Something About The Sunshine

PoeticPhantom101 által

Leah Rhodes thought Jordan Hayes was suppose to be her perfect man, attractive, smart, funny, most of all... Több

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven

Chapter Twelve

565 38 2
PoeticPhantom101 által

"What kind of ex are we talking about here? Was she a fling or almost Mrs. Grayson Hart", Kyra asked in a sort of loud whisper.

"Senior year of highschool sweetheart who cheated on him their freshman year of college. Broke his heart and tried to use him to get to the family money and fame", Kaden explained just as she made it towards us.

"Happy 4th everybody", she smiled cheerily even though she was staring extra hard at Grayson and I. I felt so uncomfortable underneath her heated stare that I went to take a step out of Grayson's arms. But just as I went to do so Grayson held me tighter to him and kissed my hair, something she definitely noticed.

"No offen- actually no, full offense here Olivia. What are you doing here", Aurora asked as she glared at Grayson's ex.

"Well my family is out in Europe for the summer but I had to stay to model for some huge designers over the summer. I was getting a bit lonely and remembered how much fun coming to these barbeques with Grayson was, so I figured I'd come by. Veronica did always say I could come by anytime", Olivia smirked.

"That was before you were running through college guys like a-", August started looking quite angry.

"That's enough August", Veronica interrupted him.

"And that's Mrs. Hart to you Olivia", she finished snapping her eyes to Olivia angrily, making me smile a little.

Olivia frowned for a second before faking a smile once again and looking towards Kyra, Beck, Grayson, and I.

"I see we have some new comers, who exactly are they", she asked.

"Beck and Kyra, we work for Veronica at her Magazine company", Kyra explained with a bit of bite in her voice.

You see I was never one of those people who was easily angered. I prided myself in being in control of my emotions... at least for the most part.

But Kyra, Kyra would fight you just because you looked at her funny. So it was no surprise that she was staring daggers at Olivia while Beck had a hold of her hand. It would almost be sweet and romantic if I didn't know it was to make sure Kyra didn't tackle Olivia to the ground.

"And you", Olivia asked looking down at me with her icy blue eyes.

"I'm Leah, I work for Veronica as well", I said with pride.

"That's funny, Mrs. Hart never needed housemaids before", she said feigning confusion, but I could see the evil smirk she was trying to hide.

No.
This.
Bitch.
Didn't.

"Why you little-", Kyra began as she stepped forward. Beck was quick to pull her back though.

"Actually I work at her magazine company as well. I'm her editor, columnist, and occasionally model for some of the photoshoots", I said with a fake smile.

"That's funny, you definitely don't look like a model, they're usually not as dark... and skinnier", she noted looking me up and down.

You know what I was gonna try and be nice, but fuck that.

"You know what they say, these days men don't want just skin and bones anymore. But if I find one that does I'll be sure to send them your way. And as for looking dark... Well I'm sure you know the saying 'the darker the berry, the sweeter the juice.' And if you don't I'm sure Gray would love to fill you in on how sweet that juice is", I smirked.

Her eyes lit up in anger as her jaw dropped.

Yeah, try me bitch.

I felt much better and even more confident when both August and Aurora chuckled. Kaden chuckled but hid it with a cough, and Xavier was trying to hide his laughter behind his wife.

"Usually I'd tell you to get the hell out of my sight Olivia. Did you know even the mention of you use ruin my entire day? But looking at you right now, I don't feel a thing. Not sadness, not anger, not even an ounce of resentment. I feel absolutely nothing when it comes to you, and who would've thought that this beautiful woman in my arms right now would be the reason. You can stay if you want, though I'm not sure why you would. I'm gonna enjoy some time with this amazing woman", Grayson said with unwavering blue eyes.

He then looked down at me and smiled that heart racing smile of his.
"Would you like to get something to drink little goddess", he asked me.

I smiled as I felt the usual blush that I feel around Grayson hit my cheeks.

"I'd love to Gray", I smiled.
He then took my hand and pulled me away and up to the patio where there was a table and multiple coolers filled with drinks.

"So let me guess, she had a great personality", I chuckled to ease the awkwardness.

