Rise (Percy Jackson x Reader)

By imagines_i_guess

BOOK ONE of the percy jackson x reader "Flower Girl" series! - CURRENTLY UNDERGOING EDITS - She was falling. ... More

✺✺✺
!!another announcement!!
i
ii
one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
twenty-one
twenty-two
twenty-three
twenty-four
twenty-five
twenty-six
twenty-eight
twenty-nine
thirty
thirty-one
thirty-two
thirty-three
iii

twenty-seven

10K 317 208
By imagines_i_guess

hi!! extra chapter this week because i really felt like updating ☺️

edited: april 7, 2021
✺✺✺

(Y/N) sighs, pulling a tank top over her head and looking in the mirror. This was not going to be fun. She runs a hand through the roots of her hair, stepping away and before turning and looking up at the wall, examining the gift from last year.

The Imperial Gold is spotless, taken care of extremely well due to its rarity. (Y/N) smiles at the sight, shifting her focus and pulling her long, silver bladed sword off the wall beside the golden one. She slides it into the sheath on her sword belt before shrugging on her leather jacket and stepping outside her cabin, the torches no longer lit from yesterday evening. She waits for Percy, looking up at the star-filled sky.

His footsteps sound right at five o' clock, and (Y/N) turns her attention to him, her face calm and lacking the gentle smile she had worn the last week of training. Percy notices this, and slight worry fills him at her tone of voice. "Fifteen," she says, her words closed off and colder than usual. He doesn't think much of it, knowing that she's going to be more harsh now, and starts jogging.

(Y/N) walks around to the clearing behind her cabin, and she rests her hand on the hilt of her sword. Percy finishes his laps, coming to a slow stop at the back of the cabin. "What's next?" he asks.

(Y/N) unsheathes her sword, spinning it before resting the flat side of the blade on her shoulder. "Do you have Riptide?"

He nods in response, pulling the pen out from the pocket of his joggers. "Today, you're sparring me until either you win, or I say we're finished. Each loss will result in two minutes of running."

Percy furrows his eyebrows in slight confusion. "That's new," he states, clicking the pen so his sword forms in his hand.

"It is. And it's going to be hard, but you only rest when I say so. We clear?"

He nods, walking forward to stand in front of her. Both demigods bring their swords up to a ready position, and they look each other in the eye, anticipating the first move. Percy steps forward, moving to strike her side, but she moves away immediately. From beside Percy, she brings her sword up to meet his, maneuvering it to knock Riptide out of his hand. (Y/N) strikes his stomach with the hilt of her sword, earning a grunt of pain from Percy. She sweeps her leg under his feet, making him lose his balance and fall backwards onto the ground.

"That's one. What did you do wrong?"

"My guard was down," Percy responds, groaning slightly as he rubs his stomach.

"And?"

"My base was weak."

"Exactly. We worked on that for the whole of last week, Percy. Get it together."

His eyes widen at the ice in her voice, but he simply nods, standing up again when she steps away from him. He picks up Riptide from the grass, turning to face (Y/N) again. He holds his sword out, and she immediately moves forward to attack. She goes to strike his shoulder, and Percy brings Riptide up to block it, but (Y/N) expertly diverts her blade to slice his thigh. His leg falters at the pain, but he keeps his stance, ignoring the blood that starts to trickle from the wound. He attacks, swiping at (Y/N)'s legs as a diversion and bringing his sword up to reach her shoulder. She blocks it, and their swords repeatedly clash as one demigod attacks and the other defends.

Twenty seconds pass, and Percy stands with Riptide pointed at his throat, (Y/N)'s silver sword behind his neck.

"Two."

The hour passes by, Percy getting bruised and bloodied and (Y/N) filling with frustration.

"Jesus Christ, Percy, stop lowering your defense!"

"That's seven."

"You can fight without your goddamn sword, don't just give up immediately!"

"Twelve."

"I gave you an open shot, Percy! Why didn't you take it?" — "I didn't notice." — "That's why I've told you to stay alert. Eighteen."

