Toujours Pur: Goblet of Death

By Citty-Kate

Growing up Gemini Patricia Malfoy was raised as one of the Heirs to Great and Noble House of Malfoy. Part of... More

Toujours Pur: Goblet of Death
Characters
Perfect Possibilities
Reuniting Relatives
Ironically Invigorating Issues
Colds, Cat-naps, and Creeveys'
Enormous Engulfing Emotions
Chilling Confusing Consternations

Nefariously Numbing Nights

30 0 1
By Citty-Kate

Recap:

"Good Morning!" Cedric said brightly to the very unamused group.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There was a chorus of hellos, except from Fred and George. George remained silent and Fred seemed upset about something; I hope he doesn't let what happened earlier with his mother weigh him down through the whole game.

"Long walk, Arthur?" Cedric's father asked.

"Not too bad," said Mr. Weasley. "We live just on the other side of the village there. You?"

"Had to get up at two, didn't we, Ced? I tell you; I'll be glad when he's got his Apparition test. Still not complaining, Quidditch World Cup, wouldn't miss it for a sack full of Galleons. The tickets cost about that. Mind you, looks like I got off easy." Amos Diggory peered good-naturedly at all of us. "All these yours, Arthur?"

"Oh no, only the redheads," said Mr. Weasley, pointing out his children. "This is Anya, Ginny's friend, Gemma, also Ginny's friend, Hermione, friend of Ron's and Harry, another friend."

"Merlin's beard," said Amos Diggory, his eyes widening. "Harry? Harry Potter?"

"Er, yeah," said Harry. He reached up and tried to flatten his hair over his scar.

"Ced's talked about you, of course," said Amos Diggory. "He told us all about playing against you last year. I said to him, Ced, that'll be something to tell your grandchildren, that you beat Harry Potter! This must be THE Gemma then aye; I've heard so much about." Amos walked over.

"I remember meeting you at that Christmas party. Your parents are quite something aren't they, then again, they are Malfoy's." Amos Diggory laughed and I couldn't help but look offended by that.

Cedric's face was bright red. Harry and the Twins were glowering. Probably about the comment on quidditch.

"Gemma isn't like her family and Harry fell off his broom dad. It was an accident. I told you." Cedric said and I slowly moved away from him just as Amos came over.

"Yes, but you didn't fall off, did you?" roared Amos genially, slapping his son on his back. "Always modest, our Ced, always the gentleman but the best man won, I'm sure Harry'd say the same, wouldn't you, eh? One falls off his broom, one stays on, you don't need to be a genius to tell which one's the better flier!"

"Must be nearly time," said Mr. Weasley quickly, trying to change the subject. "Do you know whether we're waiting for any more, Amos?"

I just walked over to Anya who grabbed my hand and squeezed it.

"No, the Lovegoods have been there for a week already and the Fawcetts couldn't get tickets," said Mr. Diggory. "There aren't any more of us in this area, are there?"

"Not that I know of," said Mr. Weasley. "Yes, it's a minute off. We'd better get ready."

All of us crowded around the boot held by Mr. Diggory. With eleven people some had to stand behind others and reach around us. Anya, Ginny, and I were squashed together and Cedric, George, and Fred had to reach over us.

"Three," muttered Mr. Weasley, one eye still on his watch, "two, one."

Immediately I felt a tugging sensation behind my navel and our feet left the ground. My shoulders slammed into the others and I felt sick from all the spinning. I felt an arm wrap around my waist and yank me away from the boot. I let out a little scream and held tight to the arm around me.

Everything stopped spinning long enough to see what was going on. The group had hurled down to the ground but Mr. Weasley, Mr. Diggory, Cedric and I were gently floating to the ground. Cedric was the one to grab onto me and I was so grateful. I looked up at him and we shared a smile.

A voice ran out before I could properly thank him, "Seven past five from Stoatshead Hill."

In front of us was a pair of tired and grumpy-looking wizards, one of whom was holding a large gold watch, the other a thick roll of parchment and a quill. Both were dressed as Muggles, though very inexpertly: The man with the watch wore a tweed suit with thigh-length galoshes; his colleague, a kilt and a poncho.

"Morning, Basil," said Mr. Weasley, picking up the boot and handing it to the kilted wizard, who threw it into a large box of used Portkeys beside him.

"Hello there, Arthur," said Basil wearily. He consulted his parchment list. "About a quarter of a mile's walk over there, first field you come to. Site manager's called Mr. Roberts. Diggory, now let's see... second field, ask for Mr. Payne."

"Thanks, Basil," Mrs. Weasley said brightly.

We all marched on up a hill, Cedric and I walked together at the back of the group. We talked about our holidays and he was excited to meet with Andy next week. She had agreed to let him shadow her at St. Mungos for a day so he could decide if he really wanted to pursue becoming a healer. We talked more about Hogwarts and twenty minutes later we made it to the Weasley's campsite. I said goodbye to Cedric and we parted ways.

We had to walk up to a cottage where Mr. Weasley had to check in with Mr. Roberts who owned the land. He was a muggle and Mr. Weasley had to have Harry help him with the muggle currency. Eventually we were able to go to our tents, there were hundreds of tents set up in this campsite.

Many looked relatively muggle, but quite a few had chimneys sticking out of them. We passed one that made of silk and had peacocks outside of it.

"Ah, here we are, look, this is us." Mrs. Weasley stated as we reached the very edge of the woods. "Couldn't have a better spot!" said Mr. Weasley happily. "The field is just on the other side of the wood there, we're as close as we could be."

