And Then There Was One (2019)

By EvelynaKitty

21 ice hockey players for the NHL, AHL and ECHL are either kidnapped by force or tricked into coming to the m... More

The Invitation
Chapter 1 - Kasperi Kapanen and William Nylander
Chapter 2 - Colby McAuley and Tayler Thompson
Chapter 3 - Mitch Hults
Chapter 4 - Taylor Raddysh, Boris Katchouk, Alex Barre-Boulet & Ross Colton
Chapter 5 - Ben Thomas
Chapter 6 - Brayden Point and Brettulet Howden
Chapter 7 - Otto Somppi
Chapter 8 - Jonathan Drouin
Chapter 9 - Vladdy Namestnikov and Yanni Gourde
Chapter 10 - Brendan Gallagher
Chapter 11 - Roope Hintz
Chapter 12 - Jonne Tammela and Timo Meier
Chapter 13 - Ville Meskanen
Chapter 14 - Masquerade Island
Chapter 15 - This Isn't A Normal Amusement Park...
Chapter 16 - Murder #1
Chapter 17 - Murder #2
Chapter 18 - Murder #3
Chapter 19 - Murder #4
Chapter 20 - Murder #5
Chapter 21 - Murder #6
Chapter 22 - Murder #7
Chapter 24 - Murder #9
Chapter 25 - Murder #10
Chapter 26 - Murder #11
Chapter 27 - Murder #12
Chapter 28 - Murder #13
Chapter 29 - Murder #14
Chapter 30 - The Final Showdown (Murder #15)
Epilogue - And Then There Was One...

Chapter 23 - Murder #8

4 0 0
By EvelynaKitty

Orlando, Florida

July 2, 2019

Roughly 11:00pm EST

Roope and Jonne stare at one another and the piece of paper in their hands, speechlessly. Ville, Brendan, Roope, Jonne, Timo, TT, Colby, Boris, Alex and Ross stand together, still trying to figure out what happened.

Brendan blinks. "Does anyone remember the poem?"

"No," Timo remarks. "We've deduced that no one here read the thing, Gally!"

Roope re-reads the line from the poem: "Thirteen professional hockey players were struggling to survive,

One was shot, while one was tied to the tracks of Seven Heaven and then there were eleven."

"Makes sense that you idiots wouldn't remember the poem. I do, though," Jo's sly voice comes as he walks out of the castle and heads down the pathway toward them. He stops on the angled walkway and puts his hands on his hips.

"Drouin!" Brendan hisses. "Where've you been?"

"Killing Vladdy and Yanni!" Ville snaps. He walks through the middle of Boris and Alex and storms up the incline to Jo. He roughly shoves the Hab player backward. "Am I right or am I right?"

"You're wrong! I wasn't around here! I was on my way to the entrance gate, when I heard screaming and roaring and other noises. I came back to check on you all, cause believe it or not, part of me does have a heart and cares."

"Sure," Ville growls at him. "I think you told us you were, hid out in the castle and waited for the right moment to strike!"

Jo frowns and glares at Ville. "You're so blinded by the facts that I hate Vladdy so much. I have nothing against Gourde, however, why would I kill him?"

Ville narrows his eyes at Jo, not letting up in his conclusion. "Because he is Vladdy's protector tiger! He was in the way."

Colby stalks up the path, free of TT's grasp. "You're in MY way." The little tiger cub flashes his claws at Jo.

"You all want me to PROVE it to you that it wasn't me?!" Jo snaps. "I'll wander into the damn zoo with y'all, since I know that's where y'all were heading AND I'll tell you the next line of the poem that I know!" He begins to walk toward the vine-draped entrance to the zoo area. "Fair enough?"

"Well, I guess so, there's eleven of us remaining right? Doing the math," Ross states, counting the remaining players: Ville, Brendan, Roope, Jonne, Timo, TT, Colby, Boris, Alex, Jo and himself.

Jo ducks under the vines, with the others following after him.

Ville folds his arms and glares in the direction of where Jo had vanished. "I'm not going in there with him!"

"Fine, someone can stay out here with you. Just in case. I'm not saying that we don't trust you and that I think you might be the killer, but I'm not saying that you aren't either. Maybe you and Vladdy had a fight and it led you to killing him...who knows," Brendan says with a shrug of his shoulders. "It'd just make me feel better if someone stayed with you out here, not leaving you alone."

"That's fair enough."

"I'll stay with him," Jonne volunteers. "Finn-to-Finn connection."

"Works for me," Brendan chuckles dryly and then turns and enters the zoo area of the amusement park once more with the others.

