Sweet As You

By Aileedales

Cade Parkinson preferred his life in black and white. And when a spoiled heiress barged in and started spread... More

Sweet as You
(1) Kathie Jane
(2) Kathie Jane
(3) Kathie Jane
(4) Kathie Jane
(5) Kathie Jane
(6) Kathie Jane
(7) Kathie Jane
(8) Kathie Jane
(9) Cade
(10) Kathie Jane
(11) Cade
(12) Kathie Jane
(13) Kathie Jane
(14) Kathie Jane
(15) Cade
(16) Kathie Jane
(17) Kathie Jane
(18) Cade
(19) Kathie Jane
(20) Cade
(21) Kathie Jane
(22) Cade
(23) Kathie Jane
(24) Cade
(25) Kathie Jane
(26) Kathie Jane
(27) Cade
(28) Kathie Jane
(29) Kathie Jane
(30) Cade
(31) Kathie Jane
(32) Cade
(33) Kathie Jane
(34) Kathie Jane
(35) Cade
(36) Kathie jane
(37) Kathie Jane
(38) Cade
(39) Kathie Jane
(40) Kathie Jane
(41) Kathie Jane
(42) Cade
(43) Kathie Jane
(44) Kathie Jane
(45) Kathie Jane
(46) Kathie Jane
(47) Cade
Ending (1) Kathie Jane
Ending (2) Kathie Jane
Epilogue (Cade)
Bonus Chapter

(48) Kathie Jane

14.9K 719 229
By Aileedales

Kathie Jane

Ethan brings me a blanket and a bowl of chocolate chip ice cream. He carefully laid the blanket over my legs, tucking the edges so it wraps me completely. He climbs in the lounge chair, pulling me into a hug.

It was a clear afternoon and a dive in the pool was tempting but I'm too sad to take off my sweatpants.

"Baby, this so sweet. Thank you." I draped an arm around him, the other holding the bowl of ice cream.

He pulls back an inch to look me in the eyes. "I do this with mommy all the time. It makes her feel better when she's sad."

"This feels nice." I tweaked his nose, scooting to the side a little to make more room for him. I fetch a spoonful of ice cream from the bowl and ushered the spoon into my mouth.

Ethan looks down at his fingers. "Aunt Kathie, I know you're sad."

The ice cream was a cold glue all of a sudden.

He gazes back up to my face, his eyes moist. "Is it Uncle Cade?" His voice came out with a strain. He looked like he was about to cry out of disappointment if Cade really did hurt me. Like it would break him if Cade tarnishes the hero Ethan carved him to be.

"No, sweetie."

Ethan actually sighed in relief.

A smile blossomed on my lips. "I'm just sad because I miss him."

"Uncle Cade?" His eyes actually lit up.

I nodded. "Yes."

"Is it because you're staying at our house for a while and you can't see him? I can tell daddy to make him come over. He can stay too. We can share my bedroom."

I broke into a chuckle. "That's a brilliant idea, baby. But your Uncle Cade is a really busy man."

"But you miss him and it's making you sad." He pouts.

"It's okay. I'm just gonna hug him so tight when I see him and then we'll be happy. For now, Aunt Kathie's going to drown her sorrow in this ice cream."

"Cuddles?" Ethan stretched his arms out for me. Only dropping back down to his sides a second later, his eyes over my shoulder sparkling. "Uncle Cade!" He jumped off the lounge chair and headed to the sliding doors behind me.

My heart thudded.

With shaking fingers, I placed the bowl of ice cream on the lounge chair, straightening my wrinkled sweatshirt. I almost tripped when my ankle caught the blanket.

There I was standing in a shapeless sweatshirt and sweatpants, blanket hanging off to the side of my right leg. Not to mention the bedhead mess of the hair I hadn't washed since yesterday.

My eyes trained on my heavily pregnant sister who ushered him in and then Ethan holding a hand I wish were holding mine instead.

His gaze was wary when they meet mine.

"Uncle Cade, I'm so glad you're here. Aunt Kathie was just drowning her sorrows in ice cream because she misses you so much."

Cade looks down at him. "She was?"

I gave my sister a horrified look.

"Yup." He nods proudly. "And she said she's going to hug you so tight when she fina—"

Chassie tugged Ethan to her, covering his mouth with her hand. She laughed awkwardly. "Sorry. We'll give you both some privacy."

Ethan made a sound of protest.

"Baby, why don't we go see if daddy's done making the chocolate croissants?"

The mention of chocolate had my nephew scurrying back inside. Chassie looks at me one more time and gave me a thumbs-up before slowly turning around.

Cade walked toward me.

Behind him, Chassie has made it to the opening of the sliding doors. However, she stopped and hold onto the doorframe.

Then Cade steps even closer and I figured I won't mind if Chassie was just within earshot. The sight of him in casual jeans and dark shirt has already driven me to distraction.

My knees buckled. My toes literally curled and that's when the horrifying realization that I was barefoot dawned on me. I felt a grill on either side of my cheeks.

"Hi," I hear myself say. I contemplated how I was going to remove the unsightly blanket that I still hadn't completely taken off my other leg. I decided there was no way I can do it without doing something embarrassing so I just hoped gravity will do its job.

His eyes were still wary as if he was unsure. "Hi," he says, his voice coming out husky. The slightly tousled hair and the rugged look on his face made the sound so appealing.

I managed not to throw myself at him.

"Kathie Jane." He gulps, his hands going to his pockets.

He's nervous as I am.

