Colleagues

By writingneverland

Sadie absolutely despises her new coworker, Margot. She is arrogant, a total suck-up, and just plain rude. On... More

Chapter 1 | Sadie
Chapter 2 | Sadie
Chapter 3 | Sadie
Chapter 4 | Margot
Chapter 5 | Sadie
Chapter 6 | Margot
Chapter 7 | Sadie
Chapter 8 | Margot
Chapter 9 | Sadie
Chapter 11 | Sadie
Chapter 12 | Sadie
Chapter 13 | Sadie
Chapter 14 | Sadie
Chapter 15 | Sadie
Chapter 16 | Margot
Chapter 17 | Sadie
Chapter 18 | Sadie
Chapter 19 | Margot
Chapter 20 | Sadie
Chapter 21 | Margot
Chapter 22 | Sadie
Chapter 23 | Sadie

Chapter 10 | Sadie

1.7K 93 3
By writingneverland

"This just isn't making any sense," Margot lamented, staring at the papers in front of her. "I have no idea how we can come up with another motive aside from self-defense." I wasn't quite sure how to respond. "Well, Cynthia was right," Margot continued. "This case has so many more layers than initially meets the eye. We're going to have to get more perspectives."

"What do we do now?" I asked.

"Testimonies," she replied. "We're going to have to interview people closer to the case."

"Like Megan's family members?"

Margot furrowed her brow in thought. "If they'll have us, which they probably won't. But I was thinking more like the officers that found him and investigated the case. I think Earl might have a stepbrother who lives in Chicago." She glanced at her watch. "Great, we're almost done for the day."

"You don't seem very happy about that," I observed.

"I don't like to be interrupted from my work," she explained with a sigh. Margot looked up at me for a second, shaking her head as if to dispel a thought that was forming there.

"I guess we better head out," I suggested after a moment.

"Yeah, actually- I was wondering if you wanted to get a drink with me after work," she said quietly, knocking me completely off guard.

"Really?"

"Yeah, like I said before, we better get to know each other if we're going to work on this case for the next few months together."

I nodded. In all honesty, despite Margot's sudden change in the way she interacted with me, I was hesitant to spend more time with her outside of work. She was still intimidating and overbearing, it was doubtful we'd end up getting along. But I couldn't say no.

She watched my reaction expectantly. "Yeah, sure. I don't have anything right now."

Margot flashed me a rare smile. "Great, have you heard of Gibson's Steakhouse? It's one of my favorites."

"I just moved here, so no," I replied truthfully.

"Oh right, I forgot. But trust me, you're going to love it."

