Dragon Deep

By ilovebunnies

Imagine having your own familiar. What would it be? A mystical creature? A dragon? A unicorn? A griffin? In t... More

Dragon Deep
Chapter 1 - The Fair
Chapter 2 - Hope Lost
Chapter 3 - The bead
Chapter 4 - In one night
Chapter 5 - Sapphire Eyes
Chapter 6 - Ren
Chapter 7 - Research and more research
Chapter 8 - Soul Eater
Chapter 10 - Crow Face
Chapter 11 - An eventful morning
Chapter 12 - Duel
Chapter 13 - Familiar and Owner
Chapter 14 - Breaking Point
Chapter 15 - Market Day
Chapter 16 - Intensity
Chapter 17 - Another side of him
Chapter 18 - This or that
Chapter 19 - Daik
Chapter 20 - Revelations
Chapter 21 - Who are you?
Chapter 22 - Renevyere
Chapter 23 - A Choice
Chapter 24 - A confession
Chapter 25 - Bravery
Chapter 26 - Being Strong
Chapter 27 - Many Developments
Chapter 28 - A reunion

Chapter 9 - Training School

14.9K 641 99
By ilovebunnies

The breathtaking sight of Aaron filled my vision. The fluttering blond hair and blue eyes. Of course, his dragon was a sun dragon. That’s why his cloak had a sun picture.  

“Aria?” he turned around.

“D-Dragonkeeper Aaron.” I tried hard not to stutter but I was too nervous.

“No formalities, please. Aaron is fine.” The side of his lips lifted up to give a half-smile.

“What happened?” I didn’t remember anything but some clawed creature that saved me from…Faris. I remembered Aaron saying that creepy guy’s name.

“I was…hunting down Faris, the Soul Eater that attacked you. Then I found you…” Aaron ruffled his blond hair and dismissed the elderly man with a wave.

“Did you see the…thing that saved me?”

Aaron was puzzled.

“What…thing? When I arrived, you were there and Faris was missing.”  He handed me a glass of water to drink. I accepted it gratefully. His cloak brushed against my elbow and I felt the softness of the material.

I gulped down the water and felt the water settle in my stomach.

“That’s your familiar?” Aaron nodded his head at Ren.

“Yeah. He’s name is Ren.”

“Ren?”

“Well his full name is Renevyere Luminova Stellaruis”

“That’s an…interesting name.”

Ren was very quiet, strangely. He was usually the one to flaunt and arrogantly boast. Maybe he was shy.

Ren jumped down from my shoulder into my open arms.

“Where’s Andre? Was he alright?”

“He’s at home already. We already purged the poison of Serpenta.”

“Oh…” I was relieved.

“Where’s your dragon…?” I was at complete ease with him. He just had a way to calm my nerves and set my mind at ease.

“Talon’s down in the garden. He can’t exactly fit here in the mansion.”

After a short silence, he finally spoke.

“There’s something I would like to discuss with you. If you could just sit down there…” He motioned to one of the couches.

I settled down there, feeling the softness of the cushion. I let Ren rest on my lap. What did he want to say…? I uneasily sat there, playing with the sleeve of my shirt. I could feel nervousness invading me again.

“You see, Faris doesn’t attack just anyone. To…uhm…eat their souls. The fact that Faris is after your soul, specifically, means something is special about you.”

I kept silent.

“Souls, when eaten, grant the Soul Eater extra years to live. Extend their life, you could put it that way. Red souls give about 10 years. Yellow souls give about 20. It goes up all the way to white souls, which give about 100 years. Silver souls give 200 years. Golden souls give 500 years. That’s almost five extra lives.”

“Faris would never hunt anyone in the open. There is just too much to risk. He knows I am hunting him, so he keeps a low profile, usually. By just attacking you in the open, he must have been desperate because your soul must have been worth a lot.”

“He doesn’t let off his prey very often so I am proposing a training program for you. It is simply not safe to let you go now that he is out there looking for you. You don’t want to die, do you? Basically you will be given training to teach you to defend yourself. You will have to go to the training center and stay there. You will also be safer there with people to protect you.”

“Wh-what?” I was shocked. This was completely out of the blue.  

“I know it’s a bit hard to accept this now, but you really don’t have a choice if you want to live. You won’t live normally until Faris decides to let you off. He’s just that desperate, Aria.”

I was trying to think logically. I had nothing to lose, really. My home had nothing for me. Olyrir was gone. I was reminded harshly.  

“Okay…”

Aaron seemed reluctant to discuss this with me. His eyebrows relaxed and settled into a relaxed expression.

“When will I leave?”

“Tomorrow morning. I have something to attend to right now, so I will leave you here, alright? Call Iris if you need anything.” He got up swiftly and left, like a cat.

