Corona City

By Cupcakegirlpower

Currently being rewritten A Modern Tangled AU. Varian is a dorky, fifteen year old nerd who is in his senior... More

Episode 2:Beginings P2
Episode 3:A Sunny Fall Party
Episode 4:Viral Spiral
Episode 5:On the Ball
Episode 6:Not So Easily Solved
Episode 7:Two Below
Episode 8:Operation:Christmas Scrooge
Episode 9:New Year's Resolutions
Episode 10:The Wall Between
Episode 11:Project Moonstone P1
Episode 12:Project Moonstone P2
Please Read:CC Update
S2-E1: Sunburned P1

Episode 1:Beginings P1

1.2K 28 93
By Cupcakegirlpower

Note: It's a series, but the episodes aren't as long as a typical episode.  I have all of season 1 written already, but I'm posting once a week.  I know, Tuesday is an odd day, but oh well.

Varian felt the car vibrate when his father closed the passenger door. He flinched before setting his elbow on the car door's wedge and his chin in his hand. His father opened the driver's door and sat in his seat. Quirin didn't even glance at his son before telling him to put his seatbelt on. The fifteen year old tended to forget that part. The boy obeyed when he realized that he had forgotten the step once again.

Quirin began to drive out of the high school parking lot. There was an uncomfortable silence between the two until they reached the first light. The man sighed. "Why, Varian?"

"Dad, it wasn't my fault-" Varian began.

"This is the fourth time this semester," Quirin continued.

The teen sighed as he turned his head to his father. "I didn't mean to start the fire, Dad. If Brad would stop fooling around and randomly shoving people around me, then there wouldn't be a problem. I just keep getting blamed 'cause I'm holding the chemicals."

Quirin looked straight ahead, focusing on driving. "Varian, we're only in October! You can't risk being expelled again. We're running out of school options that are close enough to my job, and as much as you want to homeschool, I just can't do that. You don't want to have to be the new kid again, do you? We were lucky Corona High let you back in after the winter semester."

"No..." Varian winced at the mention of the incident.

"Are the teachers fair?" Quirin asked after a moment.

"For the most part," Varian admitted.

"Then why is there so much to get them to understand it wasn't your fault if it truly wasn't?"

"Dad, I promise I'm not lying." Varian felt offended his father wasn't taking his word. He was always honest. Well, for the most part, but he was then.

"I didn't mean that, I'm trying to understand, is all." Quirin looked tired.

Varian felt a little guilt settle in his stomach as he looked down. "Sorry... I don't know why either. They never actually see it and they kinda have to run off of the others' stories. Brad's pretty popular, and I'm only noticed because of the explosions, so..." his voice trailed off.

"How much was damaged?" Quirin asked.

"Just the table and the supplies on it this time. The school itself was not touched by the flames," Varian reported.

His father sighed. "I assume I'll have to be paying for it."

"You shouldn't have to. It was Brad's fault," Varian grumbled.

"Well, I don't think that's happening. I can't keep paying for these kind of things, Varian."

"I know." Varian slumped a little. "I'd pay it if I could."

His father sighed again. "I know you would. I know you don't mean to cause issues either. You follow the rules and stay in the lines, where many teens want to cross the line and break the rules just because they're not allowed to. I'm lucky to have you and I wouldn't want to trade you for another son. Alright? I love you, and I don't want you to get hurt."

"I love you too, Dad." He felt somewhat better by this, but he still couldn't shake the feeling that he had failed again.

They pulled into the driveway. Varian went to open his door, but stopped as his father spoke again. "Principal Nigel thinks that maybe it would be better if you quit your experiments."

Varian's eyes widened. He knew it was bad when an adult at a school told a parent that they should stop their child from trying to learn on their own. "You mean at the school?"

"At home too. He thinks that you shouldn't continue until you're of age," Quirin explained.

"You're... you're not going to do that... are you?" the teen could feel his breath caught in his chest. The thought of losing his privilege to his experiments was horrifying.

