Like Chalk And Cheese [Comple...

By sereneFirefly

Why do you think I would be okay with the man who allegedly killed his former three wives? Or did he? --- Why... More

It was fun
That Prick
I am a buffoon
Kinda Official
Horrendous Actions
The Last Time
The Tragedy
Words of Assent
Hungry
His nice behaviour
Netflix and Chill
Am I a moocher?
Lovely Host
Down in the mouth
Make up to it
Donuts?
A Small Kick
Clear My Name
Arabian Nights
Boundaries and Whatnot
Some Horrors
Out and About
Ice-cream Again
And Again
Fight?!
Shit, no!
Still a bitch?
Disrespecting Milad?
I lied
Do I love him?
Babies
Like Chalk And Cheese
Butterflies and a lot more
Heat and Fire
Matches aren't made in Heaven
Embrace her, arsehole
Talk?
Wedding Bells
And Finally Bliss
Dear Diary
Dear Diary (II)

A favor or a threat?

1.8K 170 86
By sereneFirefly

I was taken down to the living room where all the men sat around on the sofas and armchairs. With the red silk scarf covering my head, and eyes fixated on the floor, I was brought in front of Agha Jaan, who had risen to his feet on my sight.

I could see his leather slippers, his fawn coloured shalwar and his hand that reached mine, held it and then was brought to the man standing beside him.

He was wearing brown khaki pants, and I knew for sure that he was none other than Agha Hasan. I felt like I was being sold off. His skin burned mine, as he held my hand in his.

"In Allah's protection. Take her home, Hasan." Agha Jaan's old wavering voice echoed in my heart for several seconds, as I truly registered the meaning his words upheld.

"I'll send all the rest of her luggage by the morning, for now it's just one suitcase." Baba Jaan was saying. "Maheen, where's it?"

I saw with my head still bowed, the suitcase dragged in front of me. Baba Jaan pulled my free hand atop it, and I curled my fingers around the handle.

And then Agha Hasan was walking me away.

---

Hasan

I'm a fucking thirty one year old grown man, and this is the reality I live in - one where I wasn't even at the liberty to make my own decisions about my own freaking life.

As if the life I lead wasn't already a miserable one, I was thrown face front in another embodiment of despair, this time morphed as a wife a decade younger than me. Of course, I did not want to accept the new relationship practically tossed my way, but I seemingly I had no choice at all.

I knew something was up the moment the two men walked in my office - for the first time in all the five years I've spent working for the firm. I was bound to be startled out of my wits.

I found myself rising to my feet, sending the chair scraping backwards as they sauntered in, closing the glass door behind them.

Had I not known how to put up an expression of flat indifference, I'm sure my mouth would have been agape, eyes wide. But it wasn't the case, I knew how to compose myslef from the inner shock. Though, in all honesty, I knew not how to attend to them.

Agha Zaman, and Agha Jaan himself.

"By all means, Hasan, sit down." For some reason, Agha Jaan sounded grave, almost forlorn, as if he had spent the entire night lost in his thoughts, unable to sleep. I could not help but notice how thin he had reduced to, and how the skin on his face and neck had begun to hang low, wrinkles marrying every inch of his visible physique. What surprised me the most though, was his bent back, sagged shoulders, lowered chin, and the grim set to his mouth.

God forbid, I thought someone had died, and unconsciously had braced myslef for the news. The Jinnah cap sat proudly on his head, the sound of his stick against the floor echoed in the silent space of my office as he walked forth, with Agha Zaman tailing behind him.

I quietly sat down, trying to gauge the situation at hand. But I couldn't for the life of me understand why he thought to personally inform me of the demise of the person, why he could be bothered at all. Given he wanted nothing to do with me whatsoever for the last seven years.

Mentally chiding myself for not being the responsible host to my elders, I gestured them to have a seat on the chairs across, as I reached for the intercom on the right of the table.

I saw Agha Jaan raise his hand, and then he gave a shake of his head. "Nothing. Please."

So I put the receiver down. And waited.

They both exchanges anxious glances, and then I heard Agha Jaan heave in a long breath.

"We want a favor." He finally spoke, his voice low and hesitant, as if he had been afraid of speaking out the words he just did.

My interest in the matter piqued. So nobody died. Cocking my head a little to the side, I raised an eyebrow. A favor from me? The world surely was coming to an end.

His gaze dropped. "I want you to marry Agha Zaman's daughter."

If it was possible, my eyebrows would have flown up my forehead. "Pardon?" Profoundly confused, I wondered about their mental state. For they would never in their right minds would want to marry me to any of their women, considering I had already once turned them down. And considering they had taken quite an offence.

My eyes for the first time found Agha Zaman, who surprisingly had his gaze dropped, as if there was a sin he was trying to hide. He too had a dejected droop to his shoulder, his head seemed to be hanging low in shame.

