Lacking Humanity|Crescent Moon

By NerdyxWitch

[COMPLETED] BOOK ONE of the LACKING HUMANITY SERIES * * * In a cold and damped cell lies a young she-wolf who... More

-Author'sNote-
-Important Details-
-Prologue-
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
-New Moon-
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
-Waxing Crescent-
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
-First Quarter-
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
-Waxing Gibbous-
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
-Full Moon-
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
-Waning Gibbous-
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
-Third Quarter-
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
-Waning Crescent-
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Lacking Humanity: Book Two
-Deleted Scenes-
Deleted Scene #1

Chapter Twenty-Seven

3.2K 159 19
By NerdyxWitch

* * *

It wasn't long before Sage started to feel left out. Remus was talking and laughing with a few other wolves, and she tried not to let it upset her. But it was difficult when all she could do was stare at all those in small little groups around the yard while the pups were running around and laughing.

Even in a world where all those around her smelled similar, she was still the odd one out.

With Remus distracted, Sage found herself sitting against one of the trees, sipping on her punch juice as it gave her comfort and allowed her to do something. And the very sugary taste was starting to grow on her. Both fruity and sweet.

"Sage? Hun, what are you doing over here by yourself?" She knew instantly who the voice came from. It was Luke.

Of course, it was.

He had his eye on her the entire time, especially when the Alpha walked her around the given groups that the pack was divided into.

"Tree."

"Yeah, that's a tree...You alright?" She shook her head, her teary eyes trying to hide away from her brother as she squeezed her knees tightening to her chest.

It sent a sting to Remus, a pang to his heart as his mate was starting to get railed up and emotional. His eyes darkly scanned the crowd but couldn't find where she had gone off to.

Sage? Where are you?

Luke watched her flinch, and he assumed that the Alpha's voiced had scared her. Granted, anyone had a direct line to her now since she was pronounced Luna of the pack. The only thing that remained was her devotion to the Alpha as a mate.

Everything about their relationship was essentially starting backwards. Usually, a mated couple would get this initiation, but what was the council going to say?

I got her, Alpha. I think the crowd is starting to freak her out. Give me a few minutes.

The Alpha agreed, especially as he didn't want to throw attention at Sage if he made his way towards them.

With the go-ahead, Luke had taken a seat beside her. The tree's truck acting as support for their backs.

"I don't really like these parties either, but they are really excited." She shook her head again, closing her eyes as she began to send memories of what she endured for the past hour.

Luke understood. He understood better than anyone that she wanted to be involved, and the only thing standing in her way was her inability to verbally communicate with others.

All she wanted was to speak on her own. And it wasn't as though she could ask questions either. Everything was up to interpretation until the tutor worked their magic.

"It's not something you can pick up instantly, Sage. Learn. You have to learn."

"Hard. Learn." He chuckled, allowing his arm to lean around her shoulder and bring her close.

"It's not going to be easy. It's not hunting. It's talking, reading...Skin. You have to learn to be human too, not just a wolf." She pouted but still leaned into his hold as it was warm. Inviting.

Until she sniffed at the odd scent that was fuming from his cup.

"That's probably not a good idea hun, stick with the punch." He didn't have much of a chance as she pulled it closer to her nose for another whiff.

"Maybe a sip will get it out of your system?" She shook her head, her wolf whining as there seeming was something wrong, like an annoying tug that wouldn't go away, but once again, she couldn't manage to put two and two together.

"How about I get the Alpha? Try to tell him...Even if the words don't work out, we need to work with you too. Remember what I said before?" The question was a simple one, but for Sage, it was difficult to digest.

"Family."

"Try it in a sentence, hun." She narrowed her brows together to wrack her mind, trying to remember what Luke had said or how he said it to work in her favor now.

"We—we're a... Family." A smile was rewarded on two separate accounts, one on Luke's and another on Remus' as he snuck his way through to them.

"Munchkin, you could've told me you didn't want to stay." Sage couldn't deny the fact that he was right, especially at the factor of telling what was wrong.

"No talk." Remus chuckled as he joined both Luke and his mate down beside the tree. Not caring about his image or what's appropriate for the Alpha.

Sage was feeling excluded, and he was going to fix that.

