stranger, especially one she just met not less than three hours ago. The only people who had managed to see her at her worse, were the ones who inflicted the pain, her one-time shrink and then, there was TJ -- who came in, flipping her heart and world without permission.

The boy sitting before her, with his unique and enchanting features might be just like the rest of the men she dared not to trust -- disgusting males of prey. She'd thanked him for being kind enough and that would be the end of their bonding section.

"I know that look." He dropped, before she could utter another word to him.

Confused, she stared. "Huh?"

"You've got that trust issue look hanging over like a tag." His laugh came out light and friendly. Quite the opposite of the unnerving girl she'd been with minutes ago. "My girlfriend wears hers like a crown too."

Girlfriend?

She didn't know if she should be terrified or relieved at the revelation. She internally shook her head. Either way, none guaranteed her safety and sanity.

"I think you should stay away from me." She blurted out, watching the amused expression on his face morph into a confused one.

"Umm... Why should I?"

Chimdi exhaled. How would she explain something he already knew.

"I don't think your girlfriend will appreciate us talking like buddies, I'm sure one of the numerous cameras here might spot us. Honestly, I don't want to trend falsely again -- for the second time." Her little speech was awarded with a very amused, deep male laughter.

She stared at him, searched for her brain if she made a funny joke or something.

"I don't think I find whatever I just said very amusing, Mister." She scolded, frowning.

"You are one amusing kid, aren't you?" He shook his head, his eyes glinting with tears of amusement. He sobered up when he saw the stoic look on her face. "What makes you think I believe all those crap the press has been spouting?"

She shrugged. "Everyone believes the net these days. It's like the new law or something."

The lean model shook his head, amusement still lurking in his dark orbs. "Everyone is entitled to choose whatever it is they want to believe. I as a rational human, choose my sources before digesting any info. Hell, even Ada who's a little extra doesn't believe that crap."

The revelation had Chimdi sighing out in relief. She was glad that there was still a little sanity remaining on Earth.

"Who's Ada?" She asked instead.

"My girlfriend. I think you might know her though. She's a crazy fan of yours. She's worked with your boyfriend a dozen times though, actually -- they're still working together."

The skinny girl stared at him like he'd lost a few missing brain screws. "Boyfriend? Who's my boyfriend?"

The lean model stared back with utter confusion. "Jiki Sheikh. The frisbee dude? If I'm not mistaken."

It was Chimdi's turn to laugh out loud this time. She'd heard there were several rumours circling around, about she and her best friend. But she'd never been hit straight in the face with the assumption before. Never.

"I think I'm mistaken." Omoshola said, the little crease lines back on his forehead again.

"Yes. You're very much mistaken my dear." Chimdi replied, laughter still bubbling deep.

"Wow, I've always thought that you two were together. It's been going on for years though --the assumption." He confessed, feeling a little embarrassed.

"No, nothing of that sort has or is about to happen. Jiki is my best friend and that's all." She corrected, when she sobered up.

The lean model nodded, before laughing. "I guess my sources were wrong this time."

"Definitely," she agreed, but added cheekily. "But not the first time though."

"Totally. I guess Ada's ship won't set sail then, she's been quite the shipper."

She laughed. "That bad huh?"

"You have no idea. She thinks you two are low key to avoid the press and their wahala."

She paused, dug into the archives of her memory for few good seconds, she found what she sought. "Wait a minute. Do you you mean Ada -- as in the Adaeze Kings of Frisbee?"

Omoshola's eyes shun with pride as he nodded. "The one and only Lulu. It's a relief you know her. She'll go bat shit cray if she were here to see you talk about her."

"Of course I remember her," she continued, images in her head filling with the young, vibrant and talented teen actress. "I've met her once or twice, but we never got to talk."

"She's dying to meet you though, one on one." Omoshola added.

"Really? I'd love to meet her too. She seems like a real cool person."

Omoshola's grin illuminated the small space. "Then that can be arranged. She's celebrating her 17th birthday next week and don't give me that look," he playfully scolded, when he saw uncertainty cloud her features. "It's a private beach party. A lil something for friends. You can invite your friends too. The more the merrier!"

Chimdi nodded, offering a small smile. A little fun won't hurt.

The crowd went crazy when a new artiste came up on stage. Chimdi counted the minutes to the announcement of her next category. Omoshola had managed to keep her mind off the event for a while. To her surprise, they'd passed the awkward phase that came with strangers meeting for the first time. A phase that she'd always been stuck in with strangers, limiting her from having a smooth conversation.

