Time Limit - f.h

By brightyellowtaxi

The year is 1963. Xantara Gussman, niece of Elliot, is a not-so-ordinary girl living a not-so-ordinary life... More

Playlist
1 | Peace
3 | Past, Present, Future
4 | Sweet Sorrow
5 | Animal Instinct
6 | When I fall in love
7 | Family
8 | Reasons
9 | Power
10 | Pretending
11 | 7 Stages
12 | Grassy Knoll
13 | The Start of The End
14 | What Could've Been
15 | The Final Showdown
Final A/N

2 | Indications

305 7 7
By brightyellowtaxi

XANTARA
•1963•

The boy had left a while ago. He had eventually paid for my drink and some fries with the spare change in his blazer and walked out. It needed no goodbye. After all, we were strangers.

Reading didn't feel quite the same after he had gone so I decided to pack up my things. As I turned to the door, I glanced at the clock above it absentmindedly. "Shit" I mumbled and quickened my pace.

When I got out onto the pavement, most of the women had dispersed and I found it easy to navigate my way through the rest of the crowd. I began to jog, clutching my bag so it didn't crash against my left leg with every step.

I knew I had to be home for 3
I thought
So how did I end up losing an hour in that diner

Something about that boy made time non-existent

I turned the corner, taking all the shortcuts I'd learnt over the years. When I got to Haigh Way I knew to jump over the cracks in the floor below me. When I reached Rain Street, I remembered to wave to Mr and Mrs Fawn at the record shop.

Finally I was home. The Morty's Television Radio sign hung on the back door and I didn't hesitate to walk inside. Instead of heading straight up to the top floor, I went in through the shop, knowing I had to clean up for tomorrow's opening anyway.

Just as I was about to greet Uncle Elliot, I heard him shriek and clamber around for something. I waited, but after no retaliation, I carried on to the main counter. It may seem bizarre, but Uncle El's 'cries for help' usually meant he thought something from inside his photos had moved.

"You from the Pentagon? Huh?"
"Definitely not"

This made me stop. There was someone with him.
Elliot had planned for this: he told me if anything strange were to happen, where I was to find a weapon.

Always so superstitious.

In this case, I reached inside one of the show TVs- slowly as though not to make a sound- and grasped a knife.
He also told me not to use it and hide. Like hell I was going to listen to that if he was in danger.

I peeked my head around the door and looked into the foyer, knife pressed flat against my back.

They were upstairs.

He screamed again and this time I didn't hesitate in climbing up the stairs immediately. It was quiet for a while. I was quieter. I heard the familiar clinking of the coffee pot. Footsteps. I raised the knife. Ready to swing.

Then my eyes were met with those same ones from the diner. I lowered my weapon and sighed, "Jesus Five".

Initially, he seemed confused, "Xantara?" He mumbled, mostly to himself.
I shook my head, my hand pressed on my forehead, "Just Tara,"
His exterior seemed to soften for a second but he swiftly looked away.

"This Columbian?" He gestured to the coffee in his hands. I noticed his voice waver, Uncle El didn't. He had his hands raised in front of him, like I had a second ago except he was holding a much smaller weapon. It looked like... my nail file?

"It's my own blend," he said before turning his head to me, keeping his eyes fixed on Five, "Tara go downstairs please"

"No need" Five replied. And looked at me with a small smile, his eyes meeting mine for just a second. Long enough. I returned it and nodded to Elliot, directing my next words to him.

"Scrawny shorts here wouldn't hurt us," five chuckled at this, "you can put the weapon down, it's okay". I saw his shoulders lower and I walked over to embrace him.

I pulled away from the hug.

"They loved me though, right Unci?"

"Of course sweetheart"

We were sat on the brown leather sofa, the checked green blanket wrapped tightly around me. Elliot wiped tears from my puffy eyes, his thumb taller than the space from my chin to the bottom of my nose.

"So why did mummy and daddy go?" I whimpered and the room turned cold.

"Shhhh," he whispered, turning me so that his hand was in mine and I was leant against his side at an angle at which I could see he was being serious. "You're parents loved you more than anything in the whole wide world, and that's why they had to go to work for a while. Because it meant that you'd be safe,".

"But Jane's parents go to work, and- and you go to work Unci and y-you always come back s-so-so why didn't mummy and daddy come back?" I sniffled.

