The Flames of Medicine

By roseonthefloor19

"I've never had a home, everything that I touch and everyone I love ends up dead or leaving me because I don'... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38

24

708 26 33
By roseonthefloor19

Claire POV

It's been a month since I was able to walk and run around this hospital. I have favorite nurses as well favorite doctors. My skin is finally clearing and while you can see some burn scars on my arms, and legs and on my neck, Ashton has worked wonderfully with the other doctors  in helping my scars heal well. They won't clear up 100% but they also won't be so visible. I felt bad about them but Luke has helped me a bit in accepting them and letting me know how they don't define me. 

I finished packing my backpack, which honestly only had like 4 sweatpants and 5 shirts and 3 hoodies and my happy meal hamster. 

"hey, you almost ready hun?" Calum says as he walks in to my room. 

"yeah" I say trying to hide my sadness and anxiety. "almost done. Just trying to fit my hamster"

"no rush, I don't think Sophia is still here anyways. You're set to be picked up at 9:30  and it's barely 8:45. Such a busy morning huh?" 

"yeah, I couldn't sleep anymore so I just got up and got ready. Want to go see Luke before I have to leave you guys."

I finally zipped up my backpack and swung it over my shoulder as I grabbed my hoodie. Calum was waiting for me as I turned around leaning against the wall. He smiles at me and holds the door open for me. 

---------

I knocked as Lukes rooms door was closed so I didn't know if he was sleeping or if he was getting checked over.

"he's just resting honey, you can go in."

"oh, thanks Marie!" I smile as Nurse Marie walks aways smiling.

The room is dark and the only noise is his heart machine and slow reading. 

I quietly walk to my seat. 

"Hey hon. good morning."

Or I thought I had walked quietly at least. 

"man, how do you wake up with just a slight noise. I can't even sit before you're awake." I sit laughing

"you walk too loud. I can sense you."

"that make NO sense" I laugh. 

"how you feeling? you nervous? I know Sophia is picking you up today."

"yeah, she signs my discharge papers at 9:30. So almost." I look down and get my hamster out. 

"you're deflecting hun."

"no, i'm excited! I really am. I hear there are 2 other kids at the house so I'm looking forward to it." i fake smile and try to hold my view to him to prove him wrong.

"You forget I read body language and voice intonation as a living. What's making you feel not so great about this house? Do you not like your foster care guardian? If you don't, you don't have to go, we can always look for another one --"

"no no it's not any of that, I'm excited, really for the kids because I won't be alone, but I'm just worried or scared honestly that I have a "guardian" now." I look down giving up on hiding my emotions. He always makes me show exactly how i'm feeling and i hate him for it because i can't lie to him. "I just, I've never had a family before. I've never had a home. What if this isn't my home either? or they hate me? or the school I'm going to hates me? what if everything just sucks and you forget about me and --"

"Claire, breathe, you're working yourself up." he sighs. "Claire, come here. Sit next to me." 

I drop my bag on the floor and jump carefully on the bed making sure to not pull any cables. I hug my hamster and lean on his shoulder. 

"look honey, this isn't something that is taken lightly, or easily. It's a difficult transition. And for the record, we would never forget about you. Are you kidding me? You're my Criminal Minds viewing buddy! You got me hooked on it, and we will keep up with it. This is nothing far from easy to do Claire, you're being very brave and unbelievably mature at this move. Going through the investigation, giving your statements, you're amazing. And please, we would never forget about you. Let me just get out of here and we'll have our weekly mcdonalds happy meal." 

My eyes tear up a little at his words and I just smiled while he hugged me. 

"thanks Luke. I'm still scared but I'm also looking forward to going to school and having a house, not a cage."

Foster Home 

"Okay honey, let's get you settled in yeah?" Sophia said as she helped me get my backpack off along with a suitcase that she brought with clothes for me. 

"okay."

A woman opened a door and walked out more excited than I'd wish.

"Hi!!! My name is Laura, I'm your new foster mom! Hi Claire!" 

"umm... hi. Uh thanks for taking me in." 

"nonsense." she attempts to hug me but I pull back. 

"i don't know you. i don't know who you are."

"I'm --"

"Laura, let's take it easy okay? Let's get Claire up to her room and help her settle in and once she's a little more calm you two can get to know each other." 

I smile at Sophia grateful that she caught my uncomfortableness and tried to help me. 

"sure" Laura said as she faked a smile at Sophia as she knelt down but looked at me with anger?

"okay well this is your room, you have your own bathroom and your own space. You're next door to your foster brother Landon, he's at school right now he'll be home later." She smiles at Sophia and me as I stand there taking it all in. 

"Thanks Laura, I'm going to help Claire settle in before I head out. Is that fine?" 

"oh that's perfectly fine Sophia, no worries. If you need me honey I'll be downstairs" she smiles and walks out as she closes the door. 

Sophia turns to look at me, with a concerned smile "you okay hun? It's okay to be nervous and to let me know. If there's something you don't like about this home I can work to get you another okay? never forget that."

"Thanks Soph, i'm just nervous but grateful to be here. Besides I have 3 other people that are around my age and will go to school with me so I want to give it a chance."

"that's my girl. Now, let me show you what i got you!" she said all excited and made me laugh.

-------------------------------------

"Okay, you're all set, do you need anything more from me?"

"More time but I know you have to go work"

"aww, thanks Clai, I would love to but I do have to go. I'll come by Saturday and we'll go get some ice cream so you can tell me how everything's going yeah?"

i smile "sounds great. Thanks Soph." we hug as she walks out. 

"oh!" she turns around and runs back to me. "i almost forgot! the guys got you this." she searched her purse and pulled out a white box. "it's all fixed and has all of our contact info already saved." she hands me the box and I lose my shit.

"SOPHIA! ITS AN IPHONE! I HAVE A PHONE?!" i jump around excited and hug her. 

she laughs "yes, and you can text us, and you should probably text them so they know you have it and i didn't forget to give it to you like Ashton said I would. alright, now i really have to go. Bye hun! and text me!" she says as she gets in her car. 

I turn around and go back inside. I don't know where Laura is so I go up to my room and close the door.

I'm opening the box and as soon as i turned it on I see a photo of the guys staring at me. 

I laugh and go to my messages and look at the text groups that they started for me.

Favorite People 

Sophia Karter 

I click on Favorite People and start laughing at the convo that had already started without me.

I get scared with my door slamming hard on the door as Laura walks in.

"oh i'm so sorry honey, didn't mean to scare you. I have to go to work. Uh there's food in the fridge, eat what you want i don't care. be safe." she turns around and leaves leaving my door open. 

i stare at my door for a moment and look down at my phone. 

C: Hey losers! Thank you so so so much for my phone. I lost my shit when Soph gave it to me.

C: P.S. Sorry Calum, i like luke group name more than favorite people...

L: 😎😎

L: you're welcome! 

*group name has been changed to  'BAU Agents' 

I turn it off and look around my room. I sigh and decide to get up and look around the house and see what this new home is going to be all about for me. 

I want this home to work for me. god please. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 31.9K 60
"I was nothing but a publicity stunt? Something to keep your band from hitting rock bottom? W-What?" "We're sorry-" "You're not. You don't care. If y...
22.5K 470 47
"I'm not into all that religion stuff but I hope that you will end up living somewhere up there" ...
4.5K 16 43
-you saved my life, it's the least I can do. what is your name?- -I don't have a name...- 2018
408K 9.2K 53
I never thought an anxiety attack could be the best thing to happen to me. Rankings: #1 AshtonIrwin #2 Ashton #1 5SOS #1 5secondsofsummer #2 CalumHoo...