Imperialist: The Voyage

By JBryan_mmg

Ancient African Emperor Moutassim I goes on a voyage and must survive monsters, cannibal tribes and his own m... More

Chapter One; Battle of Bremon
Chapter Two; The Robbery
Chapter Three; Complaints
Chapter Four; The Chest
Chapter Five; The Imperial Council
Chapter Six; A Royal Murder
Chapter Seven; Wedding Night
Chapter Eight; Tributes
Chapter Nine; Runaway
Part Two
Chapter Ten; The Black Sheikh
Chapter Eleven; Council Meetings
Chapter Twelve; The Stowaway
Chapter Thirteen; Deadly Fog
Chapter Fourteen; The Attacks
Chapter Fifteen; Volcano Island
Chapter Sixteen; The Discovery
Chapter Seventeen; Bad Advice
Chapter Nineteen; Mutiny
Part Three
Chapter Twenty; Redemption
Chapter Twenty-one; Slaughter on the Beach
Chapter Twenty-two; Honour
Chapter Twenty-three; Regret
Chapter Twenty-five; The Vision
Chapter Twenty-six; The War Council
Chapter Twenty-seven; Bloody hands

Chapter Twenty-four; The Smuggler

11 4 17
By JBryan_mmg

Votrek hated to admit it, but he was beginning to like Morabi. For a brief interruption in the civil war, he could put aside the fact that Morabi came from the other side and see him as a human being he could relate to.

The old man worked diligently, barely ate and only spoke when spoken to, as he and the engineer put their heads together and mapped the Kalli walls. He never seemed intimidated, although Votrek wondered if this was bravery or just the demeanour of an old man with nothing to live for.

Morabi had said he was merely there when the walls were being built. But as Votrek listened to the two of them talk, it was clear from Morabi's in-depth technical knowledge of constructing walled defences, that he was no idle bystander during the building of the Kalli wall.

Not to mention, Morabi was the very definition of self-made. From slave to the advisor of two emperors. Votrek itched with curiosity, to learn from this old man.

"They say you made your fortune the day you saved Emperor Abdullah II from a coup," Votrek said, coming up with two glasses of wine and waving the engineer away. He offered a glass to Morabi, but he shook his head.

"I don't drink, sire. And they would be right."

"How did you do it?"

Morabi shrugged and Votrek was newly impressed, at how nonchalant he was when describing his heroics.

"Nothing much to tell sire. I saved him from a bunch of crazed, insecure army officers who didn't like how Abdullah was favouring Genda in the imperial army. I got wind of their plans to murder him in his bed and I snuck him out."

"This was just before the secession crisis?"

Morabi nodded.

"He favoured Genda to produce a bride for his son too, didn't he?"

Morabi nodded again. "Yes, Emperor Abdullah betrothed his son to little Princess Kelita."

Votrek got up and began pacing, his eyes alight with curiosity as he hypothesized on the history of the empire and his teachings came flooding back to him.

"It all makes sense! First Prince Rodell helps Abdullah set up the sumoso unit, to weaken the power of the old beasts of war unit he inherited from the first emperor. Then Rodell convinces him to betroth crown prince Moutassim to his daughter. No wonder the army officers revolted."

"Well," Morabi said silkily. "It didn't help that your father encouraged and sheltered the elephant master, his fellow rebels and his hostage."

Votrek stopped pacing and idly fiddled with the runestone around his neck. He was less bothered by any underhand tactics his father might have used, than the fact that any mention of Bandu brought back unwelcome memories of his childhood.

"What is it they say? All's fair in love and politics," Votrek shrugged, before going to the tent opening to recall the engineer. "Anyway, break time's over. Back to work."

🇬🇾

Pathrice halted the horse on the hill overlooking the city of Kalli and surveyed the scene before her. Based on her estimates, approximately two thousand Sieberon troops had laid siege to the city. There were thirty trebuchets, ten catapults and twenty ballistas.

In the centre of this intimidating force of black armoured behemoths was a great, black military tent with silver trimmings. No doubt belonging to the King of Sieberon, a behemoth himself.

Behind her, Akhmed tightened his hold around her waist. When she glanced back, she saw that he was staring down at the armies with the wide-eyed innocence of a civilian who has never seen the Sieberonians arrayed for battle.

"It's alright child," she said, her voice softened as she tapped his arm. "They're too far away to hurt us."

"You could teleport down there and assassinate him in his tent," Rayne said from her nearby horse. Her tone was hopeful. But Pathrice shook her head.

"It doesn't work that way. I have to be able to visualize where I'm going before I can teleport there. I can't teleport to places I've never been. And I can't teleport too far. Right now he's out of range."

"Three girls and a boy with one hand," Sheryn muttered from behind Rayne. "When Votrek hears what happened to his daughter and he catches us, he'll peel us alive."

"I did what I had to do," Rayne said defiantly, her chin raised. "This is a war. I have no apologies to make."

"You're both right," Pathrice stepped in with an air of finality. They needed to stay focused. Anything less could get them killed. "No one blames you, Rayne. In fact, you distracted them enough to allow us to escape. But we have to be careful passing the Sieberon camp to get to Kalli."

"If only we knew someone who could smuggle us in," Sheryn sighed. Pathrice turned in her saddle and did a slow clap.

