Hello Darkness

Per shauna_philp

Charley Beckett-perfectly sane, normal, Charley Beckett-counts everything. Years since her parents' unsolved... Més

Cover page
Copyright
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty - Six
Chapter Twenty - Seven
Chapter Twenty - Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Chapter Fifty-Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty-One
Chapter Sixty-Two
Thank You!

Chapter Sixty-Three

155 7 0
Per shauna_philp

Selene insisted that Breccan, Alma and I stay within Silvano Manor. They didn't trust Lace and her final intentions. They housed Alma and I in a small brick house, in sight of the manor. I would have been happy anywhere as long as I was with Alma.

She's sitting across from me with her feet propped up, sunk into the couch reading a book. I lean over to grab my boots. My movement disturbs her, and she jumps off the couch. She's radiant. Vampiracy suits her well. She flourished. The only thing I miss are her little freckles, replaced with flawless peachy skin.

Her hair has grown to her shoulders, rivaling mine. Just last week Gabby cut mine for the first time. Now, it hangs long and braided over my shoulder. And the most beautiful red. I've never let myself like my red hair. It always reminded me of who I was—but never again will I hide it.

"Breccan said he's got plans for us tonight." Her smile is big and bright and toothy.

"I know, I'm just heading up to the house for a bit."

She stares at me, silver lining her eyes. And I hate it when this happens.

"Stop looking at me like that," I say turning away.

"I'm just so happy. We wouldn't have all this if it weren't for you. You were so brave—you saved our lives."

"Alma—stop it. I can't deal with this for the next three hundred years."

She laughs swinging her arms around my neck. I hold her. I lied. This would never get old, even after a million.

She pulls away. "Do you want me to come with you?"

"You're fine. Stay and read. It's nice to see you doing something normal." I give her arm a little squeeze.

"Don't be too long, Breccan wants us to meet him soon."

"I wouldn't miss it."

I nearly run into Julian as I open the door. Fixing the cuff of his white button-up shirt, a bouquet of flowers in his hand. That explains the fresh lilies we always have on the table. Something has changed in him over the past few weeks. I give him a behave yourself glare before pushing past, but I know Alma will put him in his place if necessary.

As I walk up to the manor house I hear a familiar laugh and high-pitched giggle. Across the road Breccan leans against the railing of a small white front porch. And the giggle came from—Gabby? I nearly trip over a stone and fall on my face. I wave before continuing to the house.

Word of Victor's death spread through the communities. As the Ambassador to the Authority, Lazarus and the other members of his council felt confident in appointing Reuben as the Master of Ettore Estates. They have great optimism in the community's survival and are looking forward to this new reign and rekindling the relationship.

I knock out of politeness before opening the door. When no one greets me, I stroll into the parlor, admiring a large painting in a mahogany frame. It was a sunset the color of peaches and bursting with gold.

Suddenly, Talum materializes next to me. "I have something I want to show you," he says. "But Laz wants to talk to you first. Also, hi."

I bite back a smile and follow Talum through the living room to an open door. Lazarus sits behind a large oak desk with several folders piled in front of him. His hair is pulled back into a ponytail at the base of his neck.

"Charley. I'm glad you stopped in." He glances up from the piles. Rueben has brought us the remaining documents from the cabinets. The files—they were a list of names."

My stomach flips. "Were they all people from the lab?"

Lazarus nods. "And their families."

"He killed a lot of people, didn't he?"

Lazaraus sighs. "Yes."

My heart squeezes, I know the feeling of losing loved ones too well. I see the faces of those in Joe's group, their stories replay in my mind. "Is there any chance we could find their families? At least to give them closure."

Lazarus looks up from the folders and gives me a warm smile. "That's very kind of you. I think that can be arranged."

"Could I oversee that?"

"You want to?" Lazarus looks from under his eyebrows.

"My parents were some of his victims and I want to be able to help them find peace. How do I know there's not more people like me? People that saw something and have no one that believes them." Like Charley's Disciples. I'd taken flowers to Joe's grave, but I needed to do more.

Lazarus nods. "Certainly. We'll assemble you a team."

~*~

"I want to show you something," Talum says, backing up a set of stairs. The Silvano manor is no less luxurious than Victor's home, except people roamed in and out freely—warm and welcome.

Talum leads me down a hall and up a staircase to the second floor. We stop in front of a set of double doors, where loud grunting could be heard. I furrow my brows and look at Talum, who smiles back before pushing through the doors.

One half of the room is filled with paintings, easels and easels of them. They hang on the walls, in any free space.

"Any painting you see throughout the house, were created by myself or Selene. She only puts her favorites out for display though."

I pause admiring one of a ferris wheel twinkling beneath the night sky. "You painted the one in the parlor."

He nods, a blush blooming on his cheeks.

