Crown of Blood

By TwixxieSkittle

The assassination of the royal family has left the werewolf kingdom in the hands of a rebel pack. Peace and p... More

premise
prologue
1 | don't you worry child
2 | party monster
3 | leave me lonely
4 | beautiful liar
5 | bleeding out
6 | rockabye
7 | chills
8 | poker face
10 | scream & shout
11 | crooked smile
12 | in the night
13 | can't take a joke
14 | conversations
15 | zombie
16 | beauty and the beast
17 | complicated

9 | questions

336 28 60
By TwixxieSkittle

girl i got a question for ya

can i get an answer

Taking a seat in the van, I glanced over at the men that had shoved me in it not-so-nicely as they settled into the front seats.

They were both heavily built, with arms the width of trees, and had beards that were in desperate need of conditioner. Both were about mid-40s with veiny foreheads and permanent frowns plastered across their faces. Despite those similarities, the rest of their features were distinct enough that they were unlikely to be related.

One of them, however, had a long scar running down the side of his arm, almost the length of a ruler. It seemed as if the flesh had been torn apart and sewed back together hastily, as the line had numerous jagged edges running down its length.

I studied the side of his face. He had tanned, olive skin and dark brown hair. His chocolate brown eyes were trained in front him, and his nose was slightly crooked. He looked like he had seen his fair share of battles. Though I didn't recognize him, there was something about him that I was immediately drawn to and I couldn't quite figure out what it was.

"Sooo," I drawled, deciding to finally speak up. "Where are we going?"

Silence.

"Are we going to the famous Shadow Pack headquarters?" I continued.

More silence.

"Oh come on!" I exclaimed. "There's no point in secrecy, I'm going to find out sooner or later. Might as well save me the suspense."

Still nothing.

Huffing, I blew my hair out of my face. "Why isn't Alpha Eastwood in this car?" I tried again after a moment. "Is he scared of me?"

The silence only screamed louder.

Sighing, I settled back into my seat and decided to look for a way out. Scanning both backdoors, I held back a growl when I saw there were no handles.

No wonder they didn't bother sitting in the back with me. There's no way to even open the door.

My hands were still shackled behind my back and my ankles had been tied together too. Even if I were to find a way out, I wouldn't be able to get out of the chains fast enough to do it.

Throwing my head back, I stared at the beige ceiling until I dozed off into an angry nap.

~*~

"HA!" I woke up screaming, jerking my knee up when I felt hands on my feet.

A sickening crack was heard nanoseconds after.

Scrambling to sit up, I opened my eyes to see scar-arm dude standing there with pure fury blazing in his eyes, as blood trickled out of his nose that I had bent even more.

I blinked at him. "You did that without warning so I am not sorry."

"Out," he spat harshly through clenched teeth.

Deciding not to piss him off further, I unattractively scooted out of the car, almost falling in the process.

Before I could even take in my surroundings, a blindfold was aggressively tied around my eyes before hands shoved me forward.

"Hey!" I yelled. "There was no need for that!"

The man kept his hand on my back as he guided me in whatever direction we were going. Breathing in the air, I grew disappointed when I didn't catch the scent of my annoyingly handsome mate, indicating he hadn't been anywhere near them.

He hadn't even bothered to come see her.

I could feel my wolf grow irritated upon the realization that our mate still hadn't acknowledged us. I still couldn't understand it.

The sound of leaves crunching beneath our feet was all that could be heard. Three minutes and 32 seconds later, I felt the presence of two other people in front of us. My only guess was that we were coming to an entrance.

"Is this the latest idiot?" a voice to my right laughed.

"And a girl at that?" another chuckled to my right.

I was on the verge of retorting back, but I decided to not waste my breath. Scar-arm dude didn't say anything back, but a few seconds later, I heard a door open. My back was nudged and I began moving once again. I heard the echoes of our footsteps as we entered the building that I was unable to see.

We continued walking until he roughly pulled my shoulder back, indicating for me to stop. The jingle of a key made its way to my ears as he unlocked some kind of door. The blindfold was yanked off my head and I blinked, adjusting to the dark hallway we were standing in.

A foul stench reached my nose and I felt my heart rate pick up. I was no stranger to that smell.

"Go down," ordered the scar-arm dude.

My stomach dropped as I took a step down the stairs that were behind the door.

He wouldn't.

The temperature dropped as I descended further down into what I was sure was the pack jail. We moved forward past rows of empty cells, until scar-arm guy stopped at one and motioned for me to go in.

I could run.

But I knew if I did, I wouldn't make it that far. I still had no idea where I was and I was still healing from the night before.

Straightening my shoulders, I walked into the cell with as much dignity as possible.

Turning around, I stared at scar-arm dude as he locked the cell door behind me. Shoving the keys in his pocket, he began to walk away.

"Wait!" I called out after him. "Wait, please!"

He paused in his step, only tilting his head in response.

"What's going to happen to me?" I asked.

Scar-arm stayed quiet for a moment, and I was starting to think he wasn't going to say anything.

