Corona City

By Cupcakegirlpower

Currently being rewritten A Modern Tangled AU. Varian is a dorky, fifteen year old nerd who is in his senior... More

Episode 1:Beginings P1
Episode 2:Beginings P2
Episode 3:A Sunny Fall Party
Episode 4:Viral Spiral
Episode 5:On the Ball
Episode 6:Not So Easily Solved
Episode 8:Operation:Christmas Scrooge
Episode 9:New Year's Resolutions
Episode 10:The Wall Between
Episode 11:Project Moonstone P1
Episode 12:Project Moonstone P2
Please Read:CC Update
S2-E1: Sunburned P1

Episode 7:Two Below

423 19 95
By Cupcakegirlpower

Good morning and good night
(Jeremy Jordan-Varian Meyer)
I'll wake up at twilight
(Eden Espinosa-Cassandra Guard)
It's gonna be alright
(Mandy Moore-Rapunzel/Sunny Corona)
We don't even have to try
(Zachary Levi-Eugene Fritzherbert)
It's always a good time
(Jonathan Banks-Quirin, M. C. Gainy-Mr. Guard)

Whoa oh oh oh, whoa oh oh oh
(James Monroe-Lance)
It's always a good time
(Sean Heyes-Pete, Diedrich Bader-Stan)
Whoa oh oh oh, whoa oh oh oh
(Peter MacNicol-Principal Nigel)
We don't even have to try
(Julie Brown-Ariana, Clancy Brown-Fredric)
It's always a good time
(All other voices)

Written by Cupcakegirlpower
Tangled is owned by Disney
Theme Song: It's Always a Good Time
By Owl City and Carly Rae Jespen

Two Below

"Do you guys know what tomorrow is?"  Rapunzel asked.

"Sunday,"  Cassandra said.

"The first,"  Varian said at the same time as Cassandra.

"Yes, to both, but I mean what else is tomorrow."

Cassandra and Varian looked at each other.  "We're beat,"  he admitted.

"It's Eugene's birthday!"  Rapunzel squealed.

"Shh!  Raps!  I don't know if you forgot or something, but need I remind you that we're in a library?"  Cassandra chided.

"Sorry…"  Rapunzel whispered with a hand over her mouth.

Varian snickered, resulting with Cassandra glaring at him.  He snapped his mouth shut at her icy glare.  It alone could freeze its receiver if they did not know the girl well enough.

"So, what?  It's Fritzherbert's birthday.  Why should we care?"  Cassandra asked.

"Because we're his friends."  Rapunzel put her hands on her hips.

"I never became friends with the guy."  She looked at Varian.  "Did I ever say I was friends with him?  No, I'm pretty sure I was dragged into this so called 'friendship'."  She used her fingers to mark the quotations for friendship.

Varian shook his head and then nodded when Cassandra said the last sentence.  "Yeah, I'm pretty sure only me and you fit in that statement, Rapunzel."

She crossed her arms.  "We are planning a birthday party whether you like it or not!"  Rapunzel said.  "Cass, you're gonna help me with the decorations tomorrow-"

"Woe, ho, ho.  No way, Raps.  I've got a tight schedule tomorrow so-"

"Unless you want to spend the whole day with Eugene while me and Varian set up the party…"  Rapunzel began smugly.

"On second thought, I can clear my schedule for the birthday boy.  When do we meet to start setting up?"  Cassandra asked.

Rapunzel smiled.  Another victory for her.  "I think after lunch would be appropriate.  We'll have the party at two.  Varian, think you can go get lunch with him and do something in the meantime while me and Cass set up?"

"You got it, Sunny!"  Varian saluted.

"Thanks!  This is going to be the best, you guys!"  Rapunzel clapped her hands.

"Shh!"  Varian and Cassandra reminded her.

