Dorm Room 210 [Original]

By Kapsie

Completed! This isn't the first time love had a roommate. It's been five years since the death of her parents... More

AUTHOR NOTE!
Summary
Prologue
Dorm Room 210: Changes
Dorm Room 210: Hello Roommate
Dorm Room 210: Friendships
Dorm Room 210: A Music Festival
Dorm Room 210: Confrontation
Dorm Room 210: Inevitable Fate
Dorm Room 210: Girls and Hope
Dorm Room 210: Steady By the Storm
Dorm Room 210: A Side Dish For Superman 1
Dorm Room 210: Stormy Weathers
Dorm Room 210: Phones Hold Value
Dorm Room 210: Just a Bit Awkward
Dorm Room 210: Papers and Pillows
Dorm Room 210: Bonds
*Dorm Room 210: React to Change*
Dorm Room 210: Queue The Smile
Dorm Room 210: Vodka Love
Dorm Room 210: Sunshine Blues
Dorm Room 210: A Colourful Confession
Dorm Room 210: A Roommates Privacy
Dorm Room 210: An Open Heart
Dorm Room 210: A Roommate's Agreement
Dorm Room 210: Thread and Needle
Dorm Room 210: Pandora's Truth
Dorm Room 210: Extravagant
Dorm Room 210: Lovers
Dorm Room 210: September 26th
Dorm Room 210: An Open Mind
Dorm Room 210: Facts and Flaws
Dorm Room 210: An Inner Peace
Epilogue
EXTRA: Nicole's POV
EXTRA 2: Noah's POV
ACKNOWLEDGMENTS
EXCLUSIVE SAMPLE CHAPTER

Dorm Room 210: A Side Dish For Superman 2

1.5M 45.7K 10.4K
By Kapsie

Author note: This chapter has been revised and edited. Updated 13th June 2017

I really don't know why I had two separate chapters for these. It would've been better if it was all in one chapter LOL. Oh well, it happened. Enjoy!

Chapter 9.5:

A Side Dish For Superman 2 

I don't remember being escorted to table, let alone downing two glasses of water within minutes, but I do feel the slight pounding on the side of my temple and the pressure of Noah's hand resting on my back. 

His parents sit across from us; his dad, Aaron, facing Noah, and his mother, Veronica, facing me. They're both wearing jeans and looking serene in the comforts of their own home.

I don't have the energy to turn around and yell at Noah for making me stress about getting a dress. I don't have the nerve to yell at him, for whatever reason it may be, not when he's looking far more guilty that I ever hope he feels.

Indian and Chinese take out is dinner tonight. The smell of fried rice, honey and soy noodles and spicy chicken hits me so wonderfully that all I want to do is dig in.  

"Are you all right now, dear?" Veronica asks, her green worried eyes finding mine without trouble. A lock of blonde hair escapes from her messy ponytail as she copies my nod. "Good. Now I'll be sure to rid of those cakes from the limos once and for all."

Aaron glances at Veronica, a hint of a teasing smile splaying on his features. It takes me by surprise at the gentleness portrayed. "Not all of them I hope. They're your favourite and you know it."

I glance around at the modern and finest dining room I have been privileged to see as Noah continues gently rubbing my back. I look over at him, at his untouched plate of rice and chicken, and shrug him off. "Eat. I'm good now."

"If you feel sick let me know," he says, but he picks up his fork anyway.

I eventually do the same.

Veronica, it appears, love a good small talk wherever possible. "So, Lillian. How's sharing a dorm room with my son going?"

"Smoothly," I say, twirling up a noodle from my Chinese container.

"Do you two share any classes?"

"Design and development. We're working on an assignment."

Her back straightens, a look of excitement passing through her. "Together? What is it?"

"A dress and a couple of side pieces." He turns to me for approval. "We're still working on the finer details."

"Is there going to be a runway to showcase these assignments?"

"End of semester, everyone will have a chance to display their projects."

Veronica's smile took over her features, and ultimately mine, as she glances between us. "Well I hope your father and I will be able to come and see it for ourselves."

At the mention of Aaron, Noah sinks out of the conversation. He nudges his elbow at me. "Pass the salt, sunshine."

I look between him and the salt. "You're way closer to the salt than I am."

Noah sighs and stands up abruptly from his seat, causing a shift in the table. Before anyone had the chance to do anything, my water and a carton of food spills over. Noah grasps the salt just as he swears and drops it.

Veronica mutters reassurances as Aaron goes and grabs napkins for the spilled food on the floor. I try to help while protecting my dress from the drink spilling over the edge, but the damage has been done; it's ruined and heavy with my dinner.  My attention falls on Noah's distraught face.

