Half Mad (Sequel to Half Bad)

By juliaxwrites

"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." With nothing but insanity surrounding them, Harry and Rose hardly h... More

Disclaimer
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Thank You.

Chapter 15

24.1K 1K 233
By juliaxwrites

✖ Chapter 15 

        WE HAD STOPPED after an excessive amount of running for a rest. I was at least thankful that Megan's power had been capable of carrying Marcus' and Jessie's still limp bodies a bit of the way. It was exhausting to be overwhelmed by conflicted thoughts and overexertion. 

        The trickle of the stream almost sounded mellifluous to me after hearing nothing but my own panting breaths for the longest time. I watched as it slid gracefully around small rocks in the way, lapping over the overgrown grass and small pebbles. The water was clear, inviting even, mocking my fatigued body as I stared at it. 

        So I hesitated for a brief moment before cupping my hands and gulping as much of the water as I could, the coolness of it causing me to revel in it's refreshing glory. I was tempted to lay in it, let it wash away the grime and lies and manipulation from my body, though I knew it would be to no avail. There was no shaking these redundant and revolting thoughts.

        Rose came and sat by me, so I smiled at her because that's what I used to do. That's what I felt like I should do. But it was so difficult for such a simple curve of the lips. If anything, I felt like it drained even more of the energy I already didn't have.

        She pulled her knees to her chest, eyes trailing after the rush of the stream before her voice spoke, soft and quiet. "Do you think everything Cecilia said was true?"

        I laid on my stomach, arms folded with my right cheek pressed into them as I looked at her. "I don't doubt it."

        She pursed her lips, a look of despair crossing her features. "I don't doubt it, either. But I also don't want to believe I was lied to my whole life."

        "You can't change things that have already happened, Rose." I shifted, grunting as I flopped onto my back, staring up at the stars. She slid next to me a moment later, our arms merely brushing. "All you can do is work to change the present and write the future."

        Her head fell to my shoulder, a genuine smile pulling at my lips this time as I glanced down at her. "You always have these little moments where you say these meaningful things," she said as her hand fumbled with mine, her eyes locked on our fingers brushing against each other. She smiled before locking our hands completely. "I missed that."

        I shrugged, snuggling closer to her. "What can I say? As Daniel would put it, I'm a softy at heart."

        She laughed, a sound that was so harmonic, it deserved to be on replay every day. I would listen to it. I would buy it. I would pay good money just to hear that beautiful sound. The sound of actual happiness, and for once I was the cause in a good way.

          Daniel's grumbled voice made me turn my head towards him, confused at seeing how he was laying on top of Jessie. Megan was doing the same to Marcus. I sat up some, hating to leave Rose's side but too distraught by the scene before me to pay much attention.

        "Please tell me this isn't a form of rape with clothing," I said unsure, raising my eyebrows.

        Daniel grunted just as I saw Jessie's foot twitch. "I think they're waking up."

        That was enough for me to jump to my feet and grab the leftover rope bindings I had brought with us, specifically for this. They could still be controlled by Cecilia, and I couldn't have them lashing out. I needed to bring them back to full consciousness, to where their own thoughts were the ones inside their heads. Not someone else's.

        Rose helped me with the ropes, Daniel and Megan holding down limbs that continued to twitch. We propped them against the tree, wrapping the rope around tightly before we ran out. I huffed, hoping it would be enough restraint before knotting it the best I could. Aiden sat to the side, looking a little more frightened than usual.

        We all stepped back just as Marcus's and Jessie's eyes opened simultaneously, looking their normal color instead of a haze that had been there earlier. Their first instinct, of course, was to look around before widening their eyes and attempting to break out of the binds.

        "What the..." Jessie trailed off, leaving me taking in a sharp breath. I hadn't seen him in so long, it was surreal to hear him speak. I wasn't sure how I felt at the moment.

        Marcus furrowed his eyebrows. "W-where are we? I thought we were in the aslyum and-"

        "Don't mention that wretched place," said Daniel before taking a long look at the two of them. "I'm still not sure which of you manipulated me more, honestly."

        I popped him in the side of the head. "We're trying to see if there's a part of them that knows something. Like... who they used to be, for example."

        I had managed to get Daniel up to speed with all the information Cecilia plowed Rose and I with. He seemed shocked at first, but then couldn't stop talking about me being related to the first ever witch. I couldn't help but to walk away from him then. I didn't have time for my ears to bleed from his squeals.

        "Right." He nodded, looking a little sheepish. "Sorry."

       I knelt down in front of Jessie, blocking the conflicted emotions as his gaze impossibly widened. Before I could speak, he did. "Oh my God, Harry..." His eyes flicked to Rose and guilt washed over him. "The last thing I remember is finding you both in the woods, but by the look on your faces... What did I do?"

        My heart sank as I struggled to find words. "Wait... the last thing you remember is finding us?"

        He nodded quickly, looking short of breath. "When I found out about Cecilia's plan, I was going to help you guys but then she... What did she make me do?" His voice had cracked.

        This was the Jessie from my childhood, the one that had been my best friend.

        Megan stepped in before relief could flood me. "How do we know he's not lying. What if this is part of her plan?"

        Rose groaned. "We can't do anything anymore without questioning all of it."

        Daniel gasped. "How do we know we're real?"

        Rolling my eyes, I punched him in the shoulder, leaving him whining like a two year old. "Did that feel real?"

        "Yeah, you meanie..."

        "Then we're real." I turned back to Jessie, his eyes still roaming everyone. "They're right, though. How can we trust you?"

        Jessie honestly looked clueless, almost hopeless. "I-I don't know, but I swear it, Harry. The very last thing I remember is finding you and Rose."

