ᴅᴇᴇᴘᴇʀ

By sawvvy

❝She was like a perfect paradise, tearing at its seam.❞ To everyone, Chimdi Gentry lived the perfect life wit... More

Preface
Character Aesthetics
Prologue
Interlude
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
Interlude
33
34
35
36
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
Interlude
53
54
55
Interlude
Epilogue
Sufface

37

507 244 17
By sawvvy

Distance
between us
is not like a store...

__

TJ workedout through Friday morning at the school's gym.

He puffed out short breaths, sweat dewing  his body, as he took a third lap on the treadmill. The workout helped him to vent off his frustration.

All the while, thinking of what was wrong with him, before switching to thinking about Chimdi.

She'd flipped her feelings like a switch with him, turning from warm to hot and now, she'd gone to dead cold. With the pace she was going, he couldn't keep up with her.

With sweat trickling satisfactorily down his tanned skin. He topped the mile, subjecting his legs to another punishment that was undeserving.

But he had to think of a way to speed things up. She hadn't returned any of the numerous texts and calls he'd sent her. And she'd read them, and not hearing from her had his insecurities coming up.

Frustrated, he used a gym towel to dry off the perspiration trickling down his neck. The workout tortured his legs and nothing more.

It didn't give him the answers he sought. His seventeen years of existence didn't give him the chance to sweat over a female rather, they did fawn over him.

He couldn't remember the last time he'd been unarmed and totally clueless over a female.

He thought of Ruby, the chase had only lasted for a week. He'd first seen her at a party he'd gone to with Milo. She'd reciprocated the interest he'd shown. No complications, no unanswered texts. They'd hooked up once, twice... Thus their story began.

Reducing the miles, he circled back his thoughts, chastising himself for comparing Chimdi to Ruby. They were both females, yes. But one was a female and more. While Ruby was as flashy and sort out as a rose, Chimdi like a cactus, was strong and ever independent and he couldn't forget, beautiful.

Her eyes, feisty, shy and bold were it's reflection. Everything about her appealed him, from her strength to the shyness she tried to hide from him.

But goddamnit, he had to know. He had to know if she felt the way he did.

If she does, she won't be ignoring you.

She does, she's just fighting it!

He answered with conviction.

She had to feel something of what he felt. The instant bond they formed, the connection that seemed right.

He needed to change direction, he thought, as the treadmill abridged it's speed.

He'll have to call her, he thought, stepping off the exercise machine. Hunt her down if he had to and clear things up.

"You done beating up your body?" Jiki's voice sliced through his thoughts. His shirtless body laid out like a fair feast on a yoga mat.

Elo had ditched them for the ICT laboratory and Jiki had left him to fend for his nerve aching thoughts.

He glanced at the fairer boy, laying face up on the yoga mat with eyes shut close, one would thing he was having a snooze.

"Get your shit together will you. I need to have contact with my bed ASAP," Jiki said with eyes still shut.

TJ wiped perspiration off his face and neck. The exercise had him craving anything edible and a cold bath.

He had three things to do once he got back to the hostel. Gobble down a whole meal, have a good cold bath and confront the confrontable.

__

TJ's mind was as clear as glass as he layed on his bed, with focus keen on his laptop.

He'd had a cold bath to get his mind to rest, had a befitting breakfast to fill the void in his belly.

Now there was one more thing left to be done. He decided to take things a step at a time, so he indulged himself in other things, like things that involved her.

"You sure this address can be traced?" He asked Jiki who had his eyes glued to his cellphone.

Jiki turned to him. "Jumia right?"

TJ nodded.

"Jumia has delivered a lot of stuff to me here." He resumed what he was doing. "Just get the address spelt right."

TJ relieved for the umpteenth time, exited the site. He just had to wait till things worked out.

"What did you buy?" Elo asked. He was working on his laptop.

"Stuff."

Elo turned to face him, raising an inquiring brow. "Does this stuff have a name?"

"Sure," TJ stood from his bed, heading for his cupboard. "Don't stress yourself. I'm not telling you shit."