Ville and Jonne turn and look at each other. They exchange a short Finnish conversation with one another and watch as he and all the others disappear once more back into the zoo attraction.

Inside the zoo part, Jo is storming over to the lion's cage area. It is on one side of the Big Cat X-ing area, across from the Safari Zone. It is a large infrastructure habitat, a metal wiring enclosing the grassy area and there is a rock formation that resembles Pride Rock from The Lion King.

A lion is lounging underneath the rock, having rolled over on his back. It looks asleep and out of it. Well, except for its tail that appears to have a mind of its own, thwacking on the smooth, cold concrete ground of the rock formation's bottom. It is definitely unaware and unphased by the visiting hockey players.

Jo walks up and finds a secret entrance to the side. A small wooden fence separating the lion enclosure from the cheetah one. On the wooden door, it says "Employees Only." Not that Jo seems to give two shits about it.

He ignores the sign and vanishes behind the door.

A few minutes later, he reappears in the enclosure, walking straight for the lion and the rock formation.

A few people (and tigers) are already standing in front of the enclosure with mortified and concerned expressions on their face, including Ross, Colby, TT and Timo. They look back as the rest with Brendan come to join them.

"DROUIN!" Brendan shouts out and races up to the railing that is used to block off tourists. It also has nameplates for TWO lions. He grabs the railing and leans over, not worrying about the distances or safety concerns.

Jo halts in place. Then he lifts one hand with his middle finger extended and jumps from one side, over a smaller part of a model chasm.

"Don't bother coming in here and stopping me. Don't bother talking me out of this. I'm in the lion's den now, so to say. I didn't kill Vladdy or Yanni or any of the others! Not Nyla, not Kappy, not Ben Thomas or Taylor Raddysh."

"The next line of the poem! What is it?" Roope demands, running a hand through his long, flowing wavy blond hair.

Jo stands on the edge of the grassy ledge that leads down into a ravine, where a pool area is located. "Right, uh...eleven professional hockey players could withstand the gore--"He looks across right at Brendan and the others as they gather, their faces full of concern and shock.

Well, except for one of them, who waves at him with a knowing smirk and winks.

Jo gasps, cutting himself off. Then he prepares to tell them the rest of the next line of the poem, before a loud roar sounds. It's chilling and eerie to hear and it echoes around the enclosure and area where they are all standing.

In the next moment, a snarling golden lion bolts out from the side. It takes Jo by surprise, mauling him over and sending him crashing to the grassy ground. The onlookers outside of the cage, all flinch in place, watching in horror as blood splatters everywhere. The crimson stains the grass and the sharp ravine rocks. As well as the shrill, horrifying screams from Jonathan Drouin that puncture their ears.

Then there is a bone-chilling silence.

Brendan slowly peels himself away, stepping backward and all the others follow. Ross blinks and produces a crumpled up piece of paper in his hand. He shakingly holds it out and drops it into Brendan's hand.

"I-I think this...I think this is the next line," Ross stammers out.

Brendan gulps, anxiously and nervously, as he takes the paper and unravels it with his own clammy fingers.

Brendan clears his throat and reads aloud:

"Eleven professional hockey players could withstand the gore,

One wandered into the lion's den and then there were ten."

Brendan looks up at the others. "Another victim."

"No, really?! I can see that, Captain Obvious," Colby snarls, unleashing his claws. "I might be small, but I could still see and hear what happened."

There is a pause and more creepy silence that follows.

Then everyone turns and looks back toward the exit, where Ville and Jonne are outside waiting...supposedly.

"You don't think...?" Ross questions, his mortified voice low and trailing off. 

****

Many apologies for leaving this story hanging, life happened. But now I am planning to finish it off, so that everyone may know who the killer is! 

Did anyone guess the shift, psycho-obsessed Jonathan Drouin as the potential killer in the end? If so, sorry, he isn't the killer either... :)

Time to make another guess (and feel free to comment guesses below) as we will soon move onto the next murder here!! 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Steel By Beth

Mystery / Thriller

258 21 13
Jack the Ripper has moved from London to Pittsburgh. A serial killer of unknown identity emerges in the Burgh in the summer of 2020. They go on a ram...
226 1 17
In the Kodak Theatre of Hollywood, an award-winning director vanishes from stage following a temporary power outage. Hours later, he is found in a cl...
3.5K 83 16
It appears that many have been trapped inside an unforgivable house. Will they make It out alive, or will the evil team being an end to them?
239 16 2
Word Count est. 20k ~ 16 objects wake up on an unknown island, forced to participate in a death game at the hands of some unseen antagonist. A meeple...