Is It True Love?

By angeldawn09

At first glance, Wendell Chestna appears as a beautiful prince whose presence will enchant others while dashi... More

Introduction
Stickers/Comments
Character Profiles
Locations
Chapter 1: The Deal
Chapter 2: A Test Of Greed
Chapter 3: Creating Frederick
Chapter 5: A Painful Reality
Chapter 6: New Friendship
Chapter 7: Time Of Blissful Days
Chapter 8: Love In The Air?
Chapter 9: Power To Protect
Chapter 10: Surprising Reunion
Chapter 11: Don't Give In!
Chapter 12: Managing The Double Life
Chapter 13: One Special Request
Chapter 14: Two Sides Of The Same Coin
Chapter 15: In Pursuit Of The Truth
Chapter 16: A Parents' Tender Gift
Chapter 17: Broken Vows
Chapter 18: True Beauty
Chapter 19: The Struggles With Love
Chapter 20: Complicated Feelings
Chapter 21: Runaway
Chapter 22: Family Matters
Chapter 23: What The Future Holds
Chapter 24: Until That Day
Chapter 25: Does Love Have A Price?
Chapter 26: Stealing Their Hearts
Chapter 27: Fight For Peace
Chapter 28: A Noble Sacrifice
Chapter 29: The Aftermath
Chapter 30: Wish Upon A Star
Chapter 31: Regret
Chapter 32: What Her Heart Values Most
Chapter 33: His One True Love
Chapter 34: Start Of A New Heir
Chapter 35: Wedding Day
Epilogue
Q&A
Shoutouts And Ending Note

Chapter 4: At First Dance

133 39 291
By angeldawn09

Wendell

It's dusk as the family of three dressed in blue and white apparel enter the ballroom. The maids had quite the hassle to even get his sister dressed, though he can't exactly blame her. Wearing tight stuffy clothes for the sake of making a good impression is bothersome. Luckily after warning he wouldn't take her to Versace unless she behaves, the girl complied.

Having a look around the place has been decked in turquoise and gold with tables set up along the sides. Musicians get ready towards the back having a long night ahead of them, while cooks carry fresh dishes to satisfy their guests' appetites. Tonight is the first time throwing an event since the war, so it's no surprise the queen went all out.

Despite the festivities, Wendell is left distracted given the bombshell his mother dropped on him earlier. Informed at the last minute his fiancee will be attending, and news of their future marriage released to the public. The deal stands but he isn't prepared to meet Blanche this soon.

I wonder what type of person she is and if meddling parents forced the girl into our engagement... Moreover, I need to be careful that neither the agreement nor Kana's name should slip my tongue.

As different guests arrive the prince begins welcoming some on their personal invite listing. He must break free of his comfort zone ruling over the country in three short months. Greeting the minor households is far less nerve-wracking, though it's rather uncommon for higher social groups to mix. This is a rare ball opened to all dwellers and the remaining families present aren't noble class. Hailing from different parts of the kingdom on a first-come, first-served basis until they hit capacity.

It is unexpected when none other than the Kensun's happily come to greet him. Not so much of a shocker that their son chose to stay home; his rival wouldn't be caught dead at a palace ball. The middle-aged woman showers Wendell with praise that, though flattering, is a tad embarrassing. These two are far kinder than the prince imagined--given Oliver's rude behavior, and reminding them he must greet other guests, the married pair goes off to find a table.

It doesn't take very long before the room grows full, but a particular silhouette dazzles among the rest. The beauty gazing out of the glass window reflects her afro hair done up in a neat bun. She wears an elegant yellow gown decorated with ribbons, plus a beaded necklace to match. His feet change direction instantaneously and noticing him she gives the usual bow.

"Oh, good evening, Your Highness."

Stopping in front of Kana, the height difference between them is more noticeable with her in heels. "You look absolutely marvelous under the moonlight."

"T-Thank you, Lucille was kind enough to lend me a dress of hers... It must feel nice holding a ball again after the constant stress of war has ended. Everyone here is in much better spirits, including yourself."

