✧The Earthe of the Elves✧

By StoriesbyAvery

"Upstairs!" I hear a yell and pounding footsteps. I crawl out of the window until I'm hanging from my hands... More

Note + aesthetics
1
2
3
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60- Epilogue
3 & 4 - Knox
17 - Knox
28- Knox
30 - Knox
59 - Knox
Extra chapter:)

4

254 11 8
By StoriesbyAvery

Mia's POV

--------------------

Heart in my throat, I roughly push the hand away and whirl around, fists raised. I'm so terrified I would've screamed, but some part of me I can't identify reminds me that there are men looking for me, and if I screamed now they would hear me. Maybe I'll start crying instead. But the person behind me isn't one of the men in black. He definitely isn't from around here.

I would have remembered seeing him.

He looks about my age, but a solid 6 feet in height. Considering I was 5'5 the last time I measured myself, he's pretty tall, and I have to tilt my head up the tiniest bit to look at his face. His body is lean like mine, but he has way more muscle definition than me. Sharp jawline, straight nose, high cheekbones, bright amber eyes, smooth pale skin- is face is unlike any other person I've ever seen. He is gorgeous. But in an almost... ethereal way? I don't know how to describe it. I also do a double take at his ears. They are pointy. Not like mine, but-like-more pointy. And not like super-long-hallmark-movie-elf ears, but... Pointy enough that you can tell it's not normal. What the hell?! And his hair, oh my god. It's long, like the two men currently searching for me.

His hair is a natural shade of blond so light it's almost white, and it falls straight down to right below his shoulder blades. I also can't help but gape at how intricate it is. The front section is pulled back behind his head, and a few other small ones on the side of his head are in fishtails and other weird but beautiful patterns that meet with the one in the back in one final insanely complicated looking braid, which I catch a glimpse of as he whips his head around to check behind him quickly. But the braids aren't big, so it leaves a lot still flowing down. Okay. I always thought guys with long hair were kinda gross, but damn he pulls it off better than anyone I have ever seen in my entire life. It suits him so well.

His clothes are just as intriguing as the rest of him. He is wearing a light brown tunic, with a long sleeved shirt underneath and semi tight black pants underneath. Draped over his back is a forest green cape that falls down past his knees, along with leather boots and matching leather arm cuffs that look like they have knives in them. Huh. He kinda looks like he just left his shift at a Mutton and Mead festival.

Taking in his appearance takes about  3 seconds, and I'm about to question his pointy ears when I remember that he is probably trying to kill me. I clench my fists, ready to do whatever necessary to fight him off. I've never taken any defense classes, to my current regret. Unless a random Youtube video counts.

But before I can swing the boy raises his hands in the universal sign of surrender and whispers, "they see you."

I tilt my head and glance back quickly, to see the two men creeping silently my way, with- bows and arrows in their hands. What century are we in?!

"How?" I whisper in a strained voice. I don't understand. I know this spot is virtually invisible. When I was little I played hide and seek down here with my mom, and one day she gave up and started to get worried because she couldn't find me. I was hiding back here. She walked past me, like, five times and didn't see. There's no way the two men would've been able to see me.

"I'll explain later," the boy whispers, his eyes tracking the men like a predator watching their prey. "Don't look back at them."

"Excuse me?" I whisper, fear clawing up my throat as the scary men advance behind me. "How do I know I can trust you? And how-"

My words are cut off as the boy grabs my arm with surprising force and shoves me behind him as an arrow goes flying right past where I was just standing, coming within an inch of the boy's face. I finally let out a scream of terror as that- and all the previous events of this insane day- catch up to me. I always said I wanted an adventure, but this isn't a book or movie. I have absolutely no clue if I'm going to be alive in the next minute, and it completely terrifies me.

Be careful what you wish for, I guess.

I sink to my knees, ignoring the way the cold seeps into my pajama pants as chaos unfolds.

The first man lets out a medieval war-like cry as he charges for the boy. I don't understand how, but the blond boy stays calm and collected as he ducks under a swinging knife, sending a punch up into the man's jaw, which somehow is hard enough to knock the man into unconsciousness. I don't trust it though, so I take a huge fallen branch from beside me with my shaking hands and whap him in the head. Not hard enough to kill him, obviously, but enough to make sure he at least gets a concussion. The second man comes up with annoyance clear on his face, and shoots an arrow right at the boy. The boy just jumps and does a flip in mid air to avoid the arrow, as if it's the easiest way to dodge it.

What. The. Actual. Hell?

After he lands like it's nothing he sends a punch up, which is stopped by the huge man's hand. The boy receives a kick to the stomach for his failed punch, which sends him flying back and landing right next to me on the ground. I don't even have time to ask if he's okay before he's up again, pushing his cloak behind him as he continues fighting.

I watch in horror, utterly confused. And scared. And cold. The wind from the river is making it even colder, the rawness seeping into my bones. But I can't take my eyes off of the fight as the boy turns so the man in black has his back to me. It takes me a second, but I understand as I see the boy's gaze flick from me to the branch in my hand. I nod, even though I just want to sit here and melt along with the snow. As quickly as I can I push myself up, using the branch for support as the momentary dizziness and nausea passes and I feel strong enough to support myself. I snap my head up as a strangled sound echos through the valley. The man in black has wrapped his hands around the boy's throat, and even though I know the boy is strong, he can't pry the man's huge, calloused hands off. I hesitate for a split second before deciding to go for it. Bringing the branch back as far as I can, I use all the strength in me to send it swinging hard and fast onto the man's head. It connects with a solid thump, sending the man crumpling into a heap on the muddy snow.