At twenty-five losses, (Y/N) lets Percy rest. He takes a few sips from his water bottle, trying to conserve it as much as possible. He watches as she wipes the blood off her sword by sliding the flat side of the blade on her leggings, a glint from the corner of his eye catching his attention. He turns his head to look inside the cabin, noticing the golden-bladed weapon on the wall. From what Grover's told him, Imperial Gold is extremely rare, and he starts wondering where (Y/N) got the sword from, along with why she's never talked about it. "Time's up, Percy. Let's go."

After nine more defeats, Percy starts losing his energy. He pushes through, letting out soft grunts of exertion with each swing of his sword. When he and (Y/N) are both holding their weapons against each other, he brings his right leg up to kick her forearm, and the hold on her sword weakens.

He pulls it out of her hand, sending a side kick to her stomach. It never lands, however, as (Y/N) blocks it with her left arm. She grabs it and pushes it upwards, ducking underneath and pulling his leg behind him.

Percy lands face-first onto the ground, and (Y/N) rests her foot on his back.

"Retract your foot, Percy. We've been over this."

"I'm sorry," he apologizes, a mixture of hurt and annoyance lacing his voice at her tone.

She lets out a light scoff, "Don't apologize. Fix it. We spent one week on all of this, and you've forgotten everything."

She steps back, grabbing her sword from the ground, "Thirty-five. Get up."

Percy remains silent, pushing himself off the grass and picking up Riptide. As the hours pass and the sun continues to rise, Percy and (Y/N) spar, the son of Poseidon losing time and time again. His strokes start to get sloppy, and his limbs grow weaker with each second. When (Y/N) spins around, her sword extended, his brain is slow to process the movements.

She stops, the edge of her blade a hair's width away from Percy's neck.

"Seriously? You're just going to give up?" she asks, her condescending tone making Percy fill with shame and annoyance.

Percy meets her gaze with ferocity. "I'm exhausted, (Y/N)."

"That's no excuse, Percy," she retorts, "If anything, it's your fault."

Percy scoffs, snapping back angrily, "How the fuck is it my fault? You're the one working me so much!"

She narrows her eyes at him, and fear starts rushing through him at her expression. "Percy, you haven't applied a word of what I've taught you to anything you've done today. If you'd kept your guard up more, assessed your situation, strategized your attacks, and used your surroundings, then you wouldn't be so tired. We'd probably even be done by now if you weren't so oblivious to the one advantage you have at your disposal!"

Percy just watches as she walks over to the platform jutting out from her cabin and leading to the clearing, not understanding. He breathes out an, "Oh," in realization when (Y/N) picks up the quarter-filled water bottle, holding it out so he can see it.

"You could have healed your injuries and been given a boost of power and energy, but you forgot the most important point I've stressed in your training. Use your resources. You have to be aware of these things, Percy! We've been out here for six hours without any real reason! Everything I've taught you is pointless if you're not going to actually retain that information!"

He hangs his head, shame filling him at her words. (Y/N) sighs in exasperation, directed both at herself and Percy. "That was a hundred and seventy-three. I'm not going to make you run for five hours, though," she states after doing the mental calculations, and Percy breathes a sigh of relief. "You've got a hundred laps. Take a break every twenty."

Percy nods, starting to run, and (Y/N) rubs her temples, letting out a soft groan. She hates this. She hates getting mad at him, hurting him, and making him feel the way he does.

Maybe she should go easier.

No.

This is for the best. It'll build him up and make him even more skilled.

It'll keep him safe.

And it will make him become more distant from her.

The doubts about whether it's worth it continue to plague her mind, and she sheathes her sword, trying to shift her focus to something else. Luckily, Percy comes to help with that, when he starts slowing his jog to a walk. "Come on, Percy, try to keep running. You can tend to your injuries during your break. Eight left, pick it up," she wants to make her voice more gentle and reassuring, but she keeps it on the colder side.