"For our family's sake, Hasan. For our dignity and virtue, our respect in the society. Give her your name, own her as yours." I swear I had caught a hint of implore in his voice. Desperation swam in his eyes. "We can not find a more suitable suitor for her at such a short notice, someone who'd not make her life a hell for the mistake she did. Someone who'd respect her regardless. And there's no one we can trust with her but you."

Agha Zaman finally looked up, and met my eyes. "I'd be indebted to you for life, Agha Hasan."

They were fucking serious. They had come to me with high hope, probably also after crushing their mounted ego. I found pity emerging in my heart for both men.

But then with a jolt of electricity I remembered the daughter that I knew. Could it be her? I hoped not. I thought it better to confirm before giving the word of assent as the medicine to their ailment. "Which one?"

Agha Zaman glanced at Agha Jaan before turning his attention back at me. "I have only one."

"You have to be kidding." I blurted out, indignant at the prospect. "She's too young for me, do you realise that? Don't do this to her. Even if you want to get rid of her, find her someone of her age."

"She doesn't deserve perfect after what she did." His voice dripped with bitterness for the person in question.

The girl's face flashed in the forefront of my mind. I could never do what they were asking of me. Besides, how could they come to me after years of expressing resentment to ask such a humungous "favour"? "What happened?" I had to ask.

Both men avoided my eyes. "Was caught with a boy at night, in the living room hiding behind the curtains." Agha Jaan finally managed to voice.

Seriously? Was it that big of a deal, that marrying her off at such a young age and in such an emergency was the only solution that came to their minds? I thought it was a bit unfair. Moreover, if she liked someone, why not marry her to that very lad?

"I implore you, Agha Hasan. Take my daughter."

"As your Agha Jaan, I order you."

My attention shifted from Agha Zaman to Agha Jaan. The corner of my lips slightly curled up in a bitter smile. "The last I remember, you had cut every ties with me."

"For God's sake, please don't drag in lost times in it." Agha Zaman said with a desperate lilt to his voice.

"Hasan!" Agha Jaan raised his voice, and I thought I'd had enough.

With a jerk I rose to my feet, and walked away to the glass wall. Looking out, letting my gaze skirt over the buildings standing low around the edifice I myself was in, I thought I was making a decision for myself. I turned to face them. "Please, Agha Jaan, I'm sorry but you can't order me around, not after the years that I've lost living alone. You've lost your place. It's a no from me." And then I added, with a stinging burn to my voice. "Again."

His nostrils visibly flared with rage, but surprisingly he kept quiet. Agha Zaman though stood up. "Hasan, please. I'll owe you all the rest of my life. Don't turn me down. Save my daughter, save her respect in the society by giving her your name. Give her a place in your house."

"I'll bring your name into dirt, if you don't." Agha Jaan stepped in once again. "I hope you're aware that I can do anything."

My jaw clenched. He really got the nerve to come barge into my space and threaten me without an ounce of remorse.

Agha Zaman turned to his father. He looked like a broken man, and strangely, I felt empathy crawl into my heart. "For heaven's sake, Agha Jaan, it's hardly the time for threats. He'd be doing us a favor."

He squared his shoulders and breathed through his nose in an indignant sort of way. "I'm his elder, he should feel obliged to my orders." Getting up, he gave me a hard stare. "You better be home tonight. Arrangements would be done for the Nikah, and remember if you're not present, I'll give a hard time."

Agha Zaman flicked his gaze between us, helplessness marring his every movement. He had to follow his father as he trudged towards the door, leaving me floating in sheer mental misery.

---

A/n: Don't forget to vote and comment people

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.2K 505 47
Mature content !!!! Forced marriage ! I didn't ask for it ! " I will ruin your innocence " " You will be destroyed with me " " You betrayed me an...
552K 24.3K 41
He was the Man who preferred darkness. She was the Woman who preferred brightness. He preferred Loneliness. She preferred Togetherness. He had suf...
2.1M 107K 78
Hartaj was standing on the terrace with his hands fisted. It was cold , but he couldn't care about it. The fire in him wasn't letting him see anythin...
10K 266 18
𝒀/𝒏 - π’šπ’π’– 𝒄𝒂𝒏'𝒕 π’ƒπ’π’‚π’„π’Œπ’Žπ’‚π’Šπ’ π’Žπ’† π’π’Šπ’Œπ’† 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 π’šπ’π’– 𝑭𝒖^π’Œπ’†π’“. *( π’‚π’π’ˆπ’“π’š ) * π‘±π’–π’π’ˆπ’Œπ’π’π’Œ - (π‘Ίπ’Žπ’Šπ’“π’Œ) π’•π’‰π’Šπ’” οΏ½...