Don't Mask, Don't Tell

By MrsNikkiAshley

"Last weekend never happened." That's what Olivia Graham repeatedly told herself after her earth-shattering e... More

Author's Note
Aesthetics
Artwork
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45

Chapter 16

5.2K 345 407
By MrsNikkiAshley

A tall, sandy blonde with a muscular build and crystal blue eyes makes his way over to me.

The sleeves of his white dress shirt roll up at his elbows, and the hand tucked into his pocket draws my attention to his ankle-cropped, grey plaid slacks, which complement his black loafers and tie.

His free hand hugs a disposable Jason's Java cup and a dimpled grin forms a smile across his chiseled cheekbones.

"Olivia Graham?" My name leaves his perfect lips again, this time in the form of a question.

"I'm sorry...do I know you?" I would remember meeting someone this beautiful before.

Wouldn't I?

"No, I'm sorry—my bad! Of course, you wouldn't recognize me. However, I hope you've heard of me." His smile grows mischievous as he gives me a flirty wink and continues. "Surely, Axel mentioned my charismatic personality and dashing good looks at some point!" he says boldly, knowing how attractive he truly is.

"Mickey?" I hesitate, unsure if that's the answer he's looking for.

"The one and only!" He takes a dramatic bow.

I giggle at his gesture as he plops down in the seat opposite mine.

"Oh, please join me!" I respond sarcastically, motioning my hand across the circular table towards the chair he sits in.

A shit-eating grin forms on his face, making his adorable laugh lines reappear.

"Axel did mention that quick tongue of yours..." he says with a provocative tone as he slowly brings his coffee to his lips.

Blood flows to my face and ears and my cheeks burn.

What else did Axel mention about my tongue?

Mickey laughs at my embarrassed response. He looks pleased with himself in having achieved his goal to make me uncomfortable.

Asshole.

"I'm teasing, sweetheart. Axel doesn't kiss and tell." He takes another sip of his coffee before continuing. "However, if you get bored of him, give me a call!" He winks in a playful way that tells me he's all talk.

He'd never go for someone his best friend is interested in, I can tell he isn't the type. This flirty fuckboy facade is just that.

There's more to Mickey than what meets the eye.

"I think I'll have to pass on your very generous offer," I respond teasingly.

"Your loss," he teases back.

"So how'd you recognize me? Did Axel show you a pic?"

"I actually helped him find you." He chuckles. "Wow, that sounds creepy out loud."

We both laugh and sip on our coffee as I share my blueberry scone.

Mickey continues our conversation between bites. "We saw pictures of you on social media with the famous Ms. Alvarez..." His grin grows. "Speaking of Eliza, do you think I could get her number?"

"You don't ever stop, do you?" I ask through laughter.

"I have to find some way to get over you, don't I?" He pushes out his bottom lip in a dramatic pout with matching puppy dog eyes.

This man is hilarious and relentless.

"Fuck it! Axel wanted to set you up with her anyways...here!" I pass Mickey my cell to add his number into it. "I'll share your contact info with her and if she's interested, she'll call you."

"Oh, shit! Really?! Thanks!" He chokes down a bite of scone, breaking out of his confident character for a brief moment, and adding his number into my phone.

"Smile!" I point my cell to take his picture for her.

She'll want to see how hot he is...

"Wait! Wait! Get my good side!" He raises his hand, cupping his stubble covered chin, looking off into the distance, posing pensively.

I giggle and snap the picture, sending it to my best friend with his contact card.

Eliza and him could be good together.

"Soo? Was that a good pic?"

"Oh, absolutely! She's swoon!" I playfully respond.

"Thank God, I hope her father will finally accept my proposal now." He says in an old-timey southern accent, as if he's trading cattle and sheep for Eliza's hand in marriage.

We both fall out laughing, gathering some annoyed looks from the customers in the cafe.

