Chemical and Physical Changes...

By xoandexo

Max Carters is the least popular kid in school. Zach Larson is the most popular guy in school. When they get... More

Intro/Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15

Chapter 8

8.8K 215 37
By xoandexo

Chapter 8

The school day finally ended and it’s a Friday so that a good thing. Friday is like the crazy day. Because everyone is so happy and so ready for the weekend. To be honest some people get too crazy that it is the weekend. I go to my locker and head to my car. From a distance I see Zach leaning next to my car. He beat me to the car? Maybe he’s just happy it’s Friday. “Wow, you are actually out here sooner then me.” I start to laugh. We get in the car and start driving to the Coffee shop. He turns on the radio and browse through the stations. “Did I say you can touch that?” I ask while looking at his hand and back at him. “Well, I am touching the radio.” Zach replied. Then he stops on a station. The station is playing Break the rules by Charlie XCX. “I don’t want to go to school I just want to break the rules.” He started to sing. I started laughing. “What is it?” He asked. “You can’t sing at all.” I started to laugh again. He started to sing some more. I started to sing along as well. Oh my god…. What is going on? He is acting like a total different person. Zach is acting really freaking weird. But I think I like this Zach. This Zach is nicer. We finally made it to the coffee shop and we got out and sat in the same place as we did yesterday. “What if this seat was taken what would you do?” I asked. “Well I would find another seat.” Zach responds. I started to laugh. “Ok, so did you think about how we are going to do this project?” I asked. “No…..” He started to laugh. “Come on, you have to take this seriously.” I demanded. “Chemistry is my worst subject ever. Literally.” Responded Zach. “Well, I’ll teach you some stuff and so it will help you with a better understanding of this project.” I responded. “Well first I’m getting something to eat because I’m hungry.” He gets up and goes up to the counter and orders two bagels and two drinks. Zach walks over and hands me a bagel and a drink. “EW I hate bagels.” I shouted. “You do?” He asked awkwardly. “No.” I started laughing sarcastically. “Not funny.” He frowned. I begin to tell him some terms and definitions that will help him better understand the project. While I was talking I see him out of the corner of my eye staring at me with this look again. He stares at me as if he found love in all the wrong places. I kept talking, then he grabs my face and turns my head to his. We stare at each other for a few seconds. Oh god, this can’t be happening. Do I just let him kiss me? Or do I slap him and run away? My brain starts going crazy. He leans in and kisses me. We kissed for a couple seconds and I lean back and we stared into each other’s eyes. His eyes are Blue like the sky. He has the eyes you fall in love with just looking at him. Then I lean in and kiss him. It was like the whole world shut down and it was nothing but us. Things were going through my mind I have no idea what was happening.  Then he stops. In an instant he says, “I’m sorry I have to go.” He grabs his stuff and runs out of the coffee shop. I don’t know what happen. I don’t know what to think. I just watch him run out. My mind is shooting bullets everywhere. Why did he run out if he wanted to kiss me? If anything, I should have ran out. I stayed in the coffee shop for a couple more minutes trying to figure out what just happened. I grab my stuff and head out to my car. I put my keys into the door to unlock it when someone grabs my arm and turns me around. It’s Zach. He grab’s my face, leans in and kisses me instantly. We stand there for a few minutes kissing. I hear nothing nor see nothing. I just feel my lips touching his. Our lips glide along each other’s like it is meant to be. I stop and said, “I need to get going. Do you need a ride home?” He immediately responds, “Yes please.” He walks around the car and gets in. I start up the car and drive off. I’m speechless. I don’t know what to say or do. “You know I thought you left.” I mumble nervously. “I did, but I turned back around.” He responded. “What if someone from school seen us do that?” I ask. “I don’t care.” He smiles and grabs my hand. My heart starts beating rapidly, my mind starts going a thousand miles an hour, and my stomach feels like a butterfly sanctuary. We got to his house and I pushed the car in park. He reaches over and kisses me. I kiss him back then I push away. “What if your dad, mom, or sister sees us?” I ask. “I told you, I don’t care what anyone has to say.” He smiled. I smiled back. “Is your dad out of the hospital?” He asked. “He should be.” I replied. “Do you want to hang tomorrow?” He asked nervously. “Yeah, I would like that.” I smiled. He kissed me goodnight and I drove off.

