๐’๐ก๐š๐ญ๐ญ๐ž๐ซ๐ž๐ ๐‚๐ซ๐จ๐ฐ๐ง...

By imtheladyoflight

"๐‘‚๐‘›๐‘’ ๐‘…๐‘–๐‘›๐‘” ๐‘ก๐‘œ ๐‘Ÿ๐‘ข๐‘™๐‘’ ๐‘กโ„Ž๐‘’๐‘š ๐‘Ž๐‘™๐‘™. ๐‘ฉ๐’–๐’• ๐’•๐’‰๐’†๐’“๐’† ๐’˜๐’‚๐’” ๐’๐’๐’† ๐’Ž๐’๐’“๐’†." Daeriel knew that f... More

prologue
I. THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING
1| arrivals
2| the council
3| leaving the haven
4| the cold
5| glaurielle
6| the watcher in the water
7| conversations in the dark
8| pippin's mistake
9| what lies beneath
10| into the fire
11| the lady of light
12| a leaf in a river
13| the river
14| boromir's oath
15| the first gold knife
16| the breaking of the fellowship
II. THE TWO TOWERS
17| in pursuit
18| forsaken
19| into fangorn
20| a broken heart
21| amarya
22| thรฉoden's return
23| anchor
24| drowning
25| from greenwood to mirkwood
26| innocent
27| promise
28| an ill-fated reunion
29| before the storm
30| balance
31| so it begins
32| retreat
33| breaking point
34| a new hope
35| embrace
sneak peak + q&a
III. THE RETURN OF THE KING
36| The Fall of Isengard
37| Return to Edoras
38| Giving in
39| Maeglor
40| Scarred
41| The Seeing-Stone
43| Getting away
44| Lost in him
45| Nightmares
46| Morning
47| The bow and the arrow
48| Awakened
49| A dream?
50| The reflection
51| A fool's paradise
52| The second gold knife
53| Numb
54| Futility
55| By one's own hand
56| The letter
56| the mirror
57| where the snowbourn meets the entwash
58| unpleasant truths
59| the silent house
60| the catalyst
61| too much
62| why we fight
63| the province of men
64| dรฉjร  vu
65| breaking silence
66| a broken spirit
67| celebrรญan
68| insurmountable
asking your thoughts!
69| a ship on the river
70| Smoke on Pelennor Fields
71| Far from over
72| Terror
not an update, sorry!
73| No Man

42| Separated

5.1K 265 43
By imtheladyoflight

This chapter is dedicated to Commitdeathfools

Thank you for your votes, comments and your follow :) it's really great to hear and receive feedback from you guys, and i love interacting with you <3 thank you for all your support!

────── ༻♛༺ ──────

It wasn't too long before our conversation was interrupted as Théoden entered the hall, followed by Gandalf, Aragorn, Gimli and the two hobbits trailing behind.

"What is this all about, Gandalf?" Théoden questioned as he fastened a belt around his waist.

Legolas and I joined the rest of them as they gathered around the fireplace. I stood with my arms crossed as I listened.

"This young hobbit here..." Gandalf gestured to Pippin, who just looked down. "...took the palantir that we retrieved from Isengard and made the bold decision to stare into its depths. None other than Sauron himself responded."

Théoden swivelled to face Gandalf in shock, his posture instantly becoming rigid. "What?"

His brows furrowed together. "Tell me exactly what happened."

"It seems that he was seeking information." Gandalf replied grimly. "He questioned Peregrin, and hurt him when he would not respond."

The king's frown intensified, the creases on his forehead deepening with Gandalf's every word.

"Did the hobbit tell him anything?"

"No," Gandalf replied, "he told him nothing."

Théoden's expression shifted into one of disbelief.

"How can you be so sure?"

Gandalf clasped his hands together behind as he paced slowly.

"There was no lie in Pippin's eyes. A fool, but an honest fool he remains."

I stole a quick glance at the hobbit, who was sitting down beside Merry, a sheepish expression on his face. At least he looked like he was in a better state than he was last night.

Gandalf scanned the room carefully before continuing to speak. "He told Sauron nothing of Frodo and the Ring."

Gimli, Legolas, Théoden and I all shared a collective sigh of relief. The one weapon we had against Sauron was still safe. For now.

