A Hero's Shadow (BNHA x Male...

By Wolfinator12

For Y/n Kurokage being in someones shadow is the norm. With a Quirk that makes people not notice him and a gr... More

Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26

Chapter 1

13.2K 217 224
By Wolfinator12

In a world were 80% of all people have a so called Quirk, a kind of superpower that usually surfaces at the age of 4, it only was a matter of time till being a Hero, like in the comics of before the first Quirk appeared, became a thing. Of course the more people that were born with a Quirk the more the job of a Hero became advertised to the next generation. Toys, movies, posters and all kinds of merchandise turned Heroes into super stars. Because of that and the great pay some families would even go so far as to abandon their children if they didn't manifest a strong enough Quirk.

Y/n Kurokage is one of these abandoned children after his parents learned that his Quirk is, in their opinion, the exact opposite of what a Hero needs. His Quirk makes his natural presence be nigh existent, the boy could quite literally walk up to a group of people with sense enhancements and they would not notice him.

If it weren't for the fact that he cried as his parents abandoned him in Mustafu on their vacation there, Y/n would have never been picked up by a Hero who then brought him to the nearest orphanage. Why did they put him in an orphanage instead of trying to find his parents? Well the two adults made sure they would not be found even if people were to look for them.

Y/n grew up in that orphanage until he had enough from all the neglect caused by his own Quirk. He did not blame any of the caretakers there, how could he, he knew that they could not notice him until he did wish them to. Two years of being forgotten, being left out and even being ignored took their toll on the young boy and so he ran. He ran and ran until he stumbled upon a strange scene. Three boys his age were crowded around a fourth boy his age, who was crying as the other three attacked him. Y/n did not think, nor hesitate as he went to help the boy.

Blond: "Listen Deku! You think just because you stopped us from beating that idiot you are a hero? HUH?!" The very aggressive sounding blond boy said with a snarl as small firecracker like explosions errupted from his hands.

Deku: "N-no Ka-achan." The boy on the ground stuttered out. Whatever he said did not go well with the strangly named Kaachan as said boy growled in anger before trying to explode Deku. Keyword being trying, as once he went for the attack his world suddenly flipped upside down. Deku and the two lackies of the boy looked as shocked and confused as Kaachan did. That shock turned to pure panic for the blond boy as Y/n cleared his throat to get their attention shortly before he aimed a kick for the boys throat. Of course Y/n did not want to hurt the blond just scare him and so he stopped the kick short from hitting, only gently pressing the foot on Kaachand throat.

Y/n: "I would advise you to leave." Y/n said while looking at the two lackies who quickly ran away, much to Kaachans shock. "Are you going to leave once I take away my foot?" He asked Kaachan who looked very afraid, but nodded nonetheless. After he was freed he glared at Y/n and Deku.

Kaachan: "D-don't think this is other." He threatened before rushing off. Y/n turned to look at the boy they bullied and offered a hand to help him up.

Deku: "W-why would y-you help me?"

Y/n: "Why not? They did have no reason to attack you, or did they?"

Deku: "N-no... Kaachan just d-didn't like me t-trying to b-be a H-hero."

Y/n: "Why is that?" This seemed to sadden the boy as he refused to make eyecontact.

Deku: "I am Q-quirkless?" A second of silence passed.

Y/n: "So?" Deku looked up in shock and confusion. "What does your lack of Quirk have to do with you helping others?"

Deku: "No you do not understand, everyone keeps telling me that I can not be a Hero without a Quirk." Y/n sighed and sat down next to the boy.

Y/n: "Do you know what it means to be a Hero?"

Deku: "A Hero is someone that can bring a smile on everyones face, someone that makes them feel safe." Deku answered quickly.

Y/n: "And where in that difinition is the need for a Quirk? As far as I can see you could do those things without having a Quirk."

Deku: "But what if I have to fight someone?"

Y/n: "Do you want to know what my Quirk is?" Deku nodded with stars in his eyes. "I am unnoticable to everyone until I wish I am not and I do something to get someones attention."

Deku: "That is why you were able to beat Kaachan so easily." Deku pointed out.