        I bit my bottom lip just as Marcus spoke, voice gruff and he cleared his throat. "He's telling the truth. Cecilia told me everything when she first caught you both. That's the last I remember."

        This caught my attention and I turned my glare on him. "So you remember attempting to kill your own flesh and blood multiple times?" 

        His face blanched. "Harry-"

      I stood, waving my hand dismissively. "I don't need excuses. I had my hopes too high that Cecilia was controlling all of that but..." I tried to give Jessie my best smile. "At least I got my brother back."

        Jessie let out a breath. "I don't think I want to know what I did."

        "You don't."

        "Okay... but can you untie me now? These ropes are chaffing my skin."

        Though suspicion was still there in the pit of my stomach, I untied Jessie and left Marcus where he was. He may not be under Cecilia's power, but he still had the same mindset as her. He had still done those horrendous things, and though he had tried to make up for it, it was impossible. I had the sickening thought that he even enjoyed it all. Perhaps it was a game to him.

        Nonetheless, we decided against a fire knowing it would only draw attention. Body heat and our own magic would have to make due. I tried to send some of my heat to the others, but it wouldn't reach farther than a couple of feet without catching someone on fire. It was a downfall of magic, to say the least.

        Rose cuddled up next to me, which I was more than okay with and relished in the feeling of her being so close again. I played with her hair to help her drift to sleep, running the soft strands through my fingers and gently tugging through the knots. I pressed a kiss to her temple when she had finally closed her eyes, breath evening.

        Jessie had Daniel seemed to have got off on a good foot. They were still talking over near the tree, Marcus sleeping sitting up next to them and for a brief moment I felt bad for him. But that moment of sympathy vanished as quickly as it came - he had never felt sorry for me, so why should I for him?

        Aiden was curled in a ball against a log, still having hardly spoke any words. I tried to tell myself to talk to him at least once, to get him to open up. I couldn't imagine a life in silence, a life without a voice, and yet I realized that was practically what our society was. You speak up, you get discouraged. So maybe he saw no point at even trying.

        Megan, however, was sitting by the stream with her knees pulled to her chest, her chin resting between them. She looked a little upset, if not on the depressed side. I looked at Rose who continued to sleep peacefully. I wished I could close my eyes, but every time I did, I would be awoken by the littlest sound. 

        I finally gave up, slithering out from beneath Rose before quietly walking over to Megan. Daniel and Jessie had gone to bed as well, so I kept my voice low as I asked, "Can't sleep, either?"

      She started, jumping a little before letting out a breath of relief. I sat next to her and she shrugged some, resting her chin again. "I haven't slept much since my sister died last year."

        It was blunt of her, to say the least, but sometimes that's the only way to get your feelings out. "I'm sorry," I muttered, running a hand through my hair. That's what people said to others who lost, right?

        She snorted. "No need for condolences. You had no part in it. Plus, it was pretty quick."

        I knew I was walking on a thin line, but I asked anyways. "What happened?"

    Megan stiffened a little before her shoulders slumped. She frowned, staring at the water intensely. "My mom was a black witch, and where we lived, black witches were being rounded up and executed. It was basically a reenactment of the Salem witch trials back in 1692. We were put on an unfair trial and hung.

        "My sister was younger than me, so she couldn't control her magic as well. She always shook and broke things when she was nervous, so during her trial, that's what happened. The whole courthouse shook, the windows shattered, and so on. I broke away from the guards to comfort her, but they tore me away and then it was too late..."

     I rubbed my forehead as her voice drifted off, anger lighting her eyes, making her look dangerous. The water in the stream became to bubble, the wind around us picked up pace a little. I looked to Megan, who was clenching her hands and grinding her teeth. I called her name, grabbed her shoulders, and she finally snapped out the trance.

        Tears welled in her eyes as she stared at me. "I tried to stop them," she whispered, looking terrified as if the scene were playing as a movie before her eyes. "I killed for the first time that day. A lot. For her safety and they still won. They still killed her."

        Her voice began to rose, so I spoke. "Megan, hey, listen. I'm sorry about your sister," I said in the softest tone I could manage, the bubbles in the stream gradually beginning to seize. "I'm sorry about it, I am. But you can't change that now."

        There was still in angry glint in her eyes, and I didn't want her to wake the other or force a storm on all of us stranded in the woods. "Look at me," I said quietly. "This is now. You're here. With me. And everyone else. The only way to honor your sister is to avenge her. And you can do that, but not when you're blinded by anger."

        Slowly, her breathing evened and she ended up crying. It was such an awkward thing for me. The only person I ever comforted who cried was Rose, and even then, it was once. I didn't know what else to do except hug her. Isn't that what people do for others when they're hurt? Maybe I should look some of these things up some time.

        So I hugged her until she literally cried herself to sleep. A pang of guilt coursed through me because of what happened to her sister, but I pushed it aside and laid her down. I brushed the stray tears from her cheek before letting out a breath I hadn't realized I'd been holding.

        Then I slipped back beside my beautiful Rose, who was still sleeping comfortably. I focused on her head on my shoulder and her hand locked with mine before sleep finally took over.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

169 5 35
||What would've happened if Harry had a twin sister? What would of happened if Harry didn't leave the school in the seventh year? What if the only ho...
1.1K 324 33
[COMPLETED] We are all messed up inside our heads. Jewel's parents always told that, her whole world was just a twisted figment of her imagination. I...
289K 6.7K 70
"You know I can't just let you go." He says. "You have no choice" I weakly say with tears falling. "I'm not letting you go. I just can't allow you...
16.3K 390 26
Harry Potter, brother of the supposedly 'Brother-Who-Lived,' Jace Potter, was sent away at a young age to Lily's sister, Petunia. Mirabel Madrigal, t...