"It's okay kiddo, it's all going to be okay,"

"Jeez you don't have heating in here do you?" Five mumbled and I snapped back to reality. The two others had moved and Five was marvelling at the various newspapers pinned on the walls. "Did you get a good look at any of them?" He continued their conversation as I moved forward to rest on the same sofa from my previous thoughts. 

Five's back was to me for the most part but when I caught a glimpse of his face, my breath hitched ever so slightly. His jawline was sharp in contrast with his calm emerald eyes. He moved with purpose and held his mug delicately.

Uncle El was clicking in my direction, "-calling a woman's name... a woman's name uhh"

"Allison," I finished automatically

He seemed to burst with excitement, "Allison!"

Five muttered something and turned his head away from my staring gaze. I waited to connect with those eyes again.

"Yeah he wasn't the only one. Uh the others came too, on and off over the years looking for each other. Eventually they..."

"They stopped" I completed. I was used to finished Uncle El's sentences when he couldn't think of the right words.

In a blur, Elliot was moving backwards to me, stumbling and repeating his name desperately. I moved in front of him instinctively.

"Whatever all ri-"

I inhaled sharply under Five's stern gaze as he looked down on me ever so slightly. He didn't move, but rather let his body return to its indifferent state. Clearly, I was not the person he was expecting to direct his anger towards. He blinked a few times and I noticed how prominent his eyes actually were: the sun seemed to make them shine in an emerald haze that searched mine with a questionable determinacy. It only fuelled my curiosity. 

He exhaled and his shoulders fell which made my head lightly tilt to the side. Not only did he stop his rampage, but he seemed to relax at the same time. It was a reaction that was unpredictable yet addictive. 

I watched with regret as his eyes turned distant but still bore into mine.

It was only then that I grasped the reality of the last mere seconds.

"Did you just teleport?!" I exclaimed, moving sharply to the side to face both Elliot and Five at once, a clear look of confusion prominent on my face.

"That's a bit of a delayed reaction darling," he smirked, "but I prefer to use the term... spacial jump"

With wide eyes, I slowly nodded. Part of me didn't believe the idea of powers was strange, even though my mind was begging me to scream. Surely that's because I'd grown up with Elliot, the town crazy, right?

Five spoke to Elliot, "I got 10 days to find them and save the human race from the end of the world. Now I need your help to do that,"

The end of the world.

I dragged my feet away from them to the desk a few paces away, busying myself, my body fumbling for breath, my mind fumbling for truth.

My attention was regained as I watched my uncle cautiously hand Five a snippet of a newspaper.

"Ah yes. We always thought that mugshot looked like arrival number four" I added, seeing Elliot fight for words.

"So then, that's helpful?" His hand trembling.

"You have no idea,"

Five turned around sharply as if ready to... spacial jump... but I stopped him, raising a hand in the air.

"Excuse me!" I near shouted, nonchalantly. He turned and looked with at me with a psychotic expression: slightly furrowed brows, parted lips, wide eyes with small pupils, arms held slightly outwards. "How are you expecting to get visitation without ID? That's assuming you are going to the mental institution right?" I challenged him.

"I don't need ID, I'll break somebody's neck if it means I get answers from my brother,"

"Oh yea sure. Jump into a homicidal rage in a mental institution. I'm sure they have a white outfit for you too and maybe a new room? Do you prefer padded or-"

"So what do you suggest?" He ran his hands through his hair. I was right. He knew it.

"I know Dorris, she's a frequent visitor here and just happens to work behind the desk at the nut house so," I stood straight from my previously slouched position, hands behind my back like a child, innocently, "if I came with you, then maybe I could get you visitation,".

To be honest, I don't know why I wanted to go with the boy. He was attractive (and that no doubt helped): slightly taller than me, broad shoulders, little ankles and most likely insane, but that wasn't what urged me to join him...

Part of me knew this was meant to happen. I was meant to fight against whatever this 'end of the world' shit was.

He looked me up and down, I wore my favourite outfit: a white short sleeved turtle neck tucked into a black and white patterned skirt that reached just below mind thigh, all connected by a big black belt. On my feet I styled my pristine white go-go boots that Uncle El had got me for my birthday last year: they came to a slight point and travelled up nearly as high as my knee. I looked good today and Five noticed this almost immediately. His gaze lingered for a second longer than it should've.

