DESMOND

By AyeshaAbbas1

Book #2 of the ALPHA tetralogy. Can be read as a STAND-ALONE. •¥•¥•¥•¥•¥•¥•¥•¥•¥•¥•¥•¥•¥•¥•¥•¥•¥•¥• Brakhella... More

Characters
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20

Chapter 3

422 21 1
By AyeshaAbbas1

I woke up and got ready, I didn't have any plans today.

I heard a knock on my door and opened it to see Wanda smiling at me.

"Good morning Luna." She greeted.

"Very good morning Wanda, how are you?" I said as I stepped out.

"Good thank you, had a good night's sleep?" She asked.

"Yeah, thank you," I replied.

"Luna, I'm here to escort you to the meeting hall," Wanda said.

"Meeting hall?" I questioned.

"Yes, the meeting hall as Alpha has asked me to." Wanda smiled and I made a confused face at that.

Why am I needed at a meeting?

"Okay, let me get this," I said as I grabbed my scrunchie and followed her out.

We walked for a good five minutes to the left side of the mansion, and then we stopped in front of a huge door.

Wanda gestured me to go inside and I grabbed the cold gold handles hesitantly before pushing open the door.

As the door opened, I saw a long table with almost ten people sitting around it, in the head seat was Axel.

Our eyes met and he got up, the other people followed suit and got up, smiles on their faces, mostly fake and forced-looking smiles.

The door behind me was closed and I took a look back, and then looked at Axel again.

"Brakhella, please sit." He said to a seat empty next to his.

I walked there and stood at my spot next to him, waiting for him to explain what's going on.

"This is Brakhella Rodriguez, my mate, and Brakhella these are the important people of our pack who are the backbone of it," Axel said and then I got it.

"Good morning everyone." I greeted and everyone bowed as a greeting.

"Malena Prisec." The woman next to me introduced, extended her hand for me to shake and I did.

"Nice to meet you." I smiled in return.

"Likewise." She smiled before Axel motioned everyone to sit back down.

"Now that everyone has seen that your Luna is here, I think we are good now right?" Axel asked everyone.

I didn't understand his question for some reason, but I'm probably overthinking.

Half of them smiled, one of them had the fakest smile ever, it was rather a sinister one.

My eyes were glued to his face for some reason.

He was continuously looking at me with the most devilish smirk.

Axel started talking again but I couldn't focus on what he was saying until I realized that the meeting has ended and everyone got up from their seats.

I followed suit, some of them shook hands with Axel and some with me.

And lastly, that ONE came face to face with me as I was about to walk out of the meeting hall, Axel was occupied with a middle-aged man showing him some papers.

"Luna." The weird man called as I was about to walk past him.

I turned around with a forced smile on my face.

"My apologies, I think I haven't properly introduced myself, I'm Stark Coburn, a good ally of Alpha Desmond." He smiled, offering me his hand.

I placed mine in it, and he pressed a kiss on the back of it whilst looking me in the eyes, I was about to have goosebumps when Axel coughed from Stark's side.

"Coburn." Axel smiled and patted Stark's back and he let go of my hand.

"I was just introducing myself to Luna." He told Axel with a smile, "And we are so happy to have you here." He told me with a kind smile.

"Right, Coburn come I have to talk to you about something," Axel said and took him away.

"Luna," Malena said and approached me with a warm smile.

"It's so nice to have you here finally, I hope you like it here." She smiled.

"I already do, thank you," I said, returning the smile.

"I wanted to invite you and Alpha to my house for a welcome party in your honor." She smiled.

"There is no need for that, it's so nice of you," I said, not believing that people throw parties at Luna's arrival.

"I already asked Alpha now you have to confirm that you'll be coming to my place tomorrow." She said and she seems sweet, it would be rude of me to refuse.

"I will definitely if I'll be allowed to." That left my mouth before I could think of any other answer.

"Allowed?" She asked.

"I mean that I'm new in this city so I'll have to plan everything according to what Axel prefers so I don't get lost." I covered up.

I look at it that way, then I can't do anything with Axel's permission but have I ever done anything for myself without someone's permission, at least this is all less agonizing than what my pack used to do with me.

Just as we were discussing that I saw Stark Coburn leave and Axel came to us, looking rather stiff and in Alpha mode.