Percy starts jogging again, and she picks up the bottle from the patio, rolling it back and forth between her hands. When Percy finishes his first twenty laps, she steps aside, letting him sit in the chair while she hands him the bottle. He takes a few sips before pouring some into his cupped hand, and it passes over his skin to heal the cuts and get rid of the bruises all over his body. He lets out a deep exhale of relief, leaning his head back as he begins to catch his breath.

"That sword," he starts, and (Y/N) raises her eyebrow, turning her head to face him as he gestures inside the cabin. "Where did you get it?"

"Why do you ask?" she returns, wondering where his sudden interest is coming from. "It's just that—" he pauses to take a few more breaths— "Grover told me Imperial Gold is pretty rare." (Y/N) lets the corner of her lips turn upwards, and it sends ripples of warmth through Percy at her lack of harshness.

"It was a gift. Last year, I was-" she cuts herself off, remembering her vow. "I came across some rogue, I guess you could say, demigods that didn't attend Camp Half-Blood and helped train them," she says, making sure not to give away any information about Camp Jupiter, "I ended up saving their lives, so they chose to repay me with it."

Percy nods, slightly confused, "How would they have a sword like that, though?"

(Y/N) quickly comes up with a white lie, "These weapons existed during the earlier times of the gods. The demigods managed to excavate it."

"Oh," Percy says in acknowledgment before furrowing his eyebrows, "Why don't you use it?"

(Y/N) chuckles, "One poke from that blade and your soul and body would be permanently damaged. It's dangerous to us, so I only use it when I'm on guard duty."

Percy nods, "Please don't use it on me, then."

"I won't, Blue," she reassures, and Percy smiles at the nickname, being the first time she'd used it today. "Go on, you've still got more laps to do," she says, back in her coaching mindset. He sighs, pushing himself up from the chair and running with a renewed strength and energy. After three more breaks and eighty more laps, (Y/N) dismisses him to his cabin, and he heads over without question.

Percy lasts three days.

"Get up, Percy," (Y/N)'s voice is full of exasperation. Percy coughs, the blow to his stomach having knocked the wind out of him. He weakly pushes himself off the ground, steadying himself with his fist before standing properly, loosely holding Riptide. (Y/N) holds her sword up, and Percy does the same, waiting for her word. "Again."

He attacks, and (Y/N) deflects it with ease. As he brings his sword back to guard himself, she cuts his hip, and Percy brings his left hand to cover the spot as he hisses in pain. Rolling her eyes, she deftly slices along his cheek and right bicep, making Riptide fall out of Percy's grasp.

"You can't let your pain distract you," (Y/N) tells him, holding the tip of her sword to his Adam's apple. "Again," she brings her blade down to rest at her side, waiting for Percy to pick up his sword.

"No."

She raises an eyebrow, "No?"

Percy meets her gaze, his eyes swimming with fury, "No."

"Don't tell me you're a quitter, too."

"I'm not a quitter."

"Well, that's what it sounds like. You're giving up."

"I'm not."

"Then prove it! Instead of walking away, pick up your goddamn sword and do it again."

Percy's breaths are heavy, and he grits his teeth with anger. Instead of saying anything, he bends down to pick up Riptide, holding it in his ready position. (Y/N) does the same, and Percy immediately attacks. His swings are wild, everything in his sight tinted red.

(Y/N) defends against the blows, her focus remaining steady even when Percy's sword grazes her cheekbone. She ignores the small trickle of blood as she steps closer to Percy, slicing his thigh and making him stumble backwards. "You're fighting with anger. That's only going to work against you," she tells him, and he rushes forwards again, not heeding her words.

When his arm is outstretched, (Y/N) grabs it, bringing the hilt of her sword down upon his inner elbow. Riptide falls out of his hand, and (Y/N) maneuvers behind him, holding her blade up to his throat as his arm is pinned to his back. Percy struggles, but (Y/N) presses the weapon closer to his skin, and he goes still. She releases the hold on him, stepping away, "Again."

"No."

"Seriously? Are you going to say that every time?"

"I can't do this, (Y/N)."

"Yes, you can. You're just choosing not to."

"How am I choosing not to?" he exclaims, looking at her with frustration.

