A Penny For Your Tears [Z.M]

Oleh noena11

Completed Zayn Malik version When trauma after trauma seems to occupy her life; the young Olivia Gray escap... Lebih Banyak

One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty One
Twenty Two
Twenty Three
Twenty-Four
Twenty Five
Twenty Six
Twenty Seven
Twenty-Eight
Twenty Nine
Thirty
Thirty One
Thirty Two
Thirty Three
Thirty Four
Thirty Five
Thirty Six
Thirty Seven
Thirty Eight
Thirty Nine
Forty
Forty One
Forty Two
Forty Three
Forty Four
Forty Five
Forty Six
Forty Seven
Forty Eight
Forty Nine
Fifty
Sequel

Seventeen

461 34 9
Oleh noena11

"Olivia, how do the decorations look?"

"They look fine."

"Olivia, do you think the arrangement of the books look good?"

"Yep."

"Olivia, do you think I look fat?"

"Yes."

Suddenly, I felt a slap on the back of my head and I turned around to see my grandma with her hands on her hips.

"Have you even heard a word of what I said?" She asked, slightly annoyed, and I shrugged sheepishly in response. "Olivia, this isn't a joke! Your grandfather's showcase is tonight and you know how much this means to him. A lot of important people will be here tonight and if you can't find it within yourself to care, at least do it for your grandfather." I had never seen her so angry before and I felt my face heat up with shame and embarrassment.

"I'm sorry, Grandma, what do you need me to do?" She sighed, her shoulders relaxing slightly as her stern look became softer. 

"There's still so much left to do, I wouldn't know where to start. You can help Liam set the tables up out back in the patio."

"Who?" I questioned, slightly confused.

"Liam, Karen's son. Oh, you must not have met him yet, she came by our house a few days ago. Perhaps you weren't home that day. Anyway, just go and help him." Without arguing,  I made my way to the patio. I slid the glass door open, the cool air finally hitting me as I spent most of the morning indoors. I walked out, glancing around for this Liam.

"Hello." Someone spoke from behind me, touching my shoulder gently to grab my attention.  I jumped back impulsively, taking several step backwards with slight expression of fear occupying my face. "I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to scare you." The person apologized, a look of concern covering his face. Calming down, I could get a clearer view of this man and a frown came to play almost immediately.

"You? You're that guy hangs out with Zayn and Harry. You were there that time I almost died." I accused, bitterness evident in my tone. I had let what happened go, but that doesn't mean I had forgiven any of them.

"Yes, I'm so sorry about that day and for anything else that might have happened." Liam apologised sincerely

"Save it, let's just get these tables fixed and we can go our separate ways again." I put a hand up, silencing him before marching away to start on one of the tables. My confidence surprised  me seeing as a minute ago, I had cowered away from him like a scared little puppy. I was changing, slowly but surely I was changing, becoming more and more confident with each passing day.

"I'm Liam by the way." He suddenly spoke after about twenty minutes of silence. I rolled my eyes, my back facing him so he couldn't see, I had already gathered as much. "You're Olivia right?" He continued hoping to initiate a conversation, but I remained silent. He didn't say anything again after that and we continued setting up table after table until eventually we finished our last one and we smiled at each other triumphantly before I remembered was angry at him, causing my smile to fall instantly. Liam sighed heavily, muttering something under his breath before turning to face me.

"Harry misses you, you know. Whatever Louis said , it started off like that but Harry was never trying to intentionally hurt you, he's just not like that. He holds a lot of respect for women, we all do of course. In addition to that, eventually he enjoyed your company so much; he told Zayn he couldn't do it anymore. As for Zayn, he's just had a very difficult life and some issues with trust" Liam tried to defend his friend, however I didn't want to hear it. But, the mention of Zayn did intrigue me. I chose to walk inside than hear anymore of what he had to say, leaving him outside alone. As I entered the shop again, I gasped in awe at how much my grandparents had accomplished in the mere hour or more I was outside. The place had been completely transformed and resembled more a gala than it did a bookshop. The featured books were showcased around the shop in beautiful glass cases and there was a team of waiting staff already preparing the catering for tonight.

"Olivia, darling, what do you think?" Grandma called as she walked towards me. I smiled, embracing her.

"It's amazing, tonight will be perfect you'll see." I assured her. She sighed a sigh of relief before admiring a job well done with her hands on her hips. She looked at the time on her watch before letting a startled gasp.

"My goodness, we have to get going! Olivia, you go home already and get ready for the event. I'll go get my things and your grandfather and we'll be right behind you." I nodded in agreement and she gave me a kiss before disappearing. I grabbed my jacket, sending a quick glance at Liam who was finishing up outside before leaving the shop. I put my hands in my pockets as I began my short fifteen minute walk home, moments like this allowed me to really enjoy life in a quaint little town like this one. It was so drastically different to the hustle and bustle of New York, I could seldom understand how my parents, especially my father, was able to leave life here for there. I passed by a bar and was distracted by a flyer that was pasted on their window.

