Favorite of the King

Por LeeraIvy

The Pevensie siblings have ruled Narnia for many years. Narnia has entered its Golden Era, filled with peace... Mais

Map of Narnia and the Surrounding Countries
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Epilogue
Thank You
Return to Narnia

Chapter 29

838 29 24
Por LeeraIvy

    Yvaine locked herself in her room the minute they got home. She heard Evolet and Batur climb the stairs behind her. She had no clue where Edmund had gone, but she assumed he was still at the palace.

    Yvaine sat down at her vanity and stared at her reflection. She gritted her teeth in anger. He can't just do that! They can't force me into something like this. How could Father agree? And Hakan knew that we broke into his office all along? Why didn't he say something?

    She grabbed a pair of scissors and pulled her long hair over her shoulders. Without a second thought, Yvaine began to cut it. She didn't stop until it was as short as Lucy's and hung between her shoulder blades. He won't use that as a way to identify me again.

    A fist pounded on the door. "Yvaine, come out, please," Evolet called.

    Yvaine slumped over her vanity and drew in a few shuddering breaths. Finally, she stood and unlocked the door. Evolet's eyes widened, taking in her hair, but she said nothing. Batur's mouth dropped open.

    "Your hair." He touched her head gently. "Why did you cut it?"

    "Because it was getting too long," Yvaine replied.

    "But you never cut it that short. I thought you liked keeping it long, like your mother's."

    "How could you do this? Why would you agree to that?" Yvaine demanded, ignoring his comment.

    "I didn't want to. I tried everything I could to keep them from making this arrangement, but Hakan gave me no choice." Batur lowered his head. "He told me what you helped King Edmund do. He said that if I didn't comply and give you over to Javaid, he would expose your actions and have you executed."

    "And what's to stop him from doing that anyway? You know I hate Lord Javaid. You knew I wouldn't want this!" Yvaine stiffened as a tear dripped down her cheek. She brushed it away. It took all of her self control to keep the others from falling.

    "Yvaine, you need to talk to Edmund and find out what's going on," Evolet said softly.

    "That won't be possible. You've been barred from the palace until the wedding," Batur interrupted.

    "Why?" Yvaine asked.

    "I don't know. That's just what I was told."

    Yvaine retreated to her bed and sat down. She rubbed her forehead, trying to clear her thoughts. "Father, you must know what's going on."

    "I don't. I haven't been privy to King Hakan's meetings with his most trusted. I've only been to the Council meetings."

    "Then you have to find out." Yvaine lifted her gaze and met his.

    "You want me to spy on our king?"

    "He is not my king," Yvaine growled. "Hakan is planning something. I know that it will cost Narnia and Telmar greatly. We have to find out what it is and stop it before it's too late."

    "I'll do what I can," Batur sighed. "I'm sorry, my Darling, but I couldn't see you killed." He left the room without another word.

    "What are you planning?" Evolet asked.

    "I doubt my father will be able to learn much. Lord Javaid, however, seems to be a new favorite of the king. Maybe I can get him to tell me something," Yvaine thought aloud. "He must actually be attracted to me in some way if he wanted to marry me."

    "And what about Edmund?"

    "I don't know. I can't get to the palace to talk to him so it's possible that King Hakan won't allow him to leave." She thought for a moment. "Can you go talk to him for me?"

    Evolet grinned and nodded. "Of course I can. I'll tell him what you're planning and find out everything I can."

    "Tomorrow, though. Hakan might suspect something today. Besides," Yvaine broke off and yawned. "We've been up all night and it's already after sunrise. I'd say we deserve some rest."

    "I'll see you in the evening or tomorrow morning," Evolet agreed. She stepped out of the room and closed the door behind her.

    Yvaine quickly changed into her nightclothes and climbed into bed. Her eyes were closed the second her head hit her pillow.

    When she opened them, she was standing in a starry clearing. Yvaine looked to the sky and located the constellations that Edmund had shown her. The stars began to shift, suddenly flying about the sky. They formed the head of a lion.