Since his father was killed it's been a major adjustment more than words can explain. Late King Gus marks the first death of such a close relative, and even knowing he perished in honor didn't help ease their grief. In a way, the tragic incident has brought him and his younger sibling closer together. Although he painfully realizes the rift between his strict mother remains unchanged. She might've allowed the prince to select a fitting bride, but her hectic schedule shortens the little quality time they spend.

"I am doing much better now. It is difficult at times but we're pulling through the tough parts. I hope things will truly get back to normal since we're at peace."

Just then a soft classical piece begins to play, being the initial song to start the night off. Many people couple up to partake in the romantic atmosphere by dancing this slow waltz. Wendell doesn't waste the opportunity before him as he extends a hand to her.

"Well M'lady, may I have this dance?"

"Why of course you can," Kana consents, with a gentle smile.

The prince leads Kana out to the center and assists in properly positioning her arms. When set the pair gradually moves step by step alongside the relaxing tune of the piano. She is a tad wobbly on her feet but his firm grip around the waist prevents any stumbling.

"Sorry if my timing is off-key. I'm not very used to walking, furthermore dancing in high heels," she apologizes with an awkward chuckle. "My height must be adding to this off balance."

"It's quite alright. You're doing well so far... I know it's not possible for me to recall every face I come across. Still, have you attended one of our balls that are open to the public?"

Perhaps it only seems this way because he is already smitten with her, but Kana gives off a shine like someone whose mere presence would draw attention.

"Yes, just once when I was little. It's honestly a blur though I do remember dancing to an upbeat song with my dad. After that, we never went to another palace ball until now. Living back in Aniex was a farther trip to the capital, so they chose to skip out and focus on their work," she answers, the prince giving her a small spin.

It's hard to imagine if Kana hadn't moved to Rainswood she would be absent from this event. Further yet he couldn't have ever crossed paths with the girl while working that snowy sunset. Wendell can't exactly be happy about their financial troubles, though he does feel blessed to share this special moment with her tonight.

"I suppose since you've nearly forgotten your first ball I need to make this night a memorable one," he whispers, the brunette averting her gaze.

"I'm positive any girl who dances with a charming royal would be whisked away and granted precious dreams."

These are the last words she utters before they continue in peaceful silence. Kana might be a novice dancer but their movements occur perfectly synced. Regardless of the crowd surrounding them, Wendell's gaze stays locked on the beautiful girl in his embrace.

She smells like roses and is quite light on her feet to lack experience. I'm glad I had the nerve to ask Kana to dance with me. I wish the song didn't have to cease so shortly...

The music grows softer as he gives her one final dip at the exact time it ends, yet not too far so he doesn't lose his hold on the taller partner. Staring directly into each other's eyes causes his already pounding heart to accelerate. Wendell promptly lifts Kana upright and stumbles backward tugging at his collar.

"Ahem, I thought you said you were a novice dancer."

The prince's voice is far quieter than he anticipated and hopes his blush isn't obvious.

"Oh, please don't flatter me! I was simply following your lead. Can't count how frequent I fell when practicing this on my own... I'm delighted you asked me to dance," Kana adds sweetly, bringing a smile to his face.

"No, the pleasure was mine."

"Why hello, Wendell, Kana. You two clearly are enjoying the night to the fullest."

The heartfelt mood is interrupted as a certain dwarf wears a teasing smirk.

"S-Saelufu?! How long have you been standing here?" he sputters, never accustomed to his friend popping up out of nowhere more often than Oliver.

"A good minute for you both failing to notice me."

Saelufu picked a dark red and purple off-the-shoulder gown to flaunt which shows more of her beige skin. Her chestnut hair is pulled in a fancy ponytail to the side and similar gloves cover her tiny hands.

"Wow you look nice, Saelufu," Kana compliments, causing the girl to run fingers through her hair.

"Well, you guys know I don't care for this girly style. Still, I can put in the effort when necessary."

"...I guess Frederick wasn't able to come then," she adds, and the two friends exchange glances. Given Frederick is supposed to stay with the Evan family they would have all arrived together.