"Alpha I was asking if Luna will accompany you to the party tomorrow," Malena asked.

"She will, right Brakhella?" He asked, smiling at me.

I mean he is the only boy I've seen with this perspective, I mean we are mates.

Before this I've never been interested in dating, my life was freaking hell how can someone or myself expect me to have time to date or drool over hot guys.

I must say this first time isn't bad at all like I can say better late than never and this late is super hot.

"Yes of course." I smiled back at him so he won't get angry at me, I still don't know how he is or how it behaves, so far he is polite yet brutal.

"I'm looking forward to seeing you both there tomorrow, take care." She said as she hugged me and bowed to Axel before leaving.

I looked at Axel who was smiling a little to himself.

He noticed me looking at him and asked.

"How are you today?"

"I'm...better how are you?" I asked.

"I'm good, why don't you go to your room and you'll find Wanda there, I think she has a few things for you to look at to spend your day happily." He smiled.

"Okay...thanks," I said before I made my way out and to my room.

Wanda was already standing outside at the door.

"Luna, we have to go shopping for tomorrow and also Alpha asked that I take you to shop so you can get whatever you want since we tried to get everything for you, those things that we thought you might need but still if anything is missing, then we should go, because even if nothing is missing girls should still shop right." She joked and we laughed.

"You're right but my closets are about to burst why can't I wear something from there, and honestly I'm not that high maintenance so all the things that I have here are those of my daily use, no need of anything more, but I don't have anything to do today so I think it won't hurt to go out and still search for a dress for tomorrow's party." I smiled at her.

"That's what I wanted to hear, you're ready, follow me, Brie will get the things that you might need during the ride and anything that your maids should carry when they are out with you." She said as we walked out.

"I have one more helper?" I asked.

"Yes, she was on leave but she just came in and I think I'll be introducing you to her in a minute." She said as she opened the car door for me, it was seriously a Limo.

How rich are these people?! and what have I done to deserve this, this feels like a shitty dream first I was treated as a piece of shit by my parents and now like a princess by my mate, this is such a lucky dream.

--------------------------

I woke up early in the morning, probably before anyone in this house.

I took a shower and went out for a walk, I was proven wrong when I saw Axel sitting on the lawn chairs outside.

I stopped in my tracks, not knowing how to greet him cause he owns this place I just can't freaking waltz wherever I want.

I turned to go back inside when he called out my name.

"Ella!" He shouted and I stopped in my tracks again.

I've always imagined someone loving me much to give me a pet name, and you know what pet name I used to imagine.

Ella.

I turned around quickly, with new happiness filling my head suddenly, I was probably smiling like a fool judging by the slightly confused smile on Axel's face.

I know Ceclivia calls me that too but she is my wolf, and he is my mate.

"Alpha, good morning." I greeted him as I walked closer to him.

"Good morning, you wake up this earlier?" He asked as he patted the spot next to him on the lounging chair.

"I do, I've had this habit since I was a child, I used to wake up early to do work around the house and do anything that anyone asked me to, sometimes I had to be awake all day." I just started and stopped when it was too late, why am I so dumb?!

I stopped with a nervous and hurt smile as I remembered all the things which I should not anymore.

"That's okay, you just can't forget your bad past this quick, this is normal." He said pointing at me.

"Sometimes our bad past works as a step towards our betterment in a way that we can't imagine, sometimes our bad past ends up making us strong, clever or the opposite, kind, everyone's experience and turnouts are different, don't let that time bother and you'll be just fine." He said with a little wider smile than before.

"I know, it's just that it hasn't been that long, but whenever I get struck by a memory of my bad days I try to shake it off as soon as possible but I thrive to turn them into my motivation to become a better person and, thank you." I smiled at him and he smiled back before staring at the distance.

"She's the kind one." He whispered and I heard it clear but I tried to act innocent and asked.

"Sorry?"

"Doesn't matter." He said.

"Axel, I want to ask you something," I said.

"Hmm?"

"Why did you show me to everyone and asked them if they were happy now that I am here?" I asked.

"Because the pack members were worried when we found out where and how you were and when they saw you here, safe and secure they felt better that's all." He said but didn't look at me.

"Okay," I said, not believing a word he said.

