Is It True Love?

By angeldawn09

At first glance, Wendell Chestna appears as a beautiful prince whose presence will enchant others while dashi... More

Introduction
Stickers/Comments
Character Profiles
Locations
Chapter 2: A Test Of Greed
Chapter 3: Creating Frederick
Chapter 4: At First Dance
Chapter 5: A Painful Reality
Chapter 6: New Friendship
Chapter 7: Time Of Blissful Days
Chapter 8: Love In The Air?
Chapter 9: Power To Protect
Chapter 10: Surprising Reunion
Chapter 11: Don't Give In!
Chapter 12: Managing The Double Life
Chapter 13: One Special Request
Chapter 14: Two Sides Of The Same Coin
Chapter 15: In Pursuit Of The Truth
Chapter 16: A Parents' Tender Gift
Chapter 17: Broken Vows
Chapter 18: True Beauty
Chapter 19: The Struggles With Love
Chapter 20: Complicated Feelings
Chapter 21: Runaway
Chapter 22: Family Matters
Chapter 23: What The Future Holds
Chapter 24: Until That Day
Chapter 25: Does Love Have A Price?
Chapter 26: Stealing Their Hearts
Chapter 27: Fight For Peace
Chapter 28: A Noble Sacrifice
Chapter 29: The Aftermath
Chapter 30: Wish Upon A Star
Chapter 31: Regret
Chapter 32: What Her Heart Values Most
Chapter 33: His One True Love
Chapter 34: Start Of A New Heir
Chapter 35: Wedding Day
Epilogue
Q&A
Shoutouts And Ending Note

Chapter 1: The Deal

295 62 321
By angeldawn09

Wendell

For most, ladies buzzing around the room like bees as they take care of morning tasks would be quite a luxury. Services just a selected group are privileged to experience, and royalty is among the top of that list. In Wendell's case, witnessing the maids neatly make his bed while others help dress him has become routine. An older female does one last adjustment to his cloak as another swiftly opens the door. The young prince gives his usual thanks before exiting to tackle the day ahead.

Bright sunshine lights up the hallways with not a dark cloud spotted in the vanilla skies. The royal being informed there are only a few lessons later this afternoon further lifts his good mood. Although as to disrupt such peace a loud commotion suddenly comes rushing past him.

The girl runs freely despite such an early hour with their dog right on her tail. He doesn't even get the chance to intervene as she ends up colliding right into a small stand. The glass vase on top of it wobbles dangerously and slowly tips toward the hard floor. Wendell acts fast--diving in just enough time to catch the object before it shatters. He releases a soft sigh as he promptly places the vase back where it belongs. Then faces the culprit who avoids eye contact with an innocent smile.

"Uh, that was a great catch, Brother!"

"Wendy, what did Margaret say about running in the halls? You'd been in major trouble if this had broken and would've hurt yourself," he lectures, causing her to pout and their dog to whimper.

"But Max and I are playing treasure hunt. We're trying to flee the deadly traps, so we won't be stuck in the old tombs forever!"

"I can't believe you have this much energy the moment you spring out of bed. You should be heading to the dining area as breakfast will be served in a minute."

"Mentioning food, have you heard about the cute little cafe up in Everlane?" Wendy begins, and he can predict what is sure to follow. "I wish to dine there and try these popular sweets for myself! Oh, pretty please can we go?"

"Versace is rumored to stay crowded upon opening until the time that they close... Why don't we wait a week or two so their newcomers can thin out first? In the meantime, any desserts you request from the cooks can easily be made right here at home."

His suggestion doesn't appear to be a favorable one as the girl's excitement vanishes now puffing her cheeks.

"You just don't get it! All of my noble friends would've eaten there while Versace is still the talk of the town. This disappointing news has completely ruined my appetite! Breakfast can get saved because Max and I are off to continue our game in the garden. Come on, Boy!"

Heeding this order the rottweiler tags behind and her small feet stomp down the long staircase.

"Wait, Wendy!" he calls, but is ignored and the prince runs fingers through his hair. "Impatient as always."