"Right," he said excitedly, "no magic allowed, strictly speaking, not when we're out in these numbers on Muggle land. We'll be putting these tents up by hand! Shouldn't be too difficult. Muggles do it all the time. Here, Harry, where do you reckon, we should start?"

It took Harry, Hermione, and Mr. Weasley to put them up. I thoroughly enjoyed sitting down, we had been walking for miles all day. I had never exercised so much in my life. Once the tents were up, we all crawled inside. The tents were charmed to be huge on the inside.

One tent was for the girls and one for the boys - I am glad that they are more boys than girls for once in my life. We had three-bedroom rooms in each tent. Ginny and Anya were sharing, Hermione by herself, and Nymphie would share with me once she got here.

Harry, Ron, and Hermione left to go find water, Mr. Weasley was in charge of starting a fire. I just curled up on the couch in the girls' tent and started reading my charms book. I was actually looking forward to this match to start. I could have hours- if not days - of uninterrupted reading time.

"Hey, you know the party is outside, right?" Fred stated as he entered the tent. Well looks like I won't get uninterrupted reading just yet.

"You know this is the girls' tent, right?" I quipped back and turned the page of my book.

"Charms? You're really reading school books in the middle of summer? In the middle of one the best Quidditch games of the world?" Fred plopped down beside me and grabbed the book from me.

I just scoffed and reached down into my bag and grabbed out my Transfiguration book. Fred swiped that one too. I then grabbed a herbology book. Fred had to pry that one from my hands, but he is a lot stronger than me. I just grabbed out my animagus book.

"I can do this all-day Fredrick. I have an entire library in my bag."

"Fine I will leave you alone if you make me a promise." Fred promised and I raised my eyebrow and gestured for him to go on. "You never call me Fredrick again." He shuddered.

I laughed, "Well if that is all it will take for you to leave me to read in peace, then consider it done Freddie." I joked and Fred huffed, but returned my books.

"You should consider coming out, Dad's finally got the fire going. He's got food cooking - Bill, Charlie, and Percy should be here soon. You're missing out." Fred made his way out of the tent and with a sigh I followed behind him.

I sat next to Ginny and Anya and enjoyed my eggs and sausage. Bill, Charlie, and Percy had arrived. Nymphie came ten minutes later and ended up tripping over someone's tent, crashing it to the ground. her muttered apologizes were heard across the field. She did manage to make it to the tent without any injuries, though Mr. Weasley politely asked her to sit away from the flames.

"Ahoy there!" Ludo Bagman called happily. He was walking over and Mr. Weasley was waving him over. "Arthur, old man," he puffed as he reached the campfire, "whata day, eh? What a day! Could we have asked for more perfect weather? A cloudless night coming and hardly a hiccough in the arrangements. Not much for me to do!"

"Ah, yes," said Mr. Weasley, grinning, "this is my son Percy. He's just started at the Ministry and this is Fred - no, George, sorry, that's Fred." Fred gave me a glance that said 'I told you so' and I had to hide a snicker. Maybe one day his family will be able to tell them apart.

"Bill, Charlie, Ron, Ginny, Ginny's friend Anya Quester, and Gemma Malfoy. Gemma's cousins Tonks - she also works in the ministry and Ron's friends, Hermione Granger and Harry Potter." Bagman did the smallest of double takes when he heard Harry's name.

"Everyone," Mr. Weasley continued, "this is Ludo Bagman, you know who he is, it's thanks to him we've got such good tickets."

Bagman beamed and waved his hand as if to say it had been nothing. "Fancy a flutter on the match, Arthur?" he said eagerly, jingling what seemed to be a large amount of gold in the pockets of his yellow-and-black robes. "I've already got Roddy Pontner betting me Bulgaria will score first, I offered him nice odds, considering Ireland's front three are the strongest I've seen in years and little Agatha Timms has put up half shares in her eel farm on a weeklong match."

"Oh, go on then," said Mr. Weasley. "Let's see a Galleon on Ireland to win?"

"A Galleon?" Ludo Bagman looked slightly disappointed, but recovered himself. "Very well, very well any other takers?"

"They're a bit young to be gambling," said Mr. Weasley. "Molly wouldn't like-"

"We'll bet thirty-seven Galleons, fifteen Sickles, three Knuts," said Fred as he and George quickly pooled all their money, "that Ireland wins, but Viktor Krum gets the Snitch. Oh, and we'll throw in a fake wand."

"You don't want to go showing Mr. Bagman rubbish like that!" Percy hissed, but Bagman didn't seem to think the wand was rubbish at all; on the contrary, his boyish face shone with excitement as he took it from Fred. When the wand gave a loud squawk and turned into a rubber chicken, most of us joined Bagman in laughter.

"Excellent! I haven't seen one that convincing in years! I'd pay five Galleons for that!" Percy froze in an attitude of stunned disapproval.

"Boys," said Mr. Weasley under his breath, "I don't want you betting. That's all your savings. Your mother..."

"Don't be a spoilsport, Arthur!" boomed Ludo Bagman, rattling his pockets excitedly. "They're old enough to know what they want! You reckon Ireland will win but Krum will get the Snitch? Not a chance, boys, not a chance. I'll give you excellent odds on that one. We'll add five Galleons for the funny wand, then, shall we."

Mr. Weasley looked on helplessly as Ludo Bagman whipped out a notebook and quill and began jotting down the twins' names.