"Sorry,"  she whispered.

~~~~~~~~~~

"I think you should take Varian out again,"  Rapunzel said.  "We need more Team Awesome."

"Agreed.  We haven't recorded a song in weeks.  The channel is very demanding,"  Eugene replied.

"You two should plan your next recording.  I'm dying to hear another one of your songs!  I'm right there with the media.  Alright!  More Team Awesome!"

"Is it just me or are you slightly more enthusiastic today?"  Eugene questioned.

"Huh.  Haven't noticed,"   Rapunzel lied.

"Ah, well, you're right.  More Team Awesome is on demand and it is our job to continue it!  Me and the kid will discuss it over lunch tomorrow!"

"Why not today?  I mean he's at school tomorrow.   We are not exactly on Christmas break yet..."  Rapunzel pointed out.

"Right.  Man, you really want this Team Awesome thing, don't you?"

"More than you'll ever know!"  Rapunzel exclaimed.

"Of course.  Now I'll just get clearance from his Dad and then from himself.  I'll be back later, sunshine."

"Take your time!"  Rapunzel hollered after him.  She sighed.  That had gone better than expected.

~~~~~~~~~~

Eugene and Varian were in a car.  They were at the pick up side of the building for food.  Eugene looked at Varian.  "Uh, I think I forgot something super important…"

"Yeah?"

"Um… I promised Lance that I would drop off something that I borrowed today.  Do you mind if I do that?  He lives a bit out in the country, so the road's a little bumpy."

Varian shook his head.  This was perfect.  "Nope.  I don't mind.  We can talk about Team Awesome on the road."

"Sounds good to me,"  Eugene grinned.

The person in the window handed him his card back.  "Thank you," he said to her and he began to drive out of the parking lot.

"Sooo… what's the plan for Team Awesome?"  Varian asked.

"You're the one who usually picks the songs.  Got any ideas?  Probably do a new one, ya know," Eugene said.

"Right…"  Varian thought for a moment.

"While we think, maybe these songs will help us think."  Eugene gave a grin.

The tune started to play.  "Oh, yeah, Eugene!  I love this song!"  Varian laughed.

"Me too." Eugene chuckled.

You would not believe your eyes
If ten million fireflies
Lit up the world as I fell asleep
'Cause they'd fill up the open air
And leave teardrops everywhere
You'd think me rude
But I would just stand and stare

The two were singing along in the car.  "Why not just sing this song?"  Varian asked.

"Good idea."

I'd like to make myself believe
That planet earth turns slowly
It's hard to say I'd rather stay awake when I'm asleep
'Cause everything is never as it seems…

~~~~~~~~~~

"Alright.  Varian is out with Eugene to keep him occupied.  Now we can start decorating!"  Rapunzel exclaimed.

"Whoopie-woo."  Cassandra said sarcastically.

"Oh, come on Cass!  This is gonna be fun!  You like cake, right?"

"Yeah, I think I prefer cookies."  Cassandra smirked.

"Cass.  Can you stop being a stick in the mud?"  Rapunzel put her hands on her hips.

"I'm joking with you, Raps.  Where were we putting the streamers again?"

"Over there.  Oooh!  I can't wait to see the look on his face!"  Rapunzel gasped.

~~~~~~~~~~

"When you said he lived out in the country, I didn't realize you meant there was like no civilization," Varian commented.

"Yeah, he's just five minutes up the road though.  We were in grade school together, then he moved, so yep."  Eugene glanced at his friend.

"Well, I bet it looked absolutely beautiful a month and a half ago.  With the colored leaves…  Actually, Eugene.  Christmas is in like twenty-four days now.  I'm thinking Team Awesome better do a Christmas song…"

"I totally forgot it was December, now.  Wait… what's the date?  Is it the first or second?"

"Let me check my…"  Varian's eyes widened.  "I left my phone at home."

"Check mine,"  Eugene offered.

His phone was in between their seats.  Varian clicked the button.  It didn't turn on.  "Uh, Eugene, your phone's dead, but I'm pretty sure it's the first."

"Hope so.  Man, it would be bad if I forgot my mother's birthday," Eugene sighed with relief.

"Wait, your mother's birthday?"  Varian asked.

"Yep."

"When's yours?"  Varian asked.

"January twelfth."

Varian's heart sank.  Eugene's birthday day was one twelve, not twelve one.  They had the dates mixed up and he couldn't tell Rapunzel.  "Ah."

Eugene pulled into the driveway.  "Hold on.  I'll just hand it over and we'll ride home, alright?"

Varian nodded.  "Sure."

He waited in the car as Eugene and Lance interacted for a few minutes.  Varian was inwardly freaking out.  They messed up!  What was he going to do?  How could they fix this?