She was the complete opposite of me. She had the shape of a McDonald's straw, the height of a basketball player, but the looks of every other Victoria Secret model out there. I on the other hand definitely had a curve to my figure, usually had to climb on counters to get to top cabinets, and was pretty but not stunning.

How does one guy go from one to the other?

"Not all the time, she could be an absolute bitch at times but I was stupid and had a bad case of puppy love. I looked past her very obvious and serious negative traits because I thought she was it for me. I draw the line at sleeping with several men over the span of 3 months though", Gray explained as he grabbed us both a can of coke.

"I'm sorry you had to go through that", I said as he handed me the coke.

"Don't be, it broke my heart but I learned a valuable lesson from it and became a better man. It helped me realize what kind of relationship I wanted", he shrugged.

"I definitely can understand that", I said as we stood on the patio looking out at everyone.

"The ex who broke your heart, he cheated on you as well didn't he", Grayson asked. I sighed and nodded as thoughts of my past with Jordan swirled in my mind.

It was so weird to look back at the past and remember how in love and happy I felt, or at least tried to be. All the tears wiped and replaced with smiles, all the bruises covered by foundation. Sometimes I wondered how long I could've faked my happiness before it drove me crazy and I cracked. How long had I truly been ready to mask my unhappiness? For the rest of my life? Because looking back at it I wouldn't have lasted very long at all.

"But unlike you, I still feel that anger, sadness, and resentment. You help ease the pain and anger a bit though. The more I'm here and the more I'm around you.... The more I realize how trapped I almost was. Now that I think about it, I haven't even had a nightmare about him since the end of March. But even though I'm over him, I'm not over how broken he made me feel", I said.

"Being broken is horrible, but it's a start", Grayson noted.

"A start?"

"Anything broken has the potential to be fixed", he replied.

"That's a pretty optimistic way to think about it", I smiled thoughtfully as I continued to watch everyone in the backyard.

"Of course, because as soon as we fix that beautiful heart of yours... I'm hoping you'll let me have it", Grayson smirked at me.

"Looks like you're just as smooth as ever", came a new voice. Grayson and I looked behind us and saw a man smirking as he looked at us. He looked our age and had dark brown hair and matching eyes.

"I don't remember inviting you", Grayson noted smirking right back at him.

"I've been your best friend since we were shitting our pampers and stuffing sand in our mouths, I'm always invited", he chuckled before they hugged and laughed.

The man then looked at me and let out a low whistle as he looked me up and down.

"Now Grayson never did send me a photo but judging by your goddess like beauty...you must be Leah Rhodes", he smirked.

My eyes weren't blind, he was clearly attractive, but Grayson was still more attractive to me. So not taking him too seriously I smiled.

"And you must be Wesley. After hearing a few stories about you and Grayson getting into mischief it's nice to finally meet you", I smiled as we shook hands.

"Like wise, not many girls can make this man act as gushy as he does when he talk about his 'little goddess'. He practically has hearts in his eyes every single time", Wesley said.

"Don't make me seem so pussy-whipped asshole", Grayson frowned as I giggled.

I giggled even harder when he was smacked in the back of the head by Veronica as she walked by us and mumbled 'language' with a playful scowl.

Grayson winced with a pout rubbing the back of his head as he watched her go into the kitchen.

"Yeah Grayson, language", Wesley laughed.

"I don't think I can deal with you today Wes, this barbeque has already had me going insane", Grayson groaned sounding exhausted. Feeling bad, I rubbed his back and in turn he looked at me and gave me small smile before kissing my temple.

"I figured, wasn't sure if I was seeing things but I swore I saw Olivia earlier", Wesley noted.

"Yeah, she tried to cause a scene in front of our friends and his family", I confirmed.

"But Leah here helped put her in her place. I told her she could stay if she wants but that I had no feelings towards her, good or bad", Grayson said.

"That's good man, holding no hostility towards her means you've finally gotten over her. Oh I also wanted to introduce you to my girlfriend, but I think she went to the bathroom", Wesley said looking around.

"Right here Wesley, just in time for my introduction", came a voice before a girl stepped out the backdoor and stood at Wesley's side.