"Cheers," said George, taking the slip of parchment Bagman handed him and tucking it away carefully. Bagman turned most cheerfully back to Mr. Weasley.

"Psst."

"Psssst." I tried again, this time Fred's head shot up and looked around. We made eye contact and he moved closer to hear me.

"Did you just 'psst' me?" He asked incredulously.

"Did you mishear my Pssst? I think Psssst, means Psssst." I clarified.

"Well, I know, I've just never been pssted before. I'm flattered." He put his hand over his heart and batted his eyelashes.

Rolling my eyes, I chose to ignore his statement. "Did you really just put your life savings in a gamble?"

"Well, I think that is what my father meant by 'That's all your savings!' But hey, maybe that very specific sentence is actually ambiguous."

"Wow, I didn't know you knew words with more than two syllables, let alone how to use them." I teased.

"OI!" He exclaimed.

"Look, just be careful, Bagman isn't the most creditable gambler." My smile left and I worriedly chewed on my lip. "I've overhead Lucius ranting about him before. He is not good with money." I glanced across the way where Mr. Weasley, Bagman, and now Crouch were talking. Percy was practically shining Crouch's shoes as they spoke, I glanced back at Fred but he was just smiling at me.

"Now, now Malfoy. Is that concern I hear in your voice? You mean to say that you actually care about more than your appearance?" He laughed, but I just gritted my teeth and tried to bury the flash of anger at his joke.

"Just watch your back Weasel." I hissed and quickly turn away from him.

I finished my food and tried to sneak back off to the tent, but Nymphie held me in place. Finally, it had started getting dark which mean the game was going to start soon. Everyone finished their conversations and then went their separate ways.

Salesmen were now out and about selling an assortment of Irish and Bulgarian themed merchandise. Bill, Charlie, Ginny, and Mr. Weasley were sporting Irish gear. I bought the twins Bulgarian scarves since they used all their money. I got a broom charm for Ginny - luckily, she didn't see so I can give it to her on Christmas. I bought myself a Bulgarian scarf too.

All of sudden red and green lanterns lit up a path leading to the stadium.

"It's time!" said Mr. Weasley, looking as excited as all of them. "Come on, let's go!"

I turned to go back to the tent, but Nymphie grabbed my arm in a death grip and dragged me to the stadium. "At least walk with us to the stadium, then you can go back to the tents. Unless you change your mind..." She winked at me and I rolled my eyes.

I did like seeing how excited everyone was. They were all talking animatedly in groups; Anya was actually skipping. We made it to the entrance of the stadium and I felt excitement wash over me. I could finally get some uninterrupted reading done! I waved to all of them and started walking away, planning on skipping my way back to the tent. However, someone grabbed my hand and I was forced to turn back and look at Fred.

"Where are you going?"

"Where do you think – to read?" I said astonished, I've been talking about it all day.

"I thought you were joking. You're really going to miss the Quidditch World Cup for books? Even Hermione is joining in!"

"Well good for her, but I'm not. Have a good game Weasley." I said shortly and started walking away.

"Oh no, just give it a chance!" He walked in front of me and stuck out his lip, batting his eyelashes.

I scoffed and rolled my eyes, but had to bite back a smile. "Two minutes. I will watch the first two minutes, if you agree to let me read in peace for the rest of the summer, and to never make me watch another game." I bargained.

"Well, I won't have to make you, because after this you will be willing to watch it." He smirked.

We walked the rest of the way to the stadium and inside in comforting silence. I saw the rest of our group near some stairs, they must have waited for Fred. Hundreds of people were rushing around, going up and down stairs all around. 'Were in the top box, all the way up!" Mr. Weasley called and gestured upward.

I felt my eyebrows raise and I looked up the purple carpeted stairs, it went on for ages. I gulped and had to remind myself to breathe. The others started climbing, but I saw Harry glance back at me before Ron pushed him forward to keep the line going. I slowly walking backwards, of course, Fred stopped me.

"I'm not going. It was a stupid deal. I don't want to go, so I'm not going to." I stated firmly, but my voice cracked a bit.

"Are you sacred?" Fred tilted his head and asked with genuine concern.

I so wanted to tell him the truth, but I remember his quip earlier about Malfoy's and buried my feelings. "Malfoys don't have feelings." I went to turn away, but yet again he was in front of me. "Why won't you let me walk away!" I huffed.

"Because we're friends, or I think we are. You helped George and I earlier and I'm trying to help you now."

"I don't do heights." I stared at the ground and I heard Fred let out a sigh. I looked at him, but he had his back to me. Funnily enough, he got down into this awkward crouch. "What are you doing?"

"Hop on! I'm going to give you a piggy back ride."

"I'm not going to watch the game."

"I know. I'm giving you a lift back to the tent." He smiled and I couldn't help the smile that crossed my face.

"You'll miss out on the beginning of the game."

"I'll make it back in plenty of time, don't worry. Now hop on."

I laughed and hopped on. During the twenty-minute walk back we went back and forth telling jokes and Fred told me more about his joke shop. The way he went on and on about his shop was inspiring – he was so passionate. I just wished his mum would actually sit down and listen to the twins' plans one day. Just listening for 60 seconds is enough to know how much this shop means to them.