He took few snacks and walked back to his bed.

"Asshole!" Elo cussed, a pout marring his face. "Hanging out with Jiki has turned you into a first class dick."

An empty pen landed on the darker boy's head.

"The fuck with you!" Elo glared at the fairer boy who paid him no heed, acting like he didn't aim a thing at his roommate.

"I'm living up to my nickname." Jiki said with a shrug, causing TJ to snicker.

The darker boy's scowl deepened.

"Asshole."

"Je gidan wuta."

"Nah bro, that's your home not mine."

Jiki flipped him the bird, eyes still on his cellphone.

TJ ignored them, checking the last message he'd sent to Chimdi.

Hey

He'd sent. Hoping to start a fresh conversation.

But to his disappointment, the skinny girl hadn't read it. She wasn't even active at the moment.

Sighing out in frustration, he dropped his cellphone, reaching for his laptop to play a few games.

"I'm done for the day." Jiki announced setting his foot down.

TJ threw him a snack.

Nene had asked them for a favour, more like ordered them. But they complied, anything to help Chimdi.

He didn't know much about the said award, but from what they'd related to him, he knew it meant a lot. Though he'd felt at alert after hearing about the Ella girl.

He knew her fans were surely going to pose as real threats to her. That was why Nene decided to hand out giveaways to their Instagram followers and faithful fans in Chimdi's honor.

Since he was no celebrity and the close to three thousand followers in his inactive account not useful at the moment, he took to sulking. He couldn't even help her as much as his friends.

Elo cracked his knuckles, stretching his neck. "How did you do it?" He asked Jiki.

"Just picked a random name," the fairer boy said, tearing open his snacks.

"Isn't that a little bit unfair. What about the first commenters?"

The fairer boy just shrugged. "Your choice, whoever gets lucky."

"I'm kinda feeling guilty," Elo said rubbing his neck, before glaring at TJ. "You know you're totally useless right here?"

TJ pouted. "I don't have enough followers."

"So? you should join me. How about you choose a winner for me. I can't believe I'm going to do this for the next seven days."

Jiki glared at the darker boy. "Guilt-tripping him won't help you out. Get your lazy ass working."

"I'm working alright. I'm just whining in advance."

Sighing, Jiki laid down on his bed. "You should be grateful it's only for the next seven days."

TJ thought about it for a while, he could help out in a way. Though not through his inactive account.

An idea struck him. "How many more days are left?"

The darker boy sprang up. "Three more days. You thinking of a way to coerce Nens into adding the left three days. Don't even dare!"

TJ rolled his eyes at him, reaching for his cell phone. Footing for the the remaining bills wouldn't be that bad an idea.

The song ended, changing to a fast paced, rhythmless tune that had TJ and Jiki cussing.

"Do us a favor and play something worth listening to." Jiki grumbled.

TJ gave him a curt salute. "Well said. Can't tell if the artist's murmuring or singing."

The shorter boy glared at them.

"He is singing, you idiot." Elo stood from his bed, reaching for his cellphone. "This is actually different from his other songs. Y'all gotta be grateful it's a lil bit slow."

They stared at him, as if to say; are you crazy?

"What?" The darker boy defended, skimming through his playlist. "He didn't even say gwombe. Shey you like fighting for the helpless folks Jiki? You should add As e dey go to your playlist."

He settled for the latest hit song, that got the boys in the mood as they nodded their heads in appreciation to Davido's FEM.

"I don't see my playlist housing any of Naira Marley's songs. Even if his song hits the billboard." Jiki nodded his head to the beat purring from Elo's sound system.

Elo snorted. "Naira Marley's a trend himself. He doesn't need an addition to his quadrupling fans."

"Yeah whatever. He can have a gazillion thug followers."

"I'm still wondering what you have against him." Elo sat up. "I mean the guy is so peculiar that his voice is recognized anywhere."

"So is Drake, Burnaboy, Davido... a whole lot of them. That hoodchick Tems, Phyno, Falz, Dababy..."