-          --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tomorrow came like as though only a minute passed.

I was riding a horse to the training camp. I have rode horses only during special occasions and I really was not used to the rocking motion that came along with it.

I was introduced to my mentor, a well-muscled, tan man. He had a well-groomed moustache and beard. He was bald and his bulging muscles protruded out from his skin.

He was Robert, a strict man with a tight schedule.

“At 10 am sharp, you will report at the field. We will do some testing to see which weapon would suit you best. Do not be late.” His voice was harsh and had a note of finality.

I gulped involuntarily.

“Yes sir.”

Ren shuddered.

“I don’t like this guy.” He noted.

“Your familiar will be present too. He needs training as well.” He barked.

Ren groaned in our internal mind connection.

Later, I was doing running, rounds and rounds and rounds around the whole facility. My muscles were burning but Robert continued to push me on. I had already completed some simple tests. He tested my reaction time. He tested my flexibility. He tested my sprinting. He then tested long distance runs. Now, he wanted to test my endurance and stamina.

“Move it!” He screamed into my ear.

I was panting and sweating like a mad dog. I had eased my hair into a ponytail but my hair was still annoying me by clinging to my wet skin. My lungs didn’t seem able to take in any more air and I was at my maximum. It wouldn’t be long before I would give in to exhaustion.

I had already memorized the whole facility, after running so many rounds. There were six blocks. One for weapons. One for hands-on fighting. One for training, with all kinds of exercise equipment. One was for obstacle crossing, to train people to learn to overcome obstacles with ease. This included crazy obstacle courses with high walls and tunnels. One was for familiar training. The last block was where all trainees lived.

Merely looking at the equipment caused dread in my stomach. Robert was not going to let me go after this, I realized sadly.

I did another last round before I finally gave in to my tired legs and dropped to the floor.

“Push-ups. NOW!” He yelled, spit flying on me.

I dropped down without question and struggled to do even one. I was just so exhausted. My muscles were burning, straining against my weight.

Rolls of sweat dripped down mercilessly, blurring my vision.

I panted and pushed down. My arm muscles gave way and I fell flat on my face. I breathed in the concrete ground’s scent, repulsed.

“You are not to enter the building until you do 10. YOU HEAR ME?” Robert roared.

“Yes sir.” I said weakly. Ten??!? I couldn’t even make it past one!

I bit my lip and forced myself down and up.

One…

Two…

Three… I gasped in pain. My muscles burned and sweat continued pouring out like rain.

Four.

Fiveeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. I groaned.

Six… I collapsed to the ground flat on my face.

I pushed myself back up. Come on.

Seven.

Eight.

Nine…

I grit my teeth and let sweat wash down my forehead. I pushed back up and let out a strained cry of pain.

Ten.

I fell on my back, panting.

“Good! Now get to the building in 3 minutes.” You’ve got to be kidding me. The weapons building was far. Very far. I probably needed at least 3 minutes in my best condition. Now, I was tired and sweating like a mad dog. There was no way I could make it.

“I…I can’t…”

“You think Faris is going to let you go when you’re all tired and in pain?!? No. He will strike. Anytime you show weakness, you’ll be dead in seconds. Now MOVE IT!”

I bit back another complaint and got up to run. Ren was also training really hard at the familiar block. I had to do my best too! Sucking air through my cold nostrils, I felt my throat burn. It wasn’t exactly burning, it was just burning with coldness.

I gasped as I took the last step to the building. My legs were so jelly-like and I instantly dropped to the ground, needing to rest.

“Good. You made it in 3 minutes 10 seconds. Take a break. Catch your breath. Hydrate yourself. Shower and change. Then get back here ASAP.” Robert’s commands were sharp and precise.

I couldn’t even respond. Sweat was dripping down to the floor. My breaths were ragged and forced. My body was burning so hot and my skin was flushed.

I sat there for a moment, stretching and slowing my breathing down. At the last minute, I got up into the building and took a cup of water to drink. My dry lips soaked up the water and I felt refreshed. I gulped down water as though it was air. The cup wasn’t enough so I drank straight from the bottle. Sheer ecstasy rushed through me like a drug. YES!!!! My legs were jelly-like and I could hardly stand. My body was slowly cooling down and regulating my body temperature. It was cold inside and I was freezing. My whole body was covering in sweat and the cold air made it worse. I did a few more stretches when a towel was dropped on my head, covering my eyes. I pulled the towel off and looked up.

It was Robert.

“You’re going to catch a cold if you don’t wipe down.” He said in such a soft tone. I never deemed it possible for such a gangster-looking guy like Robert to be capable of such gentleness.

