✧The Earthe of the Elves✧

By StoriesbyAvery

"Upstairs!" I hear a yell and pounding footsteps. I crawl out of the window until I'm hanging from my hands... More

Note + aesthetics
1
2
3
4
5
6
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60- Epilogue
3 & 4 - Knox
17 - Knox
28- Knox
30 - Knox
59 - Knox
Extra chapter:)

7

206 10 0
By StoriesbyAvery

Mia's POV

--------------------

Knox picks up his pace as the darkness approaches. I would be annoyed at how fast he is having me walk to keep up, but it's keeping me warm from the night chill.

"So tell me a little about this Queen," I say to Knox as we wind our way through this city of trees. 

"Ummm... Well, we elect Queens or Kings in certain situations, much like how you elect a president. So she was elected 11 years ago."

"11 years? Don't you re-elect or something?" I ask as I pull the hood of my cloak over my head. The darkness is bringing on another wave of cold.

"Well, usually the next Queen or King is from the same family as the previous one, like how a usual Monarchy will go. But when the last king died..." Knox catches my gaze, his eyes sad. When he turns back to face the path ahead of us he finishes: "...There was no family left to take over for him, so that is when we elected a new leader."

I nod, following Knox as he takes a left down another path. The glow from the lanterns lining the path shed a warm light across the path and make the snow all around glitter.

"Oh, and what about the trees?" I ask, once again enthralled by their size. "How are they so big? And why are they bigger inside than they look outside?"

"It's basically the magic of the forest keeping them big, and there is some of Earthe's magic that makes the trees bigger inside. And the windows."

I'm about to ask another question when a howl cuts through the air. It's raspy, loud, and more then creepy. Enough to have goosebumps working their way up my arms. Instead of stopping I speed up, hoping to get inside faster. Knox speeds up with me, easily, but doesn't look concerned.

"What was that?"

"Just a wolf probably." Knox glances around, then shrugs. "Of course we can't see them here though. That's why we have a wall surrounding Bhailewood. So the... worse creatures can't get in."

"Hold on. I thought this was Earthe. What's Bhailewood?"

"Oh, sorry, I forgot to explain. Bhailewood is this city, kinda the capital of Earthe. We'll explain more later. But we're almost there, so I think I should tell you something before."

My mind swirls with possibility of what could be so important that he has to announce it like that, but I force myself to focus on his words as I nod, signaling him to go on.

"The Queen, she's my mother."

I almost laugh, but one look at Knox tells me he's serious. I raise my eyebrows at him.

"You're a prince?"

"Yeah, that's the official term I guess. I prefer to just be like any other elf here though."

Pretending like this knowledge isn't making my mind run in circles, I just nod for-like- the millionth time.

"We're here." Knox's voice refocuses my tired brain to the tree ahead of me.

Holy huge.

This tree is significantly bigger than the others, and even though it's winter it still has a plethora of orange, red, and yellow leaves blooming way at the top. The trees' bark is mostly normal, with a few swirling carvings here and there. In front of me is a small wooden bridge crossing a stream to get to the tree's green double doors, which are carved with designs of leaves and clouds and mountains. It's beautiful.

Stationed on either side of the bridge are two guards dressed in armor, holding spears and carrying a bow with a sheath of arrows on their backs. They look quite intimidating, but one foreign word I don't understand has them moving aside, one giving a bow as Knox passes through. Knox speaks to the one who bowed in a fast, elegant language I can't even hope to decipher, and the next thing I know they're both laughing. I can't help but smile as I watch. 

I give a small nod and smile to the men as I follow Knox to the doors, where another pair of guards open them for us. My heartbeat speeds up as the guards turn to stare at me as I walk, murmuring in that same language Knox was. 

Do I really stick out that much?

The minute the doors close behind us warmth spreads through me, enough to have me take off my hood and unwrap my cloak from around me. 