"Man, I downloaded Dababy's new album last night," TJ interrupted. "Have y'all been in a situation where you be looking for a fave out of an album but, you're dead helpless?"

"What's so special about him? He's just a rapper like the rest of them. He just didn't braid and dye his hair." Elo countered.

TJ shook his head. "Nah bro. He's not just a rapper. Drake himself said it. That dude's a lot more."

"Yeah, cos Drake said so," Elo grumbled. "I see nothing unique about his rap."

Jiki waved him off. "He's still better than your thug marlian king."

The shorter boy glared at him. "He's not a thug. That dude's got a degree in business law."

The fairer boy shrugged. "His problem."

Defeated, Elo jammed his palms to his ear. "Yeah yeah. Whatever!"

They cracked up at his expense, TJ threw him a chocolate bar.

"That'd help ease the embarrassment and maybe reduce the colossal blindness."

Elo glared at him. "Man fuck you!"

"Yeah, yeah, whatever. If I'd make you feel any better."

A ghost of a smile appeared on Jiki's lips, tugging to be let loose.

"Assholes." The darker boy muttered, same time consuming the chocolate goodness.

His cellphone rang, disturbing the peace that once occupied their room. Groaning, he checked the screen before declining it. It rang out again, causing him to hiss out in frustration.

Jiki gestured to the sound emitting device. "Who's that?"

Elo sighed, fingers massaging his neck. "Aisha, she's been chatting me up for quite a while."

Whistling, TJ turned to face him. "Damn man! You're playing with fire and brimstone."

The darker boy let out another sigh. "As if I don't know."

"What does she want?"

"One night stand at the school's old library. It won't be more than that." Jiki added with a shrug.

Elo glared at him. "Don't make assumptions," he defended, declining the call when his phone rang again. "She's not that bad."

The fairer boy cocked a brow. "Interesting. If she isn't that bad, why do you keep declining her calls ?"

"I just don't want to give her any ideas and," his wiggled his brows. "I'm taken."

Jiki snorted. "You know she's up to something and you're scared of Nene."

"The latter is absolutely correct." Elo shuddered in mock dread. "She's scary atimes. Last time she didn't speak to me for a full week after the Aisha incident, that was after she threatened to have me castrated."

The guys howled out, their laughter causing Elo to scowl.

"You know it isn't funny, you guys."

Jiki gulped, face beetroot. "Damn right it is. I'd like to see her in action though."

Elo gave him the middle finger.

TJ hummed. "We never really got the full story. What really set her off that bad?"

"Just a normal accident that she misinterpreted." The darker boy said.

"I doubt it was just a normal accident." Jiki leaned back comfortably against the screeded wall. "I'd say it was perfectly planned--"

"By who?" The darker boy interrupted.

The fairer boy shrugged. "Her of course."

"You don't know what really happened." Elo continued, unusually calm. "I was just out waiting for Nens so we could go meet TJ and Chimdi at the botanical gardens. Then there she was, guess she was coming from the library. Her arms were occupied with books. Couldn't just stand and stare, I helped her carry a few and just as we were about to enter the class, someone breezed past, knocking Aisha and I against each other and Nene was on her way out... You know what happened next." He turned to face Jiki. "Tell me, does that look like a deliberate act to you?"

"Of course." The fairer boy still stuck to his words. "With Aisha Lawal, anything is possible. No offense to the female folks, she's totally shameless."

TJ and Elo exchanged glances. "You sound like you've had your own share of the infamous Aisha encounter." TJ teased.

While the fairer boy sighed, a frown marring his face. "It's not something I should gloat of, but yes, she'd tried to get me schemed up. You know, I tried to believe at some point that it was just a rumour -- a silly whore reputation and stuff for popularity, but she crossed all limits when she wanted to try that shit on me."

"Wow, I'm..." Elo trailed off helplessly, "I actually thought it was a rumour too. Her chats aren't in anyway suggestive, just funny memes and stickers. She's cool though."

