Of Alchemists and Wizards

By dark_kai_art

Instead of giving up his Alchemy, Edward Elric makes a deal with Truth to protect a boy from another world qu... More

A Deal
Introductions
The Keeper of the Keys
A Letter From Home
First Day
Questions and Answers
Complications
Conspiracies and Riddles
The Champions
Full of Surprises
The First Task
Rebound
A Visitor
Catching Up
Truths and Comfort
Of Observations of Friendly Conversation
Hero of the People
A/N
The Yule Ball
Soldier Boy
Colonel Elric

The Feast

2.6K 116 43
By dark_kai_art

I probably looked like a mad man, going through each and every one of textbooks, viciously ripping out a certain set of pages. I can't believe they put that in a beginner level book. What the hell were they thinking? A growling like sound escaped my lips as I ripped another section of pages out of the book in my hands. I was too angry to even attempt to use alchemy to remove the pages. I was seething. I hadn't been this angry since the homunculi. Each time I removed the horrid sections of pages, I would crumple them into a ball before tossing them into the fireplace beside me as I reached for the next book.

I had just finished the last book with a sigh when I glanced up at the clock on the wall text to me. It was 6:55. "Shit!" I shouted about grabbing my red trench coat off the back of my chair and sprinting out of the room. I raced down the stairs, occasionally sliding down the railings just to go a little faster. Many of the portraits yelled from behind me, wondering where I was off to in such a rush, but I really didn't have any time to stop and chat.

When I got to the bottom of the stairs that were directly across from the doors to the Great Hall, I found Minevera standing with what looked to be about 30-40 students gathered around her. She was in the middle of a speech when I hit the main floor. She looked up at me, pausing in her speech.

"Professor Elric!" she exclaimed. All of the students, who, by their size, I guessed were first years looked at me with wide eyes. "You should have been here at least fifteen minutes ago, before all of the students entered the hall," she said, clearly peeved and even more disappointed.

"I know, I know, I know!" I nearly shouted as I pulled my coat on. "But I'm here now, aren't I?" I pointed out before pushing the doors to the Great Hall open. The chattering that filled the Great Hall quickly silenced as I felt hundreds of pairs of eyes on me. The complete silence was short as the students started to whisper amongst themselves. I jogged up the very short flight of stairs and quickly slid into my seat. At that moment, I was very thankful I didn't sit anywhere near Snape. No doubt he would have some choice words for me.

"'ey there, Ed," Hagrid whispered as the doors to the Great Hall opened once more. It revealed Minevera leading the frightened looking first years into the hall. "Ya alright?" he asked. I nodded stiffly as my hand massaged the area where my port met my flesh. The running around had not helped the previous pain I was feeling. It was aching, and at some points, it was throbbing. I'd have to write Winry if it got any worse. And possibly even talk to Dumbledore.

"Yeah," I muttered. "Got caught up getting stuff ready for classes," I explained. I saw him nod out of the corner of my eye. With a sigh, I rested my elbow on the table and my chin in my hand, waiting for the sorting ceremony to get under way. The year hadn't even truly begun, and I was already ready to be back in my own world with my family.

Harry's POV

Among the bustling, noisy atmosphere of the Great Hall, I sat at the Gryffindor table, Ron next to me Hermione across from myself. To say that we were still shaken up from the events of the Quidditch Tournament was the understatement of the century. Couldn't I just have one normal summer? Was that too much to ask for?

"Bloody hell, can we get started already?" Ron moaned from his spot next to me. "I'm ready to eat; I'm starving," he whined. I rolled my eyes at my best friend, knowing he had eaten on the train ride here. I know because I had bought him something off the trolley. It was something of a tradition since our first meeting on the train in first year.

"Ronald," Hermione said, exasperated. "You ate two hours ago on the train," she pointed out.

