Aberrant

By RJGlynn

Wattys 2021 shortlist. Shipwrecked on a criminal-infested mining colony, military telepath Reid Kaplan needs... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Note from Author: Sequel
Disclaimer, Credits, Acknowledgments

Chapter 54

36 12 2
By RJGlynn

Bodies. Emaciated flesh connected to tubes and machines.

Not a dream. Not a hallucination. Real.

Jinx couldn't draw air, lighting up more bio-warnings on her mask's HUD. Horror paralysed her more completely than the andropod's venom. Medical equipment filled the cargo bay the exskel had carried her into: a circle of beds, monitors, and tech—human designed. Not alien.

Half the beds were occupied. Pale, wasted flesh.

Just like in her dreams.

She'd seen this.

Or something like it. Five bodies lay in the beds, not the four that had crawled out of her warped subconscious. And this space... It was round like the ship housing it. The bulkheads behind the medical tech were silver and smooth, not the rough, dark surface from her nightmares.

From the Bullhead.

The realisation hit like a gut punch. Had she stumbled onto a room like this on the barge? Was that why she'd started dreaming about—?

A downward sensation. Then pressure against her back.

Panic streaked through her as the andropod laid her out on one of the empty beds. Medical equipment crowded her. Wires and sensors. Tubes ready to be inserted, to keep her alive—trapped—for God knew how long.

Her father's lax face filled her mind, merged with the nightmare around her.

A screaming silver mask jolted reality back into focus.

The andropod angled its head, assessing her, its skull reflecting the med screens around it—their data. Slow heart rates and respiration. Brain waves locked in the rhythm of unconsciousness.

Jinx's pulse boomed. Her breath huffed out—too shallow, too fast.

A graceful slide of mechanical tech.

The andropod pulled off her battle suit's mask and cowl, exposing her head. She willed her legs to move—kick out, drive the exskel back—but her body wouldn't respond.

The alien unsnapped the neck closure of her battle suit. Then it raised one set of metal fingers.

A needle-like device slid out from the underside of its wrist.

Jinx swore savagely—silently, unable to form words. She struggled to move, but as the thin, metal spike closed in, she couldn't even cringe away. God. What was she about to be dose with? Sedatives? Something more hardcore?

Mech fingers gripped her head, bracing it.

Panic choked her. What were the psycho insects going to do to her? What the fuck did they want?

A faint prick against her neck.

She screamed bloody murder—a shriek in her head, nothing more than a puff of air on her lips. Her nightmare. This was her nightmare. Darkness, a sense of suffocation—

A scream of rage and pain.

Medical alarms. Rapid beeping across the room.

A flash of lightning—violent heat.

A deafening blast.

Reality ripped from her grasp.

She plunged into madness. Into a seething storm of white fire, darkness, and pain.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.6K 2.2K 38
[Watty's 2021 Winner - Sci-Fi Category] Clara only wanted to reach her interview on time. Now she finds herself lost in time, space and reality with...
19.8K 2.5K 24
|WATTYS 2022 WINNER - HORROR| Shawn, a convicted criminal, never thought she'd see the sun again, let alone call another star system her home. When s...
5.7K 281 28
[2023 Wattys Shortlist, 2023 Amby Awards winner, Featured 4 times in Wattpad Picks lists] Kaleth has worked as an agent of Luxarx for years. What th...
79.6K 4.9K 56
When your dream of working for Doctors without borders turns into a nightmare.. A bad-boy Marine may be your only hope of waking up alive.. ... Tire...