"No..." Quirin began slowly. "But I'm not going to totally shoot it down. I just wanted to give you a heads up. It's not because you did anything wrong, I want to make that clear. It'll just be a precaution to keep you safe, but not yet. I'm going to think about it."

"Al-alright," Varian mumbled, not liking the idea any way shape or form. He opened his car door and swung his legs out. He felt his father grab his hand that lingered on the dashboard and give it squeeze. Varian looked at him.

"I'm not mad. I promise," his father assured him.

"Ok," Varian answered quietly before getting out of the car. He swung his backpack over his shoulder and went into the house. 

Quirin leaned back in the driver's seat. He exhaled as he watched his son go sadly into the house. "Oh, Ulla. You always knew the answer to everything. If only you were still here, you'd know what to do."

Once Varian was inside, the first thing he did was go to the fridge. He grabbed a can of coke and a bag of doritos from the pantry. Then he went to the garage and sat at his desk that held two computers. His fingers immediately flew across the keyboard once the screens flickered to life, typing out a formula. It was much more simple to just jump into the world of science when life was bumpy. There was always a solution to math and science, even if the answer was that there was no way of solving it. Sometimes he felt like there was no way of solving the problems in life. No matter how hard he tried or what he did.

He glanced over at the picture over to his left. It was him and his mom doing his first rocket science. He was five at the time. He looked into his mother's shining blue eyes as they smiled, watching Varian laugh. How he missed those days. Him and his mom doing science together, but it would never happen again. It had been two years since she died. Ever since then, he plunged into his science much more, especially when she first died. Now, it was just him and his dad.

Varian loved his father, more than anyone else alive. He would go through desperate lengths to make his father proud, and prove himself to his dad that he was worth being proud of. They just never seemed to understand each other. His mom was always there to bring the two together and help them understand each other. Now that she was gone... they had to figure things out themselves.

The teen sighed as he went back to work. He didn't want to think about what wasn't there anymore. There was a buzzing next to him. He glanced down at his phone. It was just a text from the phone company. What did he think it was? The only numbers he had were his father, aunt Adira, and uncle Hector's. He shook his head and continued to type away furiously.

~~~~~~~~~~

"So, do you have the list of your classmates? You don't want to miss one," Mrs. Guard asked her son.

"Uh, yup, I think so," Dennis replied. "I was thinking, there's this kid in Cass's class who's about my age. I thought I could invite him too. I mean, c'mon, his entire class is at least two years older than he is."

Mrs. Guard looked at her son. "Oh? I didn't know that. How on earth is he in her class if he's your age. Fifteen and a senior?"

"I heard he's really smart," Dennis explained.

"Maybe he can help you with your grammar," Dennis' older sister said cooly. "You seem like you can use help with that."

Dennis made a face. His sister was playing the Switch, half laying, half sitting on the couch and hadn't even looked up as she had spoken. She was like that. To be in her own world and only returned to the world of reality to make a snarky comment.

"You're just jealous because I'm top in my class with math and you..." he gave a taunting smile at her.

She rolled her eyes. "And I was top in other things. Math just wasn't one of them, Den."

"Yeah, martial arts, drama, and music. Why don't you start painting with Sunny too while you're at it," he teased.

"There's nothing wrong with being plain out talented," Cassandra huffed.

"Alright, you two," Mrs. Guard said sternly. "Don't you have homework?"

"Yes, ma'am," the two replied.

"Hey, Dennie," their mother said. "I think you should invite that boy over. I wouldn't mind having one more at the fall party." 

~~~~~~~~~~

Dinner was silent. There was hardly a word passed between Varian and his father. Varian just looked at his plate as he ate, not wanting to look up. Once he had finished his dinner, he stood up and grabbed his cup and plate. He rinsed them and put them in the dishwasher. As he dried his hands, he felt his father come up behind him and embraced him in a hug.

"Hey, it's going to be alright," he said.