"That was two hours ago!" he exclaimed as if that was going to help his case at all. The brunette across the table opened her mouth to say something, but we were distracted by the doors to the Great Hall swinging open with way more force than Professor McGonagalll normally gave. All eyes turned to the doors.

In stomped a boy that looked no older than Fred and George, red coattail flaring behind him as he marched up the center aisle toward the staff table. The bright red trench coat he was wearing was, for lack of a better term, loud. And I had never seen such bright, golden hair or golden eyes. Really, I hadn't seen golden eyes since Lupin. My breath caught in my throat, but I didn't say anything. We could talk about it later when we had some sort of privacy. The boy's head was held high yet there was a glare on his face as he continued to stomp past us. I knew immediately that I wouldn't want to make him angry.

To my utmost surprise, he continued all the way up to the staff table and took a seat next to Hagrid who immediately started a conversation with the strange boy. Only now did I realize how silent the Great Hall was. As soon as the eccentric blonde took a seat, the room started to whisper and murmur. I turned to look at Ron and Hermione.

"Is he a new teacher?" I asked. "He can't possibly be," I said to the girl across the table. "He's no older than Fred and George," I added.

"And did you see his eyes?" Hermione hissed quietly.

"What's wrong with the guy's eyes?" Ron asked, looking as clueless as ever. The girl across from me opened her mouth to speak but didn't get a chance before the doors to the Great Hall opened once more as Professor McGonagall led the new group of first years into the Great Hall. Our attention was quickly diverted to the sorting ceremony, waiting to see who would be sorted into our house this year. As usual, we cheered when someone was sorted into our house and clapped respectfully when someone was sorted into another house.

When the sorting ceremony was finished, Professor Dumbledore took his place at the front of the room behind his golden lectern. "Welcome back to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and welcome to our new students," Dumbledore said with a grand smile. "I would just like to make a few announcements before this year's opening feast begins," he explained. I sighed and  leaned my elbow on the table. Dumbledore was going to give the regular "don't go into the Forbidden Forest" and "stay away from the Whomping Willow" speech.

"Now, I'd like to introduce two new teachers on staff this year." Dumbledore announced. I perked up at that, looking at the girl across from me. She only shrugged and turned back to look at the headmaster at the front of the room. I looked to Ron who didn't seem to be paying attention. He was probably too busy dreaming about what kind of food he would eat in just a few minutes. "First, as you saw in your letters, we have added a new course to the school; alchemy. I would like to introduce our alchemy teacher, Professor Edward Elric," he said with a smile. To my shock, the blonde haired boy stood and gave a quick wave before taking his seat once more. Once again, the entire room erupted into quiet chatter. The headmaster held up a hand and the hall silenced.

"Our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher will be Alastor Moody, but he does appear to be running a little late; I do hope he's okay," Dumbledore mused. "Anyway, onto other matters," he said as he clapped his hands together. Ron groaned and smacked his head on the table. I couldn't help but snicker at the boy's actions. I could practically hear Hermione roll her eyes.

"Now, this year, we are hosting something very special, something legendary. This year, Hogwarts will be hosting the Triwizard Tournament." Once more, the room began whispering. I looked over at Hermione for an explanation, hoping she would know something, but she just motioned at Dumbledore. The headmaster waited for the hall to quiet. "So, this year, Hogwarts will not only be your home this year, but home to two lther schools; The Beauxbatons Academy of Magic and the Durmstrang Institute. So, without further ado, I would like to introduce the lovely ladies from Beauxbatons Academy of Magic and their Headmistress, Madame Maxime."

Just then, the door swung open, and everyone turned to look to see who was entering the Great Hall. When the girls entered the hall, I looked over at Ron to see if he saw the same thing I was seeing. The girls were beautiful as they danced their way up to the front of the hall. And their headmistress was a completely different story. I had to crane my neck to see her face. Following the ladies from Beauxbatons came the boys from Durmstrang and their headmaster Professor Karkaroff. When they entered, we made an astonishing discovery: we would be spending the rest of the year with famous quidditch player Victor Krum. Ron looked like he was going to faint.