I nodded and dried myself using the towel before proceeding to the bathing facilities to bathe. I was so weary I did not even bother checking out my surroundings, which I usually did. I hated not knowing where I was. When I came into a new place, I just had to check the place out, down to the very detail. Only then did I feel comfortable in the location. This time, I was just too tired to care. I just wanted to bathe and change out.

Warm water came out from a silver tap, which I let it run for some time, easing my sore muscles. I then looked at the soaps. They sure had a wide range of soaps for a training facility. They had soap bars with lavender, lemon grass, honey, rose, sandalwood and many others. They even had some oil-like cream that apparently made your hair smooth. My village had no such luxuries so seeing them here amazed me.

I chose the rose soap and greased my hair with the oil-like cream. After I washed it all off, I was very surprised to find my hair soft. I could even run my fingers through my hair.  I couldn’t resist touching my hair every five seconds. It just didn’t feel like my hair.

I changed out into the training outfit that trainees wore. It was a simple pair of brown breeches with a black tunic. My muscles still felt sore and tired. I massaged my arm muscles and stretched them, trying to relieve the exhaustion. I really didn’t want to wake up feeling the aches.

Ren was waiting for me outside.

“Ren!” I called out.

Ren’s white face turned to me and he came bounding to me.

“Aria!” He gleefully swiped his tail at my face.

“What did you do?” I asked Ren curiously.

“Obstacle courses. Fighting techniques. Nothing much.” Ren shrugged the topic off.

“Why? Was it easy?” I held disbelief in my voice.

“Yes. Of course.”

“WHAT? I had the worst horror in my whole life!” I nearly screamed at Ren.

“It just means…you are unfit.” Ren splattered the truth in my face bluntly.

“No! I’m quite fit…”

Ren merely gave a look.

“Fine! Average fitness.” I admitted reluctantly.

“Had enough fun? Come over here!” Robert snapped, waving his muscular arm impatiently.

We headed over to the weaponry section. There were weapons of all kinds, swords, daggers, great swords, bows, maces and axes.

Robert made me try out the different weapons, holding them and attacking with them. After a while, my arms became very sore with all the swinging. Ren obviously didn’t need to yield a weapon so he was just watching me with glee plastered on his face because he didn’t need to do anything. I deliberately ignored his white fluff face. I absolutely didn’t want him to feel the satisfaction.

I preferred light, portable weapons but Robert insisted that I should at least learn to use the other weapons to be more versatile. I hated great swords the most. They were heavy and difficult to yield. More importantly, they were a pain to carry around on a daily basis.

I sighed again as Robert handed a bow and a sheath of arrows. I had seen Andre hunt before so I knew how to shoot. Well, I thought I knew. I had been holding the bow the wrong way all along and I never knew. He told me to aim at a straw target. I did all I could to keep my hands steady but they were weak from fatigue. It was impossible to even hold them straight because they kept shaking.

Focus I told myself. I swept away a bead of sweat from my eye and trained my eyes on the target. I remembered Andre’s lessons vaguely. Keep your hands steady. Keep your eyes on the target, always. Pull the string back all the way. Let go.

Focus. Focus.

I drew my arm back, holding the string with my fingers. I felt the tension press against my fingers and my arm muscles. The rest of my surroundings seemed to fade away, with only the straw target clearly imprinted in my vision.

I let go.

I felt the tension leave and dissipate through the bow, down my arm.

The wooden arrow flew, and penetrated deep into…the soil.   

I missed. By a lot.

I automatically gave a sheepish smile to Robert. Robert merely sighed and slapped his own face with his palm.

“And I thought you were getting serious.” Robert muttered to himself.  

I had never been the kind that liked sports. I enjoyed nature and peace. That was just me. If you gave me a choice between a party and a day alone in the forest, I would choose to be alone in the forest anytime.

“That was the last one so…I’ll tell you the results tomorrow.”

“Why not today?” I asked, curious to know what he thought.

“Hmph.” He didn’t even give an answer before he left.

Ren ran up to me and I felt his familiar weight land on my arms.

“Aw. I really thought you were going to hit the target Aria.”

“Oh shut it.” I never liked people emphasizing my failure to the whole world.

What was I supposed to do now? I wondered. Robert had already disappeared somewhere and I had no idea what to do now. Maybe I had to return to my quarters…which I had no idea where it was.

I stood around awkwardly, not knowing what to do.

“Why don’t we go back to the quarters? I’m sure they have a room ready for us.” Ren advised.

I nodded and opened the door to get out from the building. It had concrete floors with very prominent bricks and cement.

I literally strolled back to the building where we stayed. I was so tired from the day’s activities. My eyes were drooping and I was half-asleep.

“Are you the new trainee?” A soft, feminine voice rang from behind.

I turned around. A blonde girl with a pixie hair cut looked back at me with her sky blue eyes. Her petite face held a shy smile which highlighted her rosy cheeks.