I drove a couple streets down and stopped then screamed in excitement and joy. I lay my head on the stirring wheel while smiling. I drive off to go to home. I can’t get Zach out of my mind. I still have butterflies. This is so insane. Out of all people, I would never think this would happen. I got home and parked the car in the driveway. Dad’s car is gone so that means he is back and getting drunk again. I go into the kitchen and cook me some pizza rolls and Head up to my room. I then dial Carmen’s number.    “Hey booboo” Said Carmen. “You can’t believe just happened.” I yelled. “Omg calm down what happened?” She asked. “Well, I was at the coffee shop with Zach, I was talking and seen him staring at me out of the corner of my eye. Then, he grabs my face. And we kissed. Like I had no idea what was going on. Then we pull away from each other. We then stared at one another and then I kissed him.” I responded in excitement. “WHAT? OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!” She yelled through the phone. I pulled my phone back from my ear while she was screaming. She kept screaming for ages. “Oh my god shut up. Say something.” I demanded. “I’m sorry, I’m crying in excitement right now.” She said sobbing. “You know the best part of it was?” I asked. “What’s that?” She responded. “I asked him what if someone seen us, his friends or his family and he said he didn’t care!” I shouted. “OH MY GOD!!!!! I so did not see him saying that!” She yelled back. “I know!” I shouted. “I had no Idea he was gay though. That so threw me off guard.” She laughed. “So does that mean he is going to hold your hand and stuff in school? Or he doesn’t want the popularity to end?” She asked. “He said he didn’t care so I guess. I don’t know.” I responded. “I got to go.” I added. “Ok, see you later.” Carmen responds. I hung up the phone and took a shower.

I lay in my bed with a look of affection on my face .I stayed smiling and stared at the ceiling until I fell asleep.