For a second, all I can do is catch my breath and stare with wide eyes at the two long haired, pointy-eared men unconscious on the frozen ground. Fog billows from my mouth as I open and close it like a fish out of water, trying to find words for all the thoughts and questions swirling in my head. After a full minute of standing there, my heart rate finally slows from derby race to nervous, and I can think clearly. Or at least clearer. Dropping the wet, cold log, I look up at the boy, who has just finished kicking the guy who just fell in the head. He's staring at me now, a concentrated and curious look on his face. When our gazes meet, his eyes soften. He sends me an apologetic glance as he heads for the river. I look back at the last glimpse of my house through the trees, then follow the boy, not knowing what to do. Needing answers.

"Hold on," I call, jogging to catch up. My legs feel numb. My voice is shaky with fading adrenaline. "What the hell was that? Why were they chasing me? And why do you have pointy ears? Why did they have long hair? I mean- wha-I-"

"I'm sorry," is the first thing the boy says, stopping a few meters before the drop-off sloping down to the river, which is currently filled with huge ice chunks being pulled by the current. "That must've been scary for you, but I can explain later. Right now we need to leave." His voice is smooth and matured, every word so perfect it sounds almost practiced.

I look at him with an incredulous face. "Go where? I think to the police station. Also, who are you?"

"Oh right. Sorry. I'm Knox. Knox Larraeith. And we can't go to the police, they can't do anything about that. But we need to go before they wake up. I'll explain everything later."

First of all, what kind of name is that. Second, what kind of trouble have I gotten into?

"But I need to get home!" I cry out, exasperated. I hate how my eyes tear up. I hate it. But I can't help it. "My mom comes home in an hour, if I leave she won't know where I am!"

Knox's face turns sad, but he just nods and pulls a shiny little rock out of his pocket.

"I'm sorry, but we have to leave. I left a note for your mom when I came over here if that makes you feel any better. Please, we have to go."

I look at him, taking in what he just said. How... Whatever, I can't think of that right now. Not when a million other thoughts are shoving around in my head. But I do know that I want to go home.

"I am going to the police. Of course they can do something about it! I'm sorry but I don't know you, so I'm not going anywhere with you."

Knox's face flashes with momentary anger, but it quickly fades into a pleading look.

"I know this doesn't make sense now, but if you come with me it will all make sense in a few minutes. Trust me, the police can't help. I can. I promise I won't hurt you. You're safe with me. But if you go home, more C- guys will come and take you, and-" he cuts off, his eyes looking anywhere but mine as a grimace takes over his features. Fear bubbles back to the surface again at that thought. What would have happened if Knox hadn't saved me? I know I shouldn't, but some weird feeling is telling me to trust him. It's a deep gut feeling, more powerful than any 'gut feeling' I've ever had. I'm still apprehensive, but going with some boy is better than with some men who look like they could- and want to- kill me. So I nod, noticing how as I do Knox visibly relaxes and gives me a wry smile.

Then he throws the pebble into the river. The minute it touches the water it glows, then explodes. I shield my eyes until the light dies down, and when I look back, there is a huge whirlpool in the river, glowing bright blue. Ice chunks melt the second they touch the rim of it, and it swirls down, down, down...

"We have to jump."

"WHAT?" I practically yell. That stone might have caused that, somehow, but I am NOT jumping into a whirlpool just because some stranger tells me to. "I am not jumping into a whirlpool! Are you insane?"

Knox looks a little exasperated now, but his eyes widen as a grumble sounds from behind us. I look back at the two men, who are slowly getting up.

HOW?! We just knocked them out- 5 minutes ago- so hard they shouldn't have woken up for another hour at least.

"Please Mia, we have to go!"

I don't even register the fact that he knows my name, only that the men are looking at us with such hate I take a step back. And that's before they start running at us. That makes me rethink this. If I'm going to die, might as well be an epic jump into a freezing cold whirlpool, right?

I nod at Knox, and he grabs my hand as he sprints towards the edge of the river, pulling me and my still wobbly legs with him. I also can't help but notice that despite the winter temperature, his hand is surprisingly warm.

When my wet, numb foot finally reaches the edge of the hill before the drop off I push, screaming as Knox and I jump then fall, the wind whooshing past my ears, making my face numb.

Right into a swirling whirlpool.

—————————————————————————

WOHOOO, time to do some world building- sorry if it's not your favorite thing, I promise it's not going to take the whole chapter.

-Avery<3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

83 12 14
When Raelyn married in to the royal Älva family, she never expected the tragedies that came soon after. As quick as she was married to the love of he...
558 120 35
[ U N E D I T E D V E R S I O N] ''We're running out of time! And you want me to leave you behind?....'' The soft silence engulfed the forest not a...
594 56 18
Book One is finally complete, please look forward to Book Two, The Chronicles of Arnora: The Zemorian Invasion! Thousands of years ago there was a gr...
Static By Hattie

Teen Fiction

7.5K 317 17
{COMPLETED} "now that you've had your fun electrocuting me, would you care to hop in the backseat?" ...