Nightmares

By Gee_efh

A home wrecked and sinking down, a father and a brother who acts as if you are not to be counted as a person... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2.
Chapter 3.
Chapter 4
Chapter 5.
Chapter 7.
Chapter 8.
Chapter 9.
Chapter 10.
Chapter 11.
Chapter 12.
Chapter 13.
Chapter 14.
Chapter 15.
Chapter 16.
Chapter 17.
Chapter 18.
Chapter 19.
Chapter 20.
Chapter 21.
Chapter 22.
Chapter 23.
Chapter 24.
Chapter 25.
Chapter 26.
Chapter 27.
Chapter 28.
Chapter 29.
Chapter 30.
Epilogue.
Authors note.
AUTHOR'S NOTE
Author's Note

Chapter 6.

176 6 0
By Gee_efh

We reached my house still basking in the silence that directly followed our conversation. But what was weird was how Felix had this stupid smile on his face which I was quite envious of. Just smiling because you wanted to without caring for the fact that you have to smile because of what must have happened. I snorted and he gave me a weird look but he didn't say anything.

He killed the engine of his car and turned in his seat to face me. I ignored his staring at me and unbuckled my seat belt.

"Thanks for the ride," I said and was about to open the door of the car to step out but a handheld my elbow and stopped me.

"Wait" Felix murmured so softly that it was as if he didn't want me to hear.

I stopped and turned to face him while he still held my elbow. He dropped his hand when I fully faced him. He looked me in the eye and I found out that his soft brown eyes had hints of an emotion I didn't want to even understand but I continued looking into his eyes, I don't even know why but I couldn't stop myself, I was quite mesmerised.

"About your question earlier" he started but paused and looked everywhere but me "I  wouldn't mind if you were faking it" he hesitantly added.

"Care to explain a little?" I cocked an eyebrow.

"People have been doing that to me for quite a while and I'm used to it now. But it's just that you give me these vibes that I can't help but trust you and besides I think I'm supposed not to judge a book by its cover" he chuckled nervously.

Why was he nervous?

"Yeah, seems you got a problem of your own" I  sighed "Now to make things clear I am not one who just you know spooks others for money and benefits, it goes against all my principles. I like working for them"

"Okay, glad to confirm that I'm not in a bad place" he smiled.

"Well yeah. My mom is gonna skin me alive when I even think of doing something like that" I laughed.

"So the friend's offer?" he raised his eyebrows and tilted his head.

I looked at him carefully and contemplated on whether to trust him or not. For all, I know he could be a serial killer desperately searching for prey or some voodoo kind of guy needing someone for one of his rituals. But his demeanor and his eyes spoke clear honesty and kindness so I took the bait, besides he just said he had no true friends and he trusts me so why not give it a try and also he could be the only friend I might get now.

"Of course. I'd be glad to" I smiled and extended my hand for a handshake.

He shook my hand and smiled again.
"Can I get your contact?" he asked fished out his phone ready to punch in my number.

I looked down with a blush and an embarrassed face.

"I don't own a phone" I mumbled.

"O....K, I'm so sorry" he quickly apologized catching on to why I was embarrassed.

"Would you be in trouble if you stayed out longer?" he asked.

"No" an eyebrow rose skeptically.

"What about plans, I mean do you have one for this afternoon?"

"No, why?" I asked more confused.

"Then, mind if we go shopping" he wiggled his eyebrows like they were little worms.

"No" I blurted out a little bit harshly. He cringed a little bit and I realised my mistake.

"I just said I won't be like a parasite to you. Besides, I would be a freeloader and possibly be a burden. Really thanks"

"No, no. I'm not taking a no for an answer. Just take it as my gift to seal our friendship"

And without giving me a chance to reply he revved the engine back to life, made a u-turn as we drove to the mall to shop as I did my seatbelt in a daze.

Felix dragged me straight to where the phones were when we got to the mall. I looked through the phones and their price tags and chose a cheap one which I thought suited me and my status well.

Before I could hand it over to the salesgirl who was patiently standing by us to choose our choice- I mean my choice, Felix snatched it away from me and gave me stern look. He chose a similar model to his phone and good lord, I literally froze with a very wide jaw and loud squeak which earned a few looks when I saw the price tag. The price was enough to take care of me and mom for more than three months and it was just for a measly phone, hell no.

"No, no, no. I can't take that, I really can't" I began protesting

"Yes and yes, you are taking it" he retorted and handed over the phone to the sales girl "we will take this"

We followed the girl to the counter after we chose a network cark, paid, took what we bought, and left the mall.