"To me?"

"No. No talk." Luke knew the gist of the conversation, but if she wanted to learn how to speak, this was the first battle to get across.

"You don't have to talk to anyone, Sage, Not until you're comfortable to—"

"Can't talk." She changed her sentence as Remus wasn't getting the idea, and when her voice turned lower, he snapped his mouth shut.

She's mad because she can't talk?

Remus directed his question to Luke, and the Master of Arm's son turned his attention towards his Alpha.

She wants to talk in a conversation. She's starting to get angry at herself. Tell her it's okay. She just needs to understand that this isn't something that she can change in one day.

Luke's intel on the situation was a blessing, but that was all the help he was going to receive as Sage watched her brother rise up to his feet and nod down towards his sister.

"Try to talk, Sage. You can't say anything wrong." There was no response that she could dictate to follow through with his advice. So he nodded to the Alpha before rejoining the party.

"Munchkin, if this is too much, then we can stay here."

"No talk?" He sighed. It wasn't frustration that brought him to look on forward. It was the sadness that dripped after every word.

"How about we talk instead? Do you like the punch?" She looked to his cup, then her own, before smiling. "Good."

"Mines a little stronger. We don't know if you're twenty-one yet." He joked, but his chuckle ceased when her brows scrunched together.

"It's alcohol. Our pack has an age requirement. It makes your brain fuzzy."

"Fuzzy?" He held up his cup, only for her to smell the same scent from Luke's drink.

"How about you have a sip?" He offered, not as though it would harm her at all. So she carefully took the cup to her lips and took a small hesitated gulp.

And there was not a single reaction as to how strong it was.

"Was it any good?"

"No." He chuckled to the side. Goddess, he wasn't used to her bluntness just yet.

"Did it burn?"

"No burn, warm." He nodded in understanding but then repeated his previous description, causing her to giggle. "Little fuzzy."

"Yeah, it takes wolves about two cups. It's a special brew for us. Humans are more of a lightweight." Through Remus' explanation, Sage had leaned her head down into his shoulder and continued to look to the crowd.

"Sparring?" She whispered, and he turned his gaze down to look.

"Leo tell you you can spare with the pack now? Sure you'll give the she-wolves a challenge." Sage snuggled closer as she was simply in a dress, and the breeze was starting to pick up, in addition to the annoying itch that began again.

But in listening to Luke's words, she took in a long breath before speaking.

"Remmy?" He turned down to his mate and smiled. He wouldn't get used to the damn nickname as it made his cheeks turn into the lightest shade of pink.

"Munchkin?"

"Wolf." She whispered, her eyes narrowing across the ways as she couldn't pinpoint what was wrong. Why her wolf was panting and uneasy, even if she tried to piece together words, it only came out as single out-of-place bits.

Understanding what she was getting at, Remus closed his eyes. He reached out to the mate bond as he took a feel and created an educated guess as to what was happening.

"Worried, you're worried, munchkin. It's okay. Your wolf is just getting used to the position."

"Luna?"

"That's right, it's why you were feeling worried. We have all these wolves to protect." A firm nod came from his partner, and it earned her a solid kiss to her cheek to clarify her thoughts.

Their moments were cut short as Casey had run from his parents and friends directly to Sage. Tumbling into her hold, scaring her into thinking something was wrong.

"Someone's just excited to see you, Sage," Remus whispered, and Casey nodded in her lap.

"Sagey, I want you to meet my friends! Come! Come!"

"Friends?" She questioned, and the young pup pouted towards his sister, not sure how to rephrase it.

"Friends?" She turned to the Alpha now, and Casey—Having only brothers—Knew that being friend-zoned was one of the biggest downfalls of a male's life. And by the reaction that Alpha had given, it made Sage frown.

"Uh...Not friends, Sage. We're mates."

"Not friends?" Casey started to shake his head drastically. This was indeed going to be a struggle.

"Alley and Izzy are your friends, Casey is your brother, and I'm your mate." He tried to explain it as politely as possible, but her sadness didn't wavier. "Why no friend?"

"Because we're more than friends, Sage." Casey began to giggle and squeal, which caused her to change her attention back to him.

"They're over there! Alpha, can she please come over?" Remus chuckled as the young pup had asked for his permission.