Varian turned around and hugged his father back. "Just... Why can't I just be normal? Why can't I have issues like every other kid? Why do I have to be so different?"

"Hey, the world would be boring if everyone was the same. My world would be boring without you. I love you son, and I love you as you are. No matter what you do, you are my son, and that will never change."

"I love you too, Dad." Varian felt a weight being lifted off his chest. He was glad he had his father. The only thing was, he was still lonely and he still had problems. Quirin knew this. If only there was a way to fix it.

~~~~~~~~~~

Varian shouldered his backpack as he walked along the sidewalk. He stopped when he reached the high school. Summoning up his courage, he began to stride onto the campus. There was a group of teens hanging out by the doors. They merely looked, but Varian could feel their laughing eyes boring into him. It wasn't the fun, lighthearted, careless laughter either.

The fifteen year old shrugged it off. He didn't even glance in their direction and went into the building. He guessed it was nice that they mainly ignored him. No one bullied him, well, physically anyways. However, at the amount of accidents he was blamed for, that would probably be changing. It was a miracle that he hadn't been bullied after the 'winter incident'.

"Hey!"

Varian turned his head. He was in the hallway, lockers lined both sides on the walls. There was a boy with a mop of curly, black hair on his head. He was walking towards Varian, and looked roughly about the same age.

This is it! Varian thought. He looked nervously at the boy. "Oh, uh, hi." Varian gave a small wave.

"Varian, right? I'm Dennis," he held out a hand.

Varian accepted it, somewhat confused. "Yeah, Varian Meyer."

"You're in the senior classes, right? I think you share most of your classes with my sister."

"Uh, yeah, but I don't think I've met your sister or anything..." Varian began.

"Yeah, I know that. You see, I'm having this fall party at my house this Saturday, and I'm inviting all the kids in my class. I know we're not in any classes together, but we are about the same age. I thought you might wanna come and hang out. You won't be the only nerd, promise. Maybe the smartest, but not the only."

"Really? I mean, yeah, sure! I'd love to come. I'll just check with my Dad tonight." Varian smiled.

"Great!  See ya tomorrow, then?"

"Yep, I'll give you an answer then," Varian agreed.

Dennis waved before going his own way to class.

"I just got invited to a party?" Varian whispered to himself. "I just got invited to a party!" The last time he was invited to anything was when he was twelve and it was to a New Year's Party.

~~~~~~~~~~

"Mr. Meyer, I finished the truck... Mr. Meyer?"

"Huh, oh. Yes, right. Thanks, Eugene. I guess you're done for today."

"Sure... are you alright? You're kind of out of it today."

"Yes, just in thought... uh, Eugene. You're still a teen. Can I ask you something?" Quirin looked at the nineteen year old.

"Ask away," Eugene said cooly.

"Did you ever feel lonely a few years back?"

"Uh... ok... not what I thought you were gonna ask, but alright. Um... yeah. For a long time. You know, it was just me and my Dad, and I wasn't really liked in grade school..."

"If you could go back now and give yourself something to help you through it besides a friend or something, what would you give?"

Eugene realized where Quirin was going with this. He smiled. "Ah. Does a dog or cat count? Not the same as a human companion, but it does help."

"Of course!" Quirin whispered. "Thank you."

Eugene winked. "No, prob'. Also, I have everything I need, ain't lonely anymore either. There's usually just an awkward stage in life like that."

"Right." Quirin grinned. Now he knew what to do.

~~~~~~~~~~

Quirin set his work bag by the door once he entered the house. He sighed.

"Hey, Dad!" Varian came into the entryway.

"Hey, son. How'd it go today?"

"Actually, I wanted to talk to you about that. I got invited to a party today. It's this Saturday," Varian beamed.

"Oh? What's it for?"

"He said it was a fall party."

"Do you know him?"

"Uh, well, not really. He's not in any of my classes. He invited all the kids in his class and me because he heard I was about his age. He said something about me being in his sister's class..."

"So, you don't know them."

"No, but they do live in this neighborhood. Like on Captain Avenue."

Quirin thought about it for a moment. It was very close to their house. He supposed it would be fine if an entire class was there and under parental view. "Alright. You can go, but if you feel uncomfortable, or try to make you do something stupid, come on back home. Alright?"

"Yes! Thanks, Dad!' Varian hugged his father.

Quirin smiled. It was nice to see his son excited like this. It had been a long time. Very rare, and he was glad that he had agreed.

"Now, how about we put dinner on," Quirin said.

"Ok."