"We've been strangely fortunate," Gandalf said, to which Théoden raised an eyebrow in curiosity. "Pippin saw in the palantir a glimpse of the enemy's plan."

Gandalf stopped pacing, turning back to face us.

"Sauron moves to strike the city of Minas Tirith. His defeat at Helm's Deep showed our enemy one thing: he knows the heir of Elendil has come forth."

The hall was quiet as we let his words sink in. Though Aragorn seemed more composed than last night, I still caught a slight tense in his facial muscles, his hand unwittingly stroking the stubble at his chin, a nervous habit that I had picked up after decades of knowing him. I hoped that he was able to take some time for himself to reflect. I couldn't imagine the sheer amount of pressure that he was under.

However, I made a mental note to check in with him again later as Gandalf continued to speak.

"Men are not as weak as he supposed. There is courage still. Strength enough, perhaps, to challenge him. Sauron fears this. He will not risk the peoples of Middle Earth uniting under one banner."

Théoden pressed his lips together as he listened silently, his posture rigid as he took in Gandalf's words.

"He will raze Minas Tirith to the ground before he sees a king return to the throne. If the beacons of Gondor are lit, Rohan must be ready for war."

Théoden tilted his head, narrowing his eyes in skepticism.

"Tell me, why should we ride to the aid of those who did not come to ours?" He asked, his voice heavy with deep-seated bitterness. "What do we owe Gondor?"

I pressed my lips together, letting out an exasperated exhale.

"With all due respect, my lord...how could you say that? At a time like this?"

All eyes turned my way. But I didn't care. I took a step forwards, squaring my shoulders,

"Gandalf just told you that right now, the greatest threat to Sauron's forces is the union of the peoples of Middle Earth. Ignoring his advice will be detrimental."

Annoyance was evident in my voice, and I chose to ignore the surprised stares of the others.

"Daeriel-" Aragorn began.

"No, Aragorn," I interrupted, sending him a scathing glare. "He needs to hear this."

Théoden himself only raised an eyebrow, but surprisingly, he let me continue. He crossed his arms in front of his chest as my tone grew more and more agitated.

"Yes, Gondor may have betrayed your kingdom, abandoned your people, left you to struggle and fend for yourself alone–trust me, I know exactly how that feels. But right now, the one sliver of hope that we have left lies in the formation of this alliance, and this...this spite, this resentment that you still harbour against Gondor will only lead us down a path of self-destruction..."

I paused, "...your...majesty..."

The hall was silent after my outburst, and I felt my cheeks redden as I began to realise what I had just done. I noticed Legolas and the small smile of amusement creeping onto his expression. Théoden remained silent.

I sighed. "Fine. I will go and warn Minas Tirith if nobody else will. Aldion is fast, we can get there in a matter of days,"

"No." Gandalf immediately objected, "Minas Tirith is far too close to Mordor. You, along with Amarya, would be walking directly into the dark lord's grasp, and you risk another attack from Sauron. If something happens, we can't help you there."

"Then what?" I asked, placing a hand on my hip. "We can't just sit back and watch."

Aragorn stepped forwards.

"I'll go."

Gandalf shook his head. "No."

"They must be warned!"

The wizard's forehead creased as he frowned. "They will be, but you must come to Minas Tirith by another road."

Aragorn furrowed his brows in confusion. Gandalf pursed his lips together as the wheels of thought in his head churned.

"Follow the river, look to the black ships. Understand this, things are now in motion that cannot be undone."

Gandalf grabbed his staff from behind him.

"I ride for Minas Tirith..."

Gandalf glanced at Pippin, who frowned. "...and I won't be going alone. "

Pippin's brows snapped together in apprehension as he turned to glance at Merry in alarm. "Me? Why?"

"Sauron knows that you are in Edoras, so you cannot stay here. We must go."

Gandalf's eyes shot to Théoden, who had remained quiet during this entire time, as if pondering a deep thought.

"We leave for Minas Tirith as soon as possible." He informed the king, before shifting his attention back onto the hobbit. "Bring only what you need and meet me in the stables in half an hour."

-

Aldion stretched his limbs beside him with a yawn, laying down on the hay beside me, as if without a care in the world as I sat in the stables waiting for Gandalf. His black tail curled around him as he dozed off, his tongue lolling slightly out of his mouth as I gently stroked his fur. Sometimes I longed to be as carefree as him. But I knew that I couldn't afford to let down my guard. Ever.

