Dark Hour

By blueyatogod

Ares lives on the coast waiting for something to happen as nightmares haunt her night and day. Then, when an... More

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 14
Part 15
Part 16
Period, Like Full Stop

Part 5

17 0 0
By blueyatogod

I spun around, spraying sand in my wake. I saw the path and started to make way for it but a hand suddenly latched onto my wrist. I felt myself being dragged against something warm and soft and I tried to look up but a familiar voice whispered in my ear. "Close your eyes."

And I immediately knew it was Apollo. I trusted him enough to shut my eyes and the moment I did a sudden wave of dizziness pounded my skull and the last thing I saw was Apollo's brown eyes watching me as he placed me on a feather down bed. . .

My eyes flew open. I looked around at the scenery, I was in the middle of a rose gold bed with and ivory coloured silk draped over the top of it. I sat up and blew out a breath, I guessed that this was Apollo's house, all fancy and shiny. I didn't really expect this, but, in a sense I was okay with this form of money, it just seemed so like Apollo even though I barely knew anything about him. I got up and stared at the ceiling in wonder, there was drawings in silver on the glass roof. I couldn't see what the drawing was from here but I tried to remember to ask Apollo about it.

As I walked out onto the balcony , I stared in shock. I was looking over something that shouldn't exist. There were trees with silver and golden leaves, that couldn't be possible. I squinted past two silver leafed trees and saw the smallest flash of light. I was so entranced by the dazzling beauty of it all that I didn't hear Apollo come up behind me.

"Nice jumpsuit." He said casually.

I jumped in surprise and immediately looked down at my clothes, I inhaled in astonishment. My regular everyday jeans, T-shirt, boots and coat had been swapped for faded blood red (long pants) jumpsuit and a pair of dainty, pink shoes that fit my slim feet perfectly.

"Did, did you change my," I gulped. "My clothes?" I asked with horror.

Apollo chuckled. "Goodness no, I had my dear sister to do it."

I relaxed a little bit, I wasn't comfortable with the fact that my clothes has been changed by a random female, but, I still felt better knowing that it hadn't been Apollo to undress me and then redress me.

I decided to change the subject. "What's her name?" Kind of.

"Her name is Hera."

I snorted. "So you both have Greek immortal names, I know that Hera was the wife and sister of Zeus, she was the Goddess of marriage and fertility. . ." I trailed off trying to remember what Apollo was the God of. "I can't remember what Apollo was the God of though, can you tell me?"

Apollo smiled and I took that as a yes. "Apollo stands for music, poetic inspiration, archery, prophecy, medicine, pastoral life, and the Sun."

I nodded and for some reason every time I looked at him after that moment, I looked at Apollo in a different light. In this light, he is lonely and in need of a friend. I felt like I could relate to him on another level completely.

"What does your name mean?" He asked, breaking my thoughts.

"My name, Ares?" I asked with incredulity, he wanted to know what my name meant? How polite. "Well, my name means war, Ares was the son of Zeus of Hera." I thought about my history/Astronomy lesson five years ago. "His name in Roman times was Mars, and is also a Zodiac, Ares the ram." I recalled fervently. My zodiac was Leo, king of all the stars.

Apollo's eyes gleamed. "Very good."

I started, he knew? That was mean. I pouted. What was the point in asking a question that you already know the answer to? I walked back inside and made myself busy with fluffing up the pillows I'd slept on.

"What's wrong, I can tell that something is wrong here. . ." Apollo trailed off as he watched me pull my shoes off and sit cross legged in the middle of the bed. I looked at him, seconds away from crying.

"Why?" I asked, my voice breaking. "What have I done to deserve this?" I didn't expect him to understand. He didn't seem to have any major parental figures. Although maybe he was an orphan too. Maybe, we had more in common than I thought.

Apollo's features melted into concern and he flitted to my side. He stared at me with his hypnotising brown eyes and waited for me to cry. I wrapped my arms around him, not caring if I got his expensive looking shirt wet. Apollo rubbed my back until I'd stopped. I leaned back from him and realised that I probably looked a mess.

"I'm sorry." I whispered. "I don't know what came over me?" The uncertainty in my voice made it a question.

"Stress?" He asked quietly.

I shrugged. "I just haven't done anything with anyone since I found out I was an orphan four years ago."

Apollo looked at me sadly. "You haven't had any friends because you didn't have any parents?" He asked softly.

I looked at my hands and felt tears dribble down my face. My wet lashes brushed my cheek bones and I looked up at him through them. I saw him look away, his eyes shut.

"That's not why I've never interacted with anyone." I muttered.

He looked up, his eyes bright. "Then why?"

I looked at him, the tension between us was flawed.

"Because, for some reason, everything seems to remind me of them. I always get nightmares of water, but, the raging ocean calms me. . ."

Apollo looked up at the glass-art ceiling. "So what was your reaction to calm water?"

I shuddered, the dream I'd had so many nights ago was suddenly there, in the middle of my mind. I remembered the deadly still water, waiting for me to make just one move, and then be in its depths.

"Ares?" Apollo's anxious voice made me jump in surprise and I looked over at him. Apollo had a goofy sort of face that had me extremely perplexed.

"Do you want to go somewhere?"

I leaned forward. "What kind of somewhere?"

He smiled and wrapped his arms around me. I shivered, surprised by how warm he was. But he's human, isn't he? I thought.

"Are you ready?" Apollo whispered, his arms tightening their hold, making me feel a lot safer than I should've felt around a boy I barely knew.

"I'm ready." I whispered.

I shut my eyes as a sudden gust of wind blew over my face and I felt it to be cold, colder than I'd ever felt before. I leaned into Apollo's arms just be sure that he was still there, he was. I squeezed my eyes shut and I got small stabs of pain all throughout the back of my head. I opened my mouth to scream but couldn't, the wind was too strong.

Then, all of a sudden, it stopped, the wind just died down and I opened my eyes, blinking numerous times. Where was I? I looked around and gasped in delight, right in front of me was a waterfall, several metres high that spilled out in front of me in a rippling pool. I could see the bottom of the pool, the pure white sand mixed with the aquamarine blue was penetrating to the eye.

"Where are we?" I breathed, looking up into Apollo's luminous eyes. I watched him sit down on a large boulder and throw skipping stones across the shimmering water. As I watched him, I came to a theory that I would remember forever;

if you looked past his bewitching beauty, underneath was a lonely boy, with no friends, one distant sister and no parents.

Just like me.

I scooted next to him and leaned against his shoulder, both of us admiring the heavenly scene. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

269K 3.5K 50
Whatever it is, he's seen it all. From son to warrior, to lover, and the following fall, he's experienced it all. It doesn't get much worse than the...
1K 108 38
Chase was always a special teen, overly rich, attractive, and very popular. But that all changed on his seventeenth birthday. With the recent death o...
726 10 8
A Nico di Angelo x Will Solace fanfic. Set after "The Blood of Olympus" and before the Trials of Apollo. Enjoying the bubbling of a new relationshi...
28 0 28
Lyric Green's life is filled with drama and chaos,his father is abusive and his mother neglects him but when Lyric Green turns 13, his life changed...