Not Her

By dieFabuliererin

Ahsoka takes the shot that Hardeen fires instead of Obi-Wan. More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 23

Chapter 22

1.8K 89 115
By dieFabuliererin

Ahsoka moves through the crowd of unsettled civilians, catching snippets of shock and confusion.

"They found the King lying in the gutter!"

"He was as cold as stone."

"Who killed him?"

"He probably heard about the rebels' recent victories and decided to end everything before the Republic can arrest him."

Ahsoka smirks- their plan has worked. The news has spread like wildfire.

Manipulating Rash was easier than she thought, and after a few drinks, he was completely willing to swallow the vital suppressor that Ahsoka gave him in the bar. He was too kriff-faced to notice that Steela and Ahsoka were tossing their drinks away whilst he got drunker and drunker.

"I don't know why we couldn't have just actually killed him," Steela whispers as they look over Rash's sleeping body inside the base.

"Because killing a monarch is not something that rebels want to be responsible for, no matter how corrupt the government is." Ahsoka explains, "Rash can pay for his crimes in front of a Republic court- not through death."

She looks up at Rex, "Let's cuff him in case he wakes up."

The Captain hesitates, "Seducing, intoxicating and feeding a vital suppressor to the King of Onderon has to be one of your more reckless ideas, Commander."

"Maybe, but if the Separatists want to play dirty, then we have to too." She glances over her Captain's shoulder, "What did you report, Saw?"

"Everyone in Iziz has heard about King Rash's death." Saw announces, glaring at Rash's sleeping form, "If we don't strike now, Dooku will flee."

"Then it's time." Steela turns to Ahsoka, "Are you sure you want to do this in your current state?"

"I can fight Dooku." Ahsoka says, annoyed there's so much doubt in her. She pauses, looking around the cluster of rebels, "Should something go drastically wrong, Rex will get you all off Onderon, including King Dendup. The Republic will grant you amnesty, and they'll send aid."

"Why would they send aid when they haven't done anything to help us so far?" Saw questions.

"Because" Rex's tone is brittle, "the Jedi Council and GAR won't let it pass if Dooku kills a Jedi Commander on Onderon soil."

Ahsoka nods.

"On that note, good luck." Steela says, smacking her bruised shoulder.

Ahsoka winces inwardly. Her left arm is completely paralysed, but the rebels don't need to know that.

Lux grabs her functioning arm as she tries to leave, lowering his voice, "Do you expect to walk away from this, Ahsoka?"

She hopes her smile doesn't look forced, "I'll be fine, Lux."

The droids part for the Padawan as she walks inside the palace. It's intimidating, knowing she's about to fight a Sith Lord who took her Master's arm off. Ahsoka's not exactly in the best state to fight, but they don't have another choice.

She comes to a stop in the throne room, seeing Dooku has taken up residency on the throne.

"Padawan Tano, welcome to the palace." He says with a smirk. "I'm sure you've heard about King Rash's dreadful accident."

"It's a real shame." Ahsoka says, keeping her voice level and calm. If Dooku knows she's scared, he'll prey on that.

"I have no doubt the rebels were involved in the homicide."

"We were not responsible for the King's death." She replies evenly, "Although, now the ruler of Onderon is dead, the position of leadership falls to the Senator until a new heir is crowned."

Dooku stares at her for a few seconds before chuckling, "And who is the Senator of Onderon?"

"Lux Bonteri."

The Sith Lord stands from the throne and walks down the steps, making Ahsoka tense. Her hand twitches beside her lightsaber.

"And why is Mr Bonteri not here right now, Lady Tano?" He says, stopping a short distance away from them.

Because she doesn't want Lux in the same room as this Sith Lord who was responsible for his mother's death.

Behind them, Ahsoka hears blaster fire ring out- the distinguishable blasts of Rex's DC-17s and Steela's rifle.

"Lux is otherwise occupied." She says coolly.

"I see." Dooku raises a brow, "Your rebel friends are making quick work of my droids whilst we stall our inevitable battle, I assume."

"I would've been stupid to have come alone." Ahsoka says, not liking the way Dooku is standing so still, he's calculating something.

"Then it appears I am surrounded." Dooku taps his fingertips together, "What to do now?"

She's over this.