"You remember we have to go to Malena's right?" He asked.

"Yeah," I said before getting up and excusing myself.

He is strange sometimes.

He isn't that lovey-dovey like a mate, he acts tough and he is tough actually, but he thinks with his heart and mind both, not just with his mind, he isn't overly horror like other alphas I've heard about but him being calm and planning about someone's last day on earth is a more dangerous combination.

I've learned one thing in my life, a man with a mind is dangerous than a man with strength.

He is scary and alpha type, feels like walking and talking destruction, but he is a clever and quiet one, he doesn't like to win things over growling or showing his muscles.

He likes to win over things by dragging the rug from under someone's feet and then standing smirking in a corner as he celebrates someone's destruction on the inside, yes, this is what I think Alpha Desmond is all about.

"Luna." I heard as I approached my room, it was Wanda.

"Good morning," I said and she greeted me the same way.

"Wanda I want some...things if you can get me," I said.

"Yes please." She pushed.

"I would like to get painting supplies," I said.

I used to paint too, yeah I know I have a lot of hobbies but I didn't had any friends all my life, didn't get to experience childhood properly and was caged in that hell of a house, so I made hobbies to ease my pain.

"I'll have things ready for you in an hour, where would you like to paint, outside in the gardens or out of the vicinity?" She asked.

"Oh no, just inside my bedroom would be great," I said.

"Luna, would you mind if I ask, that you look a little bothered by something?"

"I'm not, don't worry I'm just having a lazy day." I widened my smile to assure her.

"Okay thank Goddess, okay so from how long have you been painting?" She asked.

"Since when I was a kid, I started with doodling really, then I updated it from time to time and I started painting properly, I would love to paint for you if you want," I suggested.

"I would love that! I love colors! I'll just go and get your things now, until then Brie will set up your attire for tonight at Miss Malena's." She smiled and I nodded then she left and Brie walked in.

She managed my outfit for tonight, handed me all my essentials, and asked me to get ready as we were expected there by lunch.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I got ready and then left my room to meet Axel.

He must be waiting, I think I'm a little late.

Wanda was by my side the whole time we rushed for our lives to meet Axel at the front entrance of the mansion. I had to hit the breaks just when I was about to crash into his chest.

"I'm sorry that I'm late."

He stopped for a second as subtly checked me out before saying.

"You aren't, we are going to be one of the early guests there."

He looked so handsome with a crisp white shirt underneath his fitted tux, and on his muscular self, it looked fabulous.

I still felt overdressed, I was wearing a knee-length silk black dress with jewels on, it was a dinner party but Axel was also in a suit, maybe Wanda did a great job, maybe their dinner parties mean an actual ball.

We can't expect anything less from Las Vegas.

Axel offered me his arm to link mine through his and I hesitated for a second before finally doing it.

We both felt the sparks as our skins came in touch.

He held his chin up and smiled subtly before patting my linked hand's fist with his hand.

I felt close to him at the moment and tightened my hold on his bicep.

We stepped out of the mansion and into the front of it to get inside our car when Logan appeared.

"Alpha, Luna." He smiled and bowed at us.

"Beta." I smiled in return with a curt nod and Axel just stood there in the same posture as if he didn't see Logan.

Then he looked at him with the deadliest look ever, the one he gave to Alpha Bennet before chopping him into pieces, I was scared for Logan and also for myself.

"You're late Lodge," Axel said in a chilling monotonic way.

"I'm sorry Alpha it won't happen ever again." Logan apologized as Axel gestured for me to get in the car and even helped me in, it was a limo. I was still confused.

Are we going to a dinner party or what?

He got in, settled next to me.

The ride started and after a few minutes, he decided to speak.

"You...uhm--look beautiful." He said and I went crimson at his words, felt the butterflies in my stomach go wild.

I had to wet my throat as it felt like sand.

"Thank you...you look great yourself." I smiled back and he returned the gesture.

"Thanks...Ella, there are a few things that you should know."

I loved the way he called me Ella.

"Ahm," I said to tell him to go further.

"One and the only person that you have to stay away from, Stark Coburn, he is the alpha of our ally pack but that isn't the bad part, he is a complete dick."

"I will surely avoid him then," I assured him and he nodded before he went silent and glanced out of the window, it was a normal ride not too short, not too long.