Fred dropped me of at the tent and I waved him goodbye as he raced back to the stadium. Even from this far away I could hear the cheers and clapping. I had the biggest smile on my face and I don't know exactly why, but I hope it never leaves.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Curled up on the sofa with some hot chocolate and mountains of books I was able to tune out the extremely loud cheers and sounds coming from the stadium. I finished my notes on my charms book and my transfiguration book. I would just have to wait till school to be able to practice the spells. My history of magic book was a bit harder to get through, it is always a tossup with what Professor Binns ask questions on.

Taking a break a few hours into it, I had to rest my hands from all the writing. I poked my head out of the tent and I could hear lot of shouting and then the stadium erupted into cheers. With a chuckle I went back inside the tent and got back to my History of Magic notes. Thankfully, I heard multiple groups talking and singing loudly and hour later. I very willingly put down my notes – just this once – to race outside and greet my family.

We all crammed inside the boys' tent and they went over the game. It was a bit hectic to keep up with, everyone was talking at once and laughing throughout story, but I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. The twins were right about the game too; the Irish won, but Krum caught the snitch. I was so happy that they would have the money to make their dreams come to life.

We stayed up for a couple of more hours talking about the match. We were sent off to bed when Ginny passed out at the table and spilled hot chocolate all over the floor. Nymphie, Anya, Ginny, and I headed to our tent and passed out. There was still singing and cheers coming from outside and I did my best to block it out.

It felt like I had just fallen asleep when a terrifying scream ripped through the night. I sat upright, Nymphie was coming in from outside and she looked completely shaken.

"There's an attack - you need to grab Ginny and Anya and run. Take your wand and go into the woods." Nymphie whispered, terror evident in her face. I hopped up and rushed to the girls. Hermione was already up and heading that way too. We woke them up and scrambled outside.

People were running around everywhere - most fleeing to the woods. I could see flashes of light coming from across the field. I could hear loud jeering, drunken shouts, and frighteningly, laughter from there.

A flash of light illuminated the field; I could see masked hooded men down the field, they were packed in a group, their wands facing upwards. They were floating four struggling figurines in the air - two were small children. The Masked Men were starting tents on fire and moving closer to us. It looked like one of the other figures was Mr. Roberts the campsite manager and his wife.

One of the horrendous men flipped Mrs. Roberts over and her nightgown fell down revealing her bloomers - another made the light boy spin wildly and fast. I felt sick to my stomach.

"That is really sick." Ron stated, he had just come out of the tent followed by all the other boys.

"We're going to help the Ministry!" Mr. Weasley shouted over all the noise, rolling up his own sleeves. "You lot, get into the woods, and stick together. I'll come and fetch you when we've sorted this out!"

Bill, Charlie, and Percy were already sprinting away toward the oncoming marchers; Mr. Weasley tore after them. Ministry wizards were dashing from every direction toward the source of the trouble. The crowd beneath the Roberts family was coming ever closer.

Nymphie went to go after them and help, being an Auror would give her an advantage. She quickly stopped in front me, she put her hand to my cheek "Stay safe - take care of the others - I love you Gem."

"I love you too." I cried as she took off after the rest.

"C'mon," said Fred, grabbing Ginny's hand and starting to pull her toward the wood. I grabbed ahold of Anya and we followed closely behind Ginny. George was behind followed by Harry, Ron, and Hermione.

As we neared the woods, we were jostled by crowds all fleeing. George grabbed my arm and I had Anya's hand she had grabbed onto Ginny. We ran into the woods as far as we could until we finally stopped in a clearing. There were a few stumps, but it looked like someone had cleared trees from this spot.

Turning around I couldn't see Harry, Hermione, or Ron. "Where are they?" I stammered.

We all faced the way we came and looked for the three. There was no sign of them. "George, they were right behind you. Where are they?" I looked to him, but he looked dumbfounded.

"It's not George's fault - you know those three. They'll can't go anywhere without finding themselves in trouble." Ginny defended her brother.

I huffed and sat down on a stump. I pulled my knees up to my chest - I was just wearing a pair of shorts and a t-shirt. I didn't have time to grab my robe. Worry ran through me - for Nymphie, for Harry, Hermione, Ron, and for Cedric. Hopefully they were all okay.

"Who were those people?" Anya asked gingerly. Fred and George shared a glance - they didn't know how to explain it.

"They are death eaters." I stated. I was still curled up in a ball, but Anya came over. "Death Eaters are wizards and witches who believe that pure-bloods are the only ones who should have magic. They believe muggles and muggleborns – or mud-bloods as they call them – are beneath them. That the wizarding world should reveal itself and rule over the muggles."

"That's just silly." Anya shook her head and I just shrugged my shoulders.

"A lot of people thought the same, so nothing really happened for years. Not until HE showed up. Called himself Lord Voldemort -" The Weasleys flinched. "Those who stand against him called him Voldemort." Another round of flinching from the Weasleys. "Those who are scared of him use the names He-who-shall-not-be-named or you-know-who. His followers called him The Dark Lord"

"I've heard stories about him, why are people so scared? How do those masked people fit into this?" Anya questioned.

"When HE appeared he gathered followers, who called themselves Death Eaters. They tortured and murdered thousands of muggles and wizards, children included. Anyone who wasn't on their side, anyone who wasn't pureblood. The Malfoys have been known to associate with HIM." I ground out the last sentence, before taking a deep breath. "Malfoys are Death Eaters."

The silence that surrounded my statement sent my heart dropping. Then I felt a warm hand on my shoulder, looking over Anya smiled down at me and drew me into a hug. Ginny immediately joined in.