"You're not putting in the effort," she says, exasperated. "You're giving up each time you have the chance to get it right and you're not listening to the advice I'm giving you because you feel like you can't do it. You're choosing not to improve, Perseus Jackson, and that's a stupid choice to make."

"I'm not like you!" Percy shouts, making (Y/N) scoff.

"What on earth do you mean?" she asks, her voice carrying annoyance.

"I'm not like you, (Y/N). I can't just waltz into something complicated and get it right the first try. I can't fight like you. I can't ignore pain like you. I can't do everything that you do because I'm not like you. You're making this impossible for me to achieve!"

"Percy, you can't get it right because you keep telling yourself that I'm the only person who can do this stuff, or anyone other than you. It's your mindset that's keeping you from this, not your ability."

"Well, maybe my mindset is actually right," Percy says, his tone downcast as he shrugs, "Maybe- maybe I can't do this anyway. I'm not like the other demigods here. This isn't me."

(Y/N)'s stance loosens, and she sighs before starting, "Percy, if you keep this up—"

"Then what?" he interrupts, his frustration coming back. "You can't keep telling me that I can do this when I'm failing over and over again. You- you can't push me to my breaking point and then tell me that everything's gonna work out. What makes you think that you can do that?"

(Y/N) stays silent, hiding any emotion.

She waits, listening to the words that she knew were coming from the very beginning.

"I give up. You're right. I- I am a quitter. I quit. I'm done. But you know why? It's because of you. You're cruel. You're cold and harsh, you injure me and then say it's my fault, you push me to limits I can't even go and tell me that it's my mindset preventing me from doing the impossible. You're absolutely horrible for doing that and then saying that I can manage. I can't deal with that. With you. And I- I wish that you weren't my trainer! I wish that I didn't have to spend all these torturous hours with you! I can't do this, (Y/N). You- you were wrong. I'm done with this, and don't try to convince me that I'm not. I'm- I'm done."

With each sentence, (Y/N)'s heart breaks just a little bit more.

She knew what she was getting into. She chose to.

So why does it hurt so much, even after she tried to make sure it wouldn't?

Her face remains expressionless, and Percy stares at her, confused by her lack of response. "Well? What are you going to say?"

She shrugs, sheathing her sword before answering, "You said that you were done. There's nothing more to say."

"You're just fine with that?" his words are incredulous, her apathy making him even more furious.

"Percy, there's a reason I don't coach individuals often. They always back out."

He scoffs, picking up Riptide from the ground, "Maybe it's because of you."

(Y/N) raises an eyebrow, keeping her façade up, "Or maybe it's because people choose to quit before they can make progress."

"It's impossible to make progress with you as a coach!"

"And now I'm not your coach, so why are you still here?"

Percy flinches at her words, shocked by her response, "Sorry?"

She furrows her eyebrows slightly before repeating herself, "Why are you still here? You said you were done and that you couldn't deal with me, so why are you here? Just go."

"I will!"

"Good."

Percy walks out of the training area, making his way around (Y/N)'s cabin before heading to his own. When he's out of sight, (Y/N) unbuckles her sword belt, tossing it to the side with her blade still sheathed. She cracks her knuckles before pulling the practice dummy into the center of the clearing, punching it without a second thought.

Her mind remains silent, but anger bubbles up inside of her, making her attacks stronger. Her punches land without rhythm, sending single blows followed by those in groups.

She just needs to hit something.

She punches without any concept of time, hours passing before she is drawn out of her stupor by her name being called in the distance. She keeps hitting the dummy as Annabeth rounds the corner to the training area, a sandwich held in her hand. (Y/N) punches one more time, the dummy bursting into flames at the contact.

"Um, (Y/N)? You okay?" Annabeth asks, and (Y/N) extinguishes the fire with a wave of her hand.

She turns to her best friend, shrugging, "Yeah. You?"

Annabeth's eyes are slightly wide as she answers, "Uh, I'm good. Are you sure you're okay?"

"Why wouldn't I be?"

"You've got a cut on your cheek and you set the dummy on fire," Annabeth states like it's the most obvious thing in the world.