"Yeah, he didn't feel comfortable since this is such a formal event. Frederick will be here for a few weeks, so maybe he'll attend the next activity."

"Oh, that makes sense. I hope he isn't bored alone back at the house."

Kana doesn't sound too fazed by his absence though the new student is currently a stranger to her. It won't be easy to do a switcheroo at celebrations like these, but he cannot have Frederick skip out on every single event.

The trio doesn't get the chance to change topics before the whole place falls silent. His mother takes a stand on the balcony across from them now prepared to give her welcoming speech. In seconds people grab a seat clearing the floor as they hurriedly do the same.

"I'm very grateful to everyone who was able to make it here tonight. So many of us have lost precious relatives and friends because of the gruesome war. I believe my late husband would've been filled with joy to witness the stability his sacrifice has brought this nation..."

The queen goes quiet for a moment to collect herself causing his mood to sadden. It must be an enormous amount of stress on his grieving mother to rule over the entire kingdom. Wendell wishes he can grow into someone worthy to take her place when the time comes.

"As our laws instruct, my son Wendell will obtain the throne three months from now. It's customary that a banquet is held to find him a suitable wife, however, there is one already decided for him to marry. The daughter of a Quincy noble family, Blanche Valenta will be arriving shortly."

Hushed whispers pass amongst the guests at her big revelation. Some claim they predicted this outcome while others are left in complete shock. Housewives even begin to spread gossip not far from earshot.

"The young prince is marrying this early? His banquet wasn't supposed to be until another three years."

"I heard about that spoiled girl. Her parents will buy just about anything she very well pleases. They're from a neighboring country moving here recently," The middle-aged woman mutters in disgust, and a blonde nearby tilts her head.

"Obviously an arranged marriage of sorts but for whatever reason?"

"I can't believe he has a set bride. So much for my daughter attending the banquet," Another man grumbles, and Wendell releases a sigh.

This was told to the public, despite our deal, so noble families would quit hounding to have names put on the marriage banquet list. Still, this reaction is almost as troublesome as people begging to be a suitress.

Althelia clears her throat instantly ending all chatter. "As my final note, I'm well aware of the drastic state Rainswood has had since the ferocious battle. There are issues still being dealt with but afterward repairing those damages will be my first priority. Thank you for putting your continuous trust in our lineage, and I hope you enjoy the rest of the night."

With that, the next song plays, and people return to their own business. Though the prince is more than a little taken aback by his mother's last words. Whenever was Rainswood blown into ruins and why wasn't he informed about this sooner?

"Hard to believe your engagement is public knowledge now," Saelufu mumbles.

"That's not the issue. Kana, what did my mother mean about Rainswood?" The ash-blonde turns to her for answers, and she drops her head low.

"Naturally, heated battles don't always stay put in the valleys. During their face-off, the fighting drew back towards our village, and cannon fire rained down on us--our homes. People were able to evacuate safely but major damage happened to their houses. That...affecting mine too."

"I had no idea... So, how come neither of you ever mentioned this incident to me?" Wendell acquires next, and both girls' mouths seal shut confirming his deduction. He can tell by the dwarf's calm attitude alone she has already known about this whole affair. Therefore, he is the single person left outside of the loop.

"Don't be upset with Saelufu. I'm the one who told her not to say anything. It's just...my house may not be in the best shape but you lost far more that day. I didn't want to pile on even greater stress while your family was still mourning. I figured the town gossip would reach your ears eventually."

Hearing such a genuine explanation causes his rising concerns to dissipate. They weren't keeping this a secret because she hadn't felt comfortable to share with him. Instead, Kana acted as a consoling friend to the boy who lost his father and shoved her own problems aside. A mixture of warmth and ache swells up inside the prince's chest.

"Kana, I admire your good intentions, but I desire to express the mutual support you've gifted me these past months." Without thinking he tenderly clasps her right hand. This action has the brunette blush slightly with a determined spark in his ocean eyes. "Please, escort me to see the destruction for myself. I need to know how much you have all suffered as a result of the war."

"...Okay, I'll show you around tomorrow evening."

