Alive - Fili Durin

By rocketeerin

Leona Baggins lives with her older brother Bilbo in the peaceful rolling hills of the Shire - that peace is s... More

Hello!
Leona Baggins
Part 1 || An Unexpected Journey
1 || My dear Frodo
2 || I'm Gandalf!
3 || At your service
4 || That's what Bilbo Baggins hates
5 || Incineration?!
6 || We're going on an adventure
A/N || POVs and title change?
8 || Trolls
9 || Which way, little one?
10 || Rivendell
11 || Durin's Day?
A/N || Changes to 'Rivendell'
12 || Stone giants
13 || Goblin Town
14 || Out of the frying pan...and into the fire
15 || Eagles
Part 2 || The Desolation of Smaug
16 || The quest for Erebor
17 || Neither friend nor foe
18 || Just a little prophecy
19 || A gentle giant
20 || Beorn
21 || Mirkwood (pt. 1)
22 || Mirkwood (pt. 2)
23 || A band of dilinquents
24 || The King of Mirkwood
25 || Barrel-riders
A/N || 2k!!
26 || Bard the Bargeman
27 || Lake-Town
28 || A wink of peace
29 || A warm welcome
30 || I belong with my brother
31 || On the doorstep
32 || Dangerous
33 || I am fire. I am death.
Part 3 || Battle of the Five Armies
34 || Settling in
35 || Reunited
Cute little tag
36 || Pieces
37 || Dragon sickness
38 || Forge and fight
Leo (but in pictures)
39 || I will have war
40 || Till death do us part
41 || Give their last
42 || Fire and Ice
43 || Remember
44 || Home
Part 4 || The Lionheart and the Halfling
45 || As we were
46 || Mountains to Meadows
47 || Axing tradition
48 || Dis
49 || A New Era
50 || Cheaper by the Thousands
51 || Dur-End
52 || Men dorzada menu...forever.
53 || The Legacy of Durin (epilogue)

7 || Alright, let's roll with it

8.7K 252 125
By rocketeerin

A/N: this is kinda just a filler with some sweet Fili moments :P
o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o

"Is this a safe spot, Leona?" Thorin asked the girl who scanned over her map. The party had come across a ruined farmhouse that looked to have been destroyed by a fire years ago.

"Yes, this area is known to be quite safe. The closest beastly thing would be the mountain trolls from the Ettenmoors. But this is too far South for them to travel. May find some squirrels though." Little did Leo know that after she had said 'yes' Thorin completely blocked her out and began unloading his things - he quickly learned that she liked rambling.

Leo's POV (a/n: let's spice things up ya'll):

I scanned the clearing for a place to lay my stuff and settle as the sun went down. We were surrounded by thick woods that made for a pretty good source of protection; or, at least I hope so.  We've managed to survive another sundown - hopefully many more.

Instead of continuing my hunt for a good sleeping spot, I began admiring the destroyed farmhouse, wondering what it looked like when it was first built. Who lived here? How many of them were there? What happened to it? What happened to them?

"A farmer and his family used to live here." Gandalf interrupted my thoughts, motioning to the house with his staff.

"What do you think happened to them?" I glanced up at Gandalf, causing my neck to crane almost all the way back. The setting sun blazed over the trees, resulting in me having to squint my eyes to see him properly.

"I do not know." He pondered for a moment, resting on his staff. I nodded.

I felt a little gust of wind blow pass me and a jiggling sound fade into the distance. I turned and saw no one; however, my backpack and bedroll - that I sat next to my feet - were gone. I spun towards the gaggle of dwarves only to spot my brown backpack and bedroll in Fili's hand. I started to shout at him but decided to watch him instead, curiously wondering what he was up to. He stopped at a spot farthest from the company, at the edge of the woods. Fili gently placed my stuff next to his leg while he threw his bedroll down by the tree to roll it out. Once Fili had his stuff laid out, he opened my bedroll and laid it out next to his - not too close, but close enough. I blushed at the sweet gesture and grinned to myself as I fully intended to move it a bit closer later on. I couldn't help but laugh when Kili placed his bedroll on the other side of mine and made sure it was touching mine. Fili smacked his brother and moved his stuff for him - or rather he threw his brother's stuff who knows where.

Thorin's stern voice shot through my giggly thoughts. "Oin, Gloin, get the fire going." The dwarves sprung into action

Gandalf sounded from his place still at the farmhouse. "I think it would be wiser to move on. We could make for the hidden valley." (A/N: I know what you're thinking and yes it is where they milk the ranch dressing cows)

"But I've told you already. I will not go near that place. Besides, our shepherd says this is a safe area and everyone is already settling down." Thorin retorted gruffly.

There was a thick tension beginning to form. I knew of Thorin's hatred towards the Elves. The hidden valley hid (literally) one of the most beautiful towns in all of Middle Earth - Rivendell, home of the Elrond.

"Why not? The Elves could help us, we could get food, rest, advice."

"I do not need their advice." Thorin barked

"We have a map that we cannot read. Lord Elrond could help us."

My eyes darted between the annoyed wizard and the hotheaded dwarf

"Help? A dragon attacks Erebor. What help came from the Elves? Orcs plunder Moria, desecrate our sacred halls, the Elves looked on and did nothing! You ask me to seek out the very people who betrayed my grandfather, who betrayed my father."

"You are neither of them. I did not give you that map and key for you to hold on to the past."

"I did not know they were yours to keep."

Gandalf turned on his heels and began to walk away from the camp. Oh no.

I ran to Gandalf and grabbed his sleeve to get his attention, his eyes softened when he saw it was me and not a dwarf. "Where are you going? You can't leave us." I felt a sense of panic rush over me at the thought of not having him around.