Ahsoka activates her lightsaber, getting into a threatening stance. "I'll give you two options, Count: leave Onderon, or die."

"I think it'll break Skywalker and Kenobi for their Padawan to return to Coruscant in a body bag." Dooku mirrors her stance with his own ignited lightsaber.

Ahsoka grits her teeth, "You're cocky."

He scoffs, "Don't forget, young one. I killed you on Naboo."

Her commlink crackles with Rex's panicked tone, "Ahsoka, two commandos took Lux! He handed himself over to them!"

Dooku grins, "The Senator can't rule Onderon if he's dead."

A fire ignites in her heart, and Ahsoka leaps towards the Sith, lightsaber raised.

If Rex is smart- which he is- then he'll get the rest of the rebels out of the palace and let her rescue Lux.

Initially, Steela and Saw wanted to join her fight against Dooku. Ahsoka weighed the risks, and knew she had the be the one to take the Sith on.

If the Separatist occupation on Onderon ends, who will the people look up to if all the rebels are dead?

Their blades are like fire and ice- two extremes working to eliminate each other. Whenever one takes the upper hand, there's a sizzling sound as the sweat rolls off their forehead to evaporate against the blade. Every minute or so, Ahsoka has to wipe the moisture off her forehead before it can drip in her eyes.

You can't afford distractions in a fight, Anakin's voice echoes in her head.

Beyond their grunts and the swooshes of super-heated plasma cutting through the air, their fight is silent. With both fighters constantly thinking about their next move, there's no time for exchanging petty insults.

Don't bark if you can't bite, Fives once said to her during a spar. It doesn't look good to throw an insult at your opponent and then get a tooth knocked out.

She may have learnt how to cope with Skipper, but the paralysed arm is a huge hinderance, and she's also tiring quicker than normal. On Naboo, she and Anakin trained all day long, but fighting Dooku is both mentally and physically exhausting.

When she shoves Dooku across the throne room with a powerful throw, Ahsoka catches her breath instead of instantly pouncing on him.

He may be old, but Dooku is unpredictable.

"My Lord."

Both of them spin to the entrance where two commando droids enter, dragging a bruised and bloody Lux Bonteri between them.

Ahsoka feels her heart skip a beat.

"I'm sorry, Ahsoka..." Lux whispers, his head hanging low and blood dripping steadily off his chin, "I couldn't leave without... he killed her... my mother..."

"Mr Bonteri." Dooku stands, brushing off his robes, "How pleasant of you to join us."

Ahsoka lifts her lightsaber and points it at Dooku's throat, "Release him."

The Count chuckles- unfazed. He's so arrogant, it makes her angry.

Ahsoka's lifted off her feet, an invisible grip around her throat- impossibly tight. Her lightsaber drops to the ground with a clatter, the green blades flickering off.

Lux squirms in the commando guards' grip, "Please, don't hurt her!"

Dooku smirks, "I'll let her go as soon as you surrender."

Ahsoka can't get enough breath to form words, but she tries to scream, tries to get Lux thinking straight.

He can't surrender.

They've fought too hard for Onderon. Giving up now could cost the rebels everything- including their lives.

Lux has no idea what's at risk.

He swallows, both of his eyes bruised and one swollen shut, "Alright, Dooku."

"No-" she manages to shout, black spots clouding her vision.

"Good choice, Senator."

She's dropped to the ground like a rag doll, landing painfully on her knees with only one working arm to catch herself with. She slams her fist against her chest, begging for enough oxygen to be able to fight.

She staggers to her feet, clutching onto the throne and outstretching a hand to push Lux away-

"You were destined for the same fate as your mother, Mr Bonteri."

Before Ahsoka can step forwards, Dooku's lightsaber is ignited.

Lux's eyes widen as the red blade goes through his chest.

No!

Ahsoka lurches forwards, blasting a Force-push at Dooku to send him flying into the back wall of the throne room. Lux falls into her waiting arms. Her flesh knee hits the ground with a hard thump which she ignores.

"Ahsoka- Ahsoka!" Lux gasps, panicking.

"Hey, look at me," she urges softly, pulling him onto her lap, "It's alright, Lux, just breathe."

It's not alright.

He grabs her shoulder, nails digging into her flesh, "You've got to- you... please-"

"I'll make sure Onderon gets its freedom." She promises, purposefully not looking at the scorched hole in his chest. She has the same scar on her own skin- caused by the same lightsaber.