    "Aslan," Yvaine whispered.

    The starry lion blinked, before changing again. She saw a scroll, then a sword. A centaur reared and slammed his hooves down into a human. She saw two men in crowns dueling. Now, there was a man and woman. The woman raised her sword as the man fell. Yvaine heard a scream and the sky went black.

    She bolted upright in bed, the vision fresh in her mind. Yvaine glanced out the window. It was broad daylight. Her door cracked open and Batur poked his head in. "You're awake, finally."

    "Finally? I was only asleep for a little while," Yvaine replied, scrunching her brows in confusion.

    "Actually, you've been asleep for a day and a night," Batur replied. "Evolet went home the same day you got back and hasn't been by so I assume she's been sleeping as well."

    Or talking to Edmund, Yvaine thought. She climbed out of bed and stretched. She froze, spying her reflection in the mirror. Oh, right. The hair that she'd cut had been removed from the room already.

    "Lady Merredin is here," Batur said. "I was coming to get you. You're supposed to start wedding planning today, since you only have four days left."

    "Father, there must be some way out of this."

    "I wish there was. I don't know what you can do. You can't very well get married to someone else. Hakan and Javaid would simply have them killed."

    Yvaine sighed, but recalled her plan. At least I can put it into action. She began to brush her hair and style it. It was strange, having so much less than before. "Have you heard anything from King Edmund?"

    Batur shook his head. "I haven't been to the palace. Why do you keep asking about him."

    Yvaine bit her lip. At last, she faced her father. "I'm in love with him."

    Batur's shoulders slumped. "I was afraid of that. Does he return your feelings?" Yvaine nodded. Batur said nothing more, but hugged her tightly. "I'll see if I can speak with him." He stepped back out of the room a moment later.

    Yvaine quickly threw on a dress, grabbed her dagger, and ran down the stairs. She contemplated taking Lucy's cordial, but decided against it, for fear that Lady Merredin would confiscate it. Lady Merredin was waiting by the door. "Finally. You're not very punctual. That will have to change." She grabbed her by the arm roughly. They piled into a carriage and were soon headed towards the Otsana Manor.

    Yvaine had to stifle a groan when the carriage rolled through the gates. Javaid was already there and waiting. The carriage stopped and he opened the door, holding a hand towards her. She took it and let him help her down, the first gentlemanly move he'd ever made towards her. He helped his mother down next and they entered the manor.

    Lady Merredin led them into a large drawing room, where several seamstresses were waiting. They had bolts of fabric, thread, buttons, and other accessories waiting. "Go stand over there," Merredin ordered. Rather than make a scene, Yvaine obeyed. She stood atop a stool and the seamstresses waited behind her. "What do you think, Darling?"

    Javaid's gaze roamed over Yvaine and the bolts of fabric. "Silver with bits of gold. I want the kingdom to know who she belongs to." Yvaine fought the urge to scowl.

    "A wonderful choice." Lady Merredin pointed to two bolts of cloth. "Start with those and the pattern I already gave you. I'll choose accessories later."

    One of the seamstresses nodded. The other held up a measuring tape and began to jot down Yvaine's measurements. At last, both of them stepped away. "Come take a walk with me." Lord Javaid offered Yvaine an arm. "We have much to discuss."

    Yvaine let out a frustrated sigh and took his arm. They set off walking back out of the manor, with Lady Merredin trailing a short distance behind them. Javaid led her across the manor grounds, remaining silent.

    "I thought we had things to talk about," Yvaine said finally.

    "Yes. Things such as your role as my wife, what will be expected of you, and children, of course." Yvaine fought the impulse to gag. "Oh, and I've heard that you and King Edmund spent a lot of time together before you left for Narnia. He hasn't spoiled you, has he?" Javaid grimaced and looked her over. "I don't want my bride to be marred in any way."

