Jess and the Odd Dilemmas of...

By MayaCarlsen

"There is a lot of memories And they're eating me up from inside Do you mind if I gather my thoughts They... More

#1 Dreams
#2 The Girl with Dragon Breath
#3 Heroine
#4 William Doesn't Smoke
#6 Chin Up
#7 Concussion
#9 Cigarettes
#8 Salt and Vinegar
#10 Ma and Ka eat Ramen
#11 Tomboy Syndrom
#12 Izzy

#5 Fairies Singing in Star Dresses

33 0 0
By MayaCarlsen

A/N: It's my party, and I'll write whatever I want to. (So much angst fluff) Also consider this an introduction to my precious star baby Travis. Fae are Hispanic, nonbinary, blond, and really really eccentric. Fae are actually 19 but Fae can't graduate cause of money and purposefully dunking faer grades. I'm sure I messed up faer age somewhere else but fae're two years older than Jessie. Plus fae're an Aquarius. Carter is also a biracial African-American/Puerto Rican, which I'm only stating to explain a line of dialogue.  

     Travis was smiling the brightest rose pink smile fae had worn in a long, long time. Fae had seated themselves in faer usual place across from me in our four desk squares that cramped the History 12-2 classroom with fae's assortment of color coded notebooks, pencil pouch of gel pens for notes and book of the week which happened to be American Gods for the third week in a row. Faer newly purple dyed hair was up in an elaborate bun fae said helped with studying and faer usual rose colored lips and midnight eyeshadow was on but fae had gone a step beyond the usual Monday attire. Instead of a skirt or even a blouse like fae might wear to exhibit the fact that fae're  a proud nonbinary human, Travis was in a celestially designed dress with a ruffled skirt that went to faer knees and capris covering faer thighs with faded red converse. Fae were so proud, strutting in a full fifteen minutes before the bell with a high head and beaming smile. I couldn't help but grin as faer sat with me. "Looking good, Sinclair. God, when did you buy that? It looks great." Fae giggled like fae always do when fae're excited as fae slid onto the hard plastic chairs. "Lilly's mom took me shopping last week and well, she said I needed a new dress. Matches the hair, don't ya think?" I cackled, my smile growing brighter by the second. I hadn't noticed it but fae had even repainted faer nails a dusk purple to match. "Holy hell! Who did your nails? Seriously, your left doesn't even have any run off. Whenever I do it, it looks like I tried to apply it with a spray can!" Fae rolled faer eyes, smiling. I knew Trav didn't need me ogling everything fae had done but I honestly was proud of fae. The facility at Denton Public High wasn't the most supportive although the students excepted us both when we came out for the most part.

As Trav began to explain that fae were ambidextrous and could use faer left hand better than faer right, a kid who had moved up for A.P. classes tapped my shoulder. "Hey cats! I was wondering if you could tell me where you bought that ring." He began pointing at Travis' amethyst ring on faer middle finger. "Ya see I've been trying to buy something for my lover and they kinda love purple so I thought they would like one." Trav smiled shyly as fae explained, "My girlfriend bought it for my birthday. I think she got it from Daring Dolly but I'm not sure. I just remember her mentioning it when she gave it to me." The boy nodded, as he went in for the kill. "By the way, I love your dress. My lover has one just like it. He was gonna throw it out but he couldn't help it. He adores it." Travis was frozen as faer nervous smile grew wider into an excited grin. "Really? I'd love to meet him." They both laughed as I sat there completely dumbfounded. My grin just kept stretching until it felt like it was about to crack my face. "Holy hell," I exclaimed as he slinked down in the chair next to me. "You're in my advanced Lit., how did I not know this?!" I exclaimed slumping back in my chair as fae laughed.

Travis look so happy, fae must've been so worried putting it on, and fae must've been getting compliments all day. Sometimes I was really proud of our eight hour hell, at least the lost souls tried to help each other. We talked for the next three minutes before the bell interrupted our enlightening conversation about cats dominating the world. The history teacher, Mr. Fleming, trudged in exactly as it rung like always. I still wish for home room first but of course, we have to face the mockery of the disgusting Flem-Ass first thing in the morning. Let me just say the day we came out he said we had to explain because the class wouldn't want to spend ten minutes of their free time reading about a made up name that's used in 'your military'. But he failed to notice that the kids had already searched it and some were even running up with tears cause they were different too.

He let out a muffled greeting as he began room call. He wouldn't stop glaring at Travis, causing faer leg to jiggle. "Miss Abe, Mister Adams," he groaned as he saw my name, which made me grin like an idiot. Travis even smiled slightly. "Allens, you here." I let out a low chuckle like usually. "Surely, Fuckwad, you didn't think I would leave you with my lil kid over here! Hell you might turn out to be a racist asshole too." I yelled to him, jabbing my thumb at the nervous freshman who had been so gracious as to sit with us. "Don't want your bigoted ass scaring 'em off."