I even noticed him looking at me many times and I looked away every time with a blush on my cheeks.

We entered the driveway of a huge manor, cars were piling there.

People were swarming the place, all high gentry.

Axel helped me out of the car and held my hand, linking our fingers together as we walked through the crowd but we didn't have to struggle as people cleared our path when they saw Axel.

"And here is the star of the night, for whom this is all for!! our LUNA!!" Malena announced at the stage as soon as she spotted us standing in front of the stage she stood upon.

The crowd turned towards me and applauded and cheered, I sank into Axel's arm, trying to hide behind it as it was so overwhelming.

I'm not used to all this seriously.

Axel looked at me and gave me an encouraging smile before silencing the crowd with a wave of his hand and a small smile.

Malena rushed towards us.

"I'm so glad you came!" She hugged me, it felt like she couldn't control her excitement right now, judging by her smile.

She bowed to Axel who gave her a curt nod.

"This way Alpha," Malena said before leading us to a part of the house where there was a mini-casino with what looked like booths for rich people the sofas were golden.

We got seated in and the waiter served us champagne, Malena joined us.

"I hope you liked what I could manage in a short time," Malena asked me.

"This is more than enough, thank you so much," I said and hugged her, she smiled widely as we separated.

"We still haven't told you who I am and how I know Alpha," Malena said as she started to talk.

"We were school fellows and we belonged to the same pack, our fathers were great friends and my dad was the commander in chief of our pack's force which I am now." She smiled.

"This pack has a whole force for which you need a commander?" I asked.

"Have you heard anything our pack has done?" She asked and I nodded.

"Then you'll understand, think carefully." She smiled and I nodded with a mischievous smile.

Before I heard the voice I was beginning to hate already, cause he scared me.

Stark Coburn.

"Alpha. Luna." He bowed to us before joining our booth and grabbing a champagne glass.

He sat right next to me, his body getting pressed to mine, and the bad thing is Axel nodded at him when he greeted him and left with a man who asked for a minute of his.

"I'll refill these." Malena left with our flutes.

Oh goddess no.

"You look ravishing Luna." He said as he drew his nose closer to my neck, I got up.

"I should go find Axel," I said and he grabbed my thigh which was still behind the table so no one could see it but us two.

A gasp left my mouth and I snatched my leg out of his grip, my worried eyes searched the room for Axel but I couldn't spot him in the sea of people. I got out of the booth and just started walking straight trying to get away from Stark's eyes, I knew he wasn't good. I ran into Malena with champagne flutes in her hands.

"Luna, I was just coming to you, is everything alright?" She asked out of concern.

"Yeah, I was just looking for Axel," I replied.

"Oh, he'll join us in a minute or two, come with me." She said and took me back to that booth where Stark was not sitting anymore.

A sigh of relief left my lips and I heard Axel's voice from behind me, I turned around to come face to face with him.

"You...look pale is everything alright?" He asked.

I took a minute to respond, he won't believe me when I'll say his good ally was harassing me, I mean Axel did tell me that he wasn't a good man but if I tell him what happened, he will not just break their alliance because of it, I think.

"Everything is fine, I just wanted to use the restroom," I said and he nodded before grabbing my arm and leading me to the left side of the crowd, wait, was he going with me?

He led me upstairs where all the rooms were and opened a door, we went in and he closed it, still, my arm was in his hold.

It was a room with black walls, it was all black with white dim lights and red furniture.

I don't know what came over me but I tried to tell him.

"Axel I..." I stopped, he'll think I'm doing this on purpose that he told me to avoid Stark just today and he already did something, and that something is harassing me?

Goddess! Tell me what to do?!

"Hmm?" I had his full attention and he looked at me expectantly.

"Nothing, I'll be back in a minute," I said before I went to the washroom.

I was wearing light makeup, not anything heavy and it was waterproof, to wake myself up I turned over the faucet of cold water and let my hands go cold before I rested them on my face for a minute.

Now I feel better.

I did that and left the washroom, Axel was sitting on the bed using his phone.

He looked up from his phone at me and took a second before speaking.

"Ready?"

"Yeah." I forced a smile on my face.

-----------------------------

When we stepped out of the room he grabbed my hand as we went downstairs and to our booth.