~~~~~~~~~~

"Hey, Sunny,"  Cassandra smiled.

"Yay, Cass!  You made it!"  the other seventeen year old waved.  She was naturally a brunette, but she had just bleached it a day or so before into a golden blond.  Her hair was held back in a braid and it ended at her knees.  She had always kept it long, thus giving her the nickname Rapunzel after the two girls had heard the story in kindergarten.  The two had been best friends since they were three.

"Yeah, it's kind of hard to go on a girl's shopping day together when there is no 'together'.  It would be sooo boring for you without me."

"True,"  Rapunzel laughed.  "So, how's the family?"

"Same as always.  Dennis decided to hold a fall party and invited his entire class.  Plus a random kid from my class,"  Cass added.

"Awe, sweet…  What 'random' kid from your class did he invite?  I mean, we share the same classes.  Oh!  Is there a boy you like?"  Rapunzel got excited at the latter question.

"What?!  Ewe!  No!  No, he just invited the kid that keeps blowing up the science lab."

"Brad?"

"No, silly.  The one with the blue strip in his hair.  Man, I don't even know his name.  He's fifteen like Dennis."  Cassandra rolled her eyes.

"Oh… I thought he looked awfully young to be seventeen.  Wow!  He's fifteen and a senior?  I'm impressed.  I should meet him sometime.  He must be a genius!  Maybe he can study with us some time."

"Raps, you already invite your annoying boyfriend all the time.  He's not even in high school anymore."

"He's a freshman in Arendelle University.  Only a year difference, Cass.  Besides, I don't think he's annoying.  I think he's cute."

"Obviously!  You're dating him, but that doesn't mean I have to get along with him."

"Alright.  You can be a sour puss.  I won't mind,"  Rapunzel said sarcastically.

Cassandra sighed.  "So, I suppose that you're going to Arendelle University yourself next year?"

"Yeah.  Art's decree," the blonde nodded.

"You know, art doesn't make money."

"It's not for the money, Cass.  I just have a passion for art is all.  Just like you have a passion for saving lives."

"I've never done that before, Raps.  I'm going to be a police officer.  I'll probably be stationed here,  where nothing happens."

"Cheer up, Cass.  That's a good thing.  That means people are all doing their part in maintaining the peace."

"Sometimes you sound like your father," Cassandra said.

"You liked him better when he wasn't our headmaster at school, don't you?  Back when we were in grade school and before we could attend my father's school?" she teased.

"Probably," Cassandra admitted.

"Sooo…  there are no boys you like?  At all?"  Rapunzel dragged out the so.

"Ugh!  No, Rapunzel.  There are no boys, no dating, no double dates, or any type of romantic feelings bottled up in me.  Just… no."  Cassandra shivered at the thought.

Rapunzel gave a pouty face.  "You're gonna live on your own your whole life."

"I honestly wouldn't mind it so, Raps.  Besides, I've got plenty of time ahead of me.  I'm in no rush."

"Right, but if you did have feelings for someone, what would they be like?"

"Probably tall, muscular.  Kind of funny.  Have commonsense and wouldn't ask personal questions and likes personal boundaries."

"So, opposite of me, besides being funny and kind."

"Yeah," Cassandra said.  "Exactly.  Also, probably would like it if he didn't stare at himself 24/7 in a mirror.  Yes, I'm talking about Eugene."

Rapunzel shrugged.  "Just who he is and I can see past the vain side of him.  I love him anyways."