She stole a glance at the boy sitting next to her. His presence oozing intellectual cool, calm and friendliness that was quite rare these days, if she were asked. She'd never gone that long when it came to conversing with strangers, never let herself get sucked into a conversation so smooth, that she'd forgotten about the problem at hand. He'd even cleared the trace of the Nebula girl from her mind.

"You're nervous aren't you?" He cut her thoughts short.

There he went again, reading her like a book and making her realize that none of his actions had led her into tagging him a creep or stalker. Talking to him felt like reconnecting with a long, lost sibling.

"Yeah," she concurred. "I'm dead with nerves at the moment. Do you see the class of people I got nominated along with? The first award was just less competitive and sort of my right category. I missed the second and now, I don't think the third will ever peak a glance my way."

"What sort of people were nominated for this category? They're no different from the average human. What you guys have in common was what led to being nominated together." He tried to reassure.

But as the skinny girl stated, she was dead with nerves. "Yeah I know we might have a thing or two in common in the industry. But c'mon this is the whole of Africa we are talking about. The Egyptians, the Kenyans... This category is one hard nut to crack." She let out a shaky breath, her heartbeat going haywire with nerves.

His chuckle came out light and friendly as usual. "Okay I get it. This category might be a little competitive, it still doesn't mean you don't stand a chance. Aren't you molded and carved from the Nigerian soul? Your confidence should be over the place, you're a giant. Egypt, Libya, south Africa and the rest of them have nothing on you!"

Chimdi snorted, but laughed nonetheless. He was trying to make her feel better, but still, it wasn't enough -- wasn't helping.

"Okay how about we just damn the whole thought for a while. We should talk about another thing entirely, it might help sooth your nerves." He suggested, after sensing that his speech wasn't helping at all.

"Umm, that might help." Her voice came out uncertain.

"Not might, it will. And hey, we skipped the introductory rite when we first met. Why don't we retrace our steps and start all over." He stretched out his hand for a handshake. "Hey there, I'm Omoshola Akide -- handsome, 19 and shitty at being an adult. Have we met?"

Her grin was wider than normal as she played along, taking his hand into hers. "Hi I'm Chimdi Gentry, 16 and a total worrywart atimes."

"16? Ah, na una still dey enjoy life na!"

The skinny girl let out a snort. "Enjoy what? You guys are the ones milking all life has to offer."

"What's so enjoyable about being a second year student drowning in projects enough to last him a lifetime, when they're due in one week?"

She shrugged. "Set aside assignments, life's all about a little pain here and there. Y'all have parties, fun of a lifetime. You don't get to be totally controlled by your parents. That's what life should be and you're living it to the fullest."

It was Omoshola's turn to snort, an eyeroll finding it's way out. "Trust me, adulthood is a total scam. You see the fun picture that has been painted, the parte -- the booze, the girls, fun, no stress shit? It's all a bloody lie. They fucking lied to us-- all of us. Instead we got the pressure, the responsibility and panic of growing older. Have you ever wondered why Squidward was always grumpy?"

Her face scrunched up with confusion. "Squidward?"

"Yeah, SpongeBob's Squidward," he continued. "Cos dude was frustrated. Being an adult comes with a bucket full of responsibilities that could drive you berserk. So you gotta be grateful you still have the attention from parentals and your sanity to keep."

How I wish...

"Wow, that was deep. You know, you actually planted a few seeds of fear into me right?" She teased, leaning back on the super comfortable velvet seat.

He shrugged, a sheepish and apologetic grin on his face. "Sorry, someone's gotta tell you the truth."

The skinny girl nodded. "Yeah, it's necessary though. So, second year student and hating it..." She began. "What's your major?"

"Radiography."

Chimdi let out a playful whistle. "I smell the nerd vibe around."

"Yeah," he faked a whisper. "Don't tell anyone. I don't wanna ruin my cool kid reputation."

Chimdi grinned, before miming a ziploc. "Your secret is safe with me."

"That's quite a relief," his friendly laugh was out. "So, what's your plan for the erudite world after high school? Unilag or one of your numerous choices?"

"I don't know yet. Honestly, I've not even chosen a line of profession."

He stared at her in utter disbelief. "That's new. Aren't you like in SS3?"

She nodded. "So? I'm undecided at the moment."

"Doesn't your school have the G&C professionals or what? They are meant to guide you guys to the right track."