Inside is massive, and virtually everything is made of wood. An elegant staircase leading to a second floor to my left, a huge hallway in front of me with colorful banners and tapestries lining it. To my right is an arched doorway leading to a room with a pool filled with clear, glowing water. My gaze is drawn to everything as we walk down the hallway. Most of the doorways are just that, with no actual doors. Just an archway. The tapestries depict all kinds of scenes, from battles to picnics in trees to flowers and leaves. It's mesmerizing, but unfortunately we are through the hallway before I can really study them, through two huge double doors and into a large room with towering ceilings, a glittering jewel chandelier, and pedestals each holding small fires that flank a wide, red and gold rug leading like a red carpet down the center of the room to a raised dias. The platform has two chairs- no, scratch that. Two thrones. There is a smaller one and a big, centered one. The big one, unlike most other furniture, is not made of wood, but one large slab of white and grey marble. The smaller one is similar, but less extravagant. There is a rich purple cloth draped over the back of the large throne, and in the chair sits the prettiest woman I've ever seen.

I see where Knox gets it from. I mean- she's gorgeous.

Her thick, straight, super blonde hair goes down to her hips, and certain strips are braided in crazy patterns that all swirl together to form a bun on top of her head, letting the rest fall down in a silky curtain. Her eyes are blue, and she has to be at least 6 feet tall. She is dressed in a white dress that has sky blue ruffles all down the skirt, and long, lacy sleeves. Definitely a lot fancier than my dress. 

The crown she wears is surprisingly modest for such an extravagant home and dress. It's not tall, but a nice sized, simple one covered in shimmering diamonds. The center of the crown holds a single deep red ruby that has my eyes immediately drawn to it. The rest of the crown is just diamonds covering the silver strips that weave around each other. There is also a web of tiny silver chains that hang down, ending in a single chain holding a small, diamond-shaped jade jewel in the center of her forehead.

Part of me thinks she looks intimidating and scary as hell, but the other part of me thinks she looks regal and kind. The kind side wins when she sends Knox and I a thousand watt smile as we approach the throne.

"Welcome, Mia. We're so glad to have you."

"Thank you," I reply a little shakily. I'm not really sure how I should be talking to a Queen. She must notice, because she stands up, her dress billowing around her as she steps down to our level. Should I bow?

"Don't be nervous Mia. I'm Queen Larraeith, but please call me Rose. We're only formal to an extent here." With that, she walks up and pulls Knox into a loving hug. Even the hug is graceful. What is it with elves and being graceful all the time?

"Thank you dear. You really helped us out."

Knox gives a small nod. Queen Larraeith- Rose- backs up and looks me up down. Just like in the dress shop, this look doesn't feel mean, just.... Curious. But that makes sense. I've kinda been feeling like Alice in Wonderland recently.

Curiouser and curiouser.

"What a lovely young woman you've grown to be."

My lips part and I give her a confused look.

"Do you know me..?" I know she doesn't. I would've remembered someone this ethereal. I would've remembered seeing any elves. They all look ethereal. 

Before she can answer me Knox says something quickly in what must be their native language. Rose nods, like something clicked in her brain.

"Yes, of course. Mia, you must be tired. We have arranged for you to stay here, and have a room ready. Knox will lead you there, and I promise we'll explain everything tomorrow, when you've had a chance to... take in all of this."

As she's talking it dawns on me just how tired I am. More than I thought. And not just my feet, which are already pulsing with aching pain, but my brain too. Travelling into another world can take a lot out of a person I guess.

"That would be great, thank you so much."

Rose nods, says something I don't understand to Knox, then heads to a room to my right, closing the door behind her.

"C'mon, it's this way," Knox says gently. Even he sounds tired. 

After taking two flights of stairs we reach another hallway, large and similar to the previous two floors, with paintings and tapestries and lanterns lighting the hallway. There is a window at the end of the hallway, but by now it's so dark I can't see outside. All of the rooms down this way have doors, dark brown with carvings in them. 

Our feet pad almost silently down the hallway, and I relish at how quiet it is up here. Knox stops at the last door on the left, stepping aside when I walk to stand in front of it. I blink at the door, then look over at Knox.

"You have to place your hand on it. Anywhere. It'll recognize your hand print and let you in."

"Does it only recognize my hand print?" I gape, barely believing this. It's just a door, how can it be engineered like that?

"Yes. If you ever want someone else to 'have a key,' so to speak, you can change it to allow as many people as you want to be able to get in. But right now, only you."

I nod, unable to keep the little-kid-in-a-theme-park look off my face. This is really cool. So I step up and place my right hand on the door. To my surprise the vines carved into the door shift, moving to trace my hand. A split second later the door clicks and opens a crack.

"Woah," I breath, watching the vines go back to their original place like snakes sliding along the wooden surface.