"Fine, but this doesn't mean-"
"Yes it probably does," I interrupted rolling my eyes and walking over to him. He chucked at my remark but was quick to hide it.

"A-are you -uh- sure, Tara?"

I gave no reply but jogged over to give Uncle Elliot a kiss on the cheek.

"So how do we do this?" I said to Five, knowing he was getting impatient, fast.

"Just hold on to me and try not to throw up" he was reeling with sarcasm.

As soon as I slinked my hand around his upper arm he zipped away and then we were stood outside the building. I stumbled a bit under the sudden weight of my own knees but Five had put his arm around my waist and held me upright. His eyes met mine, whizzing over my features in a worried manner but I regained my strength straight away, playing the situation off.

"Thanks," I whispered.

If I were to fight alongside the textbook superhero, I'd have to start acting like one too. Powers or not.

He stood there for a moment longer before I walked forward to the entrance, expecting him to let go and walk beside me. But he didn't let go. His arm even tightened around my waist as we walked on together.

It felt right.

"Xantara! What a pleasure!" We were swiftly greeted by a kind lady behind a bland front desk. She tapped her nails onto the wooden exterior top, they were a pale pink colour, long to a point and manicured. "Now who's this young boy you've brought with you?". She latched her eyes onto the hand Five still held around my waist and she raised her eyebrows knowingly.

"We're here to see Diego Hargreeves," Five said while I was stuttering to answer her question.

Who was he really? To me.

"Please," I simply finished his sentence out of habit, nudging Five's side at his rudeness. "See my... friend ... here is his brother and we were wondering if he was available to talk. It's been too long," I pouted. Many folks around here still thought of me as Elliots girl. I didn't mind that. I did mind however, that they continued to believe 'Elliot's girl' was seven years old. This time, it worked to my advantage.

"Aw sweetie of course!" She said, hand clutching her heart, "Aren't you two just adorable,". She wrinkled her nose and I could see the red lipstick stained on her teeth as her lip curled up.

I hoped she wouldn't reach out to pinch our cheeks like she would normally in fear that Five would bite her hand off. As a caution, I backed away to sit on one of the chairs in the reception while she made a phone call requesting Five's brother.

He sat beside me.

"You read all your friends poems?" emphasising the friends.

Desperate to get the last word in, I blurted, "Do you have any friends?"

"Xantara!" the shrill voice of Mrs Dorris Webber's called. And I shot up from my seat, knowing Five would trail behind. "Albert here will guide you to his room," she exaggerated the movement of her pointer finger towards a burly man of about 40 years. He had well groomed hair yet a matted, blonde beard. His eyes were set on me, the small windows of his face covered by his furrowed, bushy eyebrows. His arms were crossed and his muscles practically burst out of the thin white shirt he wore.

Five's hand returned to my waist. This time, I noticed, he pushed forward a little so that I was still visible but behind him. Protected.

My heart fluttered.

The man (going by the name Albert) swiftly turned and we followed his suit, staying 5 steps behind the whole time.

When we reached the door I peered inside and saw we were the first to arrive. A hand fell over softly to my stomach, "Hey," he looked down on me with concern, "stay out here okay, I'll only be a minute,"

"Five-"

"Please,"

Despite only knowing the boy for a matter of hours, I knew this meant more to him than just 'visiting his brother'. I mean, he used manners!

I stepped aside.

"Next time I'm coming with you," I told him seriously to which he quietly laughed.

"I know,"

He stepped inside of the room, followed by Albert and I awkwardly stood opposite a nurse with a pressed white dress on. I leant against the wall, fiddling with a loose end of my hair and then the double doors were closed, blocking my view completely from anyone going in or out of the room.

"Daisy!" A mans voice called from downstairs.
"Oh I'm coming I'm coming," she shouted back, quickly clipping the back onto her earring.

Her hand whisked around the rim of the glass of water delicately, making its insides freeze to a cool temperature. She gulped it's contents down, an extreme thirst overwhelming her. She rushed out of her room and down the small staircase toward her lover.

"Wow," he whispered as he watched his wife descend the stairs, joining to meet her at the bottom. "You look..."