"Really, choosing this phone was no way necessary. I could have chosen the other one." I said when we took our seat in Felix's car.

"Hey, don't worry. I wanted to"

"Now I get why you were often leeched" I grumbled out.

"Hey, can't blame a guy for being generous" he defended.

"And you can't blame a guy for saying that you are wasting money" I retorted

We laughed it out and he started the engine driving towards my house.
We kept talking back and forth making small conversation as he drove me home. You know for a moment, I forgot the harsh reality that always awaited whenever I stepped out of my bubble of escape. My mind closed itself and focused on the conversation Felix and I was having and everything that was really happening floated away to the back of my mind. For a rich spoiled guy, he was so childish as expected but humble and very considerate; something most spoiled rich brats forgot to show. It was as if it was a general rule for them to follow.

Much to my disappointment, we arrived at my house and I felt really...you just put a word that describes vividly how disappointed I felt there. Feliz took the phone from its box, and inspected the phone again which earned a weird stare from me, But back to things here, he switched the phone and typed something in. He finished, flashed me his warming and contagious smile, and handed the phone to me.

"I have typed in my number. Just call or text me when needed" he said and smiled again.

"Thanks, very very much" I emphasized very much to make him know how deep his help meant to me "I think you trust people too easily. Just touch it down" I added.

"Yeah, I know. And I have the experience there to know who falls there, I think you pass up in that area." he laughed.

"I'll be heading inside now. See you later and thanks for the compliment" I laughed back and stepped out of the car.

"And you seemed to be losing up to me, thanks for that" he winked.

And with a blush, I waved and smiled at him. Felix mimicked my actions, flashing me his perfect smile which I can't help but find to be both beautiful and alluring. I made a mental note of asking him why he was not going for any toothpaste commercial.

Just as I was about to step onto our porch, mom called out my name from behind me. I glanced and saw her with two small boxes, one on each hand. I hurried over and took the boxes from her.

"So how was your first day at work?" she asked as she opened the front door.

I walked straight to the dining table and placed the two boxes down.

"Amazingly good" I called out over my shoulder to mom.

She came to the kitchen and stood beside me " I'm proud of you"

"Me too, mom"

"I've got a surprise for you on your first day at work" she chirped happily "and was that a friend of yours" she quickly added and wiggled her eyebrows.

"Yeah, mom. Sort of" I answered and placed my new phone on the dining table.

"Wait, Joel way to go to spoil my surprise" mom sighed deeply.

"Wait what? What did I do?" I asked her, shocked that is.

"Open the smaller box" she ordered.

I opened it and found a phone in it. Now I get it. She wanted to gift me a phone and I already had one; not just one but a more expensive one, probably the most expensive she'd ever seen.

"Aww, mom, that was so much. You shouldn't have" I beamed at her.

"Oh shut up" she rolled her eyes and flipped her hair.

"Care to tell me how you got it?" she asked.

"Well my new friend whom you happen to see forcibly bought it for me" I replied.

"Mm, okay. That was one thoughtful friend. What's he called?"

"Felix"

"Well, I think it's good that we have two phones. Now we can get in touch very well since my old phone isn't doing much well" she scoffed.

We laughed it off and settled down for lunch and after opened the other box which contained delicious chocolate cookies digging greedily into it. In fact, these were some of the small moments that I cherished. If I thought I fell safe and secured in my own created sophisticated worlds then these moments with mom outlived and outdone them.

We moved on to the living room and switched on the radio to a station that was playing some salsa songs. I really loved dancing and I dived right into the music and started dancing.  Mom giggled by my side as she did some simple moves of her own.
Through our dancing, mom's old phone rang and she hurried over and answered whoever was calling.
She said hello and moved into the kitchen so I couldn't hear whatever conversation she was about to have.

She emerged later with a grim expression and sadness deeply etched into her face.
My heart dropped.

"What's wrong" I voiced out my concern softly.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

197K 10.2K 16
My life has never been roses and sunshine. I could go on and on about how I grew up in a broken household, a junkie prostitute for a mother who pimpe...
54.2K 3.1K 24
Profligacy ~Reckless extravagance or wastefulness in the use of resources. ~Licentious or dissolute behaviour. Growing up as the heir to one of th...
2M 80.6K 46
"A mate will love you and only you. No other can compare to you and he or she will treasure you above all and everything in the world," mommy says to...
305K 11K 31
Don't blush. It will just make you look sweeter... Whack! Smack! Slap! Xavier That sound has always made my heart flutter. Especially after a fateful...