An hour passed and we didn't see Stark so I was relieved, the dinner was served and all the guests were guided to a dining hall, the dining table had almost two hundred seats I took a guess, judging by so many seats.

Axel sat at the head chair with me on his right and Malena at his left.

Everyone ate, Malena proposed a toast to welcoming me and everyone cheered, I even spotted Stark amongst the crowd but I didn't make eye contact with him.

Everyone finished eating and greeting me and we went back to our booth and the party started again.

For some hours Malena showed me around, Axel had left to talk with a man.

He came back and Malena took us both to the side where they were playing poker.

But her eyes landed on another game of shots, she dragged us there.

"What are you guys playing?" She asked a girl who she knew and hugged.

"Dare or shot." The woman told her.

I saw Stark across the room and he was stumbling over stuff. He must be super drunk.

"Prisec this isn't my stuff." Axel said to Malena and she made a 'please just this time' face and he gave her a look in response.

"Alpha, dare or shot?" The woman asked Axel.

Axel didn't say anything for a moment before saying "Dare."

"Okay...get up on the stage and kiss Luna after having everyone's attention." The woman said and I went red all over.

Axel had a poker face, we were digesting that when Stark came to us, almost drunk to die.

"I'll join too." He said and gave me a creepy smile, I moved close to Axel who surprisingly wrapped his arm around my waist and pulled me close.

"Why would I kiss my mate in front of people? are we trying to prove something here?" Axel said to that girl who went a little wide-eyed and shook her head.

"I think I'll have the shot." He said and grabbed one, and chugged it.

Another man came and greeted us both, Axel started talking to him leaving the game in the middle, Malena and I continued, they asked me to choose something and I chose dare, the girl's name was Bella, she dared me to take a spoon full of hot sauce and I did it.

The bartender gave me some milk to calm down the burning as it was a lot.

I tried to ignore Stark but he was not having it, he came and stood next to me, I swear to Goddess I almost shrieked when he discreetly touched my ass, I looked behind at him to say something as I quickly moved away, but before I could do that I saw Axel snatching him away from the gathering for the game and throwing him on to the poker table.

He then threw a punch at him and Stark shouted out in pain, everyone had stopped partying and was looking at what was happening, they were scared for Stark judging by their looks, cause they didn't know what he did to offend the Alpha and what will happen to him.

No one stopped Axel, Malena, and I went at the same time.

Axel kept beating the shit out of him.

"Axel!" I shouted as I went and tried to grab his arm, but I failed.

"Alpha!" Malena said and tried to move Stark away from Axel.

"Alpha what did he do?!" Malena asked and moved Stark away but Axel grabbed his collar and threw him on top of another table that broke, I went and grabbed his arm.

"Axel please, what are you doing stop." I plead to him and he looked at me for a second, I got goosebumps out of fear, this man knows how to scare someone with his looks.

"You!!" Axel speed-walked towards Stark who was still laying on the broken table," "You will pay for this motherfucker! don't you dare try that with my mate again!! look at her and I'll tear your eyes out, Coburn!" Axel threatened him and all the eyes turned to me when they heard it was about me.

"Come," Axel said to me as he grabbed my hand and walked me out of the manor.

I didn't know what to do, I was confused.

"Axel, I'm sorry I made a scene and ruined your night." I apologized.

He stopped walking and looked at me.

"You did not do anything, it was him, and it wasn't my night it was yours." He said and started walking again.

Our car arrived and we got in it, the ride started and no one said anything until I spoke.

"I'm still sorry."

"Why?" He asked, not looking at me but out of the window.

"You told me to stay away from Stark and I tried my best but first he tortured me alone and then in front of people." It slipped out of my mouth and that made him look at me.

"What? what did he do to you alone?" He asked.

"He...he touched me, grabbed my thigh," I said, looking at my hands in my lap.

I heard Axel breathe out like he was controlling himself from doing something.

"Where was I?" He asked.

"You were gone with a man when we were at the booth for the first time," I said nervously, not knowing what he'll do further.

"You didn't tell me about it when we were in that room." He stated.

"I...I thought you'll think I'm lying and will not be able to do anything cause he is your strong ally." I said.