"That might be her usual tactics," TJ shrugged, before he got to his feet, picking up the packet of snacks he'd dropped on the floor. "But whatever you do, apply caution. Nens won't hesitate to hand you your balls and you know it."

Elo wanted to say something, but then his phone rang. He was about to decline it, thinking it was from Aisha before he checked the caller ID.

Swearing out loud, he received it.

"Hey babe," he sang out, leaving his roommates to mirror confused looks. "Fuck! I totally forgot!!" He scrammed off his bed, reaching for the cloth rack. "I'll be on my- Perfect! she hung up on me."

"Is that Nene?" TJ asked, returning to his bed.

"Of course," the darker boy replied hurriedly. "Her patience is thinner than a pin hole jeez!"

In few seconds, he was dressed up. Haphazardly straightening the Transformer themed bedsheet on his bed.

He faced them. "You guys, I totally forgot we had something planned for today." They started laughing at him.

He glared at TJ. "It'd be your turn soon. You don't know what Dee is capable of. She's like an angry kitten when riled up, all claws and teeth."

He pocketed his cellphone and cash. "Y'all don't wait up on me. I'll be going to the pavilion with her." With that, he left the room.

While TJ felt a small smile grace his face. Him and Chimdi, the picture on his mind was so damn perfect that he couldn't stop the smile on his face from blossoming into a happy grin.

Jiki rolled his eyes. "Jeez you're hopeless."

The boy's grin widened. Shaking his head, Jiki stood from his bed, picking up his cellphone. "I'm off to get in my clothes." He headed for the door before turning to face TJ. "Should I get yours too?"

"Yeah."

After the fairer boy left, TJ continued tackling the latest level in mine craft .

Soon, a humming sound interrupted him, coming right from his laptop. Hissing out of frustration, he scolded himself for not switching it off. He reached for the laptop, about to cuss, before his eyes caught sight of his father's picture, all happy smiles and teeth.

His initial annoyance morphed into happiness. Happily, he clicked on the receive bar.

"Hey old man!" His greeted, heart filled with bliss when his father's face came on.

"30 years from now, you'll be begging to look this good." Tasie replied, his smile matching his son's.

"Yeah right," the younger boy's grin widening. "Cos you are schwarzenegger."

Tasie patted the black chase deer clinging to his fit body. "Nah baby, I'm goals."

"That's right Dad," TJ agreed, laughing heartily, eyes glimmering with good humor. "Kanye's got nothing on you."

"You got that right kiddo. So, how's my favorite son doing?"

TJ raised an amused. "Favorite?"

Groaning out in mock exasperation, Tasie pretended to sulk. "Yeah right. I forgot I'm stuck with you."

TJ grinned. "For life."

"It's been quite a while." The older man said, moving around.

"Dad, you called last week."

Tasie shrugged. "Still, it's not a crime to want my son here with me. Or is it?"

"You just missed me whooping your ass in Mario Cart."

"That and the weekend shopping." The older man replied, the cheeky smile on his face matching his son's.

"Still, you've got work keeping you busy. Speaking of work, how're you holding up?"

Rubbing his palm on his low fade cut, Tasie shrugged. "Same old routine. I'm off night shifts though. Prepping for New year's eve, the ER is gonna be stocked. I'm saving up my strength."

Speaking of New year's Eve, TJ's mood suddenly went from cheery to sulky. He'd never had any of the festivities without his Father. "Would it be weird this Xmas?" He asked his dad, whose thought mirrored his. "Celebrating Xmas and New year alone?"

"I'll try," the older man's smile turned soft. "Besides, you have Jide's kids. Poor kids, Jide exempted them from visiting his hometown with him cos of you. I feel bad."

TJ snorted, if only he knew. "They are more than ecstatic. Nobody wants to travel home, stop beating yourself up Dad."

"Yeah, alright. Have you heard from your granddad?"

TJ's mood turned sour. The last time he'd laid his eyes on the old man had been on his mother's funeral. Where he had slugged his Father, accusing him of murdering his mother. He'd never forget and neither did he want to have anything to do with him.