He was lost for words.

She blushed under his adoring gaze and he went to place his palm on the side of her cheek.

Just as he made contact, his eyes grew grey and milky. She instantly went to the hand that cupped her face and held it in her own, unfazed.

After a moment or so, his eyes returned to the golden brown haze she was used to. But they were clouded with thick tears. "What did you see in your vision this time dear?"

He ignored her question. "We need to cancel the dinner reservation hunny," and Jack grinned the widest smile she'd ever seen him wear.

She looked at the positive stick on the floor and cried tears of overdue joy. Her husband to the right of her... and their child. The three of them. For evermore.

That's what they believed it to be anyway.

"Tara?"

He reached to caress my forearm and instantly pulled back, clutching his hand.

"Five -oh my gosh- I'm so sorry," I spluttered, not knowing how I'd hurt him, "are you okay?"

"Jesus," he mumbled and ushered me toward a desolate corridor. "Are you feeling okay?" he hesitantly reached his knuckles to my forehead, only to find no sign of heat in the slightest. When he turned over his palm, there was a slight burn.

"Are you?" I was quick to inspect his small wound and quick to assume all the guilt. "I'm so so sorry Five I don't even know what happened I mean it's never happened before-"

His other hand cupped my cheek whilst his injured one pushed a loose strand of hair behind my ear, causing me to stop and breath.

I'd grown used to the calming affect he had on me.

"Let's just get you home okay?" His eyes flickered between mine and he wore an unreadable expression. I nodded and went to hold his arm, bracing myself for the buzz of space travel. Only to feel five tilt my head up to his once again, a smile forming after seeing my scrunched up eyes open in confusion.

"Let's walk,"

"So, Uncle El huh?"

We'd been walking in silence for a few minutes after leaving Diego at the hospital. The only contact we'd had was a few side glances and giggles (mainly on my behalf... but not all).

"Yep. I don't think he'd appreciate it if you started calling him that though," I laughed at the thought, "but he wouldn't say anything. Between you and me, he's fascinated but kinda creeped out by you,".

He laughed out loud this time and my heart swelled. I looked at him in awe until he squinted at the sun, shielding his eyes. I turned away and sniggered at his expression.

Five coughed, embarrassed, "That sun comes out of nowhere,".

When I continued to laugh, he grabbed my hands and spun my round making me roar even louder. "You think that's funny?" He exclaimed, laughing himself now.

After I calmed down, we walked side by side. He still kept a hold of my left hand after our outburst and I swung it slightly.

"My parents," I said thoughtfully, remembering the conversation we started earlier, "they had to leave when I was young. So Uncle- I mean Elliot, took me in as his own, after their request. They were friends for a few years before as far as I know,"

When I finished, I realised he was staring at me.

"Enjoy it before I give you something to stare at," I joked, jumping slightly to become level with his eyes. At my attempt to be serious, he just laughed and shook his head, turning the corner and arriving at the back entrance.

"Look, I've got to go hunt down Luther and I have a feeling the place I end up... well you'll be better off here,"

"Luther?" I pressed

"My brother,"

Another one?

"Okay," was all I said. Even though I wanted to force myself to go too, I was surprisingly tired after the scene at the institution. He nodded and turned to leave. "Just be safe," I called.

Five stopped as though he was debating his next move in a game of precise chess.

He quickly moved towards me and pressed his lips to my forehead, still having to bend a bit to reach.

He lingered there for a little longer. I wished for more time. Why didn't we have more time?

I let his head rest against mine for a moment before he pulled away and all that remained was a haze of blue energy.

Remember to leave a vote please- it would really help me out !

Thank you, I hope you enjoyed.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

129K 1.8K 36
You and five were best friends adopted by the same father. You are known as number eight your powers with the same as five space and time travel. One...
1.8K 162 22
It's the end of the world as they...don't know it. Five Hargreeves is supposedly back from the dead and Y/n Hargreeves, the eighth umbrella, tries to...
404 37 9
A Five x OC, Umbrella Academy read! Started: 02/28/2024 Finish: 00/00/0000 Summary: A/N: the story is probably written better than this summary. 😭 A...
163 11 15
If time would heal all wounds, why does it still hurt? If time was infinite, why do things end? If time was so beautiful, why does it always go ugly...