Rejection

By Shifting2wolf

Kyle's life hadn't been easy. Born as a rogue wolf, packless and wandering, he was used to fighting for his l... More

Prologue
Chapter 1 - Where it all began
Chapter 2 - Against all odds
Chapter 3 - A necessary evil
Chapter 4 - What about us?
Chapter 5 - Pillow talk
Chapter 6 - Scars
Chapter 7 - Misconception
Chapter 8 - Pain
Chapter 9 - The strongest wolf
Chapter 10 - Trust
Chapter 11 - Home?
Chapter 12 - Why?
Chapter 13 - Trapped
Chapter 14 - Misfits
Chapter 15 - A knife's edge
Chapter 16 - Romeo, oh Romeo...
Chapter 17 - Given up
Chapter 18 - Bonding
Chapter 19 - Moms....
Chapter 20 - Ohana
Chapter 21 - Roadtrip
Chapter 22 - Uncle Kyle
Chapter 23 - Ellie
Chapter 24 - Finding a lead
Chapter 25 - Pack manners
Chapter 26 - A fragile future
Chapter 27 - Family
Chapter 28 - Knuckle Sandwich
Chapter 29 - Oh boy
Chapter 30 - A hard lesson learned
Chapter 31 - Consequences
Chapter 32 - ...Cute?
Chapter 33 - Home
Chapter 34 - One step at a time
Chapter 36 - Déjà Vu
Chapter 37 - A Bond
Chapter 38 - Closure
Chapter 39 - Courtship
Chapter 40 - Marked
Chapter 41 - Mated
Chapter 42 - Sweet Memories
Chapter 43 - Hot Springs
Chapter 44 - A Fated Choice
Chapter 45 - The Talk
Chapter 46 - Healing
Chapter 47 - Support
Chapter 48 - An offer
Chapter 49 - Alphas
Chapter 50 - Life still goes on
Chapter 51 - A dire cost

Chapter 35 - Hugs heal the soul

19.5K 1.2K 215
By Shifting2wolf

---Kyle's POV---

Steam obscured most of the vision in the bathroom, the soft fabric of the towel cushioning my head as I rested against the lip of the bath.

The water was hot, just on the verge of scalding my skin. It had taken cautious steps in the tub to get used to the water before I was able to slowly sink into that liquid heat.

My muscles still trembled, ached, but I could tell that most of it wasn't true, genuine pain. The sharp stabs followed by twitching muscles was mostly phantom pains as my mind kept getting overwhelmed by memories.

And each memory was followed with a stab of pain as my muscles locked, spasming without control. Truthfully, our quick departure from Curtis' lands hadn't really helped.

Glancing down at my scared hands, I moved them out of the water, flexing the fingers and eying the slight, almost imperceivable tremble to them.

Even after surgery... I'm still fucked up beyond repair.

Seeing Max after all this time... A low growl snarled through my throat before I huffed, splashing some of the hot water in my face. Hoping that it wasn't too obvious I had cried.

Why did that bastard have to show up? Ruin whatever small modicum I had that resembled happiness?

My wolf whined as I yawned in stress, dunking my head under the water once more before my eyes landed on my scars. I didn't get it... why would he do all this to me, treat me like filth... only to come running as if I was a helpless damsel in distress?

Each thick line that grew an ugly red in the heat of the tub, standing out as if to shout the memory of their creation.

Hot breath seconds before teeth dug in, shaking and tearing through muscle. Deafening snarls and snapping of teeth as my attention zipped from one wolf to another, trying to prevent them from getting a hold of me, trying to flee, to hide-

My thumb rubbed over my wrist, feeling the joint push against the skin at an awkward angle. I still remembered the pain as sharp teeth bypassed my fur, pierced through my skin before Max' jaws clenched shut and shook-

A sharp jolt of pain webbed through my wrist before I hissed, pressing harder against the thick scars. Slight tapping against the window made me startle, teeth baring with a growl to warn off the intruder before I realized it was just the snow.

With my heart thundering in my chest, I observed the white fluff circling through the air, tapping softly against the window as the wind slowly picked up in strength.

Frustration filled my mind before I sighed, leaning towards the soaps. "Bastard put me on edge.." I grumbled to myself, sniffing at the soaps before squeezing a handful in my palm.

The actual washing was quick, mindless as I tried my best not to linger on my scars. But how could I ignore them, when they turned a harsh pink against my skin, when every motion I made was followed with stabbing aches and tensed muscles.

When my dreams consist of nightmares focused on the past...

A knock echoed through the room as I was just stepping on the tub, making my heart jump in my chest. Stumbling to snag the towel off the lip of the tub and wrap it around my hips, my heartrate skyrocketed when another soft knock sounded.

"Kyle? Are you still awake? You didn't fall asleep in there, right?" Drake asked with a mixture of amusement and worry. A soft huff of amusement escaped me as my shoulders relaxed.

"No, I'm awake... Just... didn't really focus on the time. I'll be right out." I replied, unplugging the tub and drying myself off as the water slurped noisily down the drain.

As I wiped the steam off of the mirror, for a moment, I saw my younger self. How I had been when I had just arrived in Max's pack.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Nausea swarmed through my gut as I got dressed after the first proper bath I had in...ages. The fact that I was deep within pack territory, hell, within the pack house, the entire pack behind a few wooden doors-

I swallowed down against the slight fear, instead focusing on the overwhelming joy that came from my wolf.

We finally found our mate. The one thing we always wanted and even more, he had accepted us. Max hadn't questioned me being a nomadic wolf, had accepted me with open arms.

Fingers curled around the sink, I wiped the fog away from the mirror and grinned at my reflection as for the first in a long time, I felt complete.

A pack that hadn't attacked me on the spot. Being lucky enough to find my mate, especially whilst being so young, so we had a lifetime to share with one another...