On the other side, Selene is flinging paint at a large canvas. Deep purple and blue streak her white blonde ponytail, while a rainbow of splotches decorate her jean overalls and white shirt.

I move to her side, admiring her work. The colors mixing and mingling, pinks, oranges and greens blending with violet, blues and yellow.

Talum cocks his head to the side. "It kinda looks like a frog." He flicks his playful blue eyes at Selene.

"Oh, hush, you." Selene pushes on his shoulder, leaving a multi-colored handprint there. She sticks her brushes into a jar of water. "I'll let you two be. I should clean up anyways."

When she shut the door behind her, I turn back to Talum. "So, this is the famous gallery. I'm impressed. Do I get a tour?"

"Well, of course." He sticks out his elbow and I slip my arm through it, my cheeks warming. Some of the paintings were like the one Selene worked on, splashes of color here and there. No rhyme or reason. Talum said her mood deciphers the colors she uses. But that style is her favorite because it's active painting.

But Talum's were meticulously constructed scenes with the finest details. I smile—not surprised. Dozens of paintings of sunsets, in which he blends the pinks, oranges and yellows, just right.

He pauses in front of one—not a sunset at all. Two pairs of feet lay before a fire, the smoke winding into a starry sky. I smile, biting my lip. "Did you paint that night because I said I would?"

Talum turns toward me, his hand tracing my jaw until his fingers rests behind my ear. "No, Charley. I painted that night because I never wanted to forget. That was the night you stole a piece of my barely-beating, undead heart."

My cheeks flood with warmth and I can't look away from his blue eyes. Everything about them pulls me in. Our breath mingles, but he doesn't hesitate this time. His lips met mine, tender and soft, with a hint of longing. I want to stay here forever. When he pulls away, it's too soon.

Something brushes my leg. A small fluffy black cat winds around our feet. "Who's this?" I smirk, picking up the cat and scratching it behind it's soft ears.

"This is Mittens." He looks away trying not to smile. "My cat."

I scratch under her chin, and set her back down. "You're so predictable," I say, as a car rumbles outside.

"I've got one more thing to show you." He slips his fingers into mine and maneuvers me through the maze of easels, to one tucked in the back and covered with a cloth. "I'm really proud of this one. I just finished it." His eyes light when he talks about it. He holds the bottom of the cloth, his eyes filled with anticipation.

"Well, are you going to show me or just keep dancing around it?" I say, gesturing toward the painting.

"Okay, are you ready?"

"Yes." I laugh. "Show me."

He flips the sheet over the canvas. I don't blink. I don't breathe. I don't move.

Driving into a sunset is a cherry red Corvette. A red-haired girl and a black-haired boy in the front seat. Tears filled my eyes. It's the most beautiful thing anyone has ever done for me.

"It's beautiful." I can't take my eyes off it. "But, I thought you only painted things you wanted to remember."

"I guess I can tell the future now." He winks.

The rumble of the car outside again catches my attention. "You didn't!"

"I can't take all the credit."

In an instant, I'm outside the house. On the rounded drive, Breccan leans against Yvette, her purring motor the most beautiful music to my ears. Alma stands at his side. Talum appears next to me, slipping his hand around my waist. I cover my mouth, unable to take another step. My heart swells.

"Well, what are you waiting for?" Breccan calls when I didn't move.

I swing my hands around his neck. "How can I ever thank you?"

"By driving it. Now, get in before I take it." He laughs, opening the driver's side door.

I slide into her newly upholstered interior. She looks brand new. I take a deep breath of leather and gasoline and smile.

"Here." Alma reaches across the side of the car. A tiny picture frame hangs from a chain. The picture of the four of us from Dad's locker. I don't know how she'd gotten it, but I hold it to my chest for a moment before hanging it over the mirror.

Talum slips into the seat next to me. "What do you say? Let's recreate that picture."

I didn't think the smile will ever leave my face or the warmth will leave my heart. This is everything.

I pull onto the road, the warm summer breeze whipping tiny strands of hair into my face.

Talum reaches across the console, linking his fingers with mine. "We don't ever have to stop."

"But now I've got something to stay for."

Continua llegint

You'll Also Like

1.4K 146 43
4 girls. 4 lies. 1 common secret. Secrets are dangerous. Lies are even more. Welcome to Paradise Highschool, 'Where it's all possible.' Adrianna stru...
5K 1.3K 26
Desperate to stop the events of a recurring nightmare, Leora is forced into a world that wants nothing more than to see her dead. ...
9.7M 372K 106
Book 1 of (The Awakening Series) {#1 Supernatural} {#1 Paranormal} {#1 Lycans} {#1 Vampire Romance} {#5 Royalty} The world went to shit long before I...
664 30 8
••• (Your P.O.V.) ••• Three years ago, I lost my sight in a car accident. Both of my parents were killed in the process, leaving me parentless. I was...