Because it is, and she's concerned that (Y/N) thought it was normal.

(Y/N) sighs, her head falling, "Percy officially hates me."

Annabeth furrows her eyebrows, walking towards her, "I doubt that's true."

"No, he backed out while saying that I'm cruel and that he wished I wasn't his trainer so he wouldn't spend 'these torturous hours with me'. He also said that he can't deal with me because I'm horrible, so yeah. He hates me."

Annabeth looks at her friend with sympathy as (Y/N) shrugs, trying to keep her true emotions from breaking free. "I'm sorry," Annabeth says, and (Y/N) waves it off.

"I was expecting it. It's no one's fault but mine."

"No, it's not your fault," she comforts, placing a hand on (Y/N)'s shoulder, "He knew what he was getting into, he just... overreacted. I'm gonna talk to him."

"You don't have to do that, Annie."

"I know. But I'm going to."

"I correct myself: I don't want you to do that."

"I know that, too. I'm still going to," she responds, and (Y/N) lets out a soft chuckle. "There we go," Annabeth says, glad that she could make her smile. "Here, I brought you this," she hands (Y/N) the sandwich wrapped in parchment paper, "I figured you hadn't eaten all day."

"Thank you."

"Maybe it'll cheer you up, too."

"You know me too well," (Y/N) says, gently nudging her shoulder as they walk inside her cabin, picking her belt up along the way. "So, what's the real reason you came to look for me?"

Annabeth stands to the side as (Y/N) hangs the weapon back up on her wall, the silver contrasting greatly in comparison to the gold sword next to it. "Chiron wanted to talk to you. He said it was confidential."

"Confidential?"

"Probably that thing you swore on the Styx not to release any information about? That seems like the only option."

(Y/N) hums in thought, furrowing her eyebrows, "Possibly. Where was he?"

"He said he'd wait in his office."

"Thanks, Annie."

"No problem," Annabeth says, pausing before asking, "Do you want a hug?"

(Y/N) chuckles sadly before nodding, "Yeah."

Annabeth steps forward, wrapping her arms around her best friend and gently patting her back. "He's gonna come around, okay?" she comforts, and (Y/N) shrugs before pulling away.

"I hope so. I really can't blame him, though."

"Just don't blame yourself."

"No guarantees, Annabeth," she responds lightheartedly, saluting before unwrapping the sandwich and leaving her cabin. Annabeth sighs, shaking her head slightly before exiting the residence and walking in the opposite direction.

When (Y/N) reaches Chiron's office in the Big House, she knocks on the door, earning a, "Come in" as a response.

"You wanted to speak to me?" she asks, closing the door behind her and tossing the balled-up parchment paper in the trash can. Chiron nods, gesturing to the seat in front of the desk for her to sit down, and she does.

He stands, looking out the window while asking, "How is Percy's training coming along?"

(Y/N) drums her fingers on the armrest uncomfortably, "He backed out today."

"Really?" Chiron asks in amazement, turning to face her as she nods. "I'm sorry."

(Y/N) shrugs, "Don't be. I was expecting it, so it didn't come as a surprise."

Her voice is anything but sad, the mask of indifference keeping her emotions from view.

"Well, there's going to be the fall tournament next week that I want him to participate in, so hopefully the training he's had will help him out."

"He should be fine."

"That's good to hear," Chiron states, stepping towards the desk, "Anyway, the real reason I called you here is about Camp Jupiter." (Y/N)'s eyebrows lift slightly, not expecting Annabeth's guess to be right.

"Camp Jupiter? What about it?" she asks, wondering why Chiron had summoned her about Camp Half-Blood's counterpart.

"Reyna asked for you to return as a temporary coach. Your teachings were very effective last year, and they trust you after the uh... dragon incident."

"Ah," (Y/N) lets out in remembrance, "yes, that. That was a very interesting day."

Chiron chuckles, "Indeed. They have given you the offer to spend a week as a group trainer, and if you accept, you would leave tomorrow before the afternoon."

(Y/N) bites her lip in thought, going over the positives and negatives.