"You're one lucky dog, Kyle." I smirked at my reflection before getting dressed, rushing the process so I could get out and go to my mate-

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Backing away from the mirror, I grimaced and let my hand drop from the smooth surface, instead tracing the marred flesh on my shoulder and throat. And shivered when I swore I could feel the hot breath pant against my throat before teeth had shredded it apart.

Some lucky dog you are...

I sneered at myself before sighing, ruffling a hand through my hair to shake off the last of the moisture droplets. As I opened the door, I blinked up into Drake's face, catching both of us off guard as he had been reaching up to rap his knuckles against the door once more.

"Oh- Uh...I didn't mean to- I mean-" Drake blinked, eyes darting down once before he rocked back on his heels, rubbing his neck awkwardly before he coughed, keeping his eyes averted.

Confused, I followed his example and let my eyes flit down while standing in the doorway. And then I realized that I had strutted out the bathroom in just my boxers.

The heat that lingered in my skin from the hot bath, was nothing compared to the hot flash that raced up to my skin. I had half a mind to close the door again, to hide behind it but my wolf snuffed out that thought.

Why do you need to hide?

The initial, knee-jerk reaction was simple. Because I'd get hurt. But the second I thought that, I dismissed it. Drake was nothing like Max. From day one he had cared about me, about my wolf and I.

He had never pressed his desires on me, had always strived to push my needs Completely the opposite of Max, who had rushed headlong into the relationship, had urged me to move in with the pack as soon as we met one another.

And back then, I had agreed with Gavin; It's too soon. It was too quick, even though we were mates, were fated to be together. We were still strangers. He didn't know me.

And it seemed that I never knew him.

Warm fingers brushed underneath my chin before gently tilting it upwards. Eyes soft, compassionate as he smiled with understanding.

"Are you hungry?"

I blinked in surprise before smiling to myself. Drake didn't ask the obvious "Are you okay?" like most would, because he knew I wasn't okay, and he understood that I didn't want to have my nose pressed in that fact.

Nodding, I cleared my throat as Drake smiled and stepped out of the way. "Yeah," I croaked whilst reaching for my clothes, "I could eat something."

"Good," Drake nodded, coughing once before he grinned slightly, eyes flitting towards the door that led out. "Tutu heard we got home and she's prepping a ton of food."

My stomach gurgled audibly at that, startling us before laughter filled the room. As I got dressed, I could feel Drake's gaze on my back, like a soft and warm caress.

Never lustful or possessive, just... respectable, interested yes, but he showed me that he was willing to wait. I cleared my throat once I was done, smiling as Drake was already waiting patiently.

"Now, word has gotten around that we have a new addition." Drake spoke slowly as we headed out, holding the door so I could easily move through.

For a moment, I assumed he meant little Ellie but when his gaze didn't leave mine, I frowned. "Me? And why is that... I mean, is that a bad thing?"

Drake instantly shook his head, waving away my worries with ease. "No, of course not. It's just that..." he sighed, scratching through his hair with an apologetic look. "Just like Max, my ex has the tendency to pop up unannounced at the news of a new pack member... And seeing how I'm actually showing interest in you-"

"He'll take it as well as if you guys were actually mated and someone flirts with you." I finished, realizing that Drake was trying to warn me of the behavior, of his ex.

Drake nodded, looking troubled and tired. "I've told him time and time again that what I do after... that happened, is none of his business anymore." He sighed, averting his eyes. "But I'm worried that he'll..."

At Drake's helpless motion between us, I understood, could feel my wolf stop its retreat and instead reach forwards. It was still hesitant, as was I, but I understood and slowly leaned against Drake's side, to silently offer him support.

Because he was afraid that his ex would step in and ruin what Drake was trying to build up. Exactly like I was afraid that Max was going to try and weasel his way into the pack, to grovel and beg and act like just because he said he's sorry, everything would be better.

When Drake shivered, I leaned in further, slowly wrapping my arms around his waist. Muscles spasming, anticipating the moment where I had to leap back, where I would get slapped in the face for opening up once more.

I did jump slightly when Drake's arms wrapped around my own waist. And then I sighed, wolf purring in the first hug I had since...

When was the last time I got hugged?

A whine slipped from my throat before it was hushed by Drake, arms tightening in response. His scent, clouded with hormones and pheromones was almost pungent as I buried my nose in his throat, could feel him do the same.

This...this is nice...

And if someone were to ask me about it later, I would blame my wolf for nuzzling against Drake's warm skin... leaving my own scent mark there for all to sniff.

"Thank you, Kyle." He murmured, slowly leaning out of the hug and his eyes... So dark, filled with haunting memories and pain, fighting with the growing wonder and joy, happiness and something-

My stomach trembled as I averted my eyes, giving him a muffled reply before feeling my heart jump when his hand landed on my lower back, guiding me in the dining hall.

And smiled when my eyes landed on Ellie's wide-eyed expression as her plate nearly towered over the poor pup. Drake barked out a laugh at the sight of his mother and grandmother doting on the pup, gazing lovingly at the child while the males poked fun at their mates.

Like a true family...one that I belong to.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.3M 54.8K 66
The day I turned 18 was supposed to be the happiest day of my life. The beginning of my future with my mate but it all turned to hell when I was reje...
654K 13.5K 24
Ten seconds passed, and then twenty and then thirty and then I felt the heart wrenching pain of unsaid rejection, My mate had his arms around his cho...
2.4M 54.5K 32
Sam was the lonely wallflower of her pack. She was the goodie two shoes that was as innocent as an angel; she never drank or smoked. But when she rea...
1.1M 29.6K 33
Ever since Adam came out as gay his been bullied by the pack especially by his brother Mark. The only reason why he stays in the pack is because of h...