Then sun rises from the east and I wake up half past 7. I go take a shower then head down stairs for breakfast. I see my dad is still no home. He must be passed out somewhere again. “Ding Ding” I look down at my phone and it was a text message from Zach. “You are letting me drive today. I want to take you somewhere. Somewhere where I used to go when I needed a breather.” He Demanded. You are not driving my car. You have no License. I replied. That boy must be crazy. He got his license taken. If we get pulled over, my license could be too. “Come on. Let me take you out on a real date, instead of a fake one that we pretend that we are working on a chemistry project.” He responded. “Fine, but no speeding.” I texted back. I go upstairs and get ready to leave for the day when I hear the door open. I head downstairs and hear my dad cussing at himself. The sign of that means he had tons and tons of to drink last night and he got kicked out. “WHERE IS MY BREAKFAST DAMMIT? I SMELL FOOD!” He started to shout. I peak down stairs and see where he was at and I see him through the kitchen then he heads into the bathroom. I hurry downstairs and head out the front door slowly. I hop into the car and drive off. I wonder where he is taking me. It better be nowhere nice because it’s too early and I so did not dress for the occasion. I and Zach actually live somewhat close to each other. Just a couple blocks over. I wonder if our moms planned that out. I pull into his driveway. And wait until he comes out. Should I go to the door? I thought I have no idea what to do. I just get out and go to the door and ring the doorbell. “Max, what a wonderful surprise.” Smiled Mrs. Larson. “Hi Mrs. Larson is Zach around?” Please we are not at school right now, call me Cheryl. And yes, come in. I’ll go get him. Please make your self at home. Said Cheryl. I walk into the living room and see his little sister sitting on the couch. “Hi Max.” Said Maya while she turned around. “How do you know my name?” I asked. I know everything about cute boys. She replied. Thanks, I guess. I said in an awkward tone. “What are you watching?” I asked. “Degrassii Marathon.” She responds. “I didn’t know people still watched that.” I replied. “Well you don’t know anything then Max.” She said sarcastically. Now I know where Zach gets his cockiness from. Does it run in the family or something? Like dang. I thought. “Hey you ready?” Asked Zach. “Yeah, let’s go.” I responded. “Where you guys going?” Asked Cheryl. “I’m taking Max to a somewhere that I don’t know yet.” Responded Zach. His Sister turns her head really fast and she started to stare. Cheryl is quiet for a few seconds then she says, “Ok have fun.” When we start to walk out of the house she adds, “Max, Don’t get my son in any trouble.” I laugh. And say “I won’t.” He whispers, “Just drive a couple houses down and I’ll take your spot.” Should I let him drive? Or will that be a mistake? I get in the car and back out of the drive way. I drive a few houses down and got out and switched places. “Don’t get pulled over.” I demanded. “No promises.” He promised. He grabs the Gear and goes into drive. “So where are you taking me anyways?” I asked. “Just sit back and watch Maxwell.” He laughed. I turn to him and stared at him with an anguish esteem look on my face. “What is it?” He asked nervously. “I told you to never call me that.” I responded in anguish. He raises an eyebrow and smiles. We got up on the highway and the wind starts blowing through the windows like a nice windy day. He reaches over, grabs my hand and holds it. I smile and look out the window. He turns on the radio and turns to the same station as yesterday. Habits (Stay high) by Tove Lo comes on. 30 minutes go by and still driving. “Ok, are you going to tell me where we are going?” I asked. “I told you, it is a surprise.” He responded. A couple minutes later we go over a bridge onto some island it looks like. The sign up ahead reads “Edisto Island” Oh be damn, he is taking me to the beach. Should I say something or act surprised when we get there? I wondered. “Oh, so we are going to the beach I see.” I laugh. “We are. I’m glad you have eyes.” He responds. “But before we do go I have to stop somewhere first.” He adds. “And where is that?” I ask. “My grandmas, I asked her to do something for me.” He replies. Oh dear god he is taking me to his grandmas. I have to meet his grandparents. This should be fun. We pull into this long driveway and come up to this big gate. He pushed the buzzer and a man comes on the speaker. “Can I help you?” Asked the man. “Hey Charles its Zach.” Zach responded. “Zach, what a pleasant surprise.” Said Charles. The gate started to open and beneath the trees there is this huge beach house on top of a hill. “You didn’t tell me your grandma was rich.” I questioned. “She isn’t. She killed her rich husband for this.” “What?!” I yelled. “I’m kidding.” Laughed Zach.” Plus, your mom used to stay here with my mom in the summer.” Zach added. “Really?” I ask. “Yes.” He smiled. We got out of the car and head up these long stairs up to the house. Before we make it to the door, it opens. “Zachary, darling. How are you?” Asked his grandma. “I’m good, and this is….” He started to say and she interrupted. “I know who he is. He looks just like his mother.” She smiles and hugs me. “Zachary, your mother called. She knew you were coming here today.”  “What? Did you tell her?” He asked. “No, of course not. But mothers know things. That’s why she knew you were coming here.” She responded. “Max, Darling. I want to show you your mother’s room when she used to stay here.” She grabs my hand and pulls me up the stairs. I turn my head around and Zach whispers “sorry.” She opens a door on the right and it had pictures of her and her friends when she was younger. “I never let anyone stay in here. This was always your mother’s room. She would hate me if I let someone else stay in here.” She laughed.

I walk into the room and pick up a picture of my mom and dad. I haven’t seen my dad that happy in so long. “You know something; my dad is a drunk and hasn’t been that happy for a long time. Ever since mom died he started to drink. Then he drinks more and more until he gets mad.” I tell her nervously. “I can see that. Your father didn’t know what to do without her. Your mother changed him. He used to be a bad kid. Get high, get drunk, do drugs. Everything. She did something to him and he became a good kid. I don’t know how she did it. I wish I could have done that to the men I have dated in the past. It could have saved a lot of money in divorces. That’s for sure.” She responded. I smiled and browse through some more stuff that was in her room.

