Fresh Blood (Code Vein Male R...

By OldReliable_Markuss

It seems everyone everywhere is thirsty. So how will our boy (Y/N) survive outside of a shelter with revenant... More

Author's Note
Prologue: Twisted World
Ruined City Underground I
RCU 1.5: Saving Private Oliver
Ruined City Underground II
Ruined City Underground III
Ruined City Underground IV
Finally, a break
Into the City
Impromptu Rescue Mission (2669 words, nice)
Below the Delirious Cocoon...
...and how Alice was saved
It's all Fun and Games
Until Someone Loses their Cool
Family bonds
Down the Rabbit's... Pit?
Hostile Newcomers
To the Rescue... Again
The day of spooks
Execution
Intermission
Inevitability
Architectural Hell
Edge of the Crater
Aurora's Crypt
7 Days
Above the White Caps
Mountaintop Truth (ß)
Mountaintop Truth
Breathless Knight
No Farewells
Back Home, Except...
Not what it seems
Designated Rescue Team
Heart of Gold
SSDD
That one song...

The little sister

1.4K 34 6
By OldReliable_Markuss

She remembers it very well. It was a dark place most of the time, and yet she cowered when light came in. Seeing light in that room meant the doors were open, and it would happen again.

A recurring nightmare, something that wasn't real for her anymore, something she hadn't seen in a very long time.

So why now? Why be haunted with the same darkness and cold of that memory again?

But now was not the time to think about it, because dreams are only that and she was being called out of it. "Wake up" the voice said, as reassuring and familiar as ever.

So she stirs awake, the needs she once let go of resurfacing.

The first thing she sees is light, a lot of sunlight. Avery couldn't fully open her eyes yet, but she was content with squinting for now. She was still in the couch she had fallen asleep on last night, but there was a blanket on top of her she didn't recognize.

Glancing around, she spots a figure facing away from her. Clad in damaged clothes and taller than she remembered, something inside her still gave away who it was.

(Y/N): Wake up already, or the food will get cold.

After so long, she could finally hear him again. No, she had heard him yesterday but now she was listening. She was calm, or as close as she could get to it.

He was still looking at that board without turning back to look at her, but she didn't call out to him.

She was afraid. After yesterday she had developed a fear of rejection, her own brother and possibly the best friend she ever had telling her to leave him alone. It was a ludicrous thought, but fear is often irrational.

Avery takes care when getting up, being as quiet as she can while she prepares her last resort.

Back in the old days whenever she was in doubt her answer would be to cling to her safety net like a child and her teddy bear, so much like yesterday she lunges over the couch at his torso.

But this time her face was met by the palm of his hand not so gently stopping her thanks to her own momentum.

(Y/N): Nice try, but aren't you a bit too old to be doing that still?

Avery: Is that really an argument in this case?!

Avery angrily pushes his hand away from her face, and sees that (Y/N) was smiling, his previous comment becoming clear as a joke. Avery had calmed down a bit after that, focusing more on getting the answers she needed out of him.

Avery: Where have you been all this time?

(Y/N): Outside, trying to not die and find a way home. Would you believe me if I told you that I have been lost for the past years? It was just last week when I found the others and they brought me to this church.

Avery: Wasn't it dangerous outside a shelter? It had to be with all the lost and terrible bloodsuckers that could have found you.

(Y/N): Most days were alright if I was careful, but others... death came really close to me. Guess I got really lucky when the first people I met weren't "terrible bloodsuckers".

And there it was again, Avery was shaking and holding back her tears. There was no way she could hide it from (Y/N) this time, so he pulls her head onto his chest with a hug. She wastes no time in reciprocating and clinging onto his torso as tight as she could.

(Y/N): There, there. It's fine now...

Avery: I'm so glad you're alive. All this time I had hoped, but I had to face reality... to believe you'd never come back.

(Y/N): What is that supposed to mean? I thought I told you to always count on me.

Avery: I guess I shouldn't have doubted if you'd keep your promise. And I guess I have to thank those revenants who saved you.

(Y/N): Now is a good time, since they're all here still.

Avery's head jerks up and scans around for them, and the entire group was at the bar where they could clearly see and hear them. She reviews her position and how she called revenants, right in front of them, and is overtaken by a sense of embarrassment and shame.

Avery: Y-y-you should have told me that earlier!

She stuttered and dug her red face in the blankets, and all the others went from interested in their interaction to laughing warmly.

Avery: That was delicious, thank you very much mister Yakumo.

Yakumo: Yeah, I don't think "mister" is going to fly with me...

Louis: Just appreciate the respect.

It had taken some time to get Avery out of her shame blankie and through breakfast, along with introductions, but now everything was sorted out. Rin was already bombarding Avery and Mia with friendly remarks and conversation, with Alice joining in midway.

The rest of the people were either at the hot springs, with (Y/N) at the bar or by the door ready to go back on an expedition. Through drinks, it didn't take long for the question to come up.

Davis: So, what are you going to do now?

(Y/N): You can see her, she's fine now, or at least much better than when I was with her back then. So I have to keep going.

Louis: Are you sure about that? You can go now that your sister can help you with the rest of your family.

(Y/N): I'm sure. I already told you I can't go back empty handed.

Having another sip, he finishes his first and only drink before putting his glass away. A smile much bigger than usual forms on his face, he looks back at Louis and says as he's getting up and moving to his brand new saber.

(Y/N): Besides, we're so close to the end. It'd be too anticlimactic for me to quit now, wouldn't it?

Avery: You're going out again?

He had barely picked up the sword and Avery had already zeroed in on him.

(Y/N): If I had a dime for every time someone asked me that. Listen Ave...

He turned to her and, much to her annoyance, pat her head like she was a little kid.

(Y/N): I can't let them go on their own, a man's gotta pull his weight.

Avery: But they're super strong and all, they don't even need your help!

(Y/N): Heh. You're right, they really don't.

(Y/N) stops playing with Avery's red hair and turns to the door. He slings his bayonet on his left shoulder and heads on out.

(Y/N): Go home already. You have friends waiting for you, or maybe you didn't make any since we last saw each other.

Avery: Hey! I'll have you know I have tons of friends, even older ones like Alice!

(Y/N): See? You've grown so much already, so give me one more week to wrap this up and when you least expect it I'll be knocking on your door.

Silence would have taken over the church if not for the footsteps, but as usual it doesn't last long at all.

Avery: One week. You know I'll hold you to that!

(Y/N): Yeah yeah, go pester someone else. Also please don't tell them, it's a... surprise?

Avery: That's the best you can come up with? Fine, it's our secret.

(Y/N): Thanks. Now head on back and stay safe, big brother has some work to do.

And just like that he dissipated into mist with the others, to places unknown to the public.

Alice: Time to go back to the shelter. Don't worry about him too much, he's safe with the others.

Avery: Right.

Author's notes

Another one done, it took a bit longer and it was just filler so I apologize for that.

Next time we're back in the cathedral, creeping closer and closer to the first big cheese of the game. Only one or two chapters left for this area.

Time to farm more on gacha games because events are coming soon, and I'm definitely not ready!

Peace

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

183K 6K 24
With everyone they care about dead, Clement and (y/n) now have to be on their own and face many dangers along the way as they meet up with a new grou...
64 10 11
What happens when a boy and a girl with secrets hiding in their blood and start to fall fall in love in each other? Find out now!
2.2K 153 18
Set in the near future, the world has fallen to a mysterious calamity known as the Great Collapse. In order to fight the monsters that began emerging...
1.3K 60 12
Being a halfblood is pretty bad. Especially in this time. Young boy Jaycob is a halfblood who is just trying to live a normal life without the tempta...