"The Alpha will do what he always does to trespassers," he grunted out.

Against my will, I perked up at the mention of my mate.

"So, I'll be seeing Alpha Eastwood again?" I asked neutrally, masking the fact that I really wanted to know the answer.

"Yes," he replied, before walking away. "But it won't be a good thing."

~*~

I had spent almost five hours in the dark, repeating scar-arm's words in my head.

My mate wouldn't actually kill me, would he?

The rumours say otherwise.

My wolf had gone into rest mode, trying to heal quickly and gather strength for whatever this pack had in mind for us. I hoped Uncle Eddie would come soon, but at the same time, I wanted to escape before I put him in danger.

The cell was cold, with only a bucket inside, which I fortunately still hadn't had to use yet. There was no other prisoner with me, but every few minutes, I heard the light footsteps of mice running around. The bars were all made out of silver, and I could smell the faint linger of wolfsbane that they had likely coated them with a while back.

Suddenly, an intoxicating scent invaded my nostrils, wrapping itself around me for the third time in the last 24 hours.

Fuck, fuck fuck, shit, fuck.

I wasn't ready!

Ready for what, you moron? It's not like he's here to take you on a date.

My conscience was right - my mate was coming to see me in a prison cell. Absolute zero romance in that.

I pushed myself up to sit against the back wall, as far away from him as possible. Like deja vu, two shoes appeared in my line vision, coming to a stop directly in front of me. I could hear a steady heart beat, opposite to mine which was beating frantically inside my ribcage. I slowly glanced up, meeting the honey-glazed irises of my mate once again. He had changed clothes, and was now wearing casual black jeans with a black, long-sleeve shirt that hugged every part of his upper body.

I quickly wiped off any emotion on my face, slipping into the neutral expression that I was most comfortable in. Shoving away all my unwanted feelings of attraction for him, I stared back, waiting for him to make the first move.

Silence hung like a barrier between us.

After what felt like hours, but in reality was only 67 seconds, he finally spoke.

"Give me one good reason as to why I shouldn't kill you right now."

His voice was like a lullaby to my ears.

My mouth dropped open as the meaning of his words registered in my mind.

He should tell me why I shouldn't kill him!

"Because I..."

Because I'm your mate.

However, the words just couldn't seem to come out.

He simply raised his eyebrow at me.

I shook my head, clearing my thoughts. "I've done nothing wrong! So what I trespassed your land, I didn't hurt anyone did I?" I challenged him. "I'm not a threat to you."

"You know, there's something about you that I just can't quite figure out," he said, crossing his arms. "How does a wolfless werewolf learn to fight like that?"

His eyes pierced into mine, and I was almost convinced he could read my thoughts at that moment.

"You'll never know the answer if I'm dead," I retorted.

"True," he tilted his head in agreement. "Then I guess it depends on whether I care enough to know."

That stung.

"So, you don't care?" I nonchalantly asked.

He shrugged. "Is there a reason I should?"

I was shocked, to say the least. While my parents had never given me the talk about mates, I had still learned enough from my pack to know that this wasn't how they were supposed to treat you.

"Interesting lack of conversation," Alpha Eastwood stated, indicating we were finished. "Someone will finish you off tomorrow."

He was about to turn away but I spoke out before he could.

"Aren't you going to acknowledge it?" I asked softly.

He narrowed his eyes at me. "Acknowledge what?"

Taking a deep breath, I focused on the wall behind him. "That we're mates?"

A silence even quieter than before fell among us.

"What did you say?" Alpha East practically growled out, drawing my gaze back to him. His entire body was rigid, tensed so hard I thought he might turn to stone.

"We're mates," I repeated with more confidence. "You haven't said anything about it and now you're going to kill me and I just want to know why," I rushed out.

"I don't know what game you're playing at, but you're a complete fool if you think I'm going to believe that," he spat out.

"You think I'm lying?" I scoffed. "You expect me to believe you haven't felt the pull? Smelled my scent?"

He banged on the bar, the sound ringing through my ears causing me to flinch back.

"Do not mention my mate ever again, do you understand?" he yelled.

In a flash, he turned on his heel and sped out of the basement, leaving me alone, confused about what had just happened. 

----------------

Do I have any readers left?

I am so sorry for my loooong break, I was so wrapped up with studying that I had to put writing to the side. But I'm planning on getting back into it now, so fingers crossed I make better progress on this book. 

What did you guys think?

xo

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.7M 331K 34
As an Omega, the lowest-rank werewolf in any pack, Claire is confident her smoking hot Alpha can't be her mate. But she's wrong -- not just about him...
708K 17.8K 35
Penelope Lewis' life was changed when she found her parents murdered. Her brother quickly took her to "safety." While hiding away in a cottage her br...
210K 8.3K 41
Norah Bloodmoon had been forced to live away from her family for seventeen years after being taken from her pack at only two weeks old. Being kept in...
1.8K 80 35
***Note: It's all fiction.*** A beast. A human. Both are destined to be soulmates. One thinks that it's unfair for a human to have to live with a bea...