As we left the office together, I prayed that things would go well between us this evening. After all, my job depended on it.

~~~

"Have you wanted to be a lawyer your entire life?" Margot asked as she sipped a glass of wine across from me. By drinks, I'd never imagined it to be this fancy. Even in my work clothes, I felt painfully out of place.

I pondered the question for a moment. "Yes, I guess. I was never the smartest or the top of my class, but I knew what I wanted to do from the very beginning. What about you?"

Margot shrugged. "It was either that or becoming a doctor, and I'm awful at science."

I laughed out loud. "Me too. So have you lived in Chicago your whole life?"

"Yes," she replied. "My parents came here from Cuba right before I was born."

"Do they still live here?"

"No," Margot said, looking down at her glass. "They divorced after I graduated from college. One moved to Portland and the other to LA. I visit them every summer."

"Do you miss them?" I asked, surprising myself with my own boldness.

"Sometimes," she said, her face darkening for a moment. "What about you? I take it you don't live with your mommy and daddy anymore like Marcus does?"

"You know?" I asked, biting my lip to prevent myself from cracking up.

"Of course I do. It's common knowledge," Margot replied, smirking. "But judging from the fact that we're neighbors, you've clearing moved on from that stage in your life."

"Noteworthy observation, Sherlock," I joked. "But I just moved out of my mother's house a week ago. She lives right outside of the city."

Margot looked as though she wanted to say something else, but quickly decided against it. "So, what do you think of the city? Does it live up to all the hype?"

"For the most part," I responded thoughtfully. "It's strange, but I feel kind of isolated despite everything that's going on around me."

"It's a lot to get used to," she agreed. "Hungry?"

"Uh-" I stuttered, realizing with embarrassment that there was no way I could afford anything substantial from here.

Margot read my face, and stated on cue, "Oh don't worry about it Sadie, I've got you covered. After all, I'm the one who asked you to get drinks."

"Oh-I don't know," I said hesitatingly. I had no intention of ending the night owing her something. It might put me in a vulnerable position in the long run.

She smiled encouragingly in response. "Relax, Brooks. You deserve this."

I nodded slightly, at a loss for words. To be honest, I had no idea why she was being so nice today. It simultaneously disarmed me and filled me with unease. If there was anything I had learned from working alongside Margot, she could be extremely manipulative when she wanted to be. But some part of me was convinced she wasn't aiming to get anything in return.

"Why are you doing this?" I blurted out suddenly, immediately regretting my loose lips.

To my astonishment, Margot laughed softly. "I was hoping you would enlighten me. I've never taken anyone from work out to drinks before. Maybe there's just something about you, Sadie."

I could feel the redness rising in my cheeks, and I was almost certain it wasn't from the alcohol. I cleared my throat, looking down at my hands awkwardly.

"The crazy thing is that I actually don't mind you," she continued. "Most of the time, I detest the people I work with."

Growing up, I had often been told I was a likeable person. It scared me half to death because I had no idea why, and I was constantly afraid of disappointing people. It was probably because I was never seen as a threat. I wasn't sophisticated or poised like Margot. I laughed at nearly everything and was often underestimated. To most, I was regarded as the "girl next door." The saddest part was that it had never bothered me.

"Do you detest Cody?" I asked, trying to change the subject. Margot attempted to read my expression again, and I felt self-conscious under her gaze.

"No," she replied. "He's a sweetheart. But his friend..."

I laughed. "Marcus?"

"Yeah," Margot said. "He acts like he's still the popular jock, and our office is high school. Which would be okay if the man wasn't 27." We both laughed.

"Did he always want to be a paralegal?" I inquired, figuring Margot may or may not know the answer.

She shook her head. "Actually, Marcus wanted to play professional lacrosse. We went to college together."

"I take it that didn't work out?" I guessed.

"Nope. Trying to make it in sports is like trying to invent the next Google. It's impractical at best."

"If you don't mind me asking, where did you go to college?"

"UChicago," Margot answered, much to my amazement. "Now, quit acting surprised and all," she added defensively. "I'm not an idiot, Sadie."

"I know," I said quickly. "I just think that's really impressive. I went to U of I."

"That's a good school too," she protested. "I figured you had to be smart to get into a very competitive law firm so young."

"You're young," I replied.

"That is true."

We talked until the food arrived, and then talked even more after that. Unlike our previous interactions, the conversation flowed easily and as I learned more and more about Margot, I began to understand her.

She'd grown up as the middle child in a family of nine. Immediately recognized as gifted by her school, her parents put significant pressure on her to succeed. They treated her like their hero, saying she would later grow up to do great things and support her brothers and sisters. It was a lot of pressure to put on a child. But the drive and passion came from her, and I admired that part of Margot.

Time passed rapidly as we talked, and before we knew it, it was nearly 10 pm. "Well, I better head out," Margot stated as she got up from the table. "Big day tomorrow."

I smiled. "For sure."

"I'll probably see you back at the apartment, but I had a great time tonight."

"Me too."

"Get home safely, Brooks."

"I will."

~~~

By the time I arrived at the apartment building, I had a feeling Margot was already getting ready for bed. The weirdest thing was that part of me wanted to run into her again.

As I got ready for bed, I recalled our conversation from before. From an outside perspective, we had very little in common. But tonight, it seemed like something just clicked. I had no clue what somebody like Margot was doing with a guy like Christian. It made me wonder if underneath all that confidence and composure was a very lonely person.

I was finally beginning to crack the enigma that was Margot Lopez.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

25.7K 567 21
Enemies to lovers Two women in an office always compete for the top spot. There is constant arguing between the two in their offices. One day things...
883K 14.3K 30
[COMPLETE] Elle and Aurora absolutely hate each other but once forced to spend time with each other for a school project, will that all change?? Just...
49.4K 2K 65
Twenty year old Alex is trying to finish high school and move out before anyone finds out what she's hiding. The new teacher, with the dark past, is...
76.9K 2.9K 41
"Miss Gallo meet your new lawyer, miss Moretti,"she says and I'm still rooted to the spot unable to move. Unable to turn and face her.what was i thin...