"Does he know I'm in Nigeria?" He asked, not liking the route the conversation was taking.

"The old man knows everything son," seeing his son's expression, Tasie quickly changed the topic. "But that's not why I called,"

TJ let out a sigh of relief, about to speak before his cellphone dinged to a text. He mouthed an excuse to his father before checking his cellphone.

Sunshine
Hi.

His face lit up like the morning sun, his heart warmed up at the two lettered response, causing his father to narrow his eyes at him.

"I gave you till next year, and you proved me wrong," his father's voice snapped him out of it.

"Huh?"

Tasie wiggled his brows. "So, when do I get to know her name?"

"Whose name?" He decided to play coy.

"The girl turning my son into a whipped cream."

TJ could feel his ears burning up.

"And don't you dare feed me crap. I see it, the lovestruck look on your face."

The younger boy almost groaned out frustration. "She doesn't even talk to me anymore." His father raised a brow, a teasing look on his face. "Except the text from few minutes ago. We're just in the middle Dad. She's unpredictable, you Know like a faulty heater, I can't decipher when she's gonna turn hot or cold. But I'm sure of one thing, she likes me," he whispered the last part. " At least, as a friend."

Tasie watched his son, totally amused. He could vividly remember the thrill that came with harboring feelings in a young heart -- it was exhilarating, overwhelming and if handled wrongly, had dire consequences.

But, as he looked at the soft expression on his son's face, he sighed out. "What do you want to do?"

TJ looked at him like he couldn't believe his ears. "Speak to her of course. I just don't know how, this is actually the only response I've gotten from her from the numerous texts I sent her."

The older man smiled, "A step at a time son. Good things don't get handed over on a gold platter. You work for it, then you know it is important."

"I've taken too many steps to go slow dad."

"Oh really. Eager and impatient are we?"

TJ grinned, feeling better now that he'd voiced out his frustration. "I'm losing my shit. She's been ignoring me Dad, and I don't even know where I went wrong."

His father raised a brow. "You sure?"

"Totally."

"We men tend to be clueless, most times. Your mother went crazy whenever I didn't know shit." Both men smiled, both thinking of good ol' days.

A faint sound of an alarm went off. Tasie groaned out, annoyed. He wanted to spend more time with his son, so bad. "I gotta run bud," Tasie said.

And immediately, TJ took to sulking. "Get the look off your face and go get your girl. Remember, a step at a time son. Not too snail paced, not fast paced either. Just do what's right."

TJ nodded, missing him already. He wished they had enough time to talk. But knew his father was a busy man. He had patience to attend to, lives to save and he couldn't keep him.

"Later dad."

Tasie smiled. "Be safe."

The line went dead as TJ decided to face Chimdi's text, obviously ecstatic.

"Your dad's cool." Jiki's voice startled him as he logged out.

"What the fuck man, when did you get in?" He gasped, turning to face his roommate who sat on his bed, silently munching on Oreos.

"About few minutes ago."

"Jesus! don't ever sneak up on me. Ever."

The fairer boy rolled his eyes. "I'm on my bed, not on yours."

"You know what I mean! By the way, you should have come say hi."

The fairer boy shook his no. "I'm good. Go ahead and reply her. I'm sure you're not interested in this conversation."

Giving the fairer boy the middle finger, he picked up his cellphone.

A step at a time.

And so he typed his reply.

__

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

26K 10.3K 62
COMPLETED!! ONYX VOYAGE SERIES: BOOK TWO ••••• ꧁RUNWAYS AND DECEPTION ꧂ Meet Irene...
8M 341K 52
"I hope you realize you made the worst f**king decision of your life." She could feel his cold icy blue eyes piercing through her soul. "I didn't as...
855K 48.6K 51
"The reason we can't let go of someone is because deep inside, we still have hope." Then, let go. That so-called hope, it's destroying you. "It was...
44K 12K 75
The choices teenagers make... Some choose to smoke Some choose to steal Some choose to be bullies to defend themselves Some end up getting pregnant...