Eugene got back in the car.  "Alright.  Back home then?"

Varian nodded.  His stomach made a flip-flop.

~~~~~~~~~~

"Um, Raps.  Not to be a nag, but don't you think we should, I don't know, invite his dad?"  Cassandra asked.

Rapunzel gasped.  "I totally forgot!  I hope he's not working…"  she dialed the number.

Cassandra stood by Rapunzel.  She could hear the hello.

"Hi, Mr. Fritzherbert.  I planned a surprise party for Eugene's birthday-"

"Today's not Eugene's birthday."  Edmund stated.

"It's not?"  Rapunzel looked confused.

"No, his birthday is on January twelfth.  Today is my late wife's birthday,"  Edmund explained.

"Raps, are you serious?"  Cassandra glared.

"Oh…  I know how to fix this.  We will still have a surprise party, but for Mrs. Fritzherbert!"  she exclaimed.  "It's at two.  Can you make it?"

Edmund smiled on his side of the phone.  "Wouldn't miss it for the world."

"Alright!"  Rapunzel hung up.  "Come on Cass, we have a party to plan!"

"Raps, our banner saids happy birthday, Eugene."  Cassandra pointed to the homemade banner.

"Easy fix."  Rapunzel grabbed a paint brush.  She added the strokes necessary, creating a 'happy birthday  Eugene's mom!'  poster.  "There."

~~~~~~~~~~

Eugene's car started hiccuping.  "That can't be good."  Eugene muttered.  As he said that, the car stopped working all together.  "Ah!  No!"

They pulled over to the side of the road.  Varian frowned.  "It's like two below zero degrees outside!  We'll freeze!  We're in the middle of nowhere!"

"Relax.  We'll just call and have someone pick us up…  oh.  My phone's dead."  Eugene frowned.

"I left mine at home on accident." Varian's breath hitched.  He could feel the panic in his chest.

"Woe, woe.  Kid, breathe.  You're gonna hyperventilate.  See, in.  Out.  In.  Out,"  Eugene instructed.  "It's gonna be alright.  We're just gonna get a little cold.  We're gonna walk or run, or whatever, until we find the nearest occupied building.  Alright?  It's gonna be ok."

Varian nodded as his breathing began to slow.  He had Eugene.  It would be alright.  Eugene always had a plan.  He was thankful for that.

~~~~~~~~~~

"Cass, it's two thirty.  Varian won't answer his phone.  They should have been here by now.  I'm starting to get worried."  Rapunzel looked at her best friend.

"Eugene won't answer his phone either."  Edmund frowned.

"Where were they going?"  Cassandra asked.

As if on cue, Lance started calling Edmund.  "Huh.  Maybe he's calling to explain why he's not here yet?"

Lance had pulled over to the side of the road when he saw Eugene's car.  "Hey, Mr. Fritzherbert.  Um… I'm standing by Eugene's car.  Looks like it broke down on them.  Him and the kid won't answer their phones though."

Edmund scowled.  "Keep driving and see if you find them."

"Of course.  Great idea."  Lance snapped his fingers.

~~~~~~~~~~

Varian shivered in the wind, his teeth chattering.  He hugged his arms trying to get any type of warmth.  His breath came out in a frozen mist.  He felt Eugene put an arm around his shoulders.  Varian looked up at his friend and gave a weak smile.

"Hang in there.  We should find someone soon,"  Eugene assured him.

"Th-they're p-p-probably w-worried by now."  Varian's teeth chattered.

"Maybe not too much yet."  Eugene shrugged.

Varian shook his head.  "N-no.  I p-promised R-Rapunzel we w-would b-be b-back at her place b-by two."

Eugene furrowed his eyebrows together.  "Why?"

Varian's eyes widened as he realized he let it slip.   He fumbled and began to mumble.  His eyes grew droopy.

"Kid!  Kid!  You're slurring and mumbling.  Hey, hey, open your eyes."  Eugene snapped his fingers in front of the boy's face.

"So cold…"  Varian mumbled.

Eugene's heart dropped.  They had been out in the cold for a long time, and his heat had quit working before the car even broke down on them.  The kid could be getting hypothermia.  They had coats and gloves, but they still weren't prepared to be hiking in the winter wind.  "Varian! Snap out of it!"