"Some death eaters claimed to be controlled and had no choice but to do what HE wanted. Those individuals weren't punished, now they get to continue their reign of terror." I shivered – whether from the coldness or the memories of Christmas three years ago.

Fred and George joined us in sitting, Fred took off his bathrobe, revealing red pajamas that clashed with his hair, but it did make the gold in his brown eyes stand out. He wrapped his bathrobe over my shoulders and I thanked him. It's good to know that they don't look at me as a Death Eater's kid anymore.

We all sat on the stumps each one of us facing a different direction, watching the woods in case someone came out of them. Everything was silent now. I wrapped Fred's robe tighter as the wind picked up. From the direction I was facing I saw a green light illuminate the woods and then a colossal skull with a snake coming out of its mouth sprang up in the sky.

I let out a scream and fell off my stump. I heard panicked whispers from the Weasleys and Fred helped me up, holding me tightly in his arms in case I fell again. My heart was beating rapidly - all I could think of was Cedric, Harry, Nymphie. Were they dead?

That thought made it hard to breathe, I could feel the panic start to consume me. I grabbed onto to Fred and led everyone out of the woods. A small part of me realized that we should've waited, that it could still be very dangerous but I couldn't stop picturing them dead.

We made it to the tree line and we saw smoke rising out of tents, but no fires. No sign of death eaters. I hesitantly stepped out, Fred tightened his hold of my hand and stepped out too. Scanning the area, we saw a few people looking at their tents or for their loved ones.

We all gingerly started walking back to our tent. Not even two minutes later I saw him. His face was covered in soot, his hair windswept. He was in his robe and was frantically looking around.

"CEDRIC!" I yelled with relief, his face whipped around and relief over his features. I ripped my hand away from Fred and ran over to Cedric jumping on him in the biggest hug I have ever given. He picked me up off on the ground for a moment before setting me back down.

"I was so worried! The dark mark was in the sky - I was worried about you." Cedric muttered and held me a bit tighter. "Have you seen my dad? He went to go help; I haven't seen him yet."

"No, I'm sorry Cedric." I pulled back slightly from him. "We've been in the woods; we just came out."

"Well, I'm glad you're all safe." Cedric pulled completely away from me. "I'm going to make my way back to my tent, maybe my dad's there."

We said goodbye and he promised to write me once he was home safe. The rest of us made our way back to the tent in silence. Luckily our tents were still upright. Bill, Charlie, and Percy were there.

Percy had a bloody nose, Charlie's shirt was ripped up, and Bill's arm was bleeding. A small knot of tension left me; Fred, George, and Ginny rushed around giving hugs. I pulled a bedsheet and wrapped it around Bill's arm.

"Where's Ron, Harry, and Hermione?" Bill asked.

"We got separated." George said.

"Where's Nymphie and Mr. Weasley?" I asked.

"There are helping the ministry out. They should be back soon." Charlie stated.

"But they're, okay?" I clarified.

"Yes." Bill assured me and held onto the bedsheet around his arm.

Anxiously, everyone sat around the table in silence, waiting for the rest of our family to show up. Not even ten minutes later voices came from outside the tent. Since Charlie was in the best condition and was of age, he went out to check out the noise. Not even a moment later Mr. Weasley, Hermione, Charlie, Ron, and Harry came into the tent.

We all sat down at the table waiting for the rest of our family to show up. We heard someone outside the tent and Charlie went to go see. He came back in with Mr. Weasley, Harry, Hermione, and Ron. I leapt up and embraced Harry, I didn't know who was squeezing tighter – him or me. My stomach felt lighter, he was okay. They were all okay, we were all okay.

"Thank Merlin you are okay. Andy would've had my hide." Harry muttered. I laughed and patted his cheek, quickly searching his face for any injuries. He really was okay, we both walked back to the table, but Fred stopped me before I got there.

"Can I have my robe back?" He asked coldly. I scrunched up my eyebrows in confusion at his tone. But I took off the robe and handed it to him. He snatched it from me and stomped over to his brother in the far corner. I looked over to Ginny confused but she just glared at me and went and joined the Twins.

What the bloody hell did I do?

I sat down next to Hermione at the table. "Did you get them, Dad?" said Bill sharply, our attention turned to Bill. "The person who conjured the Mark?"

"No," said Mr. Weasley. "We found Barty Crouch's elf holding Harry's wand, but we're none the wiser about who actually conjured the Mark."

"What?" said Bill, Charlie, and Percy together.

"Harry's wand?" I asked and looked at Harry concerned.

"Mr. Crouch's elf?" said Percy, sounding thunderstruck. With some assistance from Harry, Ron, and Hermione, Mr. Weasley explained what had happened in the woods.

"Well, Mr. Crouch is quite right to get rid of an elf like that!" he said. "Running away when he'd expressly told her not to embarrassing him in front of the whole Ministry. How would that have looked, if she'd been brought up in front of the Department for the Regulation and Control."

"She didn't do anything; she was just in the wrong place at the wrong time!" Hermione snapped at Percy, who looked taken aback.

"Hermione, a wizard in Mr. Crouch's position can't afford a house-elf who's going to run amok with a wand!" said Percy pompously, recovering himself.

"She didn't run amok!" shouted Hermione. "She just picked it up off the ground!"

"Look, can someone just explain what that skull thing was?" said Ron impatiently. "It wasn't hurting anyone. Why's it such a big deal?"

"I told you, it's You-Know-Who's symbol, Ron," said Hermione, before anyone else could answer. "I read about it in The Rise and Fall of the Dark Arts."