If only the Force could still talk to her like it used to. Since the Daughter revived her, the Force-user has practically gone silent.

"Lux," his frantic eyes snap to hers, and words fail her, "I..."

"Don't... Don't say it, Ah-Ahsoka," he begs, gasping for breath, "don't say it if you don't mean it."

"I'm sorry." Her voice cracks, "I'm sorry we never got the chance."

She shouldn't have been so caught up on her Jedi ideals. Maybe, if things were different, she and Lux could've been something more.

His shaking hand rests on her cheek, fingers wiping away the tears she doesn't know are falling. "You were the first girl I- argh-" he cries in pain. "The first girl I loved."

She can't say the l-word back, no matter how much she wants to.

"Tell Steela... please," Lux's body gets heavier, and with only one functioning arm, she struggles to hold him up. "Tell her that I..."

"I will." She promises as his eyes close.

A lightsaber hums above her head, swinging downwards.

This is all Dooku's fault.

He's the one who plotted to kidnap the Chancellor, forcing the Council to take action and hire Hardeen.

He killed Lux Bonteri- the one man who really wanted the best for this planet.

Dooku's a monster, and he needs to be stopped.

Ahsoka rolls backwards, abandoning Lux's body to ignite her lightsaber and defend herself from Dooku's first strike. She used to use two hands to hold off Anakin's attacks during sparring, and Dooku is stronger, so only having one arm is putting her at a serious disadvantage.

Thankfully, she's got a strong leg.

She kicks him backwards, discreetly leading the fight away from Lux so she can retrieve his body later. He deserves a funeral to be mourned out.

He deserved so much more than this, but Dooku killed him without a moment's hesitation. It was a merciless death.

Lux was unarmed. Rebel or not, he shouldn't have been killed. He's not Ahsoka or Anakin or Rex- he didn't deserve to die in battle.

Take your revenge, young one.

She halts momentarily. The voice is dark, looming. So familiar yet so foreign. It's not the light angelic voice which used to guide her.

Take your revenge, young one!

She feels so angry.

Kill him, young one!

The pressure on her skull is painful, and she lashes out against her better judgement, swinging for the Sith who took Lux away from her.

"You'll pay for what you did!" Ahsoka snarls, sweat beading on her forehead as she and Dooku clash blades again.

The Sith chuckles, "A cripple is going to seek revenge for her lover's death? Very Jedi-like, Padawan Tano."

You are no Jedi, young one.

She growls, swinging her lightsaber furiously.

Dooku flips backwards, outstretching a hand.

Before the blue bolts of electricity can engulf her, Ahsoka raises her lightsaber, blocking the Force-lightening.

She's not strong enough to hold his attack off, and the moment her blade lowers from the sheer weight of the lightening, Ahsoka feels it hit her.

Her back arches as electricity starts to course through her, straight from his fingertips. Her thoughts scramble as the Force-lightening engulfs her, spreading to every nerve- even the ones in her paralysed hand. It brings Ahsoka to her knees, unable to think or breathe.

After what feels like hours- but realistically only a few seconds- the pain stops.

Ahsoka collapses onto her hands and knees, dry heaving whilst her montrals ring. She doesn't know where her lightsaber is, but she can worry about that after she gets her breath back.

"You fight like Skywalker," Dooku says, watching her.

She spits onto the ground, the metallic taste in her mouth and blood on the floor a sign that she bit her tongue when she was shocked.

"Thanks for the compliment."

He chuckles, walking towards her with his lightsaber hovering near his side, "I dismembered Skywalker during the First Battle of Geonosis. I wonder how he would feel if I did the same to his Padawan."

She nearly rolls her eyes. He'd be doing her a favour by chopping off her paralysed arm.

Stand, young one, and feed off the darkness within you.

Despite her condition, Ahsoka manages to stand, favouring Skipper over her flesh leg because the prosthetic shakes less.

She lifts her lightsaber into an opening position, "I'll let you cut off my arm if you win, Dooku."

"Sounds fair." He mirrors her stance, "You forget that I'm part of your lineage, young one. You ought to respect your elders."

"Like you respected Master Yoda." She scoffs, waiting for him to make the first move.