“Are you and Zach couple?” She asked. I froze. What do I say? I don’t want to say anything I shouldn’t. “Yes, Grandma we are.” Zach came in and interrupted. “Your father may not approve of that Zach. He is a pastor.” She responded. “I don’t care. It’s my life grandma.” Zach replied. “So are you ready?” He added. “Yeah, let’s go.” I responded. “Thanks for gathering the stuff I needed grandma.” He gives her a kiss on the cheek and walks down stairs. “I’ll see you soon Max. Take care. Oh and Get your father to stop drinking.” She smiles. I head down stairs and try to find where Zach went. He comes up from behind and grabs my waist. He wraps his arms around my waist and kisses my neck. “Let’s go.” He said and kissed my cheek. He grabs my hand and we walk down the stairs to the car. “So what stuff did you get?” I ask. “You’ll see.” He smiles. We get into the car and drive off. We could have stayed here. I mean the beach is right there. But he wants to take me somewhere else where he used to go to. We drive a couple of miles and finally make it to the beach. The sun is where it is getting brighter because in a couple hours the sun goes down. There is no one at the beach. You can’t hear nothing but the seagulls and the waves crashing into shore. He gets out and rushes over to the other side. He opens my door, and grabs my hand. “Let’s go.” He demands. We start running to the ocean. “What about my clothes?” I ask. “I got spare.” He smiles. “Is this your way of trying to get me naked?” I ask. “Of course not baby.” He winks and reaches for my hand. We run to the ocean and jump in. The wave’s crash against our bodies and a drift of the sand goes through the waves. He wraps his arms around me and spins me around. My heart feels like its going to fall into the ocean. I push him into the ocean and I swim away. He gets up and catches up to me. He grabs my leg and pulls me back to him. He picks me up and looks me into the eye and kisses me. All I can hear is my heart beating and beating faster and faster. I push away and swim back to shore. I can hear him swimming from the behind. “You know you are not faster then me jock.” I yelled. I make it back to shore and take off my wet shirt. He stares at my body for a few seconds and says, “I’m sure I can run faster than a nerd.” He raised his eyebrow. “Let’s go then”. I demanded. We line up and I yelled go. I start out slow and then I pick up the speed. I past Zach and started getting faster. I kept running and running and Zach catches up then he tackles me. I fall on my back and he lands on top of me. He pulls my hands back and lays them in the sand with his hands on top of mine. The sand stars to glide along our hands. We stare at each other for the longest time and I reach up and kiss him. The kiss was so passionate and irresistible. He got up and helps me up. “You know, you said we are a couple to your grandma right?” I ask. “I did?” He asked. I grab his shoulder and turn him around. “I like the sound of that.” I replied and kissed him. He wraps his arms around my waist. “I like the sound of that too.” He replies. We walk back to where we laid our stuff and sat down. “Can I ask you something?” I ask nervously. “Yeah, anything.” He replies. “Am I going to be kept a secret at school?” I looked down. He grabs my face and looks at me straight in the eye and says, “I will only come out with you. If you are ready then I’m ready. I don’t care about some popularity. I only care about you.” He smiles. “My friend Carmen, I told her I would come out with her.” I respond. “Wait she’s lesbian?” He asked in shock. “Yes.” I replied and started to laugh. “Well I did not see that coming.” He responds. “No one saw you coming.” I laughed. The sun starts to drop lower and lower. The wind gets slower and the waves get smaller.