    Yvaine wrenched her arm away from him. "How dare you insult myself and King Edmund like that. How dare you even imply such things! Frankly, it wouldn't even be your business, even if it was true! I am not some object or toy for you to parade around!" She shoved him away.

    Javaid stumbled, but caught himself. "It seems you're more headstrong than ever. That won't do." His gaze flickered around their surroundings. "Do you remember our little joke with the pigs when we were little? I think they've missed you."

    Yvaine suddenly realized where they were. Before she had a chance to react, Javaid had grabbed her by the waist and thrown her over a fence. She landed in a puddle of squelching mud. Yvaine struggled to stand. Already, several pigs were surrounding her, sniffing and making their strange sounds. She squeezed her eyes shut and screamed, trying to get away from the nasty creatures.

    Vaguely, Yvaine heard Javaid laughing. She didn't care. All that mattered was getting away. She flailed her legs and her foot collided with something solid. A pig gave an angry squeal and she crawled towards the small barn connected to the yard. Yvaine felt salty tears burn her eyes as she pulled herself away from the pigs. She could barely catch her breath. She twisted into the barn and hauled the door shut.

    Yvaine sobbed and pulled her legs up to her chin, ignoring the mud and filth that clung to her. "I hate pigs. I hate them. I hate Javaid. I hate Telmar. I hate Hakan," she cried, rocking herself.

    A small oink startled her. Yvaine started to scoot away, as a small fuzzy pink head poked out from beneath a feeding trough. Several others joined it. The little piglets wiggled out into the open and waddled towards her, squealing and oinking.

    "Go away!" She gasped. They didn't. They just crept closer, tripping over each other and grunting curiously. One of them stumbled into her foot and squealed. It butted its head against her foot again. Yvaine made herself stay still, despite the panic that clung to the edges of her mind. She watched one of the piglets that had begun to roll about on the floor. "I guess...you're not so bad. It's the big ones that I really don't like."

    Yvaine hesitantly held a hand down to one of the piglets. She scratched its back, as she'd seen many other people do. It let out a small grunt of contentment. "I can't stay in here for long," she sighed. She stood and reopened the barn door. The large pigs were still there, grunting and squealing. Yvaine clutched the fence rail and made herself walk around them. The piglets followed her out, distracting the pigs. Yvaine leaped over the fence and drew in a deep breath.

    "Javaid, is that any way to treat your future wife?" Lady Merredin scolded. "She's covered in mud and we're hosting an engagement ball tonight!" She grabbed the pig's water pail from beneath a pump and dumped it over Yvaine's head, laughing. "Come on. You smell like a pig." Merredin and Javaid started back towards the manor.

    Yvaine wiped the few tears that fell and blinked rapidly. "It'll be all right," she told herself. "Just find out what you can. You'll leave as soon as possible." She didn't just mean the Otsana Manor.

Continuar a ler

Também vai Gostar

62.1K 3.4K 53
𝐅𝐢𝐫𝐬𝐭 𝐁𝐨𝐨𝐤 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 '𝐀𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞' 𝐒𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬 Once upon a time, in a faraway land- well, actually near the faraway land of fantasy...
490K 14.7K 31
"You're not going anywhere, if anything your little boyfriend will just have another seat next to you." Peter threatens. A sharp laugh fell uncontrol...
30.8K 503 24
Y/N Goldsbane is the adopted daughter of Professor Kirke, the man who houses the four Pevensie children. When four children join her, they discover...
205K 4.3K 31
𝐶𝑜𝑚𝑒 ℎ𝑒𝑟𝑒 𝑡𝑜 𝑔𝑙𝑜𝑎𝑡 ℎ𝑎𝑣𝑒 𝑦𝑜𝑢? 𝐶𝑜𝑚𝑒 𝑜𝑛 𝐼'𝑚 𝑛𝑜𝑡 𝑡ℎ𝑎𝑡 𝑏𝑎𝑑, 𝑎𝑚 𝐼? Katherine Edwards has lived next door to the Pev...