"And it hasn't been seen for thirteen years," said Mr. Weasley quietly. "Of course, people panicked it was almost like seeing You-Know-Who back again."

"I don't get it," said Ron, frowning. "I mean it's still only a shape in the sky."

"Ron, You-Know-Who and his followers sent the Dark Mark into the air whenever they killed," said Mr. Weasley. "The terror it inspired, you have no idea, you're too young. Just picture coming home and finding the Dark Mark hovering over your house, and knowing what you're about to find inside." Mr. Weasley winced.

"Everyone's worst fear . . . the very worst . . ."There was silence for a moment.

Then Bill, removing the sheet from his arm to check on his cut, said, "Well, it didn't help us tonight, whoever conjured it. It scared the Death Eaters away the moment they saw it. They all Disapparated before we'd got near enough to unmask any of them. We caught the Roberts before they hit the ground, though. They're having their memories modified right now."

"Death Eaters?" said Harry. "What are Death Eaters?"

"It's what You-Know-Who's supporters called themselves," said Bill. "I think we saw what's left of them tonight the ones who managed to keep themselves out of Azkaban, anyway."

"We can't prove it was them, Bill," said Mr. Weasley. "Though it probably was," he added hopelessly.

"Yeah, I bet it was!" said Ron suddenly. "Dad, we met Draco Malfoy in the woods, and he as good as told us his dad was one of those nutters in masks! And we all know the Malfoys were right in with You-Know-Who! They're all evil!"

I stood up silently and left the tent. I saw Nymphie walking up towards the tent; I ran to her and she wrapped me in her arms protectively. I cried into her shoulder and she rubbed my back soothingly, it just seemed like everything was hitting me all at once.

"I'm okay, I promise. I just had to deal with ministry things." She muttered and held me tighter. Once I was done crying, she let me go. "I have to go home; the ministry wants me to be there extremely early. I'm going to go see mum and let her know about everything. Let her know you and Harry are all right."

I nodded my head. "I'm sure Ted and Andy and Snuffles would appreciate finding out from you before this incident hits the papers." I whispered and she smiled gently at me. She said her goodbyes and then left to go to the disapparation point. I made my way into the girls' tent and crawled into bed. I was really grateful to have the room to myself.

I heard Ginny and Anya come in - Anya stopped to check in on me, but I pretended to be asleep. I didn't want to see them; I didn't want to talk or sleep. I didn't even want to read. I don't know what I wanted.

I knew that one of the Death Eaters would've been my father. He probably organized that, honestly. I just don't know why it hurt so much to have others say it - to have other say how dark Malfoy's are and how close to Voldemort Malfoy's are. What makes it worse is that Fred and Ginny are mad at me and I didn't do anything to them. Do they blame me for Lucius' actions? Do they think that I'm evil like other Malfoys?

I just hope that things are better once we start Hogwarts. Knowing that I won't get any sleep I just stared at the tent ceiling until light started peeking through.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

With a sigh I got up and got all my stuff together, I sat on the edge of my bed and waited for the others. Anya poked her head in and I got up and followed her out. The rest of the group was out and the older Weasley boys took down the tents. We walked over to the portkey area and had to all squeeze together to hold on to an old rubber tire.

We arrived at the hill we left from yesterday and had to walk back to the Burrow. It was an eerily quiet walk back to Burrow, partly from the events last night and also from being so tired. As the sun finally reached the middle of the sky we saw the Burrow, an echoing cry pierced the silence and made us all whip our heads up towards the Burrow.

"Oh, thank goodness, thank goodness!" Mrs. Weasley cried, she had been waiting in the front yard, in her bathroom. There was a rolled up Daily Prophet in her hand. "Arthur I've been so worried!" She flung her arms around Mr. Weasley's neck, and the Daily Prophet fell out of her limp hand onto the ground.

The headline of the paper read: SCENES OF TERROR AT THE QUIDDITCH WORLD CUP, complete with a twinkling black-and white photograph of the Dark Mark over the treetops.

What Mr. Weasley said last night swirled in my mind, 'The terror it inspired, just picture coming home and finding the Dark Mark hovering over your house, and knowing what you're about to find inside...'

"You're all right," Mrs. Weasley muttered distractedly, releasing Mr. Weasley and staring around at us all with red eyes, "you're alive. Oh boys!" And to everybody's surprise, she seized Fred and George and pulled them both into such a tight hug that their heads banged together.

"Ouch! Mum, you're strangling us!" Fred wheezed.

"I shouted at you before you left!" Mrs. Weasley said, starting to sob. "It's all I've been thinking about! What if You-Know-Who had got you, and the last thing I ever said to you was that you didn't get enough O.W.L.s? Oh Fred . . . George . . ."

"Come on, now, Molly, we're all perfectly okay," said Mr. Weasley soothingly leading her back toward the house.

"Bill," he added in an undertone, "pick up that paper, I want to see what it says."

We all crammed into the kitchen and Mr. Weasley read the paper with Percy looking over his shoulder.

"I knew it," said Mr. Weasley heavily. "Ministry blunders - culprits not apprehended - lax security - Dark wizards running unchecked - national disgrace. Who wrote this? Ah of course, Rita Skeeter."

"That woman has got it in for the Ministry of Magic!" said Percy furiously. "Last week she was saying we're wasting our time quibbling about cauldron thickness, when we should be stamping out vampires! As if it wasn't specifically stated in paragraph twelve of the Guidelines for the Treatment of Non-Wizard Part-Humans..."