Just what type of living conditions are they struggling through, and why haven't any actions been taken?

"Since that's settled, I'm starving! Let's eat away to our hearts' content!" Saelufu breaks the heavy air wrapping her arms around them both. He shouldn't press Kana about her rough situation when the ball is a temporary escape from her troubles. Dropping this topic, he follows the dwarf to the buffet table covered with delicious food.

The worry about such upsetting news aside, the prince is still able to have a wonderful time among his friends. Unfortunately, Kana is stuck having to leave before midnight with an early day tomorrow. Not as soon as she disappears out the door that a distinct family of five walks in. They head straight toward his mother and a waiter calls the boy over.

Two of the members seem to have sat down at a nearby table while only three remain. The nobleman humbly apologizes for their delay and then turns to Wendell. He sets his hands upon the shoulders of a teen girl with a large smile planted on her face.

"This is my beautiful daughter, Blanche Valenta. She's been very excited to finally meet you, Your Highness."

"At last I get to see my fiance in person!" she squeals quite loudly, gaining a few glances.

The petite girl has indigo curly hair flowing far down her back, and her large amethyst eyes hold a certain twinkle. Choosing to dress in a rather tight dark blue dress decorated with a golden flower print he believes didn't come cheap.

"Prince of Calestra, Wendell Chestna. It's nice to make your acquaintance, Blanche."

"There are several things we have yet to discuss about this arrangement. Why don't we let them warm up with one another while we chat?" The woman who he is assuming to be her mother suggests.

"They certainly can. Please entertain her well, Wendell," The queen instructs him before leading the couple to a secluded area for more privacy.

Now awkwardly leaving the two alone he gestures toward a free table. "Why don't we have a seat?"

Even when sitting down the weird tension at least on his side remains. It's odd to suddenly meet the stranger he will be forced to marry if this deal goes south. Not exactly sure where to initiate conversation, he starts with a basic question.

"Um, how old are you, Blanche?"

"Just a year under yourself though your birthday is fast approaching."

So sixteen then...

"I've done my research and know tons about you already, My Prince. Thus, I strongly encourage you to ask me whatever you wish."

"Your parents set up this arrangement, did they not?"

His question rolls right off the tongue--and although direct--he is curious who desired their engagement.

"Nope, actually I proposed our union."

"What?!"

This loud reaction earns him a couple of odd glances as the prince slowly retakes his chair. He really needs to learn some control when expressing his emotions. Still, Wendell wasn't prepared for that straightforward response.

"B-But why would you want to marry someone you haven't even courted?"

"...I forever have gathered information about other kingdoms assisting my father's line of work. It was a delight to discover our neighboring country had a prince near my age. This peaked my interest so I extended the research between talking to tourists and reading books on life here. Sharing plenty in common with each other, I could tell we were just destined to join together. You'll realize later days how true my words are, plus Calestra will reap allies once we tie the knot. It's a win-win situation if I say so myself."

The prince can hardly process what convinced her of such an outlandish scenario. If he calls this wedding off it shouldn't induce any guilt as the noble girl holds zero affection for him. She's only deceiving herself to accept these lies when simply interested in his status and riches. Now a tad annoyed, reminding him of selfish people he has come across time and time again.

Honestly, she's just no different from everybody else...

"So I heard you moved here from Quincy?" Wendell flatly questions, trying to divert the subject from their marriage and she nods.

"Yes, this was my first time entering Calestra. I relocated with my parents including my aunt and cousin who are currently staying in our new home. We've only settled in a week ago so there's much I've yet to explore."

"For what purpose did your family make this sudden move? Was it intended or..."

"No, I had to leave Quincy behind to meet my future husband. Though these kingdoms are neighboring each other, all of that travel is a hassle. Besides, anyone could use a change of scenery after a while," she innocently answers.

She speaks as if her whole family changing location to a foreign kingdom is an easy task.

This might be hypocritical coming from a prince and all but the boy is understanding the comments about her being spoiled. Never has any parents he's known would go to these extreme lengths just to please their daughter. Regardless, Blanche marrying into a royal family will be beneficial for more than just her alone.