"How about you head back, Casey? We'll both come." Happiness sprung as the young boy hugged her before darting off into the direction of his friends once again.

"Casey friends."

"They go to school with him. Then maybe you can hang out with Ally and Izzy, alright?" She nodded, almost as though she completely forgot about the whole friend issue.

Much like he had previously, she had leaned towards his cheek and gave one of the softest kisses he'd ever received. Alluring and a sanction for more.

"Casey!" She smiled, rising to her feet and looking to him in waiting. Goddess, that dress was going to be in his dreams for the rest of his days for sure.

He found himself to his feet and walking just behind his mate, getting the clearest view of her ass through the likes of this dress.

Goddess bless indeed.

His wolf purred in delight as well. He was male after all. These thoughts were going to arise whether he liked it or not.

When rounding out to the pup area, Sage took in the given setup provided for them. Tables littered with games and drawing activities, and almost instantly had she been gifted drawings by the little ones who wanted to welcome her into the pack.

"Sagey! These are my friends, Rebecca, Charolette, Sammy, and—" The names continued to fly out of his mouth, but what shocked them was how quickly their Luna was to join them.

Remus was indeed in heaven. To see her so easily take the responsibility was the best thing he could've hoped for. Just proving how much of a caring mate she is.

A few newcomers wanted to meet the Luna. However, the Alpha had claimed that she needed a break from the crowds, and surprisingly enough, they understood.

It struck him as odd. He couldn't understand the politics when it came to Sage.

This was an entirely different story.

"Sagey is going to come back with a big bear! The biggest bear!" Casey was boasting about his sister, and with her new title, the pups held onto every word.

"Planning a bear hunt without me?" Sage looked up from her drawing and instantly shook her head.

"Leo train...Me." That was entirely true. Leo did not want his daughter face to face with a bear without proper knowledge in attacking it correctly or with a strategy, though they would have another season to get the chance.

"I'll help you too, hun, remind me. I'll show you my bearskin later." Her eyes turned to saucers at the idea of her mate having killed his own bear. It nearly made her mouth water as the spike in her hormones betrayed her.

Her wolf was impressed with her mate and his hunted trophy.

And by that cocky smirk rising on his face, Remus could see her internal battle, though he hadn't voiced it.

Throughout her time with the pups, she still felt that infamous pull, that itch.

That indifference.

With little knowledge of her position and how to communicate, Remus had passed it up as nerves. But it was anything but. The most foul-smelling scent had returned to her nostrils, and she covered her mouth instantly in response to looking out into the distance.

Enacting her eyes did little to nothing as she was too far from the clearing, but damn her nose if this wasn't the same stench as before. But worse.

Her mind went to one person instantly. Luke.

"Where Luke?" She asked Casey, and the pup taking her voice as seriously as his parents. Knowing that when Sage spoke, there was a meaning behind it.

"He's with the Beta over there, Sagey. Are you okay?" Sage eyed the wolves surrounding the area of the pups before she hurried along to where he pointed out, and she greeted Luke with a light tug on his shirt.

"You feeling better, Sage?" She shook her head, and before she was about to speak, Eli popped another in the conversation. Causing the two to continue to talk back and forth right before.

This. This is what she didn't like.

A growl erupted from her throat before she could manage to settle down her anger, and those surrounding the three flinched at the level of demand that growl had been fueled with.

"Someone needs a break from the pups." She didn't bother looking at Eli as her eyes darted to her brother once again.

"Rogues." She whispered, and Luke chuckled.

"Nah hun, the patrols are doubled for this kind of event. Actually have to get going soon." He said, taking out his phone to check the time. But her hand snatched towards his phone, trying to be the center of attention.

"Ro—"

"Sage, you can't just say that word every time you think—" She attempted to send the stench she caught through their link, but something was wrong.

Very wrong.

Eli attempted to defend her, saying that it was probably all the scents of the wolves in the vicinity playing with her mind.

With the lack of support, her eyes turned to their regular onyx shade, using them to gaze over towards the nearest entrance of the woods. Gritting her teeth and huffing, she gave a solid side-eye off towards Luke before returning back to the pups.