He doesn't look at anyone as he cleans his own mess, pinched cheeks of red. Aaron tries to laugh it off and Veronica makes a joke about how clumsy her son is, but Noah is mute to it all, and I can't help but be too.

By the time dessert follows, a store-bought cheesecake and apple pie, silence takes a seat at the table.

Aaron has tries multiple times to talk to Noah, but his son gives him quick responses than appropriate sentences. It's driving me crazy, let alone anyone else at the table. My parents and I used to talk over dinner; loud and annoying to neighbours, but it was that sort of warmth that made the night exciting. Stacy and I would dinner just as cozy, sometimes little to no conversation at all, but the tension wasn't as thick as it is on this table. I decide to break it.

"Why did you invite me to dinner?" I catch Noah's glance from the corner of my eye.

Aaron clears his throat. "I wanted to meet the girl who's sharing a dorm with my son. The invite wasn't intentional until I met you, Lillian. Respect has always been a vital part of the family." 

Noah whispers, "Bullshit."

I smile at Aaron. "Thank you for the invite, Mr Sky."

"Aaron, please."

The chair beside me scraps against the floor. "I'm going to the bathroom." 

"I'm sorry for that," Veronica says as soon as Noah is out of sight, and takes a strawberry with her fingers. "He's just stressed out right about his brother. It's been like that for years."

Well, slap me in the face and call me Superman. "He has a brother?"

Aaron arches a brow. "Vincent. Do you have any siblings?"

"No, I'm the only child."   

Aaron quriks a brow. "I'm surprised you didn't know."

"Noah doesn't say much about himself," and neither do I. "I only know bits and pieces of his life; nothing too personal." 

Looking around, I notice on the walls have no traces of photo's or family pictures, except for a frame on the other side of the room; gold, red and silver swirls decorating the black design of the wood.

I indicate to the photo. "May I?" They nod, and with their blessing, I get up from my seat and walk over to see the frame clearly.

"If you don't mind me asking," I say, not taking my eyes of the frame before me, "how old were you both then?"

"We were both in our early twenties," Veronica says. Her heels tap against the floor until they stand beside me. "It was our first family photo of all of us."

I scan the photo closely: A younger, happy version of Aaron and Veronica smiles at the camera, with both of their sons, too identical in the face. Vincent must've been the blond child standing in front of his mother, showing off his missing two bottom teeth. I smile at the brunet boy standing in front of his father wearing a little suit and bow, his matching smile burning it's way through my chest.

"I can't forget that day even if I tried," she says. "Noah was four in this photo. Vincent just turned eight."

"What happened to him?"

Veronica swallows, hesitant. The small gesture of her head tells me I'm not going to get an answer, which is fine; I don't even know why I asked in the first place. "Were they close?"

"Yes. It's why the events that happened, happened."   

"He looks happy" I note, eyeing the way Noah's smile had a glint to it. 

"They both were."

"He's very smart." I notice Veronica's attention on me. "He's a bright person, quiet at times but still respectful and talented. Honestly, I don't know where he gets it from."

"I know," she says, confidently. "He takes it after his father."

Aaron gets up from the table. "I'll go look for Noah."

"No, it's all right. I can check on Noah. Just tell me which room to go."

When I think I'm at the right door, I knock and call Noah's name. He comes out of the bathroom in seconds; his eyes a little red.

"It was either your dad or me," I say.

He nods.

I point into the direction of the dining room. "Forget about what just happened, it was an accident."

"It's not the mess that made me leave," he says, voice heavy with emotions. He sniffs and wipes his face. "I really can't deal with this tonight. I've made a fool of us by wearing these kind of clothes."

I take his wrist lightly in reassurance. "Dinner is almost over. We can leave as soon as the dessert is gone. Your mum really wants you there."

It may have been the guilt that swallows him whole; it may have been the tone of my voice, or the serious expression on my face. Regardless, he follows me.

The awkwardness takes a while for it to die down, but with the persistence of Veronica, it succeeds eventually.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

145K 16.8K 37
Fresh out of high school, Aaron rents a room in a townhouse with some new housemates. He then develops a crush on his roommate, Caleb Morris, who onl...
281K 5.7K 18
Jennie hasn't been very lucky in love or sex since her high school relationship didn't end well. Now a freshmen in college Jennie is hoping she can...
The Roommates By Kel

Teen Fiction

555K 15.5K 40
Blair Fairbanks is excited to finally be going away to college. She's ready to learn, have fun, make new friends, and live on her own in the dorms. ...
120K 4.5K 29
Noah is forced by his mother to move out of their home when she disowned him for being gay. He tells his friend Elliot about it and he tells his fami...