"My father and mother plan to return home when I move into the castle. I must say, I've visited every village in Quincy numerous times, but nothing quite equals the beauty found here."

"I see, I'm glad Everlane is to your liking."

"I can hardly wait to absorb more of what this castle and the capital have to offer. Oh, you must give me a grand tour soon enough!"

Her amethyst eyes sparkling in anticipation makes it rather difficult to refuse.

"O-Of course, on a later date."

Interrupting their conversation an alluring tempo fills his ears with guests standing up to dance. His fiancee tugs at his sleeve quite eagerly, her gaze fixed on the open floor. It's clear what Blanche urges of him next, and he is in no position to decline her request.

"I love the tango! We should dance as a celebration of our first meeting. How about it?"

"...Alright." Getting dragged by Blanche to the middle, they follow at the quick pace of the captivating music. She is standing so close Wendell's afraid he may accidentally step on her feet. Although he can perceive that the girl has taken her fair amount of dance lessons.

"You're the sole individual who has managed to keep up rather than slow me down. We've even aligned with the colors selected to wear for this occasion. I suppose these are all signs that we're meant to be."

"Anyone who has completed the strict lessons I have would master the tango without a stumble. Additionally, I didn't pick my outfit but my mother for us to match as a family."

"I understand you're still not convinced but there are works of fate. I'm saying an invisible red thread is connecting you and me," she counters, with a confident smile.

Blanche is a talented noble lady, and I'm sure dance isn't the only area of expertise. Rumors of her beauty even prove to be truthful, but she will never move my heart the way Kana does...

When the dance is finished they go back to their table as the musicians' final song plays. Rejoining the others, their discussion seems to have been wrapped up and her parents give the queen yet another elegant bow.

"Thank you for speaking with us on such short notice. We shall be heading out now."

"I appreciate what you're doing, Gregory. Travel safe on your ride home to Everlane. I look forward to our next meeting when there is an opening in my busy schedule."

"The ball is unfortunately at an end. Since we arrived late the period passed by like the blink of an eye. The prince and I were having the most splendid time too."

"Sorry Sweetie, you'll get the chance to see him again soon. Please say your goodbyes and come meet us near the front gate. I'll inform my sister and Justus we're ready to leave." The woman vanishes within the crowd, and Blanche's lips curve into her first frown all night.

"I suppose we must part ways though this short introduction has gone better than I anticipated. Do remember the promise you made me about our second date here. Until then, I bid you farewell." The girl bear hugs him tightly before he has a chance to react. Wendell can't return the gesture if he wanted, given his body is incapable of moving a muscle. Thankfully, her father intervenes practically prying his fiancee off with a bit of a struggle.

The family finally takes their exit with her continuing to shout flowery words of affection until she's out the door. Once Blanche is gone the prince releases a sigh he didn't realize he was holding in. That noble girl is quite the handful but on a more crucial note, his thoughts drift to plans for tomorrow.

Kana promised to show me around Rainswood at twilight. I should rest up and get my duties finished early so I don't keep her waiting. I just pray the damage isn't as bad as I'm imagining it to be...

A/N Another chapter at its end. How do you feel about Blanche's character? Some action will take place next udate^^

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

19.7K 2.1K 45
Book Two of Lost in the Castle Trilogy (Book Three is on the WATTYS 2022 SHORTLIST) THE AMBY AWARDS 2022 WINNER (Best Series) Samara, separated from...
7.9M 327K 153
*Book 1 in the Soulmates Series* 🎖Featured Reading Lists: •@Wattpad's Editor's Pick & Spring Cleaning •@TeenFiction Soul Deep •@WattpadRoyals Fantas...
22.4K 3.7K 61
[The Wattys 2021 Shortlisted Finalist] One case, two detectives, three friends, and a thousand emotions. Sometimes nothing is a coincidence, but th...
96.7K 1.4K 11
*Completed* *Unedited* *10 chapters available for read* [This is a spin-off of 'A Sacrifice To Remember' but can be read as a stand alone] **** When...