"I'm going to seek the company of the only one around here who's got any sense!"

Bilbo ran up to us, sharing my panicked expression. "And who's that?"

"Myself, master Baggins! I've had enough of dwarves for one day." He continued walking until he was out of our view behind the trees.

"Is...is he coming back?" Bilbo timidly asked.

"Great! Just great." I threw my hands in the air, still facing the direction Gandalf disappeared. "I know Thorin has been through a lot and may have every reason to be angry but that doesn't justify being a complete arse!" I continued my rant in my thoughts.

"Uh...Leo...I don't -" I heard Bilbo stuttering out.

"So that's how you feel about me, miss Baggins? I'm an arse." I heard a gruff voice a mere inch from my ear. My breath hitched in my throat - I had said all of that out loud.

So I can play dumb or roll with it

"I say you roll with it, miss Baggins."

Why do I keep doing that?!

I turned to meet the icy gaze of Thorin. He towered over me - I never noticed how large he was. I turned slowly to face the angry dwarf.

Alright, let's roll with it.

"Do you benefit from being mean to those who are only trying to care for you?" I locked my fingers together behind my back and held my chin up. "I've heard your story. I cannot begin to understand what you've been through and what you're feeling now. But this entire company - including Bilbo, Gandalf, and myself who have no tie to Erebor - agreed to help you. Agreed to put our lives on hold to help you get yours back. Anything we suggest or say may not always be what you want to hear but the fact that we're here at all means that we have your best interests at heart." He crossed his arms and clenched his jaw. "Yes we are all very annoying and sometimes hard to get along with but frankly, your highness, so are you. You can be a very unpleasant man and I don't blame Gandalf for needing to simply step away for a while. But, despite your unpleasantness, you are a great leader. Leaders do not have to be tough and hotheaded all the time to keep the respect of their followers." I nodded and turned away, wanting to just run away.

I turned back for one last thought. "Thorin, I have immense respect for you. And forgive me for my bluntness. I think you, even now, are a great king and leader and I am honored to be following you. But, if the time comes that we must seek refuge with the Elves then, by the gods, as your shepherd I say we do it." I turned away from him and clutched my heart that was ready to burst out of my chest.

Standing in front of me was the entire company that stared wide-eyed. Bilbo's mouth hung wide open. Fili and Kili looked like they had stopped breathing. Dwalin smirked. Balin was shaking his head. And Bombur was rummaging through the food bag. I rolled my eyes and began to make my way to Oin and Gloin who never managed to get the fire started. I glanced back to see Thorin stood staring at the ground with his jaw still firmly clenched.

His head shot up and he turned to the group. "What're you lot staring at! Come on Bombur we're hungry." He waved his hand at Bombur aggressively.

I sighed and went into the woods for a bit to clear my head. Plobbing myself down on the damp mossy ground against a tree, I smacked my head into my hands. Who am I to say a thing to Thorin Oakenshield! I worried about offending him and now that I've managed to do that I worry about him not listening to me anymore. A loud rustling in the trees startled me as I glanced up to see two squirrels chasing each other in the branches. Well, I was right about the squirrels.

"Well, that was a fun little interaction." Fili fell down next to me on his back, also watching the squirrels. He sighed. "What got into you, Leo?"

I began playing with a small stick I found poking my foot. "I don't know. I just don't see any reason for someone to be so rude and angry. Then again, I grew up in a peaceful meadow while Thorin battled for his home. I shouldn't have said what I said."

"But..." He sat up and rested himself on his elbow, "you did. And don't get me wrong, I love my uncle more than I can say...but he can be the biggest arse in Middle Earth." I smiled at him. "What you said may have been blunt but I wouldn't say it was entirely wrong."

"Fili!" Thorin's voice roared through the trees.

"Speak of the devil." He winked and hopped to his feet.

"Wait," he raised an eyebrow at me, "why did you move my stuff?"

"I thought you might be safer next to me. I could watch over you a bit better."

"But I'm the shepherd, remember? I protect you." I pointed along with my words.

He bent over to be closer to me. "Well, little miss, that might be a problem when the shepherd is smaller than her sheep." He strode towards the camp.

He's not wrong. The thought of actually having to fight hadn't dawned on me. It probably should now. Hopefully I won't have to fight for a while.

Only seconds had passed until Fili returned with a small pink flower in his hand. He kneeled in front of me and held it out as if he were presenting me with the key to the city. I had to clamp my hand over my mouth to keep from emitting an ungodly squeal.

"Your highness." He spoke softly. I could practically hear the smile on his face.

I gently took the delicate flower from him. "I am no princess, prince Fili."

He glanced up at me, his beautiful blue eyes shone with mischief. He simply smirked before running off to find Thorin.

I twirled the flower in my fingers and smiled to myself for what felt like hours.

o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o

A/N: Awwwwwww! Am I right?

Anywho. I tried out POV. I think I like it a bit more. Possibly. Still a big work in progress. :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.5K 113 29
Twenty years have passed since Erebor was recaptured. Kili and Malia lead a quiet life until one day a messenger from Rivendell comes. They both join...
355K 11K 31
"The things we love destroy us every time, lad. Remember that." Fairies are one of the oldest race of beings in Arda -once they called Numenór home...
26.5K 565 48
After the fall of Doriath, Líreth and her twin brother, Nanor survived and now wander around Middle Earth. What happens when she meets a dwarf king w...
62K 1.4K 54
(Y/N) is the daughter of Bilbo Baggins, she is a curious, kind and loyal young lady who has always wondered what life is like outside of the Shire. ...