The class snickered as I triumphantly threw my boots on my desk. He let out a sigh, rubbing his temple before he replied. "Miss Allens, I've told you multiple ti-"
"It's Mister Allens!" Kelly, the third best cheerleader in the school, interrupted as he misgendered me. That made our little group grin like a gang of greasers. The entire school liked to pick on specific people but only this class really united to give this asshat a hard time.
"Yes, I know, Mister Allens, I've told you multiple times not to curse in class." I just cackled.
"Well this is muthafuckin' America. And according to your glorious text books, true American spirit is represented in fighting against your masters."
I stood, my shoulders tightening and my boots ringing loudly as I strode towards the desk.
"So, I'll fight you until you know my real fucking name. Until you know that you can't control my mouth cause words are pure bullshit that we give power. And I won't stop until my friend feels normal wearing 'girl's' clothes because they're just clothes and fae look fucking amazing in a dress."
I leaned into his face with the biggest shit eating grin I could muster as cheers rung behind me.
"That's why, I never want to hear the word Miss in front of my name or Mister in front of Trav's. We're human fucking beings! The least you can do is act like you know our gender."
I finished with a final kick to the desk. I swear some kid threw their binder up with a flash of paper catching my eye. I heard a lot of chants of "Fuck the system" behind my back. I just tilted my head and grinned.
"You can continue your dumbass roll call. But I don't think they'll quiet down." I grinned, gave him a salute then twirled on my heels.

They were a mess, throwing notebook confetti and tap dancing on desks as the loud chorus rose. Shoes were tossed, girls were taking each other by the arm and acting as rallies to the cheers. People stomped with a beat made unison and yelled the words.
Fuck the system, screw you, will do what we wanna do! Respect the youth or you're through!Truly inspired. Travis was standing on a table, with the kid in tow, pumping faer fists in the air as the chanting grew louder. I stood with them taking faer hand in mine with a grin.
"Fuck the system, screw you, will do what we wanna do! Fuck the system, screw you, will do what we wanna do! Respect the youth or you're through!"
We cheered and a roar rose from the twenty three of them. It's insane how loud twenty six teens could be. I let out a cackle as a jock launched his open binder in an explosion of doodled lined paper. Fleming just stood behind his desk with wide eyes, promptly ignoring Kyle as he drew phallic symbols and crude synonyms of bigot pointing to his head. I howled as the chanting reigned.
"Hey anyone got a phone with a decent music selection? Trav would you mind getting the speaker?"
Fae nodded excitedly noting my grin. It was time to bring the noise. I was handed a nice new Android from some guy with a hand painted Gorillaz switchback, good sign. Travis got the table speaker straight of the desk with a flourish as fae ripped them from the computer. Thank god they had premium on Spotify. The guitar rang out and a roar rose. Travis whooped and Newbie halted his confetti throwing to listing with perked ears. I let out a roar as I belted the lyrics.

'Don't wanna be an American Idiot! Don't want a nation ruled by the media.' Rang out as Billy Joel's gorgeous howl filled the room. Chaos reined, lyrics were butchered, anything and everything were used as fake mics, and the few people that had never heard the song yelled the hardest. All three of us knew each lyric and knew exactly to stomp with the drums. It was a pure glorious mess. Then came Holiday and the room shook.
'Hear the sound of the fallen rain, coming down like an Armageddon flame. Hey!' This was when even the unknowing could bounce and pound along with the people like me who see Billy as punk rock Jesus. Take note revolutionists, Green Day is the ultimate unifier of angered equalist teens around the world. Nirvana doesn't hurt either.

The class quieted, clapping and stomping with the bass as our small group pretended to be 'The Representative from California'. "This song isn't anti-American, it's anti-war!" I yell with a growl.
'Bang,Bang! Goes the broken glass and, kill all the fags that don't agree! Trails by fire setting fire is not a way that's meant for me! Just cause, hey hey!, just cause we're outlaws yeah!' The fact the new kid was going along so well made me grin like an idiot.

This was not a first by any means, last time we used Little Game but not many knew the words. And Matt Fishel was a mixed response. Still Girls/Girls/Boys did well and Against Me! always gets acclaim. Me and Travis had become sort of flash mob masters. Every time it worked and even if it was fun and harmless someone got way too into it all. In Literature we use them for celebrations but in here they're for power. Fleming doesn't control us and we won't be chained.

I paused before it could start Boulevard and asked if there were any requests. "How bout that chick from the Macklemore track ?"
I nodded stiffly typing in Mary Lambert's album faster than my eyes could register. Secrets is always good; joyful, free speaking, and even better when you know she's gay. Unfortunately I couldn't play Panic! before Mr. Chase walked in.

By some twisted law of fate, it was always my favorite teacher who catches me. "Allens, what in the world have you done this time?"
I groaned over the techno backed vocals of Brendon Urie as he sung about deceit. "Really! It was just getting fun."
I pouted kicking the cup of pens off Fleming's desk. He sighed more pestered then angry.
"What did you tell him this time Jack? And please tell me it has nothing to do with what I think it does."
He questioned, striding over the mess to our history teacher. The class had quieted, the kid with the switch back turning the music to a quiet hum. Travis stepped off the desk and took my hand cautiously. I squeezed it with a smile. 'We're not going straight back home.' I try to telepathically reassure fae but fae knows that.