"Stop assuming things and start doing things from now on, from this very moment I want to know anything that you experience throughout the day Brakhella, and I won't be like this every time." He said and I froze with fear.

He nodded to himself and closed his eyes for a moment before opening them again.

"I'm sorry you had to go through that, you didn't do anything wrong don't be ashamed of it." He said.

By this time a tear had left my eye.

I looked down on my lap and could see Axel looking at me, his hand twitched as if he was trying to do something but he couldn't so he finally looked away.

We were halfway there when at the side of the road at this time of night I spotted a little white puppy looking at cars pass by him, he was so cute and so fluffy, I think he was homeless.

He somehow reminded me of snugglebug, and alive snugglebug would be so great! I thought to myself.

As I was watching him a cat came and attacked the puppy, I got up and Axel looked at me.

"What?" He asked.

"Stop the car right now," I said, about to start crying if he wouldn't.

"Why what happened?" He asked sounding full of concern.

"Just make it stop!" I shouted and he called the driver and the car stopped, I ran out of it and to the puppy.

"Poor thing," I said as shooed the cat and grabbed him.

He was crying with pain, Axel was behind me now.

"What happened?" He asked, he didn't have his coat on anymore.

"A cat was hurting him, he's hurt, he's bleeding," I said, showing Axel the paw of the puppy.

Axel gave me a deadpan look before grabbing my arm and dragging me to the car.

"Wait, can I take him home?" I asked before getting into the car.

"Why don't you assume my answer this time?" He said with a sarcastic smile which faded after a second.

"I was serious at that time Axel and I still am, no need to tease me about it, you could've laughed at me for all I know, you don't know me and I'm not important for you, so, me assuming that you'll shout at me rather than your ally was fair." I don't know what came over me but I said that to Alpha freaking Desmond's face.

And before he could say anything, I got inside the car.

The puppy cried in a low voice, he must be in pain.

Axel came inside after a minute.

"You were right...and I'm not like that, I respect women, also...you are important to...the pack and the people being their Luna." He said and I looked at him, gave him a look that said, 'You are the same as other men'.

Important to the pack.

Important to the pack?! Are you kidding me right now, he could have said 'Me' because I said I'm not important to 'Him' but no Moody Maddy won't come to the point, it's not like I asked him to say I love you to me, at least he could've said I'm important to him, after all, I'm his fucking mate, that's the only reason one should be important for the other.

"What?" He asked about the look.

"Nothing, you're right." I sighed loudly, on purpose.

The puppy rested on my lap as I brushed my fingers softly through his fur.

"You'll be alright I promise," I told him as we drove home.

When we finally reached our place I took the puppy to the clinic in the mansion, the doctor said he was fine just a little bruise, and he was also hungry that is why he was crying.

Axel had gone to his room a long time ago.

The time of dinner came and we met at the dining table, it's always Axel, Logan, and I.

I had the puppy by my side as I fed him.

"Luna where did you get him from?" Logan asked.

"A cat was attacking him by the road, she bruised his paw but he'll be fine," I said.

"Oh, that's bad, did you take him to the doctor?" He asked.

"I did, she said he's very hungry that's why he's been crying," I said that and couldn't help my tears.

Logan got up and offered me the tissue box.

Wanda was standing behind me the whole time, she has to every day at the time of meals, because she is my helper.

She grabbed my shoulders and tried to console me.

"You have such a kind heart, Luna," Logan said and Axel looked at him with a deadly expression.

"I meant, that if she cares for an animal this much, how good must be her heart, right Wanda?" Logan said.

"Yes of course Beta Lodge," Wanda said.

I looked at the now; normal puppy, I'll name him snugglebug too.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.7M 73.2K 49
Book 1 On a werewolfs sixteenth birthday, they finally are granted the senses to seek out their mate. Alyssa and Amy have been friends all their life...
5.7K 277 23
Arabella Rose, 22, is a rogue panther shifter, the last of her kind. Hunters have killed off her family (that she knows of) leaving her to be a rogue...
687K 21.4K 55
"Go ahead, kill me," she dared. "And why would I do that?" he stalked closer, a glint in his dark eyes. "Why not? Isn't that what you came here for?"...
817 78 5
Vivian was to become the Alpha female of a powerful pack due to an arranged mating set up by the elders when she was just three years old. The Alpha...