"Looking for someone to help behind the bar." I read out loud, I pondered the idea. A job that was precisely what I needed to move on and gain some sense of self-worth. With a new-found confidence I walked into the pub, looking around for anyone who might resemble the owner.

"What can I do for you love?" A man at the bar asked, throwing his towel over his shoulder as he placed the cup he was cleaning down. There was no one else in the building and I assumed the fact that it was still broad daylight was the reason why.

"I, uhm, came in for the poster. The one placed on your window." I stammered and he raised a brow as he eyed me up and down.

"You're a quaint little thing, the men that come here tend to get rough when they're drunk, especially when football's on. I can't always be there to protect you." The man said, I was surprised that that was the first thing he had to say. No, who are you or what's your name, I suppose this was my first job interview but even in my ignorance I knew that his approach was unorthodox.

"I'm sure I'll learn to protect myself." I wasn't lying, I had to learn to protect myself and what way to learn than in a bar filled with rowdy men? Well, actually on second thought that didn't sound right or like a good idea.

"Have you ever tended a bar before?" He asked, and I shook my head.

"No, but like I said I'll learn." He scoffed as he took several steps forward, stopping only a few inches in front of me. I held my breath as he observed me;

"You'll begin next week Saturday at eight, be here an hour early for paperwork and  training." He finalized before returning to the bar. I was taken aback, completely surprised. I honestly thought I would be turned away at first glance.

"We don't even know each other's names."

"We'll learn." He reiterated my words in a dismissive tone and I took this is as my cue to leave. I walked out the bar with a smile on face, I let out a little squeal jumping up slightly. I didn't know why I was so happy, it was just a job that I had stumbled upon yet this opportunity had filled me with so much joy. As I finally calmed myself down, another feeling came over me. One of being watched, I glanced around me nervously but saw nothing.

"Miss!" A voice called, it was Jonathon running towards me. "You were supposed to wait for me!" He panted, out of breath.

"I'm sorry, I didn't know. And, please, call me Olivia. I've told you this so many times already." I apologized, still glancing around.

"Olivia, are you ok?" He asked, observing my slightly panicked state.

"I'm fine." I responded, realizing it was probably all in my head.

"Come, your grandparents are in the car already."

The drive home was quick and as soon as we arrived, Grandma ushered me to my room where Amelia had already prepared my dress and was waiting for me to do my make-up. She didn't waste anytime; tackling my hair and face as if I was going into war. Once finished she took a step back, observing her handy-work with a satisfied nod. 

"Miss, you must get dressed now, the car leaves in fifteen minutes." Amelia ushered me into the bathroom, handing me my dress before closing the door. I sighed heavily, as I quickly slipped into the silk black dress, bending down to put on my heels before taking a deep breath and observed my complexion in the mirror. I was shocked at what stood before me; gone was the weak, meek and intimidated girl filled with so much fear. Instead, a fierce vixen stood before who was ready to take any challenge thrown her way. The dress was simple in nature but exuded sensual and sexual prowess. I was at awe at how much make-up and the right dress could change a person so drastically.

"Olivia, we need to go now! The guests will soon start arriving, we can't be late to our event!" Grandma called from outside. I grabbed a small black handbag that Amelia had picked out for me before stepping out the bathroom.

"Oh my!" My grandmother gasped, placing a hand on her mouth. Amelia's eyes darted between her and my dress nervously and I could tell she was scared as she had picked it out for me. "Well, I wouldn't exactly have chosen this dress as it's a tad bit revealing, however you look amazing, darling, and I cannot in good conscience tell you to change." I smiled at her words and you could see Amelia visibly relax.

"Thank you so, so much Amelia! I owe you one." I called as I followed my grandmother out the room. As my heels clicked against the floor and the distance between myself and the car became smaller and smaller, I felt a knot form at the pit of my stomach. Something was going to happen tonight and didn't what or how and I definitely didn't understand why I felt like this but as I watched the house fade away from view as Jonathon drove us to the event, I knew that  I wouldn't becoming home the same way I had left.

A/N: I am so excited for the next few chapters, there'll be a little more drama coming to play and perhaps some romantic scenes with Olivia and Zayn. Please, please, please vote and comment and share if you can, it'll increase the chances of this book being seen by others. It's really not doing too well and it's a tad bit disheartening but we shall persevere. My country has gone back into lockdown so expect a lot more chapters, you can check out my Harry fanfic which is a spin off of a Spaces Between Us, if you have time ;) Stay safe,

noena11

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

661K 23.2K 76
Amber knew better than to walk home in the dark. Her mom is constantly on her back about it. But when she leaves a party slightly tipsy, she's comes...
2.3K 166 73
"Why are you doing this to me?" I asked him. "Because I can and I will." He said moving closer to me. "Why does it have to be like this. We can wor...
1.1M 41.2K 126
Mature/18+ Trigger Warnings included All her life, Ivy Malone has known what her family was. She grew up in the deep, unforgiving world of the mob. I...
6.5K 188 51
The second part of the series reveals the infamous assassins Aria and Harry falling back into the shoes of their old personalities. Turning back into...