Y/n: "Yes, he did not see it coming, but that is not the point, the point is that my Quirk does not make me stronger or faster, all I have is the moment of surprise to defeat a villain. Now guess what you have what noone else does?" Y/n did not wait for Deku to answer. "Your lack of Quirk makes everyone be on edge, they will hesitate going all out because they do not know what your Quirk might be. This can help you win, all you have to do is train to get strong enough to use your opponents hesitation." Y/n looked at Deku who looked deep in thought before Y/n could see the look of realization.

Deku: "I just have to work harder then everyone else."

Y/n: "Yep, work hard and you too can be a Hero." The greenette began to cry tears of happiness.

Deku: "Thank you so much... I NEVER ASKED FOR YOUR NAME!" Deku shouted while blushing in embarrassment.

Y/n: "Y/n Kurokage, please call me Y/n." He said while holding out his hand.

Izuku: "Izuku Midoriya. If I call you Y/n you will have to call me by my first name too." Y/n shrugged.

Y/n: "I was going to do that anyway. Who would call their Hero partner by their last name anyway?" Izuku let out a confused 'huh'. "From this day on I promise you that we will become Heroes, you will be the brightest light while I will be your shadow. You will make me stronger and I will do the same to you. Light and shadow, one can not exist without the other, together they reach new heights."

From that day onward Y/n and Izuku became best friends. Once Y/n was able to use the law, concerning how to deal with children born with strangly powerful Quirks that would pose a threat to those raising these children or to the children themself, to his advantage to be allowed to take care of himself in an apartment donated to him by the government. Of course he had to do some things to be allowed to keep it like this, first he had to prove that his Quirk would make it dangerous to raise him or to be raised by someone else other than himself, this was easy seeing that whoever tried to take care of him would forget about him in less then a single day meaning that they would not be able to raise him like they are supposed to, next he had to prove that he can take care of himself if given the opportunity. He did this other the cause of a week, he went to school like he was supposed to, ate healthily, budgeted his allowance the best he could and kept the apartment in mint condition. So two down, only one thing left to do, up until the day he joins either a regular high school or a hero school he has to write a weekly, monthly and yearly report on both his school life and his privat life.

All these rules were fine for Y/n and he did all of that without complaint. As Izuku and Y/n grew up they began to train together. Both of them needed an increase in strength. Izuku picked up boxing mainly because he was a giant All Might fanboy and so of course he wanted a similar fighting style. Meanwhile Y/n worked on his own fighting style, one that combined quick hits to weakspots with fast dodges, additionally Y/n trained the use of throwables, like flashbangs or smokegranades, of course only with toy replicas of said weaponry, and how to use clubs and batons.

The two got stronger and stronger, however the strength did not help Izuku with his bullies. The green haired boy is too much of a good guy to fight back even if it was against a bully. Luckily Y/n was not like Izuku so the group of bullies quickly became smaller and smaller, not in the way that Y/n made them disappear more like that he made sure to record the bullying and to hand in the evidence. Unfortunately Katsuki Bakugou, or Kaachan as Izuku likes to call him, was smart enough to make sure to only bully Izuku once he was 100% certain Y/n was nowhere close.

Speaking of Bakugou, the blond boy had become one of the most anoxious people Y/n knew. He was loud, short tempered and had an ego bigger then Endeavors wish to beat All Might. But at the same time Bakugou learned to fear Y/n, he had learned it through the only way he could accept, through many, many fights, all of which he had lost against the blue haired boy. The first few losses he could not accept due to his ego but after the tenth fight lost all the while Y/n stared at him with those cold, calculating eyes, that seemed to see through every lie and facade easily.

Those who had bared witness to Y/ns fights quickly took to calling the blue haired boy Phantom, because for them that was what he was, a phantom, unnoticable until it was too late. Those who fought him quickly ended on their backs, staring up into the eyes that held little to no emotions.

A few more years had passed and Y/n and Izuku were in their last year at Aldera Middle School. They were on their way to school only to come across a Villain fighting against Kamui Woods. Y/n sighed knowing what was going to happen.