“Yeah.” My voice was slightly slurred.

“Uhm I’m Janice. Nice to meet you. I heard a new girl trainee was coming so I was looking for you. You and I are the only girl trainees here.” She held out her hand to shake mine.  I shook her hand graciously.

“So what made you come here?” I asked her.

“My parents thought it was a good idea…”

“Wow…” I couldn’t think of a better response.

“What about you?” Janice’s eyes twinkled in excitement.

“It’s a long story.”

“I’m all ears.”

“Okay. This demonic soul eater guy just tried to eat my soul and I got bitten by a poisonous snake. And I almost died. Then Aaron saved me. Then I ended up here because I need to learn how to protect myself.” I sighed, finishing my story in fragments.

“You forgot the part where you kept screaming like a little annoying baby.” Ren butted in.

“Shut up.” I instantly silenced him with a look.

“That’s your familiar? Is he some kind of rat…or mouse?”

“No. He’s an annoying chatterbox spawned from the depths of a volcano.”

The sides of Janice’s mouth quirked up into a half-smile.

“You’re a two-legged sack of walking meat parading on the streets every day.” Ren retorted back.

I stifled a laugh, victorious at my attempt to anger Ren.

“You’re so lucky you have a familiar. I don’t.” Janice’s face fell slightly.

“Why?” Ren asked.

“Mine kind of…died.”

 “I’m so sorry!” I gasped.

“Nah, It’s fine. He died nobly so it’s alright. He died defending my village against rogue dragons.”

“Rogue dragons?”

“Dragons have to live off on their own once their owners die, so most become insane and turn to destruction…”

“I never knew…” I muttered.

“Well, I’m glad you’re here though. Feels better to have a friend. I mean, girl power you know?”

I smiled in return. Janice seemed to be a really sweet girl with a cool personality.

 “You imbecile.” Ren decided to start an argument with me yet again. It was really his favourite past time, after eating of course.  

“You mutated rat.” I threw back.

“Maggot-filled insect.” Ren’s voice had a tinge of amusement.

“You do realise how stupid you look, talking to yourself like that.” Ren laughed.

Something he said finally made sense. Janice was giving me a weird stare because I had been talking to myself for a while, spewing out insults for no apparent reason. She probably thinks I’m insane.

“Just talking to Ren.” I muttered to Janice. It seemed weird to talk in my mind so I usually communicated with Ren out loud.

“I actually thought Ren was a girl, at first.” Janice admitted suddenly.

“Yes! I’m one of those Barbie girls who dress up and paint nails all day.”His voice was drenched in sarcasm.

“Oh no!! I chipped a nail!!!”Ren continued dramatically, obviously enjoying the persona.

I decided to ignore him, shutting my mind off from Ren.

Janice was smiling throughout. She seemed to be a really nice person. It was nice to have friends in this place, where all things were rather dull and full of routine.

“Well, here’s your quarters… and good luck with your initiation.” Janice half-smiled.

“What initiation?”

“We hardly get new trainees here. Of course we will have our own initiation. It’s just a mission to prove your worth here.” Janice was being vague on purpose.

“Seems fun.” I said very dully.

“We’ll see.” Janice smiled in a way that said ‘She isn’t going to survive through this’.

Yes. We’ll see. I would pass this with flying colours. The thing I hated most was when people underestimated me.

Janice left to go for her next class, leaving me alone in my new room.

It was rather similar to my own room so I knew I would have no trouble getting used to this. It was wooden and had a bed, a cupboard a table and a chair. Very simple. The cupboard had many repeated sets of the trainee uniform.

Judging from the sun’s position, I could guess that it was about late afternoon. I was actually quite hungry and I wondered if there was food around.

I quickly scanned the room and concluded that there was no food here. Maybe there was food downstairs. After all, we lived here and it seemed impossible that there would be no food around.

“Food?” Ren’s ears perked up.

“Is food the only thing you care about?”

“Actually…yes.”

I sighed and took Ren up from the ground, placing him on my shoulder.

“Move forth, soldier! Lead us to a valiant victory!” Ren chuckled, pretending he was a knight.

I was too tired to entertain Ren so I merely smiled wearily. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

38 20 24
A girl in the woods, the boy she saves. She thinks she is alone until she sees him. Is she not the last human after all? ------- Myela has lived with...
141K 8.9K 34
At the age of thirteen, young witches and wizards send The Call to find their soul bound familiar. This ritual is one of the most important events in...
78.8K 4.5K 23
A Familiar: An animal that chooses a human to bond with. The bond between the human and animal are created out of acceptance of both. The human can u...
296 44 44
For most of her life Luciana Clement was raised as a servant in a pleasure house. She dreams of leaving the manor one day, travel the world. Which sh...