She'd be able to help more demigods protect themselves.

But there could also be another incident like last year's.

But she took control of that incident and kept a dragon from destroying the legion.

Plus, she'll be a key player in the safety and growth of more people like her, so there wasn't any real reason to object.

"I'll take it. Do I need to make another oath?"

Chiron shakes his head, "You swore on the River Styx that you wouldn't release any information about Camp Jupiter to those unaware, and the same for Camp Half-Blood. There is no need to do so again as long as you keep the oath. The praetors contacted me in the belief that I live in Olympus. Remember that story, and you should be fine."

(Y/N) nods, standing up and stretching her neck, "Okay, then. I'll see you here tomorrow?"

"Absolutely. Good night, (Y/N)."

"Night, Chiron."

She heads to her cabin, immediately walking towards the desk opposite the bunk bed in her room. She looks at the candles resting in glass cases on the walls, focusing on their wicks until small flames burst to life and illuminate her room in the darkening evening light. She rummages through the clutter on her desk, pulling out a few sheets of paper and a pen.

(Y/N) sits down, spinning the pen with her fingers as she stares in front of her, wondering what to say. She closes her eyes, thinking about the reason for her letter before opening them, angling the paper to make it easier to write.

This is exactly why she hates emotions.

When she finishes writing (taking a deep breath to loosen her closed-up throat), she folds the five pieces of paper, placing them into an envelope. After writing her three words on the back, she puts her pen down, opening a drawer and setting the envelope inside.

She gets ready for bed, sending her cabin into darkness with a snap of her fingers. However, the peaceful sleep she so desperately wishes for fails to come.

(Y/N) ducks under a sword, sending quick punches at someone's stomach before moving away. The boy grunts, looking at her with black eyes glinting orange in fury.

Planks of wood cross in front of an arrowhead, and (Y/N) immediately diverts her bow to shoot at the metal chain holding one of them up. It ricochets with a light 'clang', flying towards the wall.

A teenager looks to the forest with gritted teeth before turning back to (Y/N), her long, dark braid falling over her shoulder. "We're going to need your help," she says, eyes full of worry, and (Y/N) raises an eyebrow.

"Did you seriously think I'd leave you to fend for yourselves?"

(Y/N) opens her eyes, looking ahead of her with her gaze emanating power. Rivers of gold and red divide the pool of (Y/E/C), but it does little to hide the reflection of the flames burning all around her.

"Get them out of here!" a blonde-haired boy yells, desperately fighting off two large creatures hidden in shadow.

A girl kneels, clutching a body to her chest and gently rocking it back and forth.

Forest-green eyes, full of joy and life, go glassy and dim.

A tower of blue flames shoots into the sky before the faces of armed demigods blur into darkness.

(Y/N)'s eyes snap open, and she stares at the ceiling of her cabin, unmoving and silently contemplating. Her dreams are different. Other campers lack tangible information about the scenes, but she feels the emotion, the pain, the situation itself.

A light tingling sensation makes her rub the skin of her hand, hoping to decipher it. She knows that was Camp Jupiter. She knows that something terrible is going to happen.

But what makes her throat clench with guilt and fear is far, far worse.

She knows that girl.

She knows those eyes.

And now she knows their fate.

✺✺✺
I HATE TO BREAK THE SERIOUS MOOD BUT Y'ALL I FOUND THIS YESTERDAY AND IT'S PERFECT FOR THIS CHAPTER

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

95K 1.9K 51
❝ You're an idiot, Steve Harrington ❞ - 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡 best friends, (Y/n) Henderson and Steve Harrington get caught up in their feelings while para...
4.6K 89 10
Y/n had always scoffed at the thought of love, she'd always put her studies and future careers first. That is exactly why she won't ever let herself...
150K 1.6K 28
"He turns his hand slightly as he looks in my eyes and runs his thumb just above my knee feeling my soft skin." In a world where humans have mates...
14.4K 659 54
The Hamon users, the Vampires, the Pillar Men. Many years ago, these forces did battle against each other. However, what if there was another form of...