This was going to be an interesting year indeed.

Ed's POV

I was still in a sour mood as I ate the food that had appeared in front of us about half an hour ago. The sorting ceremony hadn't been unpleasant, but I nearly fell out of my seat when that ragged hat started to sing. The first thought had been that there was a soul attached to the piece of the leather, but I knew the headmaster wouldn't appreciate me deconstructing an artifact. I also had to remind myself that things worked differently here, and that the explanation was probably simple; magic. Well, as simple as magic could get in the eyes of an alchemist.

And then there was the matter of the other schools that would be staying in the castle this year. I didn't know how the school worked during a normal year much less this, and that made me even more anxious. I was here, in a world so different from my own, in a castle I could still get lost in, I had to teach alchemy to a bunch of pompous wizards who knew nothing about the law of equivalent exchange, and keep track of one student without being suspicious. And now I had these other schools in the way as well as this extremely dangerous Triwizard Tournament.

If it was so dangerous, why would you even let it take place in a school? I wondered to myself grumpily as I took a swig of my pumpkin juice before setting the cup back on the table with a little more force than necessary.

"I'd like to say a few words if you please," Dumbledore said, gaining the attention of everyone in the Great Hall. I looked up from my half eaten food to where the headmaster was now standing in front of the hall. The hall went silent as the old wizard began speaking about the tournament and how dangerous it was going to be. I sighed and rested my chin in my hand.

Suddenly, the bewitched ceiling rumbled with lightning and thunder, causing the student to scream in fright. I stood, my chair skidding back and my hands poised to clap, but before I could do anything, my eyes caught sight of a man at the corner of the room. Before my hands could even meet, a steady stream of energy erupted from his want and calmed the ceiling.

More than slightly disgruntled, though I would never admit it aloud, I took my head and rested both of my elbows on the table, my chin on top of my hands. I didn't like the feeling I was getting from the man who shook hands with the headmaster before coming to take the only empty seat at the table which just so happened to be right next to me. I tried not to stare at the man, but I could feel his unusual, disturbing blue eye that was spinning around in his head was making my skin crawl. I hadn't felt this way since the Promised Day. I didn't like it, not one bit. I would definitely be keeping my eyes on this guy. And it didn't help that he was the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher; it just didn't sit well with me.

I couldn't be more happy when the Great Hall finally emptied as the House Prefects lead their houses to their respective dorms, and the staff was finally excused for the night with a light reminder about classes in the morning. Despite the throbbing pains in my ports, I raced upstairs to get away from the new teacher who had taken the seat next to mine in the Great Hall. I also needed to situate the classroom for the next morning as well as clean up the remnants of my anger from before dinner.

When I was happy with how the classroom looked, I slipped through the door to my private quarters. As I peeled off my clothes for my quick shower, I noticed how red and irritated the skin around my port was. I hissed as I pressed my newly returned fingers to the red skin which caused it to burn even more. From what I knew from Winry, it looked like a port infection, but I couldn't be sure. Who knew what this school and its magic was doing to my leg. At this point, I would just have to ride it out and see what would happen. With that thought in mind, I took my quick shower before drying off and hopping into bed for what I hoped would be a good night's sleep.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

109K 3.7K 44
Annabeth was expecting a normal end to summer. She was expecting to end the day with Percy and wait for her father to pick her up. What she got inste...
28.3K 1.8K 46
Part two of the Alchemy: Magic Vs Science. Politics. Either you love it, hate it or you live it. For Alchemy Teacher Edward Elric, he lives it, hates...
3.7K 221 26
How far would you go for a friend? Elliott transfers to Hogwarts for his fifth year, due to sinister events that happened in his family. However, bec...
461 17 18
As a former Hogwarts student, journalist and magician activist Cassandra Doyle was delighted and honored when she received a letter from the Deputy H...