She shrugged. "They go straight to our parents instead and we go to them if we need their help. I've not seen a reason to seek for their help."

He sighed. "Wow, that's still new. Anyway, you really don't know the next step to take? Wait a minute, I don't think that's necessary for you. You actually have almost everything you need in this country. Education is a big scam in this country."

They both laughed.

"I know right. Still, it's necessary to have good qualifications. This country is hella unpredictable." She added, getting a concurring nod from him.

"The country is unpredictable yes, but for people like you, you can go study anything and no one will give two fucks. You're already a made kid."

She snorted out her disagreement, but smiled nonetheless.

Their attention was captured when the little break was over and the announcer took the center stage. Chimdi could feel her heart thundering like a brewing storm was approaching trying to be ripped out of her ribcage. She felt Omoshola's assuring hand on hers and for once, she didn't feel anything -- just a friendly warmth that came with skin to skin contact.

"Please welcome award winning model and enterprenuer, Monalisa Kazie to present the award for Africa's next top model of the year." The brilliantly dressed announcer said into the microphone.

Monalisa Kazie took the center stage as a round of applause ushered her in. Standing before the loud microphone, which Chimdi didn't know which one was louder -- her heart or the device. The jaw dropping, gorgeous model held out an envelope as she called out the nominees in the category.

Chimdi's heart knew no peace, her nerves and the hairs on her skin stood in attention, waiting for the bomb to be dropped.

"Jeez, you look like you've seen a ghost. Have a lil faith, will you." Omoshola tried to help out, but his words all went to the air.

It all happened a little too slow -- Chimdi sat, numb and a nervous wreck, as she watched the Model's red coated lips announce the reason for gathering. She heard nothing -- felt nothing, only the aim of a bright strobe light blinding her, and a light nudge.

"C'mon kid, the floor is yours. Go for it!" Omoshola's grin-stretched face, snapped her out of it.

"Huh?"

"Get your ass up there! You fucking did it. I guess we're avoiding untimely stroke," he teased staring at her wide-eyed stare. "Or are we?"

Chimdi's joy knew no bound. She walked up the stage after Omoshola practically dragged her up. Loud screams filled the air as she took center stage for the second time tonight. It was finally here, the moment she was waiting for -- all the minutes spent making up the perfect speech, trying out the perfect outfit, contracting the country's best makeup artiste, and most especially, the bittersweet experience that came with her job,ziploc were certainly not going to waste.

She stood in front of the fixed microphone, wearing a big smile as she took in happy faces of well wishers.

"I'm still in awe!" She breathed out, when words were finally out. "I'd love to thank everyone who's been with me since I walked into this world of glitz and glamour, Mum -- Aunt..." Chimdi paused. She wasn't going to spend one of the best days of her life spouting lies to the universe.

She took in a deep, calm breath. Here goes nothing.

"Everything I am today, the strength that has kept me going through the worst days, and bittersweet experiences," she averted her eyes when her Mother sent a glare her way.

No mum, not today.

"The ones who'd helped me keep my sanity and strength, giving me a reason to fight on. My goldworth friends, the best company every human needs. To Jiki, TJ, Neneoma -- Elochukwu, Omolara and even Omoshola. Thanks for being there when I needed you guys the most. Y'all have given a new meaning to family." She raised high the gold statue.

"To the best fans one could ever ask for, the ones who found me worthy -- this is because of you and this is for you. Thank you!"

She got ushered out with another round of applause as she waved, fighting the urge to stop the tears from breaking free. This time, when a joyfully weeping Antni gathered her into a warm embrace, she didn't back out. She hugged back, wishing she was in the arms of her friends instead.

Somewhere among the hyped up crowd, Ginika Gentry beamed with the most victorious of smiles. To her she'd become a dozen times richer and to Chimdi, all the years of pain and suffering were slowly coming to an end.

__

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

178K 34.5K 50
****A Wattpad Featured Novel**** • • • (Book one) Many of us, have read lots of books and watched lots of movies, abo...
121K 25.1K 37
A Nigerian Teen-Fiction. Zaria Coker had every reason to be called perfect; Straight As, awesome friends, and a face that can make anyone bend to her...
6K 1.8K 29
Ewww!" He spat. "Me? Like you? I'd rather date a horse than date an ugly thing like you!" He seethed before forcefully pushing her on the floor, she...
16.6K 2.2K 43
Ruby just started at her new school and trips into a complicated life, involving her best friend's boyfriend, Matthew. And God, did she try to keep a...