I actually get to see the sunset from the beach. I thought. I look over to the side and see Zach is spreading out a blanket. He sits on the blanket and tells me to come here. I got up and sat down between his legs. He wraps his arms around me and says, “Let’s watch the sunset.” I reach up and hold his arms while they are wrapped around me. Every time he talks or kisses me, my stomach feels like butterflies going everywhere. I lean my head back onto his chest, and he kisses my forehead. The sun starts going down faster and faster. The sun starts to get brighter and starts changing from yellow to orange. The sky turns red and pink. The colors mixed together and it looks amazing. I look out into the horizon and it looked like the earth just dropped over the line. But in reality the earth keeps going and going. “I wonder what’s out there. Farther then here.” I said. “A future, people that we don’t know. Ones that probably don’t care what others think and they act their self.” He frowns. The sun finally goes away, and then it is dark. “We should have made a fire.” I questioned. “No worries I got it covered.” He goes walking with a flashlight and then I couldn’t see him. “Where is he going?” I thought. Couple minutes go by and still nothing. I began to worry. “Zach!” I yelled. I got up and head to the direction he went. Zach! I yelled again. I hear something behind me. I turn really fast. “Hello?” I ask frightened. “BOO!” Zach grabs my shoulder and I became so frightened, I punched him in the stomach. “Oh my god, I’m so sorry are you ok?” I asked. “I didn’t know a nerd got such a hell of a punch on him.” He responds while coughing. “I’m sorry.” I say nervously. “Don’t be. I was only kidding. He starts to laugh. “I hate you so much.” I say sarcastically. “Well, hate is a very strong word.” He says and comes closer to kiss me. “Come on, we better get going home.” He says. “Why don’t we stay here?” I ask. “You mean sleep on the beach?” He responds. “Yeah, watch the sunrise if we don’t fall asleep. Which we probably will. So oh well.” I laugh. “Well, you are going to have to go to church with me then because I have to be there every Sunday.” He smiles. “But, I haven’t been to church since before my mother died.” I pointed out. “It’s ok, you’ll sit with me.” He responds. I don’t answer and turn around and start walking towards the ocean. The last time I have been to church was right before my mom got sick. I can’t do this. I can’t go and have those memories again. I finally got over her from all those years and I can’t start thinking about her again. I was depressed for years and years. But who knows maybe it will be for comfort. And a way to get over her. I thought. Zach comes up from behind me and hugs me. “You know, you don’t have to go. I would just like for you to go. For me.” He says. “What would your father say if he sees us?” I ask. “God loves everyone for who they are. The faster he learns that, a better preacher he will be.” He says. “Come on lets go watch the stars.” He adds. He grabs my hand and head towards the blanket. He lays down and I lye next to him. “Hey, there is a shooting star, make a wish.” I said. “I wish….” He started to say. “Don’t say your wish out loud! Then it won’t come true.” I interrupted. He lays his arm out to the side and I scoot over and lay my head on his chest. I can hear his heart beating through my face. “You hear that?” He asks. “Hear what?” I questioned. “My heart. How hard it is beating, how fast it is beating, and that’s because of you.” He responds. I smile and look towards the stars. He grabs another blanket and covers us up. My eyes start to shut. Then I try to open them. But soon, I finally fell asleep.

“Beep, Beep, Beep, Beep, Beep.” My phone alarm clock starts to go off and I awaken.

“Hey come on, if we are going to make it to church on time then we better get going.” I say. We package up the stuff and head out. I’m driving this time. I demanded. “Oh my god, I have 20 missed calls from my mom and my dad.” He responds. Then we better drive fast. I frowned.

We make it to the church in under an hour. Amazing timing with my driving.

“You ready?” He asks. “I don’t know if I can do this.” I respond. I start getting nervous. “We will do this together. We will walk in together.” He responds. “Ok….” I reply and get out of the car. “You know your friends are in here, right?” I questioned. “I know.” He says. He reaches over and grabs my hand. “Let’s do this.” He responds. We walk towards the church and you can hear people whispering. My heart starts to race rapidly. People are staring and talking. “What in the world are you doing son?” He walks out to the door of the church. “You’ve met Max, dad.” He smiles. “You are not coming into my church with him. You either leave Max, or both of you leave.” He demanded. “Hey don’t be foolish. They are welcome in god’s home, just as anyone else.” Says Cheryl. “Come on boys.” She demanded. She walks us to their seat and we sat down. I look over and see Zach’s group whispering and looking over. Zach’s father walks over and says, “We are talking after church. Got it?” He says in peer anguish. I haven’t seen anyone this mad since my father has been mad when he drunk. He walks up to the podium and looks at me. I looked down awkwardly.

The church service ends and we stayed sitting. Everyone walks out and he closes the doors. “Now tell me what in the world is going on.” He shouted. “Dad, I and Max are a couple. And I couldn’t be happier. Even though we hated each other a week ago. I feel like I loved him for ever. And you should be happy for me. God doesn’t judge others. He loves everyone just the way they are. I’m happy for who I am and so is he. The more you accept that, the better of a preacher you will be.” Zach says abruptly. It sounds like he has been practicing that speech all week. I see Zach’s mom smile. Something is up with her I thought.  “God doesn’t like someone like you. You will go to hell for this.” Zach’s father shouted. “Keep, telling yourself that dad. Because in reality, you’ll be the one going to hell for discriminating.” Zach responds. Zach’s father raises his hand to slap him, before he does I reach up and grab his arm and block him. “That is a huge mistake you would make Mr. Larson.” I said. He looks at me with a look in his face like he is ready to kill. “Just like your mother, a coward that doesn’t care.” He replied. My face turns red. I want to kill him after he said that. “Charles!” Yelled Cheryl. “No, it is ok, Cheryl. Even though I’m like my mother. At least I wasn’t a fake bastard, I’m proud to be like my mother.” I respond and turn to walk out. “Don’t ever step back into this church or my home again Max.” Yelled Mr. Larson. “I don’t plan on it.” I respond and slam the door behind me. I walk out to my car and Zach comes running out.