Izuku: "Kuroko, look it's Kamui Woods!" The Hero fanboy said while beginning to scribble down notes. Taking notes had become a hobby for Izuku after he learned how to analyze someone from Y/n. Izuku had to agree his notes were frightening acurate but compared to what Y/n was capable to produce in less then half the time was straight up terifying. Y/n was about to tell Izuku that they are going to late if they stay till the end of the fight, but he got interrupted by a man talking to Izuku.

Man: "Taking notes I see, you must be a fanboy ay?" Izuku blushed in embarrassment.

Y/n: "Yes he is. Izuku we have to go if we do not want to be late." The man jumped in fright. "I apologize for scaring you kind sir. My Quirk is always active so not surprising someone has become nigh impossible." Y/n said to the man who held his chest trying to calm his breathing.

Man: "No no, no harm done. Are you two planning on becoming Heroes?"

Izuku: "Y-yes! Kinda..."

Man: "Kinda?" The man repeated confused.

Y/n: "I wish to become an Underground Hero, my Quirk is not meant for the lime light."

Man: "Ah I see. Well I am certain you two will do great!" He shot them a thumbs-up.

Y/n: "Thank you for the kind words sir." Y/n grabbed the back of Izukus shirt and began to drag the boy with him. While that happened Y/n spotted someone rushing towards the Villain all the while growing in size. "EVERYONE TAKE COVER!" Y/n roared hoping it would help prevent people from getting hurt. Luckily Kamui Woods had heard his scream and the Hero quickly spotted the reason why, so he opted for using his Quirk to help evacuate the civilians then trying to catch the Villain. It was a good thing he did because not a second later a gigantic woman came crashing into the Villain, tackleing the giant man right onto the pavement where mere moments before more than a dozen civilians stood.

Mt.Lady: "My name is Mt. Lady and you do not have to worry about this bum anymore." She said while striking a pose showing off her butt. Y/n sighed in anger but a tug at his sleeve stopped him from going over to tell the Heroine what he thought about her debut.

Izuku: "We should go." Y/n nodded and the two left. The day at school was a slow one and Y/n was bored out of his mind, he was easily the smartest kid at this school, closly followed by, much to his surprise, Bakugou and Izuku.

Looking at the facts that Y/n was both the smartest student and the best fighter from an outside perspective people would consider him a prodigy, which he kinda was, but most people looking at these facts do not consider that he was working harder than everyone else. Y/ns free time consisted of mostly training and studying, he would get home after school at 2 in the afternoon, until half past 4 he will do all the homework from the day and do some studying, after that he would do some working out till, followed by having dinner, once he had finished his meal he would relax for the rest of the hour, untill he went to bed at 10 PM he would once again train and study.

Finally the slow crawling day would come to an end as the bell rang for the start of the last period of the day. The homeroom teacher walked in with a stack of papers.

Homeroom Teacher: "Settle down everyone. Seeing that you are all in your third year at this school I will now hand out some documents for your future plans, please think carefully about what you write down." The teacher smiled before throwing the papers into the air. "Ah who cares, you all are aiming to be Heroes don't you?" He was met with cheering and people began to use their Quirks like little kids who just got them.

Bakugou: "Hey teach, do not lump me in with all these extras!" Bakugou said arrogantly.

HR Teacher: "Ah yes Bakugou, you are applying to UA aren't you?" Many of the students looked at the explosive kid in awe.

Bakugou: "Of course, I aced the mock tests and all, getting in will be no problem." The boy said smuggly.

HR Teacher: "It seems like Midoriya and Kurokage are also planning to apply."

Girl: "I can understand Kurokage-san but Midoriya?"

Boy: "If anyone is going to make it into UA its Kurokage."

Bakugou: "Deku." The boy growled out before lunging towards the green haired boy who tried to hide away. Before Bakugou could reach his target/victim however someone grabbed his ankle and threw him off course. This someone cleared his throat to make the effect of his Quirk go away. "Kurokage." Bakugou said angrily.