His cute seven-year-old sister, Wendy, is his only sibling. Anyone could tell the two are related, even if they're clueless about their royal title. Both share ash-blonde locks and ocean eyes, though her own flowing well past the shoulders is usually left tied. They may look similar in terms of appearance, but their personalities differ in many ways. Wendell wasn't nearly as hyper nor bossy back when he was her age.

"Good morning, Your Highness. Conveniently, you're already awake. The queen wishes to see you, so please head to the throne room at once."

Wendell turns to find this address from one of the castle butlers who's cleaning his faint fingerprints off the glass object he touched.

"Alright, did she say for what reason?"

"I'm afraid she didn't explain to me the details, but that it is important business concerning you."

"Okay, I'll go right away then," he responds, rather curious now. It's unusual for her to summon him and the morning sun has barely risen. Nevertheless, the teen moves toward the destination in haste.

As Wendell walks inside, guards step out of his way, giving him a formal bow. The large room is overlaid with velvet and two golden thrones are placed directly in the middle. One is occupied by the current ruler of this kingdom, Althelia while the other has remained empty for months. A sight that forever makes his chest ache, painfully aware it'll never hold King Gus in the years to come.

"Mother, you wanted to speak with me."

"I've been waiting for you, Wendell. There is a serious matter involving your future that we need to discuss. As you well know the coronation ceremony will be held on your birthday about three months from now," she begins, his anxiety increasing at her words.

He might be a mirror image of his late father but with her on the other hand they look vastly different. Althelia's deep blonde curly hair is cut in a bob style as her sharp hazel eyes could crack the toughest of men. Despite subjects often praising her beauty, more wrinkles have surfaced after the king's demise.

"Yes, rules stand that the eldest son is to take the throne upon adulthood at seventeen years of age or older, if the father is no longer present," he replies and she nods.

"That's correct. As of Nomani the fourteenth you'll be King of Calestra."

No matter hearing this repeated multiple times, he still can't grasp that fact. It feels so unreal and he's honestly not at all prepared to rule over an entire nation. The arranged lessons might have him flourish in many notable skills, but that doesn't help ease his nerves in the slightest.

"I didn't call you down here to state the obvious but rather inform you of the arranged marriage you'll be having a week before it."

"Wait, what?!" The small outburst grabs the guards' attention as he awkwardly clears his throat. "W-When did you start planning this? Isn't the marriage banquet supposed to commence when I turn twenty?"

"Yes, though with your situation and the current offer on the table, I feel it's better you wed now. There'll be a heavy weight set upon your shoulders taking the position as king. Although I'll be here to support you when stepping down, you could still use someone to rule by your side. Normally, you'd be given a list of acceptable young ladies to choose from but this arranged marriage will benefit the kingdom greatly."

So there's more to it then.

"The Valenta household just finished moving to Everlane all for this very purpose. The nobles have a high standing in the kingdom of Quincy, and using their connections, we can gain a valuable ally. They've agreed to comply if we only allow their daughter, Blanche, to be your bride."

This whole dilemma is so much to swallow that the prince simply wishes he had overslept. What can be said, if anything, in protest for such a reason? Their kingdom could use support after the dreaded war with King Henry they are still recovering from. Though selfish as it may sound, the prince doesn't want to marry some girl he hardly knows. What if the two of them don't get along but are forced to spend the rest of their lives together?

Besides if I marry Blanche then what about...

"People speak of Blanche's beauty and her numerous talents. They wish the wedding to be sooner rather than later, so we'll have to begin the preparations alongside planning for your coronation. However, you'll have some time to warm up to one another before the big day.... Wendell, you seem troubled. I know this is a lot to take in but I'm positive you will act differently upon meeting her," The queen bargains but that's not the real issue.

"I just...don't want to be married off to a random girl."

"Not even for Calestra's sake?" She deeply sighs as if expecting that he should take this bombshell with a smile. "Yes, this is sudden but taking on unwanted responsibilities is a part of growing up. It's far more profitable than marrying anyone you'd chat up during that banquet. At your age, you don't know the first thing about true love."