"I'll send the patrol closer hun, take it easy." It now earned Eli a huff, neither believing her as she continued with her back towards them. And just finding her place in the seat allowed for one of the runners to come rushing forward.

The obvious lack of decency as he stood up to his natural height didn't matter, not when his shouts started to plague Sage's mind at the moment.

"ROGUES! ROGUES IN SECTOR FIVE!" It sprung an emergency plan, one of which that Sage stood still in trying to decide which wolf she should follow to help. Instinct told her that her position was near the pups, but the itch began to burn once again.

The pack's mind link had been severed. Remus had tried all he could to find his mate through the crowd. And could only speak with her until he made it to the pup's station.

"Sage, I need you to stay here and protect the pups." He was prepared to rephrase the entire order, but he didn't need to as she settled it with a nod.

She and a few other she-wolfs created their own collective circle in the protection of the younger audience. However, as Remus attempted to shift...He was met with the inability to do so.

The panic rushed over his body, causing Sage to come by his side in utter confusion. "Remus?" She questioned, and he growled, silencing her once again.

But that peculiar whiff paired with her wolf's tension caused her to lean in and sniff his breath, all before picking up his fallen solo cup.

"Silver...Drink." She whispered, and it became clear as to what happened.

"PUNCH WAS SPIKED! I NEED ALL AVAILABLE SHIFTERS TO HEAD TO SECTORS 3, 4, AND 5!" Remus' growls were still indeed presented. His wolf was simply suppressed from shifting due to the excessive intake of silver.

There had still been a decent number of available wolves, but it only included those who didn't drink and all the younger warriors due to the drinking age.

But that didn't mean that the younger years were considered unprepared, as it was Cameron who came up to Sage's side.

"Shift?" He nodded, just about to head towards the given section until he caught the widening smile that Sage was making.

"Wait, Sage don't—" He was not able to cease her sudden shift, one of which did indeed catch Remus' attention.

And the rest about to head over to aid the patrol.

Luna? What do we do?

Luna?

Sector four or five?

Desperate voices had filled her brain as they were meant for the Alpha, though he was blocked due to the silver interrupting the conversation. An enraged roar had sounded as she silenced the lot and went off to dart into one given direction.

Sector five?

She asked Cameron, and he was delighted to aid her in what landmarks would be considered to what sectors. That she understood in its landmarks.

What struck Cameron odd was the ability to growl commands, her wolf ordering different wolves off in separate directions to add additional flank. She added to the Alpha's orders and surpassed any and all defiance to his directive.

Alpha Remus claimed that those who could shift needed to report to the sectors being infiltrated. It didn't leave all those remaining at the packhouse completely defenseless. An order of silver bullets made its way to the hands of the higher ranks and a few dozen Enforcers.

Remus was fuming. He held the revolver so tightly that Eli and Jack had to stop the Alpha from running in skin to the sector. "She's going to be fine."

"Fine? What does fine mean?" He issued, and Luke eyed Eli in the sense of honesty.

"She tried to warn me—us. She smelled them." Remus had bumped further in anger.

"She tried to tell you, and you didn't listen?!" Luke gritted his jaw and shook his head. He couldn't lie to his Alpha or allow any blame to come to his sister.

Her wolf wanted blood, and she surely was gaining the younger warrior's affection as their links were undoubtedly loud in her ear.

Out of the given hundreds in the pack, more than half had been infected by the silver drink. Another fraction included elders or pups that could not fight.

That left Sage, Cameron, and whoever was at their side during the attack. And Goddess have mercy on these Rogues, as Sage could not hold back her anger.

It didn't take long to arrive at the fields that Sage and Remus had hunted together just a week ago. And now become a battleground of what Cameron could only guess was three dozen Rogues.

Alpha will want one alive.

Cameron offered, and Sage agreed with the notion.

One.

With a decree of attack, it called for a massive slaughter and an entire clean-up for the Omega's of the pack to struggle with the following morning.

Sage had not counted her kills, though she was covered in blood splatters that told the story of what happened.

Her eyes lacked the darkened flare that she had like the night she lost control night.

Thankfully the attack was short-lived. And the newly pronounced Luna was currently towering over the last surviving Rogue. A young female that she plucked from the numerous targets from the past ten minutes.

Luna, We'll take her back.