"Great idea Sheryn. In fact, it's an idea I would have expected to come from Rayne. Cause I don't think anyone here has made more connections with influential men in her life. How many men have you slept with Rayne? Be honest."

"Counting your father, I'd say about twenty-five," Rayne said sweetly. Sheryn covered her mouth and giggled. Akhmed looked from girl to girl, seemingly trying to understand what they were talking about.

Pathrice rolled her eyes.

"Funny. But seriously though, it's a good idea. Don't you know anyone?"

"Well," Rayne stroked her chin thoughtfully. "There is Kaygen..."

Pathrice gagged.

"Kaygen of Aruba? Arrogant, insufferable Kaygen, who thinks women are beneath him? You slept with him?"

Rayne shrugged. "He's rich. He's tall, dark and handsome. He wanted me. Why wouldn't I?"

"Ugh... you could sleep with any other rich man and you chose him..."

"You want his help or not?" Rayne snapped. "In my defence, I broke things off early. And his pride has never let him get over it. He's still trying to get his way back into my pantaloons, if only so he can be the one to end things. So we can use that to our advantage."

Sheryn shook her head in admiration.

"I don't know how you do it..."

"Sheryn, I beg! Please don't go following Rayne's example," Pathrice said, shaking her finger at her. "Fine, let's go find Kaygen. Where is he anyway? What if he's in the city? Didn't he have to close his salt mines under the Emperor?"

"That was the Emperor," Rayne said sadly. "But we all agree that respect for women is not one of Kaygen's virtues. So why wouldn't he reopen them under the Empress?"

🇬🇾

Sure enough, operations at Kaygen's salt mines were in full swing when they trudged in on their exhausted horses two hours later.

Several workers, who Pathrice strongly suspected were slaves, were climbing out of the salt mine caverns as they walked in. Cloth was wrapped around each of their faces, with the exposed areas of their skin and body covered in a crude mixture of dust and dirt. They carried leather satchels containing the precious commodity they risked their lives to mine.

Pathrice felt a pang as the workers looked at the newcomers with reddened, sad eyes. Other than their facial protection, the only items they wore were loincloths. Her eyes were drawn to their ribs, which protruded in sharp relief.

The four of them exchanged looks of discomfort, sadness stamped on their faces. To Pathrice, life in the army seemed like paradise by comparison.

They suddenly spotted Kaygen, who stood some distance from the mine talking with two men over a parchment. Kaygen was richly dressed in cream robes with gold trimmings and red boots. He also wore his signature turban.

"Kay!" Rayne's smile looked forced as she walked ahead of them. Kaygen turned, his eyes widening when he saw the trespassers.

"Rayne?" Kaygen looked surprised and none too pleased to see them. "What are you and your army buddies doing here?"

"Relax, we're not here on official business. Aren't you happy to see me?" Rayne batted her eyelashes and twisted her foot in the sand.

Kaygen ignored that and waited, a scowl on his face. Pathrice decided to speak up.

"We've come a long way Kaygen. We'd sure appreciate it if we could get our horses some water and maybe sit down a little," she pointed with her chin at a nearby tent, as she stroked the side of her horse's sweaty neck.

Kaygen ignored that too, his eyes remaining fixed on Rayne.

"To the point then," Rayne sighed. "We need some help. And in the process, we can help you."

"Help with what?" Kaygen rolled up the parchment, handed it to the two men and waved them away. They proceeded in the direction of the caves. "You have five minutes to state your business. As you can imagine, I'm a busy man."

Clearly.

"We need someone to smuggle us into Kalli, past the Sieberon troops," Rayne said, visibly swallowing. But at least Kaygen's scowl cleared.

"Well I've got good news and bad news," Kaygen said, looking over each of them. His eyes lingered on Akhmed's stump and Pathrice could tell he wanted to know what had happened.

"The good news is I've got about five wagon loads of salt to get up to Kalli tomorrow."

"And the bad news?" Pathrice asked, her heart already sinking.

"Why would I possibly help you four? Why would I want to risk my business, my life, for you? What's in it for me?"

Pathrice looked pointedly at Rayne, who seemed reluctant to go forward with the plan. But she approached Kaygen deliberately, the businessman looking down at her with his thick eyebrows furrowed in suspicion.

"I'm in it," Rayne said softly, reaching up and tracing a line along his jaw. Kaygen closed his eyes. "I want to pick up where we left off."

The businessman's eyes snapped open and he quickly shoved her hand away.

"You rejected me! And now you think you can stroll back into my life and pick up where you left off? Worse, use me to get into the city? It's not happening! I don't need you anymore. That ship has already sailed."

Rayne took a step back, valiantly holding her head high. Pathrice and Sheryn went to their friend and rubbed her back, staring daggers at Kaygen.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8K 809 75
*completed* Born with scales and the ability to breathe fire, Mo spent all her life being bullied and ridiculed. For in the Kingdom of Kreatier her k...
519K 27.1K 166
Featured at Wattpad's Editor Picks list. Luna, an overworked Engineer, had an unfortunate end. Her spirit, feeling wronged, fights Death for a second...
324K 12.6K 25
*Book One of the Amor Fati Series* Prince Calanthe Ámarent, once the child of a beloved queen regnant and now a disgraced prince, goes on a journey...
4.8K 342 25
When Dev saves a woman from drowning , he vows to make her his. Captured by her own saviour , Mehek tries to hate and escape her captive , but would...