I gasped in surprise at who it was.

Violet from Garcia's grill, the woman I met in the bathroom.

"Violet", I asked with a smile.

"Oh my god, Leah", she smiled back before we hugged.

"Wait- you guys know each other", Wesley asked as he and Grayson looked on looking highly confused. Beck and Kyra came to join us as well.

"Yeah, this is the beautiful Garcia's grill girl I met in the girls bathroom that I watched ditch her douchy date about 3 months ago. Remember I told you that she gave off good vibes and was so hot she'd make a homophobic Karen question their sexuality", Violet smiled cheerfully.

"That's a compliment if I've ever heard one", Kyra smirked.

"How could I forget, you said you didn't know if you wanted to befriend her or ask her on a date", Wesley said as we all laughed.

"So the friend you called to save you was Grayson Hart huh? Damn it's a small world", Violet said.

"Friend... Future husband... Both, but hey, who's paying attention", Grayson chuckled as he pulled me in front of him and hugged me from behind as I felt my cheeks heat up.

The attention Grayson gave me was so much more than what I had been use to with Jordan. He was always around, always touching me, and seemed so sure about us even though we weren't even officially dating yet.

He was a man who probably wasn't truly prepared, but damn sure still knew what he wanted. And despite me being hesitant and weary, I knew what he wanted was me.

The way Grayson was acting and talking, it was a turn on.

"Uh, I am. You guys are 10 times better than any of the telenovelas my grandma use to put on", Kyra smirked.

We all laughed and talked for awhile until Veronica announced it was time to eat. We were all in 2 lines on each side of the tables fixing our plates when I felt a small hand tap my thigh. I looked down at a blushing Evangeline holding an empty plate.

"Mommy said it was okay to ask if you could help me fix my plate", she said shyly.

"Of course sweetie", I smiled. She gave me her plate and I made both of our plates as we talked and walked through the line.

I looked up to see Grayson was across the table in the other line watching with a sparkle in his ocean blue eyes that I'd never seen before. I gave him a confused look to which he shook his head with a gentle smile and continued to watch us interact.

"Who's your favorite disney princess", I asked her as I put some baked beans on her plate.

"Princess Tiana, she works hard and didn't have to be rescued by a man", she says proudly making me laugh.

"She is really pretty and strong isn't she? Plus you have the same name as the brightest star in the movie", I smiled.

"Yeah, I like her a lot. Who's your favorite little goddess", she asks.

"I always liked Princess Belle, I liked how brave she was and I like reading books like she does", I smiled.

"Do you like to watch a lot of Disney movies", she asked as I made her a cup of Apple juice and then handed it to her for her to carry.

"All the time. My friends and I use to do marathons of Disney movies every few months", I replied.

"Can we do a disney movie marathon one day little goddess", she asked as I finished making both of our plates and we walked to one of the 3 to 4 huge tables.

At the Table we're Xavier, Veronica, Kaden, August, Aurora, Kyra, Beck, Wesley, Violet, and Grayson was still in line.

"Of course little star. We'll wear disney pajamas, eat candy and popcorn, sing along to the songs, eveything", I smiled as I sat her plate down and helped her into her seat on the other side of her dad.

"Little star", she asked.

"If I let you call me little goddess then I get to call you little star, because you're a star just like Evangeline in Princess and the Frog", I winked. She smiled widely and nodded before proceeding to eat.

I sat my own plate at the seat next to hers and was about to pull out my chair before it was pulled out for me by Grayson.

"A gentleman as always", I smirked.

"Only for you my little goddess", he smirked back as I sat and he pushed me in gently.

"They're so cute it's almost gross", Aurora said making us all laugh as Grayson took a seat on the other side of me as he rolled his eyes.

"I've never seen Grayson act so polite, are we sure its even really him", August joked squinting his eyes at Grayson from across the table.

Suddenly there was a bump under the table and August winced.
"Nevermind, that's him".

"Don't forget to hurry and eat August, Ezra and Kai are already backstage setting up", Veronica said.

"Backstage", Beck asked.