He has a point. Fighting techniques are usually passed from Master to Padawan, and whilst Dooku is four generations her senior, he can probably predict her moves.

Time to be unpredictable.

Ahsoka changes her grip to Shein- her preferred hold before her arm was paralysed. It's slightly awkward with the duo-lightsaber, but it's also a rarity, which means Dooku will have more trouble keeping up.

The velocity of her swings increases, even though she's tiring faster and faster. Dooku forms a scowl as he has to defend himself against her vicious attacks.

She knocks him down with a kick, the Sith clutching his stomach as he drops to his knees. His lightsaber rolls away, tapping against the floor until it hits the wall.

Good work, young one. You are finally letting the darkness reveal your omnipotence.

She levels her blade at his throat, "You're beaten."

"Look at you." She presses her blad forwards when he dares to speak, the tip nearly touching his nose. "So obsessed with revenge you can't even feel the Darkside looming over you. What a sight to see such a prestigious Jedi falling so far."

"I am not falling." She emphasises, flipping her lightsaber so the second blade is now at the side of his neck, ready to end this once and for all.

He smirks, unfazed by how close he is to death, "You're shaking. I don't think you can kill me, young one."

"I can!"

She can.

All she has to do is tilt the blade to cut through the crucial arteries in his neck. It'll take less than a second and this blasted war will be over.

You can, young one, or you can join him?

Ahsoka glances at her fist clenching around her lightsaber hilt. Her veins are black- just like on Mortis when the Son was controlling her.

"Then why haven't you?"

She swallows, knees threatening to buckle. Her blood runs like ice, but it burns so bad. She's certain her irises are yellow.

She can kill Dooku and end this. She has to.

Do not fall to the darkness, young one.

Ahsoka's breath hitches.

I did not save you so you would fall to my Brother's temptations.

Her hand trembles as she lowers her lightsabers, the black lace across her skin retreating as she pushes the darkness away, expelling it into the Force.

Dooku raises an eyebrow in surprise. "You rejected the Darkside?"

"Leave Onderon, and never come back." She threatens lowly, ignoring his question. "I may not be so merciful next time."

///

Rex watches Ahsoka enter the rebel base.

He's glad she's alive and not sporting any major injuries.

He can't say the same about the body she's hoisting over her shoulders.

Steela and Saw freeze, so Rex is the only one to rush forwards and lift Lux's limp body off Ahsoka's fragile shoulders.

The weight of a dead body is something he's grown accustomed to.

"Dooku?" He asks Ahsoka quietly as they lay Lux on the ground.

"He managed to flee." She replies quickly, avoiding his eyes.

He won't press.

"Let's move him into one of the back rooms." Rex says, nodding at Lux and trying not to stare at the lightsaber hole in his chest.

The Senator was only a year older than his Commander.

They leave Steela and Saw to mourn Bonteri. Ahsoka says she's fine, but she's shaking, and Rex doesn't want to take any chances.

"Is that the fourth time I've nearly lost you in the past month?" He asks as he applies a slave to the mark around her neck. The rebel base is in darkness beside the small lantern between the Captain and Commander.

"I seem to have been falling a lot." Ahsoka says, her eyes bright. He doesn't say anything about the silver streaks on her cheeks. "But I haven't fallen completely."

He presses his lips into a thin line.

Fallen Jedi is a touchy subject for his Commander. She's always been afraid of losing her way and becoming someone like Dooku or Ventress.

Rex thinks it's impossible for someone so good to become so bad.

"You know I'd be there to catch you if you did."

His words evaporate into the cold air, and Ahsoka says nothing in response.

He'll be glad to return to Coruscant.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

973 27 15
As the Clone Wars worsen, Anakin and Aniya struggle with the aftermath of losing their Padawans. Elsewhere in the galaxy, Ahsoka and Alema search for...
37.4K 737 163
A collection of all of our one-shots, centering on a wide variety of characters. See the chapters for the individual plots. :D
929 25 8
In the aftermath of Mortis, Anakin, Obi-Wan, Ahsoka, and Rex crash land on a mysterious planet. What they discover is far beyond their wildest dreams...
819 35 3
Obi-Wan Kenobi is haunted by guilt after his fictitious death and deceitful disguise as Rako Hardeen. He struggles to deal with losing the trust of t...