Y/n: "I know for a fact that using your Quirk outside of dedicated training areas and periods is strictly forbidden in public places." Y/n stated. "So I would advise you to go back to your seat." Bakugou began to sweat nervously under the blue haired boys unwavering cold stare. Reluctantly, yet still glaring, Bakugou went back to his seat. Y/n then turned to the rest of class. "Izuku has every right to at least try to get through the exams needed to join UA, the rule forbidding Quirkless people to join has been lifted two years ago and his marks are in the acceptable range. You too can try at applying to UA, nothing is stopping you." Y/n said matter of factly. The teacher told everyone to settle back down and began to hand out the papers after complaining about how stupid it was to throw them.

The day had ended soon after and Y/n waited for Izuku to get done with packing his stuff. They would always go home together, first they went to Izuku's where the green haired boys mother, Inko Midoriya, lovingly called Aunt Inko by Y/n, sometimes would give Y/n something she had cooked for him for dinner. Y/n had been other at Izuku's a few times, both Midoriyas knew about his living arrangements and, blessed be her golden heart, Inko had offered to adopted Y/n right then and there as she got to know the truth of Y/ns past. The offer was kindly rejected by the blue haired boy, he did not feel deservant of such an offer nor did he want to make Inko go through the tideous work raising him would mean, reason being that the loophole he had used to get his independence would also make it almost impossible to be adopted by someone without them going through hard training and passing ALOT of tests. So Y/n opted to frequently stay over at their home and to accept the meals the loving woman would make for him.

Y/n sighed as he noticed Izuku blankly staring at the document the teacher had handed out.

Y/n: "Doubting yourself again?" Y/n asked already knowing the answer.

Izuku: "What if I am not good enough? What if Kaachan and everyone else was right about me not being able to be a Hero?" The boy asked with tears in his eyes.

Y/n: "Listen Izu." Y/n rarely used the nickname he had given the boy back when they were kids, the few times he would use it however were moments he had to keep Izuku on the right path. "Other the years I had known you there were two thinks you have that make you the best candidate to be the next great Hero. First you are smart, humble and know how to fight even with your 'handicap'." Y/n put air quotes around the word handicap. "And second. You have the spirit of a true Hero, you do not wish to become a Hero for the fame or the money. You do not wish to be a Hero to prove a point or feel better about yourself, no you wish to be able to save people, to make them smile and feel save in your presence. I have watched you rush head first into danger on more times than I wish BUT all these times were to help someone. If you were to ask any Hero worth their salt what they think is the most important thing a Hero should have, nine times out of ten they would answer the spirit of self-sacrifice. A Hero has to be ready to put the lifes of other before their own. And that is what you have been doing since I know you. You can be a Hero and I promise you once again, I will be there to be your shadow."

That is it for the first chapter of my new book, I hope you liked it. Now I will tell you ahead of time that, much like 'The Weak', there will be changes to the plot of the original story. Additionally as some of you might have already noticed from the Tags, I have decided to have the MC date Momo Yaoyorozu.

Now for the result of the previous votes for this book.

1st: The Quirk is Phantom (duh)
2nd: Izuku and Y/n are best friends and Y/n will learn about Izuku getting One for All. (half-duh)
3rd: Minoru Mineta is not going to be in class 1-A.

A few other decisions have been made on my side without asking you, first being making Y/n stronger than the one in The Weak, I felt like it was the best idea, there will of course be times his lack in physical strength will come into play. Second being a few things for future chapter I do not wish to spoil yet.

Let me know what you think in the comments below.

Stay healthy and have a nice week.

Wolfy out.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

275K 8.5K 20
What if All Might didn't lose the sludge villain the second time? What if Izuku Midoriya was not knocked out of his thoughts on that rooftop by the e...
2.4K 99 5
It happened when he was three - his mother was killed, and he found that book. The book that brought him to a place far away from his home; far away...
91K 2.9K 21
{DISCONTINUED} I apologize but the passion to write and my attachment to the material are no longer there anymore A hero with a quirk is the normal e...
662 18 11
Izuku is a regular boy with a cloud quirk aiming to become a hero! With the setbacks of his own family, his quirk, and the society that he's facing...