I don't think Frank Alvarez would understand Mickey's personality and I honestly doubt Eliza will ever truly settle down. She's very independent, but it's worth a shot.

They might match each other's crazy.

I glance at the time on my phone before placing it back down on the table.

"I should probably head upstairs, you know, work and all." I smile at him, surprisingly enjoying our breakfast banter, appreciating the much needed distraction.

Axel was right, I do like his cheeky sass.

"I'd be happy to walk you, I'm actually headed to your office."

"Oh, are you? Meeting with Axel?"

"Yes ma'am! Mind leading the way?"

"Sure, follow me!" I smile, grabbing my coffee and phone.

Mickey gets up from our table, taking my hand, guiding me to my feet and clears our plate. We wave goodbye to Ken, who's now dealing with a chaotic line out the door and make our way to the lobby elevators.

As the jazzy elevator music plays, Mickey breaks the silence between us. "So how are things actually going with you and Axel?"

"Nice try! I don't kiss and tell either." I smirk, using his own words from earlier.

"Touché!" Mickey's laugh echoes through the office lobby as the glass doors glide open, bringing the reception desk into view.

Stephanie perks up from behind the counter, pushing her chest forward and shoulders back, after seeing the attractive man standing next to me.

She's the worst.

Stephanie has worked at V.I.C for many years as our administrative support and has never liked me.

Charlotte and Stephanie are best friends, and when the whole office found out about her and Jack, Stephanie immediately got everyone on their side. She's a drama-spreading gossip who lives for conflict.

And her disdain for me is blatantly obvious.

"Good morning, Stephanie." I keep my tone professional as we approach the front desk.

"O-livia." She responds through pursed lips, heavily pronouncing the 'O' in my name, attitude fully on display.

Blatantly obvious.

I ignore her unprofessionalism. "Mr. Carrington's morning appointment is here to see him." I gesture to Mickey. "If you'll please notify him."

Stephanie nods as though I'm forcing her to eat her vegetables at dinner.

I'm so over her attitude.

I turn to Mickey. "Axel should be down shortly. I hope you don't mind, I need to head upstairs." I smile reaching to shake his hand, "It was a pleasure to meet you, I thoroughly enjoyed having coffee together."

I speak just loud enough for Stephanie to hear, making her insanely jealous. She's clearly interested in Mickey, by the way she was checking him out.

Might as well have a little fun at her expense.

"Olivia Graham, the pleasure was all mine." Mickey says seductively as he gently kisses my hand, his eyes mischievously looking past me.

That comforting woodsy fragrance overwhelms my senses as his dominating presence enters the room. His hand immediately rests on my lower back, almost territorially. Without having to turn around, I know it's him.

"I think you've had your fun. Now quit fucking around!" Axel's tone is calm, but stern. I'm turned on and equally nervous by how quickly he commanded everyone's attention.

"Come on, Ace! I'm just dicking with you. I know Olivia's off-limits." Mickey chuckles nervously.

At this point everyone in the lobby is staring at the scene these boys are making, including Stephanie.

I look to Axel, and those eyes that I normally get lost in, are now dark and cold. His jaw clenches and his muscles tense.

Mickey hit a nerve.

"Okay, boys...maybe we should head to the conference room." I grab at Axel's arm, mumbling through gritted teeth, "People are staring..."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

456K 8.7K 13
#3 in the Undiscovered writers awards for chicklit genre #107 in Chicklit 20 December 2016 #9 in Undiscovered SAMPLE ONLY. To read the story in full...
754 94 26
A black red bottomed heel followed by a sleek, shiny, smooth leg accompanied with a red lingerie stepped out. It was the boss. I looked at her head t...
3.3K 246 41
All is fair in love, war and Business. Is it though? Grace never had it easy when it came to life. First she had to deal with her parents trying rip...
473 13 10
Madison My best friend and neighbor, Piper, is trying to arrange a blind date for me. I agree because she doesn't take no as an answer. But why won't...