Varian flinched.

That was when the car headlights came to view.  Strangers or not, Eugene started waving them down.  He needed to get Varian somewhere warm.

The car stopped.  Eugene's heart singed.  "Lance!  Hurry, I think the kid's getting way too cold!"

"Get him in the back gently,"  Lance ordered.

~~~~~~~~~~

Rapunzel sighed with relief when Edmund's phone ranged.  It was Lance, but Eugene was on the phone.

"Eugene?  What happened?"  Edmund asked.

"My car broke down in the middle of nowhere and me and Varian had to hike through the cold for hours.  I think Varian's getting hypothermia!"

Rapunzel's breath hitched at the news.

"Ok.  Be very gentle, do not let him go to sleep.  Try to get him warm and get here as fast as possible.  How far are you from the Sonne's house?"

"Not far.  We'll be there in a minute,"  Eugene promised.

It wasn't long before Lance's car pulled in.

~~~~~~~~~~

Midnight chimed on the clock in the living room of Rapunzel's house.  Varian snuggled deeper in the blankets, the hot coffee steaming in his face.  Eugene was on the other side of the couch.  Quirin was sitting between them.  He had come the moment he heard what happened.

Varian felt his dad rub his shoulders with his large hands.  The fifteen year old laid his head on his father's side, feeling tired and exhausted.

Rapunzel and Cassandra were in a pair of chairs slowly losing their anxiety.  Edmund was not far and Rapunzel's parents were both in the room.  At this point, there was just simple, idle chatter to pass the time.  There was no danger anymore, but no one wanted to move or anything.

Rapunzel stood up and gathered plates.  They had been eating the cake meant for Eugene's birthday that ended up becoming Eugene's mother's birthday cake.  Eugene had expressed he was touched by the thought (they didn't tell him it was meant to be for his birthday that they mixed the dates up on).

"It's getting rather late now,"  Edmund said.

Eugene stood up.  "Sorry about today, kid," he apologized again.

Varian gave a tired smile.  "It wasn't your fault Eugene.  Don't worry about it.  I'm just sorry that the party didn't work out."

Eugene ruffled Varian's hair.  "I'm just glad you're alright."

Quirin wrapped his arm around his son and gave a gentle squeeze.  It would be an understatement to say he had been frightened.  It was rather ironic that he had lost his wife to a fire and almost lost his son to the cold.  He didn't find it funny, but it was still ironic.

Varian sneezed.  The entire room jumped of people jumped up, apart from Quirin, Fredric and Varian, and handed the latter a box of tissues.  Varian chuckled and subtly took a tissue from Eugene's box.  "I think I'm gonna be ok, ya all."

The group smiled sheepishly. As they let out a low laugh themselves.

End of Episode

Songs are property of Owl City.

Next episode is-Operation: Christmas Scrooge

I didn't realize I started publishing these stories almost perfect timing for them to be about the same time as dates that we're on now.  Lol.

Also, I'm so sorry that I forgot to post it this morning.  I meant to do that hours ago.  So sorry!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

461K 16.6K 95
The story is about the little girl who has 7 older brothers, honestly, 7 overprotective brothers!! It's a series by the way!!! ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ’œ my first fanfic...
637K 39K 103
Kira Kokoa was a completely normal girl... At least that's what she wants you to believe. A brilliant mind-reader that's been masquerading as quirkle...
585K 13.1K 40
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.
956K 36.2K 86
๐—Ÿ๐—ผ๐˜ƒ๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด ๐—ต๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐˜„๐—ฎ๐˜€ ๐—น๐—ถ๐—ธ๐—ฒ ๐—ฝ๐—น๐—ฎ๐˜†๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด ๐˜„๐—ถ๐˜๐—ต ๐—ณ๐—ถ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ, ๐—น๐˜‚๐—ฐ๐—ธ๐—ถ๐—น๐˜† ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ต๐—ฒ๐—ฟ, ๐—”๐—ป๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐˜€ ๐—น๐—ผ๐˜ƒ๐—ฒ ๐—ฝ๐—น๐—ฎ๐˜†๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด ๐˜„๐—ถ๐˜๐—ต ๏ฟฝ...