She backed down and watched cautiously to see three wolves begin to drag the half-alive she-wolf to the packhouse.

Careful.

Was her final warning, though the stench was still a massive challenge as it was beginning to make her eyes water.

As a group, all the Crescent moon members had followed their Luna in a victory prance.

Yet they were met with was nothing of a victory cheer, not when the Alpha was enraged.

He dropped his pistol to the floor and threw off his dress shirt before making it an offered attire for his mate. Even in this anger, he didn't want onlookers to what is his.

"I said stay with the pups." He growled, and she matched it with the same frequency.

"No. Rogues."

"That is why I said 'stay with the pups.' That is the job of a Luna." The surrounding audience was watching in awe.

Their Luna had ignored an order, but was it the right call?

Luke had made his way through the crowd with both Eli and Jack by his side. He looked mighty relieved to see her with only a few scratches.

"No Rogues?" She questioned, her eyes scrutinizing the likes of the Beta and her brother. And Remus impatiently huffed. That wasn't the only problem at the moment.

Cameron had rejoined beside Luke and laughed his own cheer.

"Sage worked beautifully! Her wolf split us off into groups, and we—" The stare of the Alpha had condemned him to silence. Remus did not feel that this deserved any joys or positive reinforcement.

"Sage, what I say is not up for discussion. Especially in the event of a Rogue attack." The young she-wolf tried to remember the call where Jade had attempted to help in what a Luna is meant to do.

It was her choice whether she wanted to listen to her mate, and since he and his wolf were out of commission, she took charge.

With that mindset, she shook her head.

She remained silent and kept her head up as she looked between both the Beta and Delta. Before blinking her eyes back to Remus, who was dealing with his own hormonal dominance.

Something that he was generally worried about throughout the night, and here it was about to unleash.

"Alright, everyone! Let's call it a night. We'll have a meeting tomorrow!" Jack called out, knowing that this was indeed going to be an ugly reveal.

And it'd be better if there weren't so many onlookers.

"No?" Remus growled, and his wolf felt the challenge in making his mate submit. But she was not going to break down so easily. His single step towards her had caused her eyes to pool instantly at the initial threat that Remus was giving off.

"She's an Alpha she-wolf..." Leo spoke, and nobody had to hear the explanation in that. Alpha Harlow had been correct. Sage was indeed higher-ranked blood. That was why she hadn't been locked into listening to her mate's words.

"You drink silver. You no shift." She challenged. Sage had challenged.

Remus had been taken by surprise. Anyone could have read that.

Sweet Goddess, this was the type of karma everyone was waiting for.

Not only was the poor she-wolf exhausted for her defense of the pack, a few cuts bleeding through the likes of her mate's shirt. But now, she was potentially facing backlash on the Alpha's demands.

"Alpha." Beta Eli had warned, silently attempting to make a break between the two. Sage had finally found her footing, and if there was anyone that didn't want a fight to break out, it was the Beta and Delta.

Jack had slowly crept up from behind Sage to appear at her side, and her expression had softened as she had no anger for the Delta.

"Alpha, you cannot fault her for not listening! It's not in her wolf's nature. You downcast her! And you! I am disappointed that you ever doubted her!" Leo shouted, all the words that Sage wished she could say.

Instead, it was Leo who had wrapped his arm around his daughter and continued off home with Jack close behind.

It was certainly a Luna ceremony to remember.

______

Date: 11-22-2020

Time: 8:51

Words: 4004

______
EDITED:
DATE: 09/30/2021
WORDS: 3996

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

254K 6.5K 57
BOOK 1 OF THE FOREVER SERIES At the age of sixteen, Roxy Thorn never expected to find her soulmate while attending her first White Moon Ball. She did...
141K 2.9K 43
There is a great mystery surrounding a lone she-wolf who wanders the northern mountain on the outskirts of Griffin pack territory. No one knows where...
93.7K 4.2K 54
Ayn is a witch with healing powers. Shapeshifters have killed her parents and the only animals she cannot speak with are wolves. When she graduates...
1M 42.7K 33
-COMPLETED- ~3 Years BEFORE Luna Hana~ The running never bothered her - she had run her entire life. From what? Nothing in particular...at least no...