"Do us a favor, Perce," said Bill, yawning, "and shut up."

"I'm mentioned," said Mr. Weasley, his eyes widening behind his glasses as he reached the bottom of the Daily Prophet article.

"Where?" spluttered Mrs. Weasley, choking on her tea and whiskey. "If I'd seen that, I'd have known you were alive!"

"Not by name," said Mr. Weasley. "Listen to this: 'If the terrified wizards and witches who waited breathlessly for news at the edge of the wood expected reassurance from the Ministry of Magic, they were sadly disappointed. A Ministry official emerged sometime after the appearance of the Dark Mark alleging that nobody had been hurt, but refusing to give any more information. Whether this statement will be enough to quash the rumors that several bodies were removed from the woods an hour later, remains to be seen.'

"Oh really," said Mr. Weasley in exasperation, handing the paper to Percy. "Nobody was hurt. What was I supposed to say? Rumors that several bodies were removed from the woods well, there certainly will be rumors now she's printed that." He heaved a deep sigh. "Molly, I'm going to have to go into the office; this is going to take some smoothing over."

"I'll come with you, Father," said Percy importantly. "Mr. Crouch will need all hands-on deck. And I can give him my cauldron report in person." He bustled out of the kitchen.

Mrs. Weasley looked most upset. "Arthur, you're supposed to be on holiday! This hasn't got anything to do with your office; surely they can handle this without you?"

"I've got to go, Molly," said Mr. Weasley. "I've made things worse. I'll just change into my robes and I'll be off."

Mrs. Weasley busied herself by making food for everyone. There was talk of a quidditch game after lunch, I refused food and went upstairs to the room and laid down in bed. I could see the field from here. After realizing that I wasn't falling asleep, I grabbed my potions book and half an hour later the quidditch game started.

Hermione made her way into the bedroom and we shared a smile. She grabbed one of her books and we huddled around the window to watch the game from here.

It seemed to by Harry, Ginny, Anya, and Bill on one team and Charlie, Fred, George, and Ron on the other. We read in silence, but I seemed to do more reading than Hermione. There were times when she was just watching the game outside.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The week past swiftly, Ginny started talking to me again - but we never talked about why she was upset in the first place. Fred still hadn't talked to me, but he was at least willing to be in the same room. Percy and Mr. Weasley were never at home - they left for work before the sun rose and arrived hours after dinner. What happened at the World Cup was a huge disaster and it didn't help that Rita Skeeter was still printing more lies about it.

Harry and I both got letters from home; Sirius, Andy, and Ted all wrote a letter together for us. They were all relieved we were okay, Sirius kept hinting at a surprise for us when we came home for summer holidays next year, but refused to give us any information beyond that. Andy told me that she was excited to show Cedric around and that he was shadowing her next week to see if becoming a healer is something he really wanted to do. I was so happy for him and made a note to talk with him on the train to get all the details.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"It's been an absolute uproar," Percy told us the Sunday before we were supposed to leave for Hogwarts. "I've been putting out fires all week. People keep sending Howlers, and of course, if you don't open a Howler straight away, it explodes. Scorch marks all over my desk and my best quill reduced to cinders."

"Why are they all sending Howlers?" Ginny asked as she looked up from her exploding snap game with Anya. I glanced up from my History of Magic book.

"Complaining about security at the World Cup," said Percy. "They want compensation for their ruined property. Mundungus Fletcher's put in a claim for a twelve-bedroomed tent with En-suite Jacuzzi, but I've got his number. I know for a fact he was sleeping under a cloak propped on sticks."

Mrs. Weasley sighed. "Your father hasn't had to go into the office on weekends since the days of You-Know-Who," she said. "They're working him far too hard. His dinner's going to be ruined if he doesn't come home soon."

"Well, Father feels he's got to make up for his mistake at the match, doesn't he?" said Percy. "If truth be told, he was a tad unwise to make a public statement without clearing it with his Head of Department first..."

"Don't you dare blame your father for what that wretched Skeeter woman wrote!" said Mrs. Weasley, flaring up at once.

Everyone looked between the two, Ron and Harry were in the corner of the room using a broom repair kit on Harry's Firebolt. Hermione was sitting next to them reading Transfiguration and the twins were bent over a piece of parchment, whispering.

"If Dad hadn't said anything, old Rita would just have said it was disgraceful that nobody from the Ministry had commented," said Bill, who was playing chess with Ron. "Rita Skeeter never makes anyone look good. Remember, she interviewed all the Gringotts' Charm Breakers once, and called me 'a long-haired pillock'?"

"Well, it is a bit long, dear," said Mrs. Weasley gently. "If you'd just let me —"

"No, Mum." Bill firmly said.

"What are you two up to?" said Mrs. Weasley sharply, her eyes on the twins.

"Homework," said Fred vaguely.

"Don't be ridiculous, you're still on holiday," said Mrs. Weasley.

"Yeah, we've left it a bit late," said George.

"You're not by any chance writing out a new order form, are you?" said Mrs. Weasley shrewdly. "You wouldn't be thinking of restarting Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes, by any chance?"

"Now, Mum," said Fred, looking up at her, a pained look on his face. "If the Hogwarts Express crashed tomorrow, and George and I died, how would you feel to know that the last thing we ever heard from you was an unfounded accusation?"