"Oh yeah, August here is in a band with some friends. They blew up about a year or two ago and are working on their first official album right now", Grayson said with a proud smile.

"That's awesome. What kind of music do you guys play", Violet asked.

"Its kind of a punk rock vibe, but we're just gonna play some barbeque, party classics tonight", he shrugs with a smile as his cheeks begin to turn red.

Aw, what a cutie.

"We talking My Chemical Romance, Fall Out Boy, or State Champs", I ask.

"A girl who knows her bands, what's a girl like you...", began a voice that immediately stopped when I turned around to see who it was. I was met with the sight of two teenage boys. One with blonde hair and green eyes, the other with black hair and blue eyes.

I guessed by the ripped jeans and faded band shirts that they must've been August's band mates.

The one with the black hair and blue eyes must've been the one talking because his eyes were wide and his mouth was open mid sentence.

"Did you guys get everything else set up for the set", August asked them. The blonde one smiled at me before looking to August.

"Yeah everything else is set. Thanks again Mrs. Hart for letting us play at your barbeque", he said politely.

"Don't call me Mrs.Hart just because we have guests, you two should learn from Wesley here and call me what you always call me", Veronica smiled.

"Yes momma V", he chuckled.

"How are you guys carrying a casual conversation when there is a beauty such as her among us", the black haired boy exclaimed.

I chuckled as Grayson glared at the boy.

"Thank you, I'll take it that you two are August's band mates. My name is Leah and over there are my friends Kyra and Beck", I smiled pplitely as I introduced them.

"Its nice to meet you guys. I'm Kai and Mr. Flirtatious over here is Ezra", said the blonde one.

"August you better warn your friend", Grayson frowned.

"Oh yeah. Ezra you're gonna want to try and reign in your charm. Not only are we jail bait still, but she's Grayson's 'not girlfriend' girlfriend", August warned Ezra which made him pout.

"That's no fun".

"Its cool that we'll get to hear you guys play. Next time you'll have to play your own songs for us", Kyra smiled.

"Well, if August doesn't hurry and get his things set up on stage I'm just gonna go up there on the mike and recall every embarrassing thing he's ever done", Aurora smirked at him.

He rolled his eyes and stood up from his seat.
"Optimistically I want to think you'd never do that, realistically I know you wouldn't even hesitate. Wish us luck everyone", he grumbled before walking towards the stage with Kai and Ezra.

After that we all began eating and talking as the sun began to set. The warmth and comfort I felt while being around them was something I hadn't felt in awhile. It almost felt like being around my own family. With everything so busy and hectic I hadn't really given it much thought, but I missed my family a lot.

My mom's warm smile, my dad's big hugs, the jokes Luke would tell. I missed playing games and gossiping with all my cousins, my aunts and uncles always giving me advice about my career and love life, my grandparents sitting back watching the family they helped create interact.

I watched as Xavier placed Evangeline on his lap so they could share a piece of Apple pie as Veronica looked at them adoringly. Aurora was trying to teach Kaden how to take a good selfie on her phone. Kyra and Beck were talking with Violet and Wesley about how they met and Violet's job as a social media manager.

They weren't family to me by blood, but this felt like a family I'd want to be apart of.

"Hey Leah", Grayson asked as he placed a hand on my thigh. A shiver ran from my leg to my shoulders as I jumped a bit at the feeling.
But when I turned to him I could tell something was up, and not just because he used my actual name. The way his eyes glanced from me to his phone as his cheeks looked a little flushed.

"Are you okay", I asked as I held his hand on my thigh with my own.

"Yeah. I have a surprise for you though", he said as he stood up.

That one sentence grabbed the entire table's attention.

"Should I be scared", I giggled nervously.

"Never", Grayson replied before grabbing my hand and kissing the back of it. Charming as always.

"I know I haven't known you for long..", Grayson began.

"Please tell me you're not gonna do what I think you're gonna do. She's the best thing to happen to you and you guys aren't even actually dating yet. Don't ruin it by proposing already", Kaden said making some of us laugh.

"Don't worry I'm not proposing", Grayson sighed rolling his eyes.