I spotted Gandalf enter the stable, and stood to my feet, careful not to wake the resting wolf-hound.

"Ah, Daeriel," Gandalf acknowledged as he saw me, "Just the person I needed to speak with."

I followed after him as we approached Shadowfax's stall. The majestic chieftain of horses greeted us with a nod of his head, his pure white mane shimmering in the morning sunlight.

"I have sent word to Lothlorien and Imladris," Gandalf informed me as he prepared a small pack for the journey to Minas Tirith.

"Lady Galadriel and Lord Elrond will be able to provide you with a deeper understanding of Amarya and what has happened to you, and you must be here, ready to receive their reply."

I ran a hand through my uncombed locks, feeling my anxiety heighten.

"But what if something happens before then? I'm going into this blind, Mithrandir. What if something goes wrong?"

"Then you will endure it and survive it, like you have always done."

I sighed, my brows knitting together.

Gandalf ran a hand through Shadowfax's mane, his blue eyes meeting mine. His expression seemed to soften.

"In the end, I believe that Amarya will protect you. After all, it was created for that very purpose. However..."

His stern look crossed his face one again. "...you must remain vigilant."

Both of us turned at the sound of Merry and Pippin's voice outside the stables.

"Don't you understand?" Merry's voice drifted through the walls. "The enemy thinks you have the ring! He's going to be looking for you, Pip. They have to get you out of here."

I shot a worried glance at Gandalf, who just nodded solemnly.

"Pippin and I must leave, Daeriel. It is the only way."

Pippin followed Merry through the door of the stable, a small pack slung over his back. I could sense the trepidation from his tense posture and the worry behind his eyes.

"Come, Pippin," Gandalf gestured towards Shadowfax, "we must leave immediately if we wish to remain undetected."

I watched as Gandalf lifted the hobbit onto the white horse's back. Pippin turned to look at Gandalf, his voice full of uncertainty.

"How far is Minas Tirith?"

"Three days' ride as the Nagul flies," Gandalf replied as he unfastened the rope in front of the stall. "And you'd better hope we don't have one of those on our tail."

Merry approached them

"Here," he handed Pippin a small leather pouch, "Something for the road."

Pippin gingerly took it from his hands with a look of surprise.

"The last of the long-bottom leaf?"

"I know you've run out. You smoke too much, Pippin."

Pippin glanced up at his best friend with a wide-eyed look of sudden realisation.

"But...we'll see each other soon?"

Merry didn't answer, shooting a glance at Gandalf and I.

"Won't we?" Pippin asked again, fear crossing his face as Gandalf mounted Shadowfax behind him.

His expression was grave as his eyes met mine, silently signalling what we were all thinking: nothing was certain. We could not tell Pippin what he wanted to hear.

"I don't know," Merry backed away slowly, his voice small and trembling as if fighting back tears, "I don't know what's going to happen."

Gandalf mounted Shadowfax, sitting behind Pippin.

In that moment, Pippin seemed to realise it wasn't so much that fact he was in danger as the fact that he might never see Merry again that really scared him. His voice fell to a whisper as his eyes flashed with fear.

"Merry?"

Gandalf sent me one last look, before placing his hand on Shadowfax. I stepped out of the way with a final nod to the wizard.

"Run Shadowfax," Gandalf commanded, "Show us the meaning of haste!"

"Merry!" Pippin cried out as Shadowfax galloped out of the stables with a burst of speed.

Within the blink of an eye, all that was left of them was a trail of dust behind them.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.7K 65 32
"Gandalf has truly lost all sense between his ears this time! He will bring death on the entire fellowship! All to bring us all through a dark, old...
77.9K 4.7K 43
Frodo was meant to be the Ring-bearer. But when he falls under Sauron's control and vanishes before Elrond's council, where does that leave the Fello...
199K 5.2K 28
(Y/n) (L/n) has been on the run her whole life. Where she is from, she is considered a witch. Gondor would not welcome her any longer. She was a nuis...
43.8K 1.3K 54
Have you ever had something happen to you, so crazy that you couldn't describe it? That it made your heart hammer every time you thought of it That i...