Chapter 18

Yvaine chewed the end of her pencil thoughtfully. Her notebook was spread open on the desk before her. She hastily wrote down a few more notes beneath one of her questions that had recently been answered.

The castle library was silent, with the exception of crackling candle flames. She was the only one in there and it was nice to be by herself. Yvaine had spent the entire morning discussing more treaty terms with High King Peter and his siblings.

After a light dinner, Peter had announced that he was going on a ride to visit some of the centaurs. Edmund had decided to accompany him. She hadn't heard what Susan and Lucy were doing and, for once in her life, she had no clue where Evolet was.

Yvaine flipped a few of the pages and found one of the questions she'd been looking for. What do Narnian stars look like? She began to write down what Edmund had shown her only a few nights ago. Ever since then, Yvaine had been trying to minimize their interactions.

Not that she was avoiding him, of course. She always politely answered when he spoke with her, but she never sought him out herself. Yvaine bit her lip and continued to write. I can't let anything jeopardize Father or Evolet's family. If Edmund and I became involved with each other and King Hakan found out... she shuddered at the thought.

The library door banged shut and she jumped, streaking her pencil across the paper. "Sorry, I didn't realize there was someone in here," Susan exclaimed.

"It's all right." Yvaine eyed the damaged page. It didn't hinder her ability to read her notes.

"What are you doing, anyway? I would've thought you'd be with Evolet by the stables."

So that's where she is, Yvaine thought. "I had a few things to write down. I like making up lists of questions and marking down the answers when I learn them."

"Really? May I see?" Susan gestured towards her notebook.

"Of course." Yvaine handed it to the Queen. She flipped through the pages, skimming over Yvaine's notes.

"I see Edmund has been a good teacher for you, surprisingly," she chuckled. "You've learned a lot." Susan handed the notebook back.

"I hope to learn more, in time. There's still so much that I don't know."

"Edmund said you were curious. I didn't realize how much so."

Yvaine grinned. "I'm intrigued by a lot of things, but Narnia most of all."

"Why is that?" Susan sat down and crossed her arms.

I probably could have worded that better, Yvaine groaned inwardly. She thought for a moment. "When I was little, my mother would tell me stories about Narnia. I'm not sure where she learned them. She always dreamed about coming here, but never got the chance. It was she who taught me to write down my thoughts and questions. Father says she was always curious too."

"Where is she now?"

"She died when I was nearly nine."

Susan's gaze became sympathetic. "I'm so sorry."

"Thank you. It's nice to talk about her sometimes." Yvaine knit her brows, suddenly confused.

"What is it?" Susan asked.

"Oh, it's nothing. I'll leave you to...whatever you're doing." Yvaine stood quickly.

"No, please. You can stay. I've been meaning to get to know you better."

Yvaine sat down again. "If you're certain." Susan nodded and moved over to a bookshelf.

Yvaine opened her notebook again and turned to a blank page. She wrote her father's name at the top and underlined it. He told me that Mother died, but there was no body. He thought she drowned at sea, but what was she doing there? I don't remember her ever mentioning that she was sailing somewhere. Yvaine leaned her forehead against her palm and wrote down a new question. What really happened to my mother?