Each harsh sentence that leaves her mouth ebbs a little of his faltering confidence away. Wendell might fail to get through to her but if he doesn't try right this moment there won't be a second chance. With that in mind, he faces her with conviction inside his ocean eyes.

"What if I told you...there was someone who already stole my heart?"

His mother stares in silence as if questioning just how genuine his statement is. Her piercing gaze almost has the prince regret speaking up rather than accept his twisted fate as a royal. However, closing her hazel eyes they reopen with a hint of uncertainty.

"Let's say you are indeed telling the truth and not trying to wiggle free of this engagement. Would this girl be acceptable to sit here on this throne and rule?"

"Y-Yes! I honestly believe that she will have your utmost approval."

Yet again she falls quiet and this stretching silence causes him to fidget in anticipation. She exhales for the second time, which he can't say if it's against or in his favor. Though the expression she wears is far more motherly than her usual cold behavior.

"...If you earnestly have your heart set on marrying this girl, then I couldn't possibly be one to prevent this union. After all, your father was kind enough to take me as his bride when I was only a mere maid serving at the castle. Still, he loved me unconditionally and we were married for nearly twenty years."

The bittersweet smile on her face speaks volumes, and thankfully, she understands once in a mutual situation. Although her father was a knight that worked for the royal family, therefore, it wasn't quite the social class gap between Kana and himself. Nevertheless, there had to have been plenty of noblewomen his late father could've picked over her but he didn't. Wendell wants to have the same intimate connection that his parents shared with Kana.

"So I'm allowed to marry the girl of my choosing?! The arranged one can get called off now?" he eagerly questions and her typical demeanor returns.

"Wait just a moment. Everyone else outside this castle will be told that Blanche is still your fiance. You could have second thoughts about this girl or perhaps she has no interest in marrying a prince. We won't complicate things by canceling this far too soon. If you propose--and she says yes--only then will we end this arrangement. Do these terms sound fair to you?"

"Of course! Thank you, Mother."

Wendell fails miserably to hide his growing smile, but a downward curve twitches at her own lips.

"I will conduct a background check on her, and if she pleases me, you get our family's signature ring. I'm not saying to rush your proposal, but you can't dawdle until mere days before the wedding date either."

"I'll be sure to pop the question in a timely fashion," he eagerly responds, turning for the exit when she clears her throat.

"I must make one thing very clear. With this arrangement, we're tossing aside an alliance with a neighboring nation. Calestra has grown quite prosperous, thus we don't truly need their aid, however..." her voice trails off, the queen's thoughts unreadable behind her furrowed eyebrows. "Just work hard so you can properly perform these future duties on the throne. Therefore, I won't regret the decision I made today."

He can tell she is holding her tongue about something but letting go of any treaty is a huge loss. Even more, coming from his strict mother and he best prove this surprising act of kindness will be repaid in full.

"...I understand. I promise to put in triple the efforts with my lessons starting today."

"I expect as much. Well, that is all the business I wanted to cover with you. You're dismissed."

This time, he makes sure to give a quick bow of thanks and flies out of the throne room. Wendell can hardly wait until after breakfast to share this good news with Saelufu. In just a few short weeks, it's a possibility Kana may become his bride.

A/N Hello readers, this concludes the first chapter. Did it pique your interest? This is a rather short one, but it will be longer starting the next chapter.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

22.4K 3.7K 61
[The Wattys 2021 Shortlisted Finalist] One case, two detectives, three friends, and a thousand emotions. Sometimes nothing is a coincidence, but th...
18.1K 397 15
It was just like any typical protagonists' lives, Ron and Elisa were famous for their natural beauty and for being the top scorers in college. Studen...
35.7K 2.6K 34
2023 December Book of the Month @CupidOnTour @WattpadSeries General Fiction Feature JUNE 2023 @HistoricalFiction 'Rise of Civilization' Reading List...
6.4K 874 47
"Am I going to break you, Case? Or are you bamboo?" The days are dry and hot, school is out, and all 17-year-old Case wants to do is party hard with...