"Leah I haven't known you for long but if there is anything I've learned about you, it's that you care deeply for others. You are without a doubt the most selfless person I've met. I've also learned how much family means to you. I witnessed how much your cousin Talia adored you and how your Aunt Dana praised you on the phone and I was blown away. We've talked about families plenty of times and you've told me countless stories about your parents and your childhood, but I'll never forget the night we talked about your brother."

"For those who don't know, Leah has an older brother named Luke. They're very close just like my siblings and I are, but they don't get to talk alot. Luke is in the army and doesn't get to come visit his family often, much less talk on the phone or face time. So as a gift to Leah, I had Luke send this to me so I could show her", Grayson explained before handing me his phone that had only a black screen and a play button.

I took it with watery eyes and pressed play.

As soon as Luke's face showed up on the screen I let out a sob as my tears fell down my cheeks. His hair was closley shaved and shaped up nicely as well as his facial hair. He seemed to be sitting at a desk and was wearing his uniform but didn't look tired or sweaty. This must've been before he went in for work.

"I'm pretty sure this is recording", he mumbled as he messed with the camera a bit. I laughed and sniffled at his lack of technological savvy.

"Happy 4th of July little Leah. It's been almost a year since I last saw you and about 4 months since we've been able to speak on the phone. I want you to know I miss you like crazy. It seems like the more I miss you and our family, the more I see things that remind me of you guys."

"Just last week one of my troop members let me borrow that latest Star Wars movie. Though the great Carrie Fisher is gone, when I saw her on screen again I automatically thought of you. You are the 'Leia' to my Luke after all. It's not just about the name either, Just like her I've seen you grow from little princess Leah, to freeing yourself from Jabba the Hut, aka Jordan, to being the general of your own life", he said proudly.

"By the way mom sends me the magazine you write for so I can read your writings and see your model pictures. It's disturbing and pretty annoying when my troop sees your photos and say how sexy or beautiful you are. Peterson said when I go back to visit after he does he might be my brother-in-law, I don't regret punching him in his face but I must say you look as beautiful as you always have and even happier than I've seen you in years. I also want to say I'm so proud of you and your writing. I know writing is something you've been doing since we were young and your writing is so inspiring and uplifting, I'm honored to call you my little sister."

"I'm sure at this point you're tired of crying, I know how emotional you get. But I want you to know, you and our family, are why I chose this path. I love you, I love our family, and I love our country. And like dad said..."

"If you're gonna fight, fight for something you love. And don't come out that ring until the fights done or you've died trying", we said together. I couldn't help but to laugh at the saying, dad's being saying it since we were 7.

"On a different note, this Grayson guy, he seems like a pretty good one Leah. He was able to get in contact with me despite the time difference a few days ago and asked that I record this video and send it to him so he could show it to you as a 4th of July gift. He said he knew how important family is to you and he could see how being apart from me was hurting you. He was honest about his intentions with you too, and as a man and your older brother I respect that. I know after Jordan you may be hurt and scared but he seems different, I think you should give him a chance."

"Well it's almost time for me to head out Leah. But I want you to know that I miss you and I love you so much. Hopefully I'll get to talk to you soon and I'll get to come home sometime before the year is up. Tell Kyra and Beck I said Hi, and tell Grayson I said it was nice to meet him. Bye Leah Selene", Luke smiled with his own teary eyes before the video ended.

"Bye Luke Elias", I said softly before taking a deep breath.

I looked up and felt more tears escape my eyes as I looked at Grayson who was smiling warmly down at me.

"Thank you... thank you so much Grayson", I smiled before launching myself into his arms and wrapping my arms aroun neck. He caught me easily as the rest of the table clapped for us.

"Anything for you Leah... absolutely anything", I heard him whisper.

Olvasás folytatása

You'll Also Like

843 21 19
Ironically the one time Brielle tries to commit to a man for the long haul, he both cheats on her, rips open a terribly deep emotional wound and leav...
4.1K 220 25
** RE-WRITTEN VERSION IS NOW ON AMAZON, EBOOK & PAPERBACK AVAILABLE ** Leah Miller was just 22 years old when she was training to take over her dad's...