“Max! Wait!” He shouts. “I can’t do this Zach. I can’t be some coward who doesn’t belong somewhere that I am not welcome. I can’t do this I’m sorry.” I reply. “Please, don’t. I told you I didn’t care how he reacted. I’m still going to be with you.” He says. He grabs my face and pulls me close to him. “I don’t care what people have to say. I want to be with you and that is not going to change my mind no matter what someone has to say.” Then he kisses me. “I need to go cool off.” I said. “I will go with you.” He responds. “Fine, but you won’t like how I cool off.” I replied back. I get in the car and he got in the passenger side. I pulled out and headed to the abandoned warehouse located about 10 miles from here in the middle of no where. I usually break things. There is a lot of thing broken inside that place after so many years.

We make it to the warehouse and it is still like I remembered. “What in the world are we doing here?” He asks. “I used to go here all the time when I was mad or upset….” I said and got out of the car. We started walking towards the door of the warehouse. “And I used to break things in this place. It’s a good way to kill off steam.” I added. “Well you are more of a tough guy then a nerd.” He started to laugh. We walk inside and everything is still how I left it. Broken glass everywhere. “Will we get in trouble?” Zach asked. “This warehouse is my grandparents. They left it to my father and he left it to trash. So I’m just making a bigger mess.” I responded. I grab a metal pole and start breaking windows. Zach stands there with a shocked look on his face. Then I stop and dropped the pole. I can’t let him see me like this. “OK, let’s go.” I said in emotion. I start walking towards the door when Zach stopped me. “You can’t let my father get to you.” He said. “How can’t I? He talks about my mom that is dead. I haven’t thought about her in a longest time, because when I did, I was an emotional roller coaster. She was like my best friend then all of sudden; out of the blue she dies. The doctor said she was sick. How can I not let that get to me?” I questioned. “Max?” I heard a woman’s voice that sounded so familiar. I turn around and my world just came crashing down.

“Mom?” I said curiously. “I’m sorry that I couldn't tell you or your sister what I was doing. I had to get away from your father. He did things that would risk you guys leaving. I couldn't do that. So I acted sick and died to get away. What your father did was so beyond terrible I couldn't resist losing you kids. He would have killed me for good.” She says and I stand there like I have seen a ghost. “I know that you probably hate me for putting you and your sister through this, but it was only for your own good.” She added. I stand there in complete silence. “I think its time to say something.” Zach whispered in my ear. “How did you get here? Where have you been staying?” I ask slowly. “I've been living with Zach’s Grandma.” She says. Me and Zach’s jaw drop instantly. “Wait so you were there when I and Max went there yesterday?” Zach asked. ”I was. Your grandma told me to hide in the butler’s pantry. Which is quiet nicer than I thought.” Mom responded. “What did dad do?” I asked. “He killed my parents, your grandparents. And said if I went to the authority, he would kill you and Cassie and frame someone else for doing it. So the only solution was, acting like I was dead.” Mom responded. “But you can’t go up to him because you know he will hurt you and your sister.” She added. My face turns red and I walk out of the warehouse. “MAX STOP!” Yelled my mom.

I ignore her and Drive off instantly. My tires squeal and start to smoke. There is no stopping me this time.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

125K 4.6K 14
Reuben was overweight in middle school, but went to a fat camp and boarding school for two years. Reuben was bullied and teased most of his life, be...
1.6M 69.2K 39
Carter is a disabled 19 years old ex football player. After an accident one year ago, he was cursed to a lifetime in a wheelchair. Ryder is an a...
75.1K 2.3K 43
The son of the school old but famous QB jock and head cheerleader - Noah Blake. He eas supposed to be the next legacy of Winster High, the one winnin...
31.7K 986 16
Ryan gets signed up by his dad to the basketball team in an attempt to 'straighten him up'. What Mr Evans didn't take into account was the extremely...