"Yes?" I asked, my heart fluttering.

Cade takes a baby step forward. His hand raking his hair. "Shit, sorry. I don't know how to do this." He sighed and for a moment, he was adorably rumpled.

"How to do what?" I smiled to put him at ease.

"Get the girl," he murmured, completely torn.

Although puzzled, I giggled at the words I never thought would ever come out from Cade Parkinson's mouth.

My response made him relaxed a bit, realizing there wasn't any pressure at all.

"Am I the girl?" I fiddled with the sleeves of my sweatshirt.

A ghost of a smile hinted on his lips. "Kathie, I," he pauses for a moment then failed to continue. He sighed, frustrated with himself.

I let him compose himself. Or not. Because this ruffled side of him is too precious.

Cade takes in a long breath. "Kathie, I don't want to grow old grumpy and sad and alone," he sputtered.

Ookay. Wasn't expecting that.

"I don't want to be the man whose house gets egged on Halloween because I'm too miserable to give out candies," he continues.

Not sure where we're going with this but, okay.

He must've read the confusion on my face because he pauses for a moment. "I want to be a part of your life as much as I want to be a part of yours."

Great. Now we're getting somewhere.

"It will be stupid not merging our awesome DNAs together," he blurted out.

I resisted a laugh. "Cadey, what did you just say?"

His eyes rounded with alarm and then he murmurs a curse. "Sorry. That last bit was Christian's."

"Your brothers coached you?" A smile blossomed on my mouth.

He scratches the back of his neck. "Yeah, they thought I was stalling far too much."

"Were you?"

"I thought I should give you time to think things through. Maybe, take some time to realize some things before you leap."

"Like what?"

His eyes steadied on mine. "That you're selling yourself short for settling with a boring recluse."

"You forgot to mention this boring recluse has the most unquenchable sweet tooth there is. That deep inside he's all fluffy and soft. That he's the only person whom I don't feel the need to hide in bright smiles and banters with. That he holds me when I'm not feeling my best self. The only man I'll ever allow to step past my defenses."

His face tendered with hope. "Kathie Jane, I love you."

My breath caught in my throat.

"That's all I've got. I love you," he sighed heavily. "I wish I'm better at this."

I gulped, heart hammering and insides squirming.

"I swore not to fall in love with you. But then you're too sweet and so utterly lovable to resist. And I was just a man with a sweet tooth and a weak heart. The weakest heart when it comes to you."

A warm rush traveled down my spine. I reveled in his sweet words. Reveled more at the warmth in his eyes. The appreciativeness in them that shone vividly that I'm pretty sure will stay whatever I wear or how I look.

Because Cade Parkinson, as cold and aloof he can be, he loves like no other.

"Cadey." His name came out like a choked sob.

Cade took the rest of the spaces between us, catching the first tear with his thumb in record time. He looked concerned.

I shake my head and let out a weepy giggle. "I'm crying because I'm really happy."

"Oh." He sighed as if in relief.

"And because I love you too," I sniveled.

He blinked as if he couldn't quite believe it. "You do?"

"Yes, I love you."

He hovered over my mouth, his baby blue eyes steady and intense. His hands went to my waist, pulling me closer. "Can I kiss you now?"

I threaded my fingers over his nape. "Of course. We're officially together as of two seconds ago."

He leaned in so he was leveled with me.

"One question though. What's with growing old grumpy and alone and then getting your house egged by trick-or-treaters?"

"There was an old man who used to be our neighbor. I'll tell you some other time." Then Cade smiles, the twin dimples showing.

I giggled, tilting up on my toes because the lack of heels has put him about three inches taller. "Boyfriend, you may kiss your girlfriend."

He chuckles. "Gladly."

Cade leaned in and gently covers my lips with his in a light, sweet kiss. Ethan might come back out so we pulled apart. There was a clearing throat behind him.

I look over his shoulder and found Chassie still standing on the same spot. She was gripping the doorframe now.

Cade turns all the way around and slipped his hand in mine.

"Aw. You guys, that was so sweet. I didn't mean to eavesdrop but I couldn't move." Chassie managed a smile.

"Are you okay?" My gaze trailed down the puddle of water on her feet.

"Yeah, I'm cool. My water broke."

My mouth hung open. "Your water broke? Oh, my God. Chassie, why didn't you say anything?"

"You guys were having a moment. I didn't want to ruin it." She grips the door a little harder.

We both rushed to her side.

Have the nicest Christmas Eve, you guys! Gosh, I felt like it's been a decade since I've posted a chapter. Is it just me or do you feel that way too? I missed everything about it. Anyways, how's the chapter? Did Cadey nailed the "Getting the gurllll" part? Okay, I think I know the answer to that. lol.

Happy Holidays! Love you. Spread the Christmas spirit on the comments below. :) xoxo.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.6M 462K 43
Isabella Smith, a twenty two year old woman struggling to make it through the evils of the world and surviving through thick and thin to give her sis...
12.3M 403K 41
Cali Wilson desperately needs money. She had her father's gigantic gambling debt and 4 months overdue rent to pay. When she saw a job opening that of...
1.1M 34.9K 82
Highest ranking: #1 in Millionaire- 28/04/2021 #8 in Romance- 04/05/2021 (Out of 1.33 Million stories, WOW!!!) #2 in boss 13/11/2021 #1 in bitch- 30...
5.8M 156K 51
When billionaire playboy Nick Sinclair sets his sights on the one woman who wants nothing to do with him, will he be able to change his ways to win h...