"Well, I-I... I was performing roll call when she cussed and I w-"
Mr. Chase shook his head.
"He cursed. Because, Mr. Fleming, Jessy Allens does not like being treated as you treat women, nor as someone of lower importance."
Mr. Chase cut in, with a slight showing of American Sign Language as he pushed up his reading glasses. I smiled yet kept my cheers to myself, although that didn't stop some of the others from whooping. "Mr. Allens," He began turning to face me with a smile in his eye behind his stern grey eyes. He silenced the entire class with the thick sense of looming fear. "I'll need you to turn the music down. I've told you before, you can have your fun if it's warranted but don't distract other classes. Just keep it down a bit. Also, lovely dress, Sinclair." He finished with a beaming smile.

The class roared with the two of us cackling our heads off. My phone buzzed and I flipped it open to read a message he'd sent. 'Bring Travis and the youngster outside. We still need to talk so I can defend you three.' I sighed showing Trav the text, which caused fae to sigh. Fae shrugged and helped me off the desk. The music was loud enough to cover the door closing behind us as we pulled Newbie with us.

Mr. Chase was not angry, he was concerned.
"Jessie, did you do this for Travis, yourself, or Fleming?" I snarled. I hated this, hated having to explain why I did what I've done. There's no secretary writing my every thought.
"I did it for both of us. He was testing me the moment he walked in." Travis's shoes squeaked as fae scraped faer heel across the floor.
"Why did you think that?" I stared at the intriguing crack in the linoleum tile.
"He was glaring at Travis, refused to acknowledge me and misgendered me. Even did it again with you, someone he knows I respect completely. He hates us and the only reason this class is as loud and repulsed as they are is because of what he's done to us and showed them what he thinks of them."
Chase sighed heavily rubbing at sleep in his eyes.

He helped me and Travis so much at this hell hole and he had to deal with that ass on a regular basis. He even let me use his computer to speak with William when I thought my dad had broken mine. He took care of kids like us yet he was only one person in a stew of bitter bigots.
"I understand but I've been watching long enough to know Carter here was more involved with you two then any other student. Now why is that?"

Newbie froze as Chase's steely eyes met his. He sighed rubbing his neck nervously. "Well, you already know I'm in a relationship but, my lover came out as trans. He told me he was so frightened of this place he doesn't even want to come back until he's changed his name and gender completely. I'm worried about him but, every time he hears a story about Jess and Travis he smiles and eggs me on like they're his heroes. They're his idols and they go to his school. I care about him and I want him to be happy, so I'll do anything and everything to make him feel like he belongs. Even if that means breaking a few rules and roughing up a classroom."
He was smiling down at his Nikes, completely missing our unhinged jaws and disc shaped eyes. Mr. Chase stared past his spiked hair to meet our faces smiling wide. He fucking knew. He knew about this kid's relationship and he knew the uproar we were causing. We're the twin Avengers and his Nick fucking Fury. God, sometimes I can't believe this man. "You're not mad at us, are you?" He questioned softly causing Chase to smile gently.
"No, no of course not. I understand completely. I've heard a lot of freshmen speak in hushed tones about our little duo here." He reassured, gesturing towards us and our prideful, red cheeks.
"I'm glad it's them and not the drug dealers or gangs. Students are more accepting then the teachers most of the time. You're lover is always welcomed in my room or any room with Trav or Jessy. I hope he knows that as well." Carter's eyes lit up as he nodded.

Chase gave us a curt wave and strode down the hall with hands in his pockets. "Well, you two ready to face the swarm again?" I questioned with a smile.
Carter nodded as Travis replied with "Sure, as long as you promise to play 21 Guns with me." I laughed wrapping an arm around him.
"Of corse ya sprite. Come along Carter, gonna need ya too." He grinned taking my hand with a firm shake.
"Anything for you two. You heard me spill." He answered with a shrug as he took my hand.
"Welcome to the group newbie, it's nice to meet ya Carter." He beamed as we dragged him inside, his bright golden eyes shinning with all passion and joy of a supernova in the sky against the shinning radiance of his dark skin.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

267 0 46
What do you do when your smart, handsome, well-liked step brother and two of his friends force you to have sex with them in your own bedroom? Do you...
27.2K 1K 24
(This is a sequel to lets just say.. I was not expecting this. I suggest reading that one before reading this one or you will be completely lost!)...
445K 16.5K 41
Walking into an empty house is normal to me. I guess I got tired of saying 'I'm home' when nobody is home to reply. It wasn't always like this. I re...
62.6K 3.6K 52
Clark Robinson is your average, gay, small-town boy. With happily married parents, great friends, and a comfortable existence as a well-liked kid in...