"Alright. Sleep as long as you want, my mother and I will be downstairs when you're ready. There are all the clothes you will need in your wardrobe."

I look down at the dress I'm currently wearing, then back at up Knox, who's face is dancing with shadows from the candles.

"Why did we go to the dress shop if I have clothes in my room?"

Knox gives me a small smile. "I thought you might like the experience. Plus I thought you could use the warmth for a minute."

I nod, laughing awkwardly. "I definitely did. And hey, thanks for.... Saving my life. God, still sounds crazy to say."

"Of course, and you'll get used to it, if that makes you feel any better."

A nervous smile tugs at my lips as I shake my head a little, looking down at my boots. I don't know if I want to get used to that.

"Okay, goodnight," Knox says, starting to back away. I give him a little wave as I head for my door.

"Night." 

I watch him for a second, how his hair swishes around as he turns his back to leave, how he walks with such grace and purpose. After a second I head to my door, but stop when my hand touches the doorframe to look back down the hall.

Knox is gone.

I frown in confusion. The hallway is so long, he shouldn't be able to make it there that fast. But my drooping eyes and muffled brain tell me to worry about that later, so I walk into my room and shut the door. 

Lanterns line the walls, shedding a surprisingly bright but cozy light inside. My room is big, probably as big as my living room and kitchen at my house combined. Against one wall is a wooden-framed king sized bed with cream colored sheets and a grey, really soft looking blanket folded at the end. There are at least four pillows with cream covers. But what makes me almost squeal like a little girl is the canopy that hangs over the whole thing, with a sheer white silk draped over the wooden posts. On each side of the bed are smooth wood nightstands with lanterns placed on them. There are two large windows on the other side of the room from me, which currently are covered by thick curtains. Past the bed I notice a dark leather couch in front of a wall of full bookshelves and a fireplace. That sight makes my smile even bigger. 

Walking to the other side of the room I spot a closet, which upon inspection is home to undergarments, sleepwear and armor. Huh. Heading to the left of the closet I open a clean, rich brown wardrobe to find, hanging on wool-padded wooden hangers, at least ten dresses and multiple pairs of shirts, pants, and skirts. On the wardrobe floor is a line of winter-looking shoes, similar to the ones I have now. I cover my mouth as a laugh escapes it. This is every girls dream. A huge wardrobe with a ton of stuff. As I finally shut the wardrobe doors, I noticed an arched doorway straight on the other side of the room as the bed, next to the bookshelves. Opening the door I find myself in a large bathroom with a shower, tub, and long granite vanity with a sink and a mirror above it. What I find interesting is the lack of metal. I don't see a single piece. The tub is a large clawfoot tub made of stone, and the shower head is just a part of the wooden wall that has holes in it. There is glass, but it's textured and warps my vision, like it was hand made. Even the mirrors have intricate wooden frames instead of metal. I guess in this world wood doesn't rot.

I don't think too long on it, though, because as my excitement calms down my brain finally has time to let the events of today sink in. My eyelids droop as I lazily take my hair out of its falling-apart braid, brushing it out with a hairbrush I found in a drawer under the sink. I don't even bother brushing my teeth. My aching feet drag on the floor as I head to the closet, stripping off my dress, placing my boots in the wardrobe, and grabbing a pair of clothes from the closet that I think is what they wear to sleep here. A simple pair of white shorts and matching tank top.

The minute I get under the soft silk sheets, pulling the heavy blanket over my body, I let out a sigh at how good it feels. I feel safe.

The second I place my head on the pillow, I'm out.

—————————————————————————

Fun fact I have all the chapters written already, I'm just re-reading them all to edit them. I'll probably have the whole book posted within the next few days!

-Avery

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

49.5K 2.7K 29
Once upon a time, there lived a poor little girl in the dirty streets of the human world. With her parents gone and her having to survive alone, she...
19.6K 782 30
What happens when your worst nightmare becomes a reality? What happens when fairy tales come true? And not just the good ones. Arielle has grown up h...
10.3K 939 100
"Three weeks. That's how long I got to have drama-free. I'm not sure what is happening to me or to Oakwood. Nothing's the same since I rolled into to...
11.9K 742 39
Born an elf into a world where elves are hunted and killed, twenty-two year old Faeda fears she may be the last of her kind. Hiding amongst those who...