"I don't know why."  Cassandra muttered.

"You say that rather often.  Like at least two times every conversation it feels like."  Rapunzel put her hands on her hips.

"Hmm, I wonder why.  Maybe I'm trying to stress a point,"  Cassandra said.

"Well, you don't have to like him.  What matters is what Eugene and I feel.  We're the ones who are going to spend our whole lives together."

"What about what your Dad thinks?  Does that matter?"  Cassandra asked.

"Of, course, I want to know his opinion.  I will respect it too, as I do yours, but you both haven't given him a chance."

Cassandra shrugged.  "It's your life I suppose."

"You suppose?  Wow, Cass?  I thought you were the one who was all about charting your own life."

"Touché."  Cassandra held her hands up in defeat.

"Come on.  Let's go get a Starbuck's!"  Rapunzel grabbed onto Cassandra's hand and pulled her to the coffee shop in the mall.

~~~~~~~~~~

The bell rang, letting the students out of class.  Varian hadn't been able to find Dennis all day.  Now that school was over, he began to worry if he'd be able to find the teen.  He was looking to his right as he continued walking.  He almost walked smack into Faith.

"Oh, I'm so sorry."  His cheek burned a bright red.  Faith was roughly his age and a popular girl from the sophomore year. Every fifteen year old boy in their right mind would have some sort of small crush on her, but she was quiet and modest, and steered clean away from all boys.  Probably because she was a little shy, as rumors had it anyways.

She blinked before quickly turning away with her own blush.  She had a hand at the side of her face to hide it and walked briskly away.  This left Varian feeling dejected.

"Hey, Varian!  There you are.  I've been looking for you all day.  Got an answer for Saturday?"  Dennis came striding up.

"Oh, Dennis!  Yeah.  Dad said I can go."

"Awesome!"  Dennis grinned.  "Can't wait!'

"Me too."  Varian grinned.

There was a buzz.  Dennis looked at his watch.  He read the message.  Groaning, he rolled his eyes.  "Well, gotta go.  See ya later."

"S-see ya!"  Varian waved.  Excitement was building up in his chest.  There was a possibility that he was making a friend after years, and with the party, he might make more.  Maybe he was finally going to get out of the dumps.  He turned and went his own way.

A group of teens stared after him.  "What do you think, Burt?"

"Time we met him in person, for real."  the teen leaning against the lockers smirked.

End of Episode

Ok, so I gave Cassandra a younger brother and named him Dennis.  There's going to be quite a few OCs in this story.  I may edit this chapter a little more in the future, mainly this note.

If have any questions or any ideas, you may comment them.  I may not answer the question if it has a spoiler, but the questions will help me make sure that I don't have any loose ends in the story.  The ideas will help inspire future season story plots.  I have season 2 pretty much planned, I have a vague idea for a season 3 and I may or may not have a season 4.  Depends if I get any idea really good ideas.  Thanks for reading!  If you're interested, I have other Varian stories I'm working on and can read them while you wait for other chapters (or episodes) of this story.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

122K 5.6K 25
Desperate for money to pay off your debts, you sign up for a program that allows you to sell your blood to vampires. At first, everything is fine, an...
461K 16.6K 95
The story is about the little girl who has 7 older brothers, honestly, 7 overprotective brothers!! It's a series by the way!!! 😂💜 my first fanfic...
2.2M 115K 64
↳ ❝ [ INSANITY ] ❞ ━ yandere alastor x fem! reader ┕ 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡, (y/n) dies and for some strange reason, reincarnates as a ...
430K 17.5K 61
╰┈➤ *⋆❝ 𝐢'𝐝 𝐫𝐚𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐥𝐨𝐬𝐞 𝐦𝐲 𝐜𝐨𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐞 𝐭𝐚𝐛𝐥𝐞 𝐚𝐬 𝐚 𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐮𝐥𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐩𝐢𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐨𝐟𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐞-𝐛...