Everyone laughed, even Mrs. Weasley. "Oh, your father's coming!" she said suddenly, looking up at the clock again. Mr. Weasley's hand had suddenly spun from "work" to "traveling"; a second later it had shuddered to a halt on "home" with the others, and they heard him calling from the kitchen.

"Coming, Arthur!" called Mrs. Weasley, hurrying out of the room. A few moments later, Mr. Weasley came into the warm living room carrying his dinner on a tray. He looked completely exhausted.

"Well, the fat's really in the fire now," he told Mrs. Weasley as he sat down in an armchair near the hearth and toyed unenthusiastically with his somewhat shriveled cauliflower. "Rita Skeeter's been ferreting around all week, looking for more Ministry mess-ups to report. And now she's found out about poor old Bertha going missing, so that'll be the headline in the Prophet tomorrow. I told Bagman he should have sent someone to look for her ages ago."

"Mr. Crouch has been saying it for weeks and weeks," said Percy swiftly.

"Crouch is very lucky Rita hasn't found out about Winky," said Mr. Weasley irritably. "There'd be a week's worth of headlines in his house-elf being caught holding the wand that conjured the Dark Mark."

"I thought we were all agreed that that elf, while irresponsible, did not conjure the Mark?" said Percy hotly.

"If you ask me, Mr. Crouch is very lucky no one at the Daily Prophet knows how mean he is to elves!" said Hermione angrily.

"Now look here, Hermione!" said Percy. "A high-ranking Ministry official like Mr. Crouch deserves unswerving obedience from his servants..."

"His slave, you mean!" said Hermione, her voice rising passionately, "because he didn't pay Winky, did he?"

"I think you'd all better go upstairs and check that you've packed properly!" said Mrs. Weasley, breaking up the argument. "Come-on now, all of you. . .."

We all grumbled but went back upstairs. I made sure all my things were properly packed being very careful of the twins' pranks hidden inside. I looked at my dress one more time before shutting my trunk. I don't know why we need dress robes, but I am excited to wear mine.

I popped down to Harry and Ron's room to check on them. Walking in I saw Ron holding this ghastly piece of ruffled garment. He looked horrified and threw it against the opposite wall of his room.

"Are you okay Ron?" I asked and picked up the garment. It was a very old dress robe.

"Mum's just given me those. I'm supposed to wear those?! They'll make me look like me Great Aunt Tessie! I'll smell like my Great Aunt Tessie!" He plopped down on his bed and groaned.

I shared a glance with Harry. "I'm sure you'll be fine, if anything I can work some magic on them at Hogwarts. Cut off some pieces, change the color - make them look different." I suggested.

"Would you?" He said hopefully as he took the robes back.

"Of course. Now make sure everything is packed. I'll see you both in the morning." I left the room and made my way back to my room. Just as I walked past Fred and George's room, Fred poked his head out and dragged me into his room.

"What are you playing at?" I asked a bit roughly.

"Look Gemma I wanted to say how sorry I am for giving you the cold shoulder this week." Fred started off saying.

"Why did you?" I asked.

"I can't say - not yet anyway. Just please accept my apology." He pleaded.

"Just want to make sure I understand you... you treat me horribly for weeks – give me a half-arsed apology, refuse to tell me why you think I deserved that treatment –which I didn't - and expect me to forgive you?" I crossed my hands and glared up at him.

"I know. You're completely right Gems, I was an arse. You deserve so much better that I treated you. Forgive me?"

"You literally just said what I said. That's not even a real apology!" I exclaimed.

"Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please.?" He begged and he even got down on his knees and took my hands in his.

"I'll forgive you on two terms – you have to promise to tell me the exact reason why you were a dick, not now – but one day. You have to make up these last few weeks of treatment and I deserve a real apology when you can figure out how to use your words."

"Deal!" He jumped up and crushed me into a hug. "Wait! That was three things!"

"You already agreed." I laughed at his dumbfounded expression.

"Fine, but um I did want to ask you something?" He let go of me and actually looked nervous. "Er - I was actually still wondering if your trunk was still available to smuggle out items?"

"So, this is why you really apologized. So, you could use me as a free pack-mule." I joked.

"We'll pay you-" Fred said desperately.

"You'll do nothing of the sort! I was only teasing you. You need all the money you can manage. Speaking of which, did you get that money from Mr. Bagman?"

"No. George and I are going to send an Owl tomorrow from Hogwarts, hopefully we'll get the money then."

"Well hopefully you do. Your joke items are still in my trunk, but if you need to add more go for it. My trunk is unlocked." I walked over to the door, "Goodnight Fred." I smiled.

"Goodnight Gems." He whispered and I headed back to my room.

Over the next hour Fred and George came in to hide things in my trunk. I told them to just take it to their room to make it easier, besides Hermione would have a heart attack if she saw them riffling through my things. Now that I was on better terms with Fred and Ginny, I fell into a peaceful sleep dreaming about what this year at Hogwarts would entail - something happy, I hope.  

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

83.5K 1.6K 20
Valentina Black loses her mother and little sister after they were murdered in their home one night. She then gets dropped off to her father's helpe...
146K 2.5K 120
Living in a pure blood family is tough and it only gets harder after attending Hogwarts . You're family is close friends with the malfoys whilst your...
24K 346 32
*COMPLETED* Aurora Snape, the daughter of Potions Professor, Severus Snape, goes to Hogwarts at 11 years old. During her time there she fall in love...
1K 76 35
What would happen if Draco and Hermione got married and had kids? Gemma Malfoy is the youngest out of her siblings and can feel left out at times. He...